Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Second Fiddle

Voldemort’s Requiem pt. 1

by Crucio_Crusade 1 review

Harry Potter is aware of the wizarding world. The only problem is he grew up apart from it. When he explored the magical world, he found dangers, wonders, and friendship.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres:  - Characters: Harry,Hermione,Neville,Voldemort - Warnings: [!] [V] [?] - Published: 2008-06-10 - Updated: 2008-06-10 - 6124 words

5Original
Disclaimer: This fan fiction was based on the Harry Potter books by J.K. Rowling. I do not claim ownership on any character created by J.K. Rowling, and no money is collected from this story. This is one way I show appreciation to J.K. Rowling’s works. Other names or places on this story are fictional. Any similarity to actual name is purely coincidental.



Chapter 32: Voldemort’s Requiem pt. 1

The two-storey farmhouse looked neglected and uninhabited. The wooden shutters on all the windows were closed. The house sidings hadn’t been cleaned and repainted. Weeds overran the garden. Climbing roses covered one of the second floor windows, and almost reached the roof gutters. Except for the occasional birds feeding on wild berries in the unkempt yard, the farmhouse showed no sign of life.

Suddenly, the front door of the seemingly empty farmhouse opened. Two cloaked figures slowly stepped out, and confidently stood on the porch. The symbol emblazoned on their cloaks identified them as Hit Wizards. For a few moments, the two wizards silently surveyed the surrounding area.

“What now?” the younger-looking Hit Wizard indifferently asked his partner. From the state of the farmhouse, it was obvious it had been unoccupied for some time.

The older Hit Wizard didn’t answer at once. He appeared to be considering their next course of action. “We’ll put up a detection ward around the yard’s perimeter. If Evans comes back, we’ll know right away.” And then, he looked at the distant horizon. “We’ll set up camp on one of those hills. We’ll watch this place for a while. If all goes well, Evans will be languishing in Azkaban by next week.”

“What about anti-apparition and anti-portkey wards?” the younger wizard asked casually.

Again, the older wizard appeared to be considering his partners question. “No. Setting up too many wards may be detected by his accomplice or accomplices. We don’t want to alert them of our presence.”

The young Hit Wizard momentarily surveyed the front yard. “Where do you want to start?”

The older wizard secretly smiled in amusement. Since working with him, Gunnar had adapted concise and formal manners. He couldn’t help wondering if Gunnar was trying to impress him. “We’ll start at that gate…” The older wizard pointed at the low, rustic, wooden gate with his wand. “…And work our way towards the back of the house.”

For a brief moment, Gunnar’s expression showed uncertainty. “I don’t mean to question your plan, Monty. But, what if he doesn’t show up? Where do we look for him? Evans is new to the wizarding world. We know very little about him.”

There was no trace of doubt, when the older wizard answered. “If he doesn’t show up, his family is our next best bet.”

“Don’t you think that may be a little difficult, considering the minister himself can’t order Auror Potter to surrender his son?” the young wizard curiously asked, with just a hint of sarcasm in his voice.

The older Hit Wizard looked at Gunnar with a deadpan expression. “I don’t intend to ask Potter to surrender his son.” For a moment, there was a gleam in Monty’s eyes, which Gunnar found disturbing. Then, the older wizard turned his attention to the task at hand. “You go right. I’ll go left.” With cool efficiency borne out of experience, the two Hit Wizards carefully set their detection ward.


Harry apparated inside his house at Wicker Farm. As he stood in the small foyer, nostalgic feelings came over him. Slowly, he made his way towards the sitting room. The room looked as he left it. Granted it was full of dust and cobwebs, but otherwise, untouched.

“Welcome home, Harry,” he softly muttered with a slight catch in his voice. For a moment, he just stood by the door, not really seeing anything. Memories of his happy past flowed through his mind. Then, he slowly crossed the room and sat on his favorite armchair. For a while, he was lost inside his own world, until the angry growling of his stomach brought him back to reality. Looking at his stomach, he jokingly admonished, “You can’t wait, can you?” When he looked at the grandfather clock standing in one corner of the room, he was surprised it was almost six o’clock in the evening. He couldn’t remember the last time he ate. It was no wonder he was hungry.

