Categories > Books > Redwall > Pride of Kavazara

Notes and Glossary

by Forge 0 reviews

It is recommended you read this before proceeding

Category: Redwall - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Fantasy - Published: 2006-02-16 - Updated: 2006-02-17 - 2282 words

1Original
The world of Redwall is created by Brian Jacques. Redwall Abbey, Mossflower, Salamandastron, the Long Patrol, Martin the Warrior, etc, are the property of Brian Jacques.

This is a work of fiction. Any similarities to persons, living or dead, climes, locales or situations are either coincidental or are used fictiously.

Special thanks goes to Dani, aka "Sounasha" (FanFiction.net ID: 9152), for creating her wonderful story "Vengeance Quest." (FanFiction.net ID: 1965410) As some characters are borrowed--with the author's permission--it is recommended that the reader first reads Vengeance Quest.

Notes on Kavazaran cultures: Remember that the Kavarzarans are from a foreign area, and would thus speak differently. reference, colloqualisms, and social comments will be different from those of Mossflower denizens.

(Templars, Wraiths).....(Crimson Guard)
Private..................N/A
Private First Class......N/A
Corporal.................N/A
Sergeant.................Pilus
Staff Sergeant...........Pilus Prior
Master Sergeant..........Magna Pilus
Sergeant Major...........Suma Pilus
Lieutenant...............Centurion
Captain..................Tribune
Major....................N/A
N/A......................Praetor
Colonel..................N/A
Brigadier General........N/A
General..................Archon
War Marshal..............Arbiter
Grand Marshal............Grand Marshal


FORMAL WEAPONS
Dawn: Longsword of Tigron Sandstar. 36-inch blade and 6-inch hilt. Blade is uniform until it tapers sharply at the last three inches. Hilt is made of bronze, with straight guards that curve up bladewards near the tips. Blade is almost flat. Heavily engraved with wraithstone.

Dusk: Scythe of Tigron Sandstar. Black steel-plated wood handle is approximately four feet in length and is minutely curved. The blade is set on the convex side of the shaft. Blade is eight inches at the base, and tapers sharply. Heavily decorated with wraithstone decorations. Steel buttgrip and weight help counterbalance the blade.

Fade: Eastern saber of Blindsight. Similar in design to a Japanese katana. Blade is two feet long, and hilt is ten. Guard is a flat rectangle. Heavily filigreed with gold and bronze. Blade has the "water-patterns" of damascene steel.

Frost: Dual sickle staff of Raezel Snowdance. Shaft is four and a half feet long. Wide blades are on either end of the staff. Blades are shaped like the letter "C" and are approximately twelve inches across. Shaft is wrapped in tough, blue-dyed eelskin leather. Staff can be split apart at the midline to form two long-handled sickles. Heavily engraved with wraithstone. Specially designed blades whistle when spun at high speeds.

Glimmer: Broadsword of Herin Flickerfist. Four-foot blade and foot-long hilt. Guards are upturned crescents. Hilt is wrapped in muave-dyed leather. Heavily decorated with wraithstone inscriptions.

Heartseeker: Long rapier of Zine Trueblade. Blade is forty inches long. Has an standard crossguard. Heavily engraved with Wraithstone and gold.

Mist: Long dagger of Serai Galecut. Eight inch hilt, sixteen-inch blade. Hilt colored a dark blue. Engraved with wraithstones. Also see: Rain

Nightwhisper: Chain-sickle of Keruki. Consists of a 14-inch shaft with a 10-inch blade with an 8-foot, fine-linked chain connected to the rear of the shaft, terminating in a small, cylindrical iron weight. Colored a night black except at the blade, where the upper and lower razor edges are silvery.

Rocksunder: Greatsword of Rid Razorfang. Impressive blade is 72 inches long and 6 inches wide. Hilt is eighteen inches long. Blade thickens at the top for a sharp-ended oval shape. Incredibly strong. Hilt is decorated with rubies.

Rain: Long dagger of Serai Galecut. Eight inch hilt, sixteen-inch blade. Hilt colored a dark gray. Engraved with wraithstones. Also see: Mist

Shadowrend: Spear of Tritan Longspear. Blade is an elongated diamond, eight inches in length. Eight-foot haft is steel-encased yew. Slighty springy when moved at high speeds. Blade is flat, allowing it to penetrate armor. Heavily decorated with wraithstones.

Skyfire: Short rapier of Malaya Oakrune. Thirty-inch blade with a seven-inch basket hilt. Located on the ricasso is a ring that the user inserts a finger into. Designed to maximize thrusting speed, power, and distance, while providing protection to the finger. Beautifully decorated with burnished bronze and silver intaglio patterns, flames, lunar phase representations, and star designs. The name of the weapon is engraved near the hilt.

Stormcaller(s): Three-bladed wrist claws of Kleea Silverstorm. Each blade is a foot long and hooks at the end. Blades are anchored at flattened-flower-shaped wrist shields. Shields are colored a pale orange. Exquisitely decorated with wraithstone designs.

