Categories > Original > Fantasy > Merchant Of Death

Chapter Five

by lost_in_the_shuffle 0 reviews

Chalise is a merchant of death, have a person causing a problem? Call her.

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Romance - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2008-06-13 - Updated: 2008-06-13 - 870 words

0Unrated
Peter and I traveled for days, stopping at the houses with red stars. Accepting hospitality from the people, humans and immortals, that lived there. As we drew closer and closer to Circe and Peter’s fate, I found myself more and more in love with him, and more confused about what to do.
Finally we reached a small fishing village and I realized, we were only a short distance away from Circe’s island.
“Let’s go in there,”I said, indicating a bar. “Maybe we can find a boat to charter, or someone to take us to Circe.”
Peter nodded, and opened the door for me, following me inside.
Once in the cool dark interior, I realized that I wouldn’t be seen. “Seems like you’re in this by yourself.” I said, and Peter nodded.
I stood there watching as Peter went up to the bartender, who gave him the once over.
“We need to charter a boat,” Peter said, then my attention wavered to the two men sitting at a table in the corner.
They were watching Peter, and I saw one of them slowly move his hand under the table.
Quickly I moved across the room, just as the man brought a gun up. I kicked the gun out of his hand and he looked over in surprise.
“I should’ve known,” I said, “human assassins, someone must be getting desperate.”
I knew they couldn’t see me, which made my job easier. I grabbed the first man, and threw him across the table as the second man, began to run away. Grabbing the gun from the floor, I brought it up and shot him, killing him instantly, then turned where the first man was trying to get up and shot him.
I looked toward Peter, across the now empty room, and began to walk toward him. Suddenly the door crashed open and I looked up.
“Shit,” I swore, launching myself the last few feet and bringing Peter to the floor just as the first merchant of death came in.
“Get behind the bar,” I said, then stood up and swung around, bringing my gun up.
The merchant of death sneered at me.
“I had heard you had turned for a puny human Chalise,” he said, “but I didn’t believe it. Until now,” he smirked and cocked his gun.
“Walk away Victor,” I said, “there’s no reason for you to get involved.”
“Vincent will reward me if I bring back your head,” he said, bringing his gun up. “That’s reason enough for me.”
He shot at me, and I dove, just as the bullet went past my head.
I landed on my feet, and shot at Victor, catching him between the eyes.
“Bastard,” I said, then turned, kicking out as another merchant of death rushed at me. He grabbed my ankle, and I twisted through the air, finally kicking him in the nose with my other foot.
He howled and staggered backwards, grabbing his bleeding nose with his hands.
I brought my gun up and shot him, sending him flying backwards into the wall.
I turned and ran as the bullets whizzed past me, and dove behind the bar.
“Any ideas?” I asked Peter, showing him that I was out of bullets.
“Just one,” he said, “hopefully there’s a back door to this place.”
We quickly crawled, toward the back, as the bullets whizzed around us. I almost shouted with joy when I saw there was indeed a back door.
I looked toward the front as the shooting stopped and knew we didn’t have much time.
Quickly we ran out the door, closing it and barring it with an iron bar I found lying in the alley.
“That won’t keep them for long,” I said, “let’s go.”
We ran as fast as we could toward the harbor, and behind us I heard the door crash open.
I grabbed Peter’s shirt, and ducked quickly into a corner, pressing his body against mine.
For a moment, the world stopped as I realized how close his lips were to mine. He looked down at me and groaned, then captured my lips with his. I closed my eyes and grasped his head, kissing him back, forgetting the danger that we were in.
Finally Peter pulled away, “I think that they’ve gone by,” he said, and I blinked my eyes, for a moment disoriented.
Finally I nodded and we went carefully out into the streets, watching around his.
We managed to get to the small harbor and I saw a boat that was unattended.
“Come on,”I said, running toward the boat, quickly I untied it and we jumped in.
“Do you know how to sail a boat?” Peter asked and I shook my head.
“No,” I said, “but if our only choice is to try and sail ourselves or stay and die. I choose trying to sail.”
I guided the boat out of the harbor as the other merchants of death arrived, they began shooting at us but we were far enough away that it didn’t reach us.
Finally we were out in open sea, heading for Circe’s island.
Sign up to rate and review this story