He went to the kitchen, and leisurely searched the larder for some canned food. Soon, he had a few tins laid on the table. “I hope the vegetables survive.” He went to his backyard, and surveyed a ragged, vegetable garden. Some of the vegetables were not suitable for eating anymore. But, he was hungry. He was busy picking few edible ones, when suddenly, he heard running footsteps behind him.

Accio wand!” Harry felt his borrowed wand flew out of his cloak pocket.

“Hit Wizards, Evans! Don’t move! You’re under arrest!” Surprised, Harry cautiously stood up. “I said don’t move!” From the tone of the Hit Wizard’s voice, he really meant business. Harry had no choice, but to stand still. “What are those things you’re holding?” Harry slowly raised his hands, and extended them to his sides. “Drop the lettuce and the turnips, and slowly turn around!” Harry did as he was told.

Harry saw two blue-cloaked wizards with insignia different from those of the Aurors. He assumed they were from a different branch of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement. “Do you mind telling me, why am I under arrest?” Harry asked evenly, trying to quell his growing apprehension. Thinking he was being arrested for trespassing on a muggle house, he calmly voiced his thought. “I think you made a mistake. This is my house. I didn’t do anything illegal.”

“Incarcerous!” Harry quickly moved to evade the spell. But, he wasn’t fast enough. The unexpected spell hit him squarely in the chest. His reaction, however, only made him fall flat on his back.

Bound by a conjured rope, his captors stood over him with grim expressions. “There is no mistake, Evans. The Ministry doesn’t make mistakes.” Monty, the more experienced of the two Hit Wizards, knew his last words weren’t completely true. But to him, truth was a matter of perspective anyway. “You are wanted for the murder of Gregor Goyle.”

Harry’s eyes blazed with righteous righteous anger, until realization dawned on him. He was being framed for murder. He knew he didn’t kill Goyle, whoever he was. He vigorously struggled against his bond. But, it was no use. He couldn’t even voice his indignation because the rope also wrapped over his mouth. The only thing he could do at the moment was vehemently glare at the two Hit Wizards.


Hiding behind the bushes, just outside the detection ward’s perimeter, Ferghus and Ambrose were lying on their stomach, silently watching. Ambrose tapped Ferghus’ shoulder and signaled him to withdraw. Ferghus watched Harry struggling from his bond for a few more seconds, before he stealthily crawled backward. Ferghus hastily followed Ambrose, who was already walking away.

“You’re not leaving, are you?” Ferghus asked in a tight voice.

“No,” Ambrose replied curtly.

Ferghus irritably grabbed Ambrose’s shoulder, forcing him to stop. “Then tell me where you’re going.” When Ambrose faced him, Ferghus noticed he didn’t look like he was willing to explain himself. But, if they’re going to save Harry, he wanted to know what the other Death Eater intended to do.

“I am going to get Harry away from those Hit Wizards,” Ambrose replied in a voice that sounded like he’s talking about the weather.

For a moment, Ferghus carefully studied the other man’s face. Ambrose was a mystery to him, a Death Eater with unexplained interest in Harry other than the obvious. “Alright then… Let’s go get him.” Ferghus walked past Ambrose.

This time, Ambrose held him back. “Where are you going? I didn’t say you can come with me.” Ferghus’ determined expression turned into an angry frown. “Before you lose your temper, let me explain.”

“Go ahead. I’m listening. I’m very much interested to know how you’re going to get him away from those Hit Wizards all by yourself,” Ferghus replied sarcastically.

“As I see it, the best way to fool them is if I confront them openly. If we both go, my plan may not work.” Ferghus frowned suspiciously. “Look, I know you don’t have any reason to trust me. But, believe me when I say, I care about Harry.”

“And, why is that? What’s your interest in him?” There was an open hostility in Ferghus voice and expression. “Harry has never seen you before. I haven’t seen you before now. So why should I trust you?”