Sword of Martin the Warrior: Paw-and-a-half-sword sword once belonging to the legendary Martin of Redwall. Passed on to succeeding Abbey warriors. Currently carried by Wallace of Redwall. Sword is in paw-and-a-half configuration, able to be wielded one- or two-pawed. Overall length is five feet, fourteen inches taken up by the black-leather-wrapped hilt and large red pommelstone. Fullered along almost the entire length on both sides. Badger-runes appear on the blade. Created by Boar the Fighter. Made from star-steel, and rumored to be impervious to any sort of damage.

Windtear: Warchain of Felgara Whipclaw. Fifteen feet long with a thin, conical six-inch weight. Colored an emerald green. High wraithstone content allows the wielder to grasp or coil with the chain with mental commands.


GENERAL WEAPONS
Assegai: Polearm. Long-bladed, close-quarter battle spear. Assegais utilized by the Templars have a four-foot shaft topped by an eighteen-inch leaf-shaped blade. Balanced perfectly in the event it needed to be thrown.

Ballista (plural - ballistae): Siege missile weapon. Basically a very large crossbow. Very similar in structure to a heliopolis. Generally fires small boulders. Can also be configured to fire flame projectiles. Range is approximately 200 yards. Also see: heliopolis

Blood channel: See fuller

Boss: Metal "bowl" set in the center of a shield to strengthen the shield and protect the soldier's paw.

Caltrop: A sort of trap. Four-pointed spike device that is designed to always present a spike upward.

Corseca: Polearm. Commonly known as a spetum. Long-bladed spear with two smaller blades projecting at approximately 20-degree angles to either side. Used for both stabbing and slashing. High Templar corsecas have a seven foot shaft and a foot-long main blade, with two seven-inch blades flanking.

Cuirass: Armor for the torso.

Falchion: A heavy, single-edged sword whose tip curves up to meet the back edge instead of tapering. Sharpened on only one side. Mainly used in a chopping fashion. Weight and sturdiness of the blade allows the user to deal out terrifc traumatic damage. Falchions used by the Dervaga have a hilt long enough for the Dervaga to grip it with two paws.

Fauld: Armor for the lower torso and upper legs.

Fuller: "Valley" formed into the length of sword to reduce weight. Sometimes called "blood channel."

Glaive: Poleam. Consists of a shaft with a long, slightly-curving, single-edged blade. A well-known example of a glaive is the Japanese naginata. Glaives used by the Praetorians are seven feet long, two feet of which are taken up by the recurved blade.

Greave: Armor for the lower leg.

Halberd: Polearm. A heavy spear that has a axe blade attached beneath the spearhead.

Heliopolis (plural - heliopoli): Siege missile weapon. Basically a very large crossbow. Very similar in structure to a ballista. Fires bolts over six feet long. Projectiles range from fire heads to steel penetrators to even iron splinter shots. Nominal range of 250 yards. Also see: ballista

Lame: Armoring term. Describes a strip of metal or fabric that is joined to other strips to form articulated armor.

Mechbow: "Mechanized crossbow." Highly mechanized crossbow used by Pathfinders. A dual-pump action readies bowstring while simultaneously drawing up a bolt from a 8-bolt spring-action magazine. Using manual cocking, the mechbow can be configured into "sniper" mode. Regular mode range is approximately 75 yards, while sniper fire is almost 250. Highly accurate in both modes.

Pauldron: Armor for the shoulder joint. Some pauldrons also protect the upper arm, negating the need for a rerebrace. Also see: rerebrace.

Praemitar: "Praetorian scimitar". Unique sword to the Bladestone Crimson Guard. Razor sharp only along the forward edge of the sword. Blade is very minutely curved and thickens towards the top: forward edge curves up to a sharp point instead of tapering like a normal sword. Upturned curve meant to keep the entire length of the sword sharpened. The middle of the blade has a decorative crest along the back edge. Fullered along the back edge of the blade. Blade is 32 inches long and hilt is 24. Praetorians wield the weapon in a two-pawed stance, one paw under the guard and one above the pommel. Blade is swung in quick, circular, whirling strikes.

Pike: Polearm. Basically a long spear. Usually fifteen or more feet long.

Pile-head: Arrowhead. Thin, needle-pointed arrowhead designed to defeat armor.

Ricasso: Unsharpened edge of a sword immediately above the guard.

Rerebrace: Armor for the upper arm.

Tower shield: Tall, rectangular shield. Commonly made of plywood. The shields feature steel bosses and edgings, making them strong yet light.Templar tower shields are five feet by two feet, and are slightly curved towards the back edge. Templars use tower shields both defensively and offensively.

Trebuchet: Siege Missile Weapon. Critical parts include the shaft, counterweight, sling, latch, and axle. A projectile is loaded unto the swing, and the latch is released, allowing the counterwight to swing down and sling the shaft up and forward on the axle. Projectile is released when proper velocity is attained. Projecticles vary greatly. Range exceeds 300 yards.

Vambrace: Armor for the forearm. A vambrace specifically designed for protecting archers' arms from a bowstring is called a bracer.


