Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > My Heart It Can't Contain It ...

Chapter Ten

by Redrox 2 reviews

Flashback

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: R - Genres: Angst,Drama,Horror - Warnings: [!!] [V] [?] - Published: 2008-05-20 - Updated: 2008-05-20 - 1923 words

0Unrated
Rachel awoke to the sound of banging.

3:00am

‘What the hell is that?’ she had been pulled out of quite a nice dream. The banging continued and she realized that someone was knocking on the front door. ‘Who the hell could that be?’ Rachel half opened her eyes as she forced her aching body to leave the cocoon of pillows and doonas. She threw on track pants and her old school jumper and went to leave her room. The tiling was cold and she was now ticked off with who ever was at the door. She had gotten in from Storey’s house warming party an hour ago and was still slightly tipsy. Half way to the door she heard someone shouting.
“Rachel open up! It’s Sam!” Ledgard’s voice sounded out. Rachel heard a slight sharp edge to his voice and quickened her pace to get to the door. She had excellent balance even when she was drunk. She undone the deadlock and opened the door. Standing outside was Sam (Ledgard), Sam (Storey) and Mel. Rachel was slightly bewildered and wondered what the hell her friends were doing at the front door when she had left them only 2 hours ago. Ledgard pushed his way past her before she had a chance to say anything. Mel and Stoery followed his lead and Rachel stood there with her mouth open staring after them. Mel looked back at her and stopped walking.
“Rachel what are you doing?” she stood there and waited for Rachel to answer. When she didn’t she turned and walked into the living room. ‘What the hell!’ Rachel was now confused beyond all belief. The sound of the television interrupted her thoughts and Ledgard called out to her again. “Rachel get the hell in here!” she shook her head and started toward the living room, a cold blast of sea air blew through her disheveled hair. She spun around and closed the door then jogged toward the living room. Did she miss something? ‘Wow I must really be drunk’.
“What the hell are you guys doing?” she stood in the doorway and looked at the three of them sitting in on her couch. Now she looked at Storey’s face and saw the tears that were silently flowing. She didn’t stop to think as she moved around the coffee table and sat in the space Ledgard had just made for her. She wrapped her arm around Storey’s shoulders.
“What’s wrong Storey, tell me?” her eyes were wide as she looked at the TV. Rachel’s eyes followed hers and she was reminded of two days ago.