Ambrose sighed exasperatedly. “I told you before, and I will say it again… I will explain later. Right now, we have to save Harry.” He could see Ferghus remained distrustful. “I know that nothing I say or do will convince you. So, why don’t we just concentrate on saving Harry?”

It was obvious Ambrose wouldn’t be forthcoming. So, Ferghus let the issue rest for the moment. “What’s your plan then?”

“It’s simple really.” Ambrose smiled cunningly. “I will just walk up to them, and demand what’s going on. If I act like an ignorant muggle, they won’t suspect a thing.” He seriously waited for Ferghus reaction which he knew wouldn’t be favorable.

“That’s your plan?” Ferghus asked, flabbergasted. “They can just curse you, and ask questions later.”

“That’s when you come in,” Ambrose quickly replied. “If you see those Hit Wizards curse me, you attack.”

Ferghus dubiously looked at his fellow Death Eater. “I don’t like your plan. It’s too foolhardy.”

Ambrose nonchalantly shrugged his shoulders. “I don’t like it either. But, it’s the best one I can think of at a short notice…” Ambrose smiled at Ferghus sarcastically. “…Unless, you have a better plan.”

Ferghus was deep in thought for a moment. “I’ll do it then. I’ll not have you endangering Harry’s life.”

“No.” Ambrose was displeased. And, it showed on his face. “It’s my plan. I will do it.” For a moment, there was a battle of will between the two Death Eaters. “I will not let any harm come to Harry. You have my word.” His sincerity must have penetrated Ferghus’ wall of mistrust because he didn’t hear any objection. “Alright then… Let’s go get him.” But, as soon as Ambrose walked past his fellow Death Eater, Ferghus’ wand unnoticeably swished and flicked.


Harry stopped trying to break his bond. He was securely wrapped by the rope from head to foot. “Mmmm…. mmmm… mmm…” He mumbled in vain.

Gunnar studied Harry for a moment. Then, he looked at the older Hit Wizard. “What do you think he’s trying to say?” he asked curiously.

“Who cares? I bet he’s just telling us that he didn’t kill Goyle. And, that he’s innocent,” the older Hit Wizard replied indifferently.

“Mmm… mm!” Harry mumbled angrily.

Gunnar looked down again at Harry, whose eyes were blazing with anger. “Hard to imagine this boy killed… How many now? ...four Death Eaters?” The young Hit Wizard smirked, when he saw Harry renewed his struggle against his bond. “You must be one jammy bastard,” he snidely said to Harry. “You probably don’t know much about magic or the wizarding world. Your name is surely on You-Know-Who’s death list by now. And yet, here you are, still alive and well, pottering about with not a care in the world.” Gunnar smiled nastily. “Well, I have sad news for you, mate. Your luck has run out. Neither Dumbledore nor your parents can save you now.”

“Gunnar, quit nettling the prisoner. Just pick him up.” Monty searched for something inside his cloak pocket. When he pulled out his hand, he was holding a short rope, knotted on both ends. “It’s time we put him where he belongs...” Monty gave Harry a nasty grin. “…in Azkaban.”

Harry, lying on the ground securely bound, didn’t believe he’s out of luck. There’s always a way out as his Uncle Max kept reminding him. He, then, noticed the older Hit Wizard suddenly tensed. It looked like he sensed something. And then, quickly, he turned to his right, threateningly pointing his wand at an intruder. Gunnar immediately copied his action. Harry did his best to roll his body to his left. He saw an old man with a walking stick, moving unsteadily but surely toward them. Despite his awkward position, he followed the intruder’s progress. The old man wasn’t someone he recognized.

“Stop right there, old man. Don’t come any closer.” Monty stood squarely in the intruder’s path. The old man stopped a few paces from them.

“What the bloody hell is going on here? Who are you people?” The old man quizzically looked from one Hit Wizard to the next.

