Categories > Anime/Manga > Naruto > A Rainy Day

Come Back Alive

by KoichiTsunade 0 reviews

Jiraiya finds out about the Akatsuki leader's position.

Category: Naruto - Rating: PG - Genres: Angst,Drama,Romance - Characters: Jiraiya,Naruto,Tsunade - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2008-06-05 - Updated: 2008-06-05 - 2216 words - Complete

0Unrated
I finally finished this chapter! I’m sorry for making you wait, but I was having trouble on how to do it... (well... I’ll admit I was also lazy...XD) Well, I really enjoyed writing this chapter! I hope you feel the same thing as me when you read it! :D

8. Come Back Alive!


Taking the sweat out from her forehead, the Slug Princess smiled proudly. She had finally cleaned those dirty windows located in the kitchen. Today Jiraiya didn’t have to work, so he was training with Naruto somewhere near the house.

Two weeks had passed since the Akatsuki came and tried to get Naruto. Since that, Naruto moved with his grandparents to be safer, but also, even though none of the three ever said it out loud, was because Naruto wanted to be with them, same thing happened with Jiraiya and Tsunade. Heh, good thing they bought a big house.

Still smiling, Tsunade put her hands on her hips and stared the sky through the now cleaned windows. Her smiled faded and was replaced by a surprised look. She hurried to open the window, and when she did, she looked down. Naruto was there, holding his head between his hands. What Tsunade saw a few seconds before was him falling from the roof at a great speed. Jiraiya also jumped from it and knelt down beside him with a smirk in his face.

“Only idiots would fall like that after someone pushes the really gently with a hand over their shoulder. I can see you’re one of them.”

“I was tired! I didn’t have enough time to concentrate chackra on my feet!” He complained standing up and dusting his pants off.

Tsunade tried not to laugh, but the idea of Naruto falling like that was just too funny, a peal of laughter escaped from her lips. Naruto looked up and glared at her. With a finger pointing at her, he exclaimed, “Baa-chan! Stop laughing, it’s not funny! Sometimes you’re really mean to me!”

After hearing his Hime’s crystalline laugh, Jiraiya also looked up and grinned. “Hey there, Hime!”

“What were you guys doing up there?”

“We were training.” Naruto responded

With a confused look on her face, the Hokage asked, “Why there?”

“Because it’s harder to move. You could fall easily.” Naruto responded.

Jiraiya laughed. “As I said before, only idiots would fall so easily.”

Now it was turned for Jiraiya to be glared. “Shut up! Next time don’t push me like that, and you’ll see I can stand there in the roof forever without falling!”

“Heh. I would like to see that. Unfortunately, I’ll only see it in your dreams.”

Tsunade shook her head and closed the window. Out there Naruto and Jiraiya were still shouting about who would fall first in the training. She sighed and went to take a hot shower.

-----

Naruto and Jiraiya entered the house sweating after a hard training day. “Wow, kid. You’re getting strong really fast! One day you’ll be better than your own father and me!” Jiraiya said patting his head.

“Yes I will! And stop patting my head; I’m not a kid anyrmore.”

Once they were done taking a bath each one, Jiraiya headed to the kitchen to start cooking. When he finished, he called Tsunade and Naruto to go to eat lunch. Tsunade sat next to her fiancé while Naruto sat in front of them. The Godaime and his grandson argued during the whole lunch. Jiraiya sighed and tried to stop from arguing, but it was impossible.

---------------

“Tsunade-hime, I gotta talk with you. Let’s have a walk.” Jiraiya said after being done cleaning and putting away the dishes. Tsunade looked at him and was going to ask for what when Jiraiya cut her off. “I’ll tell you outside.”

Jiraiya then looked at Naruto. “Naruto, stay here, all right? Tsunade-hime and I will have a walk.”

Naruto, who was reading through some scrolls, looked up and nodded. He then went back to the reading.

Taking the Godaime’s hand, Jiraiya pulled her out of the couch and led her to the front door. Outside was a normal day in Konoha. Shinobis going from one place to another, citizens walking through the crowded streets, just like any other day in autumn. Many people smiled at the couple saying hello, others simply saying it out loud. Last week they got the news about them getting married. It was no surprise; eveybody knew this was going to happen.

Jiraiya took her to a field. It was sunset; the grass looked like it was made out of crystal because of the little rain that fell on the morning. Birds were chirping while crickets were heard under the trees.

The two Sannin finally got to a bench, were Tsunade sat while Jiraiya was standing up. Looking up at him, the Slug Princess asked, “What do you want to tell me that you don’t want Naruto to hear?”

He smirked at her. “If he knew what I’m about to tell you, he would come with me. And I don’t want that to happen.”

Tsunade’s eyes were full of agnst. “You’re leaving!? Where do you want to go? I-I don’t want you to le-leave right now.”

Jiraiya sighed and looked at her amber eyes. “Tsunade-hime... I found information about where the Akatsuki leader is. I’m heading there.”

“What!? Are you crazy, Jiraiya? You’re not going to do it alone!”

Pointing a finger at himself, Jiraiya said, “Hime, remember I’m also one of the Sannin.”

“Yeah, but also remember what he did to you two weeks ago. You almost died, and there you are, wanting me to get a heart attack, Baka.”

“Tsunade, I have to do it! If I can’t kill him, nobody will be able to right now!”

“Let me go with you!”

“Of course not!! We had this conversation many times before now! Stop being so stubborn!”

“Okay, but send me one of your toads and I’ll go there to help you.”

“Heh I don’t think that’ll happen. I don’t think it’s good for the citizens to have Hokages being chaged all the time.”