BLADESTONE MILITARY
High Templar: Warrior in the Crimson Guard. Highly trained and excellently equipped. High Templars are usually employed as heavy cavalry, but also fill the role of fast-reaction or shock troops, and are the last line of defense of Bladestone Castle. Primarily rely on corsecas and paw-and-a-half swords. Distinguished by their double-crested helmets and red waist sash. There are about five hundred High Templars.

Pathfinder: Elite Templar soldier. Act as advance scouts, commandos, trackers, and snipers. Almost never wear armor beyond layered leather jerkins. Use long hunting knives and mechbows.

Praetorian: Highest in the hierarchy of Crimson Guard. Praetorians are directly responsible for the defense of Bladestone Castle's interior and the Bladestone Lord him/herself. Usually equip praemitars and glaives. Distinguished by triple-crested helmets and crimson shoulder sashes. There are approximately eighty praetorians.

Templar: Basic Bladestone soldier. Very well trained and well equiped. Heavily armored with articulated plate and metal-edged and -bossed plywood tower shields. Primarily use assegais as main weapons and short swords as secondaries. Some Templar battalions use six-foot hollow-steel longbows.

Wraith: Psionically-gifted warriors of Bladestone Castle. Well-trained and very skilled. "Wraith" originates from the Wraiths' unique ability to go into "wraith" form, allowing them to pass through solid objects, or vice versa. Wraiths furnish their own weapons. Wraiths are the only ones who can utilize wraithstone fully.


GENERAL MILITARY
Battalion: Military unit. Made up of 5 companies, or about 600 beasts. Commanded by a major.

Brigade: Military unit. Made up of 3 regiments, or about 5,400 beasts. Led by a brigadier general.

Cent: Slang term for centurion.

Century: Military Unit. Employed by High Templars and Praetorians. High Templar centuries numbers twenty-five soldiers, while Praetorian centuries contain five. Commanded by a centurion.

CO: Acronymn for commanding "officer."

Cohort: Military Unit. Employed by High Templars and Praetorians. Contains two centuries. High Templar cohorts number fifty, while Praetorian centuries contain ten. Commanded by a tribune.

Company: Military unit. Made up of 4 platoons, or about 120 beasts. Led by a captain.

Division: Military unit. Made up of 2 brigades, or about 10,800 beasts. Commanded by a general or higher.

Executive Officer: Second highest officer in units company or larger.

FUBAR: Slang acronym for "f*cked up beyond all recognition."

L-T: Slang term for lieutenant.

Legion: Military Unit. Employed by High Templars and Praetorians. Contains two cohorts. High Templar legions hold one hundred soldiers, while Praetorian legions contain twenty. Commanded by a praetorian.

Magpil: Slang term for magna pilus.

NCO: Noncommissioned officer. Denotes corporal or sergeant type officers. NCOs are not warranted a salute from lower ranks.

Noncom: See NCO

Platoon: Military unit. Made up of 3 squads, or about 30 beasts. Commanded by a lieutenant.

Pripil: Slang term for pilus prior.

Regiment: Military unit. Made up of 3 battalions, or about 1,800 beasts. Led by a colonel.

'Runner: Slang term for the dustrunner cavalry bird.

S-1: Officer in charge of personnel.

S-2: Officer in charge of intelligence and reconnaissance.

S-3: Officer in charge of operations and procedures.

S-4: Officer in charge of supplies and logistics.

Smaj: Slang term for sergeant major.

SNAFU: Slang acronym for "situation normal, all f*cked up."

Squad: Military unit. Made up of 10 beasts. Commanded by a staff sergeant

Sumpil: Slang term for suma pilus.

TARFU(N): Slang acronymn for "things are really f*cked up (now)."

Top: Slang term for highest-ranking sergeant in a unit.

XO: See Executive officer


MISCELLANEOUS
Damascene: a descriptor for beautiful, high-quality steel. Because of impurities in the ore and blacksmith skill, damascene steel has a pattern on it remniscent of water waves.

Dustrunner: Heavy cavalry bird of the High Templars. Though able to fly, the dustrunner usually runs. Very large and powerful for a bird. Nearly eight feet long from beak to tailtip. Originally from the western continent. Imported by Wraithlord. Is a variation of the roadrunner bird.

Wraithcomm: Wraithstone communication artifact. Utilizes an unexplained property of Wraithstone. Allows a wraithcomm user to communicate instaneously with other wraithcomm user(s). Can be used to directly and privately converse, or can use wide-band color coded "frequencies". Normally take the form of a bracelet with an inch-diameter wraithstone in the middle. Standard equipment for officers, senior noncommisioned officers, Wraiths, and Pathfinders.

Wraithstone: Kavazaran name for special psi-sensitive stones. Ruby-red in color, and semitransparent. Wraithstones are essential to the creation of wraithcomms. Harder than steel when at normal temperature, but as easy to work with as steel at higher temperatures. When mixed with weapons metal, it makes the weapon nearly unbreakable.

Unseen: Term for eastern stealth assassins.
Sign up to rate and review this story