“Mmmm… mmm… mmm.” Harry knew he couldn’t shout for help. But, he could make enough noise to be noticed. And, he succeeded. The old man looked straight at him. “Mmmm… mmm.”

“What is this?” Harry felt hope when the old man walked closer, completely ignoring the wands pointed at him. “Step aside, step aside...” The old man irately brushed away Monty’s wand with his walking stick. “Quit pointing that stick at me. Didn’t your mum teach you better manners?” The old man stood over him, trying to get a good look at his face. And then, to Harry’s surprise, the old man playfully winked at him. Harry was puzzled for a moment, until he put two and two together. He inwardly sighed with relief. He’s not going to Azkaban, wherever that is. When the old man turned his attention to the two Hit Wizards again, there was a look of disapproval on his face. “Why is this lad tied up like a hog?”

Monty uncertainly lowered his wand. He, then, noticed Gunnar still tensely pointing his wand at the old muggle. With a shake of his head, he cautioned the younger Hit Wizard not to be hasty. “You’re obstructing police business, old man. I advise you to leave.” Monty thought the old man didn’t hear him. Instead of answering, the old man awkwardly bent down and strongly pulled at the rope.

Young and inexperienced, Gunnar impatiently voiced his opinion. “Why are we wasting time with this old muggle? Let’s just Obliviate him and leave.”

Monty frowned at his partner’s breach of Ministry protocol. Up to that point, the old muggle was still in the dark. But, now, they would have to do just that. “Gunnar, if you want to have a successful career in the Ministry, you need to learn patience and discretion.” He, then, turned his attention to the old man who managed to get the prisoner up on his wobbly feet. “I’m sorry, old man. I’m afraid I have to erase your memory of this event.”

“Quite alright, old chap,” the old man said confidently. Any hint of frailty was gone from his posture. The two Hit Wizards looked slightly confused. “I don’t intend to have my memory erased anyway. Goodbye.” Before the two Hit Wizards could even react, Harry and the old man disappeared.


As soon as Ferghus saw Harry and Ambrose disappeared, he too disapparated. When he appeared, he was a short walking distance away from Hog’s Head. As he and Ambrose had agreed, they would meet at Hog’s Head once Harry was rescued. He waited inside the dodgy pub. He picked a table at a far corner with a clear view of the entrance door. He tried to look inconspicuous, but kept a close watch at anyone entering the pub. Customers came, ordered, and left. But, there was still no sign of Ambrose or Harry.

After checking the clock hanging above the back wall of the bar, Ferghus looked grimly at his half-empty glass of Firewhiskey, which he had been nursing for almost fifteen minutes. He heard the sincerity in Ambrose’s voice. And, he was fool enough to give him latitude. Tightly gripping his glass, he dourly gulped down his last remaining drink, got up, and left. After walking a few meters away from the pub, he brought out his wand, and recited an incantation. He secretly planted a Tracking Charm on Ambrose, before he went to rescue Harry. Unfortunately, the Tracking Charm wasn’t working right. Something seemed to be blocking it.

“Shite!” Ferghus decided to apparate to Harry’s house. He promised to himself that if something bad happened to Harry, death would be the kindest thing he could give to Ambrose.


Harry slightly teetered at the disorienting effect of side-along apparition. If not for the old man’s hold on him, he would have fallen. The rope wrapped over his mouth loosened. But, he still couldn’t move. When he inspected himself, he saw the rope still tightly bound him. After a few seconds, he quizzically looked at his rescuer. Right before his eyes, the old man’s face slowly changed. Until, the Death Eater he recently met stood before him. His walking stick also reverted to its original form. It became a wand.

Harry slightly nodded his head. “Thank you. Now, would you mind taking the rest of this rope off me?”

The Death Eater amusedly smiled at him. “I will…but, only after we’ve reached the cave.”

Harry thought fast. He had a sudden feeling of déjà vu. “We’ll get there a lot faster, if I’m not tied.” He coaxingly smiled. “I promise not to run.”

The Death Eater’s smile grew wider. “I don’t believe you. I can see you have your fingers crossed.”