INVADERS ATTACK BRISBANE

Rachel’s mouth opened slightly and the feeling she had been repressing since the Sydney attacks flared up and screamed in her ear ‘Didn’t I tell you!’
Rachel opened her ears and recognized the voice of the channel ten news reporter.
“… Attacks have been reported all through Brisbane and the surrounding areas. People have been ordered to evacuate their homes and move to the closest defense force camp as soon as possible to start evacuation. All other states are being advised that evacuation out of the country will be on a lottery draw and will be started as soon as possible.” She paused and pushed her ear piece into her ear.
“We are now being advised that the Prime Minister, Kevin Rudd, will be delivering a speech to the public from Perth in a few moments. Right now we will be switching to Dave Campbell who is in Perth. Dave can you tell us what is going on over there.” The screen switched to a man in a blue suit who had obviously missed some sleep. There was a slight pause as the studio feed slowly fed through to Perth.
“Yes Clare the Prime Minister is due to come on any second now.” Right at that moment Kevin Rudd walked up to the podium. He had a wrinkled suit on and he looked incredibly stressed. He took a deep breath and looked at his notes
“My fellow Australians, we have been invaded by an unknown enemy. At this moment we know little about them although they do seem to attack more in the dark. We have been putting our full effort into mounting a defense against them. Now we will turn towards the evacuation of our citizens by way of a lottery until you all are safe. We would like to thank your allies for allowing our citizens into your countries. The lottery will begin at 6am tomorrow morning and people will be contacted about information on their evacuation. Alternativly there will be a website up with a list of lottery winners for you to check your name against. Also at your local electorate will be the lists of people to be evacuated in the first wave. Three more evactuation waves are planned at the moment with more expected to be put into action. The lottery will be done by your registered vote. If you are not registered to vote then please visit your electorate camp to have your name put into the system. This evacuation is just a precaution and we will come out victorious against this enemy.” He took one last look out into the audience and walked off of the stage. The reporter came back into view and he had to shout into his microphone to be heard over the pandemonium in the background.
“Well there you have it Clare the Prime Minister has called for a country evacuation. At this time we still have no more information on why the government has decided to evacuate the whole country and we have no idea on who they think this enemy is. We do know what countries we will be evacuated to. They are: the United States, the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Canada, Belgium, Switzerland, Greenland, China, Austria …” Right then the screen switched back to Clare cutting the reporter off mid sentence.
“Sorry to cut you off like that Dave, but in more breaking news the invaders have just begun an assault on the eastern suburbs of Melbourne. We have a video that was streaming direct from one of our reporters in the area. Viewer discression is advised. Her face dropped and she eagerly turned to a monitor that was at her side before the screen changed. It showed a woman in her early twenties standing in front of a group of people, mainly men.
“… This group of people behind me are all waiting in line to be interviewed for the Emergency Army Service. A …” the woman stopped speaking and turned around as several people started to scream. A woman pushed through the crowd and wildly ran screaming past the camera. The crowd in front of the reporter slowly started to turn and run in the same direction as the woman.
“Holy fucking shit!” One man shouted. Soon the road was full of screams and running people. The reporter and cameraman tried to hold their ground as the crowd went flying past them. The cameraman stopped trying to hold the camera steady and held it above his head. Screams filled the air as the camera focused on the night sky. There were no clouds and yet no stars. A shiver ran up Rachel’s spine. You could barely hear the reporter as she shouted over all the noise.
“Oliver Get over here!” The camera tilted and the crowd started to disperse. When the lens was finally horizontal again the road was clear of most people. A few here and there were running as far away as they could get from the mass in front of them. The reporter was standing just in front of the camera lens and heavy breathing could be heard over the distant screams. Oliver pulled the camera into focus and the mass became sharp and defined. The mass was a huge man and he was bent over another man. The large man’s back was too the camera and the man it was leaning over was quivering like he was having a seizure. The large man’s head was bending down over the other and he seemed to be taking great heaving breaths. The smaller man stopped moving suddenly as the other man’s head snapped up. He tilted his head up towards the sky and sniffed the air. Rachel’s mouth went dry as she saw liquid streaming over the corner of his mouth and down his chin. He slowly rose off of his hunches to his feet, while grasping the neck of the other man in his right hand. His head was still tilted towards the sky as a vociferous roar came from his chest. Right then the video cut out and returned to the reporter. Ledgard muted the TV and turned to face Rachel. His face had drained of most of its colour. The emotions coming from his face were so intense and many that Rachel had to turn away. She looked at Storey and suddenly understood why she was so upset. Her family lived in Brisbane. Ledgard spoke.
“We were taking Mel home when we heard on the radio… so we came here. W e need to get back to your house Storey everyone is still there.” He rose from the sofa. Rachel stopped breathing for a moment. She just wanted to escape from this world right now. She wished her family was here, she wished she could just pull Ledgard back down and embrace him, Mel and Storey in a hug and hope it would all go away. But most of all she wished she was England.
“We have to get back to your house Storey everyone is still there.” His voice was calm but when Rachel looked into his eyes she saw fear. She knew it was going to be up to him and her to be the strong ones, the rational ones.
“Who’s still at the house?” Rachel asked, her voice was unnaturally steady as she spoke.
“Everyone. You were the only one who left because you had to work.” Mel replied. Rachel thought for a moment. All of her friends had attended that party and she knew most of them would still be asleep. Even though she wished she could crawl back into bed and wait to wake up she knew she would never forgive herself if anything happened to them. She stood.
“Ok let me get changed and I’ll come with you.” No-one spoke as she left the room. Her mind was buzzing and she threw on her jeans and vans, she also grabbed her phone and keys. When she went back out everyone was standing in the kitchen. The TV had been turned off. Mel had her arm around Storey who still hadn’t said anything.
“Ok then lets go.” Sam moved towards the front hall with the others following. Rachel went to follow but turned back towards the living room. In there badger was sound asleep. She went and knelt next to him. He woke up and gave one wag of his tail. She looked down at his puppy dog face and hoped that this wouldn’t be the last time she would see him. A voice in the back of her head was laughing. ‘You’re never going to see him again Rachel you are totally fucked,’ it laughed again. She hugged him tight and walked out of her home for what felt like the last time.
Sign up to rate and review this story