Categories > Anime/Manga > Naruto > To Hurt and to Heal

Chapter 1

by sirrah-chan 0 reviews

The mission was succeed; in a way. We know that time will heal but is it supposed to take this long?

Category: Naruto - Rating: R - Genres: Drama - Characters: Iruka,Kakashi - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2008-06-13 - Updated: 2008-06-13 - 2719 words - Complete

1Exciting
Kakashi felt the familiar tinglish sensation somewhere near his spine at the exact same moment as his kunai sliced open the throat of a young watchninja. The body never hit the ground as it was supported by the strong arms of a silver haired shinobi from Konoha. Gathering the lithe body to his arms, Kakashi silently backed away to the shelter of the woods. There he lowered the body to the ground and after couple of hand seals it looked more like an old snag than a human body. Few seals after, Kakashi could once again see a watchninja, exactly the same looking as the one he had just eliminated, standing in front of the old forest cabin.

The transformed clone wasn't actually a necessary. In fact, it would be better if the rogue ninjas inside saw the missing watch, because then they might send a man or two to look after him which would mean Kakashi could eliminate them smoothly and safely one by one. The clone didn't actually ruin this plan, but it wasn't certainly needed. The reason why Kakashi had decided to waste chakra for this needles thing was because he wanted to know why he had felt the return of his chakra a moment ago.

It was most likely just Pakkun that had unsummoned back to him which already made the situation interesting because Kakashi didn't even know somebody else than he could possibly do that. Other than that he was also very eager to get every detail from Iruka's mission to retrieve Mizuki, which had been the reason he had lend his best trace-dog in the first place.

One might wonder a little why the so called cold bastard like Kakashi wanted or cared to know some boring details of some chuunin's mission. Kakashi himself wasn't one of those. He didn't even try to fool himself to think that he didn't like the former teacher of his first and at the moment, only genin team. He was a good enough ninja to keep his mind simple by not lying to himself so he could concentrate to his missions and live yet another week.

And the reason why the rest of the world didn't know his attraction to the academy teacher was because he didn't have any intention to admit it to them. Not even to the subject of his attraction. He wasn't afraid to admit it, he was afraid the possible positive outcome of this admission. Iruka wasn't a person who could just have some random sex and then avoid the one night stand the rest of his life. And even if he was, Kakashi knew he wouldn't be able to do that. Not with Iruka.

From the first time Kakashi had acknowledged his crush to Iruka he had known he couldn't do anything about it. His feelings were already strong enough even if they were hardly friends. Taking a lover and maybe even a life partner like Iruka to his life would mean that he or him would eventually make a mistake of thinking the other in a mission too much and that would eventually cost their lives. Not to mention the unbearable grief that would come if either of them was lost in the battle. Or worse, used against each other in the battle.

So, for a mere second Kakashi thought the idea of not summoning Pakkun but then again, the curiosity and doubt would nag his mind the rest of the evening if he didn't find out just how well Iruka had managed. It didn't take many hand seals to summon the pug faced Pakkun with a small puff.

"What took you so long", Pakkun said with a cross face that Kakashi had only once heard called cute by a kunoichi. Kakashi merely shrugged his shoulders and instead of answering, scratched lazily his spiky hair.

"Soooo~ Mission succeeded then?" Kakashi said nonchalantly hiding well the obvious curious behind his words.

"Not even in your standards", Pakkun snorted.

"He didn't catch Mizuki?" Kakashi asked hoping that was the case instead of something that involved very pale and bloody Iruka.

"Oh, he caught him. Or at least that lapcat was unconscious when that sickenly nice friend of yours unsummoned me back. Which reminds me that you shouldn't reveal all your ninja tricks for your lays", Pakkun said with accusing eyes.

"Iruka unsummoned you?" Kakashi said without even trying to hide his surprise.

"Yeah, like that would help anything".

"What do you mean?"

"Just that the friend of yours is either some sort of martyr or he really cares you. Knowing your personality it must be the first."

"What do you mean?" Kakashi said more than little worried without realizing that he was repeating himself.

"If that lad had wanted to save himself, he should have had sent me back to the village to fetch some help but nooo~ He starts this ramble with how I wouldn't stand a chance if the enemy attacked and how my captivity might somehow harm you or reveal some your ultra secret ninja tricks that anyone who is willing to sleep with you could get anyway", Pakkun said with a great annoyance in his voice.

"You mean Iruka fell…" Kakashi said, his mind already starting to turn numb from realization.

"And just were did you leave your brain. How on earth he could have unsummon me if he was dead", Pakkun said with a roll of his eyes making the huge stone in Kakashi's chest vanish. "Of course now he is probably dead"

And the stone was back.