“Shite!” Harry was mad at himself for being careless. He irately looked down at the hands that betrayed him. But, he couldn’t see them. They were buried under the rope. He wonderingly looked back at the Death Eater, his amazement written all over his face. “How…”

“…did I know?” The Death Eater didn’t even bother hiding his amusement. Harry could see he was thoroughly enjoying himself. “Let’s just say I’ve known you a lot longer than you think. I practically watched you grow up.”

Harry was aghast. He had a stalker, and he didn’t even notice. For a moment, he wondered if his uncle noticed. He knew very little get past his Uncle Max’s attention. His uncle might be retired from the Army’s Special Forces. But, he never relaxed his guard. Then, a thought came to him. His Uncle Max’s wife was from the magical world. What if his uncle made arrangement in case something bad happened to him? No. The wizard in front of him was a Death Eater. His Uncle Max wouldn’t entrust his safety with a murderer.

“Who are you?” Harry asked suspiciously. “What do you want from me?”

Any hint of amusement slowly vanished from the Death Eater’s face. He could see Harry had reached the limit of his patience. For a moment, the Death Eater looked deep in thought. Then, he slowly withdrew his hand, making sure Harry found his balance. “I believe I already told you my name, but I don’t mind a second introduction.” He offered his open right hand to Harry. “My name is Ambrose Huxley, a Death Eater and one of your kinds. You may call me Ambrose.”

Harry smiled sardonically, before meaningfully looking at himself. “I’d shake your hand. But, as you can see, I’m all tied up.” The Death Eater slowly lowered his hand, embarrassed. “So, Ambrose, what do you mean my kind? Are you also a wolf animagus? Is that why you brought me here?”

Ambrose smiled lightly. “I am not a wolf animagus, but I am a wolf.”

“You’re a werewolf?” Harry asked skeptically. His voice sounded incredulous.

There was open humor in Ambrose’s face. “I am more than a werewolf, just as you are more than a wolf animagus.” Ambrose could see Harry was confused by his cryptic reply. “If you come with me, you’ll know the reason I brought you here.”

Harry sarcastically looked incredulous. “I have a choice?”

“Of course you have,” Ambrose humorously replied. “You can choose to come willingly. Or, if you’re too pig-headed, you can choose to come unwillingly. The choice is yours.”

“You’re not giving me much of a choice, are you?” Ambrose merely shrugged his shoulders in response. Harry tried to think of something to get out of his present situation. Suddenly, an idea came to him. “Tell you what… You stay here while I go home. I’ll come back later with an answer.” He, then, closed his eye, and tried to picture Hog’s Head.

“You know you can’t run away from yourself forever. Sooner or later, you will have to face what you are. What are you afraid of, anyway?” Ambrose’s probing words cut through his concentration. He irately opened his eyes, and turned his attention back to the wolf Death Eater. “You’re not afraid of the Dark Lord. That much I know. So, you can’t be afraid of me.” Ambrose momentarily studied Harry’s guarded expression. “Are you afraid of what you will find out about yourself? Or, are you afraid of what your destiny might entail?”

“You’re talking rubbish,” Harry said, annoyed. “I’m not afraid.”

Ambrose smirked. “Then, come with me. Aren’t you a little bit curious to know what I want to show you? It will explain who you are.”

“Who am I?” Harry asked incredulously. “I know who I am. I’m Harry Evans…no more, no less.” But, deep down, he knew what Ambrose was referring to. Ferghus argued the idea to his elders adamantly enough.

“So you say.” Ambrose’s smirk grew wider. “And, since you’re not afraid, come with me, then. The cave is not far from here.”

Harry dramatically sighed, his face a picture of defeat. “Okay, you win. Untie me and I’ll go with you.” He just realized he couldn’t apparate to Hog’s Head all tied up.

Ambrose just laughed out loud. “It won’t work Harry. You’re not Dumbledore.” He was greatly amused when Harry tried to look confuse. “I know what you’re planning to do. You’ll disapparate as soon as I untie you. But, I’m telling you. It won’t work. You can’t disapparate without a wand. Only someone like Dumbledore or the Dark Lord has the power to do that.”