“Well, we have Kakashi, or Naruto in a way...”

“Look Tsunade, right now I won’t let you go anywhere while I’m not with you around, alright?”

Tsunade stood up slowly from the bench looking down. “Why are you always getting in trouble when I’m not capable of doing anything?” She looked up at his black eyes. “I wish I wasn’t pregnant right now.”

There was a moment of silent before Jiraiya broke it. “Hime, it’s okay, I mean, some are being born, others are dying. If this is my time to die, I won’t be able to change it.”

Tsunade put a hand over his right cheek. “Yes, but I can save you.” She whispered, her words being carried by the wind.

Jiraiya closed his eyes and took her hand. He then opened them again. Smiling faintly, he said, “I’m sure you can.” He started to walk away without saying anything. Saying good-bye would hurt him to much, so he didn’t say anything, just looked to the front, thinking to come back.

“JIRAIYA!” He looked back surprised. He saw Tsunade hurrying to get in front of him. Tears were falling down her cheeks, like droplets of water finally escaping from their cloud. She hugged him tightly, wrapping her arms around his waist and closing her eyes. They stayed like that, hugged like if nothing was there except for both of them.

Jiraiya smiled and rubbed the back of her hair softly. He then kissed the back of her head.

When they broke the hug, Tsunade looked up, some tears still in her cheeks. “Come back alive.” She whispered.

He smiled and wiped out a tear with his thumb. After kissing her lips, he said, “I promise, Hime, promise.”

He started to walk again. He could hear her crystalline voice inside his head, like if she was shouting ‘come back alive’ over and over to his back. He could hear his own voice saying ‘I promise, Hime, I promise’.

‘Come back alive.’ Those words, escaped from her full lips were like a heaven to him, though they meant he was in danger. Every time he heard her perfect and clear voice, it sent a chill down his spine, in a way that made his heart go insane.

‘Come back alive.’ It made him stronger to think he was going to be a hero this time, maybe a dead one, but an unforgotten one. He had always wanted to die in the middle of a battle, like a real shinobi.

‘Come back alive.’ It also made him stronger to think that he had his loved ones at home, waiting for him to arrive. He had to come back, no matter what. When he was young, the word ‘Tsunade’ meant for him chances. He got to know he was wrong. When she agreed on going out with him, that old feeling of his came back, making her name mean something more important than a simple chance. For him, the word 'Tsunade' started to mean Heaven.

He left quickly, leaving his Hime waiting anxiously for her Toad Sage to come back.

After his figure disappeared, Tsunade stayed there, staring in front of her, where her friend, former teammate, and now fiancé had gone in a trip, risking his life for his, her, and their village. Droplets of rain fell on her cheeks, hiding her own transparent tears, but her eyes could not lie. Nor her limbs, who were trembling along with her lips, not because of the cold weather, but because of the tension inside her body. The edges of her mouth where fallen, like if she had never laughed nor smiled. Her flooded cheeks could show some dried tears, even under the rain. In the middle of her being she was broken down, like a wilted red tulip in a rainy day. She raised a hand, like trying to get him back, but she knew he was unattainable. Wiping out tears and droplets from her face she headed home. This time alone.

-----------

So... is it like this...?

Naruto was sitting in the couch, still reading through some scrolls that Jiraiya gave him for his 14th birthday. They were really complicated, and it was hard for him to understand each step.

After unrolling a little bit the a scroll, he looked towards the hallway where he heard the front door being opened. Slow steps approached the dining room in a regular way. Naruto grinned when he saw it was his grandmother.

“Hey Baa-chan!” Naruto greeted her.

In a return, the Hokage smiled faintly at him. Silently, she came closer and sat next to him.

Naruto stared at her, trying to figure out what was making her so... sad?...absent? “What’s wrong? Did something happen outside between you and Jiraiya-sensei?”

Tsunade who was absently picking dirt out beneath her nails, looked at his deep blue eyes. “He’s gone, maybe forever.”

Naruto’s eyes widened up. “Gone? What do you mean by gone? Where did he go!?” He asked putting aside the scrolls.

She frowned and whispered, “To kill the Akatsuki leader, Uchiha Madara.”

Naruto rubbed his temples. “So he didn’t want me to know before he was gone, huh?” He stood up and opened the front door.

Tsunade, who had been following with her eyes, asked, “Where are you going? You’re not going after Madara, are you?”

Naruto smirked, showing his white teeth. “He didn’t want me to go with him for a reason, and I agree with it. I’m going to train.” He closed the door, leaving the Slug Princess alone.


Naruto walked quickly, ignoring the people around him. Putting his hands inside his pockets, he headed to the training fields where Sasuke, Sakura, and he were still a group. He looked back surprised after hearing his name being called.
Sakura was running waving a hand at him, with a smile in her face. Her smile faded when she saw Naruto’s frown.

They started to walk again. Sakura then looked at his eyes. “Where are you heading to?”

“To the training fields.” His voice surprised him. It was deep and full of hatred.

“What’s wrong?” Sakura asked with a concerned voice.

“Jiraiya-sensei went to kill the Akatsuki leader. I don’t he’s strong enough to.”
“Nani!? He left Tsunade-sama alone!?”

“Hai. I know he didn’t want to. He went in this trip for the sake of all of us. I want to train to get stronger. I don’t like seeing people risking their lives just because of me.” He looked at her. “Next time I’ll be the one saving.”

Sakura stopped following him and smiled proudly at his back. I’m sure you will, Naruto!

Author's Notes:

I saw it was not completed! I'm sorry! I don't know what happened... I wrote everything and previewed it to see if it was okay... Now everything it's fine!
Sign up to rate and review this story