“Shite!” Harry glared angrily at Ambrose. He thought only his Uncle Max could read him like a book. Now, the wolf Death Eater was doing it also. “Exactly how long have you been stalking me?”

Ambrose softly chuckled. “Not stalking, protecting you.” Slowly, he pointed his wand at Harry.

“Hey! Wait a minute! What are you going to do?” Harry wildly looked around him, hoping to find a way to escape. Unfortunately, his agitated movement threw him off-balance. “Oh, shite!” Realizing his mistake, he grimaced in pain even before he hit the ground. Fortunately, it wasn’t the Death Eater’s intention to harm him. He found himself floating on his back. The Death Eater started walking, pulling him along. His stomach suddenly grumbled, loud enough to be heard a kilometer away. “There better be some food where we’re going! I’m hungry enough to eat a rock!”

Ambrose chuckled again. “There are rocks where we’re going alright. But, you won’t have to eat them. You’ll be home before you know it, Harry. The cave is not far from here. We’ll go in, have a look-see, and then, head home.” The Death Eater slightly turned his head to give Harry a reassuring smile.


Soon enough, they reached their destination. Harry carefully studied the overgrown vegetations around him. The canopy of leaves was so thick; sunlight couldn’t even reach the forest floor. It made the surrounding area looked gloomy. In front of him, he could see a few outcroppings of rocks. If there was a cave, the Death Eater would have to clear a path through the thick vegetations.

“Well?” Harry inquiringly looked at Ambrose. “What are you waiting for?”

Ambrose amusedly looked at Harry. “I thought you don’t want to see the cave?”

“I don’t,” Harry said irately. “I just want us to get there sooner, so you can untie me. This rope is so damned uncomfortable. Are you sure you don’t want to untie me now?”

“I’ll untie you soon enough Harry.” Ambrose knew he piqued Harry’s curiosity. The young lad’s indifferent attitude didn’t fool him one bit. “Lumos!”

Harry’s eyes grew wide in surprise when the vegetations, or so he thought, shied away from the light. He tried to focus on the plants to see if they were actually alive. A vine tried to grab him. Fortunately, it wasn’t fast enough. Ambrose set the grasping vine on fire.

“Remember this plant, Harry. It’s called the Devil’s Snare. And, it’s deadly.” Ambrose entered the cave with Harry in tow.

The passage was rough and uneven, rocks jutted from floor, walls, and ceiling. Not to mention it was so dark. Without the light provided by Ambrose’s wand, it would be hard to navigate the cold, cramped, and dark passage.

“This is just a tunnel. The main cave is a little further ahead.” Ambrose’s soft voice sounded loud within the confine of the tunnel.

Harry felt his cheek scrapping the spongy outgrowth on the damp wall. “Hey! Be careful how you steer, will you. I said I could eat a rock, not moss.”

Harry didn’t mind the indignity, or the discomfort of being moved around. But, he did mind when his face rubbed hard against the damp rock wall. He was about to say more, but decided against it. Instead, he contented himself with watching where they were heading. After a few more minutes, the tunnel opened to a huge cavern. Torches, located in different parts of the cavern, lit automatically. Harry could see different sizes of stalactites hanging from the high ceiling, and stalagmites littering the floor. Some stalactites and stalagmites met to form natural pillars.

“Where are we?” Harry softly asked, in awe of the immensity of the cavern.

For a moment, Ambrose interestedly looked around him also, before turning his attention to Harry. “We are in the cave of our ancestors.”

“Cave of our ancestors? What ancestors?” Harry uncomprehendingly gaped at the Death Eater. Suddenly, he fell to the ground with a soft thud. The rope binding him loosened, before disappearing completely. “Bloody hell! Couldn’t you have given me a warning before doing that?” He gave Ambrose an annoyed look. He brusquely brushed the dirt off his cloak as he stood up.

Ambrose merely smirked. “Follow me. I’ll show you something.” After a few steps, the Death Eater stopped and expectantly looked back at Harry. “Come on.”

Harry irately glared at Ambrose. “I should just turn around and go home. Let’s see how you like it.” Nevertheless, despite his resentment, he followed the Death Eater.

They took a short walk deeper into the cavern, until they reached another opening in a solid rock wall. The passage was even narrower as Harry found out. At one point, he had to squeeze his body between two big boulders. Fortunately, it was a short passage. Harry found himself in another cavern. And, like the previous one, torches lit as soon as they stepped in. Harry curiously looked around him. The cavern was a smaller version of the other one. However, instead of just uneven ground, there was a large, flat, dirt-covered floor in the center. Ambrose stopped in the middle of the roughly hewn floor. Harry stood beside him, wondering what on Earth the wolf Death Eater wanted him to see.

There was a serious look on Ambrose’s face when he turned to Harry. “I presume Hywel already told you about your special gift?”

Harry affected a confuse expression. “What special gift are you talking about?”

Ambrose frowned. “Don’t play dumb with me, Harry. It doesn’t suit you.”

“Who’s playing dumb?” Harry replied dourly. For a moment, he and Ambrose steadily glared at each other.

“Did he or did he not tell you?” Ambrose asked coldly.

“Yes, Ferghus told me,” Harry answered carefully. “He tried to convince me I’m this mythical twilight wolf. I told him I’m not. I told him he made a mistake.”

“He was telling you the truth.” Ambrose cold demeanor relaxed a little bit. “You are a twilight wolf. For the most part, your survival instinct triggers and dictates your abilities. That’s why you remember very little of your actions. The beast in you has control, not you.”

“Reallyyy…” For a moment, Harry suspiciously looked at Ambrose. But, Ambrose merely looked back at him, expressionless. “Are you serious?” The Death Eater somberly nodded. “You’re not just playing a prank on me, are you?” The Death Eater somberly shook his head. “I’m really this twilight wolf?” The Death Eater, again, somberly nodded. For a moment, Harry again suspiciously looked at Ambrose. He just couldn’t believe it. When he rejoined the wizarding world, he only had one goal. And, that was to bring justice to his Uncle Max’s death. He never imagined there could be more to him than being just a simple wizard. Finally, as if reaching a decision, Harry looked Ambrose straight in the eye. “Can you show me how I can master this gift, so I’ll be actually aware of what I do?”

Ambrose smiled gamely. “That is the reason I brought you here. This chamber holds the key to your heritage.”

Harry just curiously looked around him. He doubted it was his heritage. However, he was very interested in unlocking it. He couldn’t understand himself why he tried to deny his gift in the first place. The only explanation he could think of was the lesson taught by his Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon… He was not special. “So, where do we look for this key?” he asked in a grave voice. He didn’t hear an answer. When he turned his attention back to Ambrose, he noticed the broad smile on his face. He warily smiled in return. “What? Did I say something funny?”

“No. It’s just that you sounded like you’ll devote your whole life to find the key.” Harry scowled at Ambrose. “Don’t worry. The key is closer than you think.”

Harry sighed exasperatedly. “Just how close are we talking here?”

“Very close.” Harry glared at Ambrose to urge him along. But, the wolf Death Eater merely chuckled. “Young people these days are so impatient.” Harry glared even more. “Look down. You’re standing on it.”

Harry skeptically looked down at the dust covered floor. “Right here?” He questioningly looked at Ambrose again. “Are you sure?” Ambrose smilingly nodded his head. For a moment, Harry thoughtfully considered the wolf Death Eater in front of him. “I’m curious… Why exactly are you helping me? In fact, why are you even protecting me in the first place? Did you and my uncle have some sort of an agreement? Have I, by any chance, accidentally donated money in a Death Eaters Retirement Fund?”

There was an amused look on Ambrose face when he answered. “Let’s just say I’m helping you for my own sake as much as yours. You don’t know this yet, but you helped me accept the truth.”

“What are you talking about?” Harry asked more confused. “Could you be more specific? For example, how could I have…” Harry noticed Ambrose wasn’t paying attention to him. There was a look of concentration on his face. “What’s wrong?”

“Ssshh… Listen.” Harry questioningly looked at Ambrose. The Death Eater warily turned towards where they came from. “Do you hear that?” Although confuse, Harry, nevertheless, focused his attention at hearing…something. He didn’t hear anything odd at first. He was about to tease the Death Eater for being paranoid, when suddenly, he heard a soft swoosh of air…and another…and another. Breathing…he’s hearing soft breathing, several of them, in fact. And, they didn’t belong to him or Ambrose. “Come out whoever you are! I know you’re here! I can hear you breathing!”


A few meters away, the air shimmered and several black-cloaked, white-masked figures revealed themselves…. Death Eaters. In a deliberate move, Ambrose stood in front of Harry, giving him cover. A Death Eater, standing in front of the others, moved forward.

“My, my, my…what big ears you have?” With studied grace, the lead Death Eater passed his wand over his masked face, as if shooing away a fluttering butterfly. The other Death Eaters behind him followed suit. Harry glared hard at every one of the Death Eaters. His eyes specially narrowed as he recognized one of them…Draco Malfoy.

“Malfoy” Ambrose softly uttered the name in disgust. “How did you find me?”

Malfoy grinned disdainfully. “I always knew werewolves can’t be trusted. I have my suspicion that traitor, Hywel, has an accomplice. So, I put a tracking charm on every portkey I gave to your kind. When the other werewolves returned from their search mission and you didn’t, I knew I found the accomplice.” Malfoy disparagingly glance at Harry. “It’s a pity Hywel isn’t here. But, it appears you led me to an even bigger price.”

Instead of being dismayed, Ambrose grinned mockingly as he unobtrusively reached inside his cloak pocket for the portkey. “I have to hand it to you, Malfoy. You are one devious git.” Without dropping his guard, he slowly walked backward to Harry’s side, and casually placed his hand with the portkey on the teen’s shoulder. “I love to stay and chat, but my friend and I have more important things to do. By the way Malfoy, thank you for reminding me.” Ambrose promptly activated his portkey. Nothing happened.

“Something wrong, Huxley?” Malfoy enquired sarcastically. “Oh… Did you forget it’s a time activated portkey.” Malfoy mildly looked at his watch. “Tsk, tsk, tsk… Your time is up.” Malfoy grinned nastily at Ambrose. “The hunters are here.”

Ambrose glared furiously at the wolfish-looking Malfoy. He quickly changed tactic. There was still one option open to him. He tried to disapparate with Harry. Nothing happened either.

“Oh, and did I also forget to mention the anti-apparition ward,” Malfoy asked with insulting innocence. “Dear me… How very remiss of me.”

Ambrose gritted his teeth in fury. They were trapped. It seemed to him the only remaining option was to fight their way out. Still warily watching his former comrades, Ambrose stood closer to the young wizard. “Harry,” he softly whispered. “When I start throwing curses, you run as fast as you can. Don’t worry about me. Just get yourself out of here. Do you understand?”

Harry understood alright. The only problem was he didn’t agree. “Damn it. There are too many of them. You’re thinking suicide,” he vehemently whispered back. “I can’t leave you to fight by yourself. There must be another way.”

“Don’t argue with me. There is no other way,” Ambrose whispered angrily. “Just do as I say. We can’t surrender. We’re as good as dead if we do.” The wolf Death Eater gave the young wizard a determined look. “You must live, Harry.” And then, he resolutely stepped forward, and stood slightly off to Harry’s right side.

Harry silently cursed Ambrose. He couldn’t understand why the wolf Death Eater would just sacrifice himself. His life wasn’t any more precious than Ambrose’s. After a few seconds of hesitation, he decided to inconspicuously move to his left. He bid his strange ally a silent good luck. With his senses on full alert, Harry tensely waited for Ambrose’s diversion.
Sign up to rate and review this story