"You don't know that”, Kakashi said defensively, but received only an annoyingly knowing look from Pakkun so he felt his argument need little more support

“You’ve seen it yourself. Iruka is much stronger than what he looks like. His wits are excellent and his chakra control is near perfect. I bet the back-up team has already fetched him and he is nicely recovering in the hospital right now", Kakashi said forcing himself a little to believe in his own words. And just what had he a second ago assured to himself; that he was good enough ninja not to lie himself.

"What back up team? We found a nasty surprise that Mizuki wasn't as alone as he should have been. I'm not even sure if that chuunin and those Genins are able to defeat those huge friends of Mizuki's let alone find that friend of yours after the rain wiped most of the tracks away. The lad is all alone and I think he used the last of his chakra to send me back here. Now was that a stupid thing to do or not", Pakkun said with a very questioning and daring look in his small eyes.

So that's for the nice safe 'one by one' plan.


*

Iruka was now in the point where he had to force his eyelids to stay open. Not that he could see much of anything anyway when his vision was mostly covered by veil of red blood that was dripping on his face somewhere from his head; maybe from his temple. There was still a chance that some of the escaped prisoners would wander here or worse, that Mizuki would wake up from his unconscious. So he had to stay awake; if not to fight then at least to take his own life if the occasion called for it.

It had always been one of the most difficult things he had to teach to his students, but now, when he himself was in the situation that he really might have to take his own life, it didn't feel as scary thought as it has felt in the class room. He didn't have any advanced bloodline jutsus in his blood, so it wasn't nearly as bad if the enemy got his dead body than if they had caught him alive. Caught alive would mean very nasty interrogations and just the reminding of the 'surviving enemy interrogations' teaching he had gone through years ago, reminded him that there was a possibility that he would eventually crack. Not that he eagerly wanted the pain either.

So once again Iruka forced his heavy eyelids to stay open as he sat on the wet ground, supported by a firm treetrunk. The rain had kept Iruka awake but now that it had stopped it became more and more tempting to let go and fall to the darkness from which he might never wake up again.

But then he heard it. Squelching sound of someone’s sandals against the wet ground, not very far away from him. Iruka didn't even try to hide his chakra. First of all he was on a very open place so he was easy to spot and second, he didn’t have much chakra to hide anyway. So instead, Iruka grabbed one of his three kunais that were left and tried to focus his sight to that direction in the woods, where he heard the ever closing sound of sandals.

It didn't take long for the owner of those sandals to step out of the woods to the open area where Iruka was leaning heavily against the treetrunk. In a blink of an eye Iruka had thrown one of the kunais towards the figure, not surprised at all when his target catch it straight up from the air. It did surprise him that the figure actually stopped.

"Now this wasn't actually the kind of reward I hoped I would receive when I decide to come and rescue you", a voice that sounded like Kakashi's said. The enemy must have been fool to think he would fall to a trick like that. Even if Iruka's mind felt dizzy he could still think straight enough to realize that there was no chance that Kakashi could be really standing in front of him when he was supposed to be on a mission somewhere else. Or that he would ever make as much noise as the man in front of him had made.

Kakashi had halted his steps when Iruka had thrown the kunai against him. How stupid for him to think that the wounded Iruka was going to be easy to approach. He smiled to himself and took a step closer but the words that were going to come out of his mouth vanished along with his intentions of advancing when he saw Iruka lift his kunai.

"Wait, it's me... and besides you're in no condition to even throw those around, let alone hit one with", Kakashi said hiding his deep concern behind the usual sarcasm.

"I have... no intention... to attack", Iruka said breathlessly staring challenging the imposter in front of him. His movement slowed by the loss of blood and strength were still fast enough to bring the kunai to his own neck before the ninja in front him could get to him. For Iruka's great surprise the Kakashi looking man stayed put, a horrid shock shining from his only visible eye.

"Iruka, wait", Kakashi nearly screamed backing away unconsciously. His instincts were far more useful at the moment since his heart had nearly stopped from the sight of Iruka attempting to take his own life.

"It's me. I'm here to get you back to the village", Kakashi said trying to control himself. He needed himself sharp and sober if he were to convince Iruka that he was not under enemy attack.

"You really... think... I'm easy", Iruka said with somewhat self pleased smile. "You can't be... Kakashi".

"And why's that?" Kakashi said rising an eyebrow. He was dealing with Iruka here. With enough reasoning he could prove him that he really was Kakashi and the sooner that happened the sooner he could get him safe.

"I noticed you... approaching... I'd never... Kakashi", Iruka said the hand holding the kunai on his throat shaking from the stress and exhaustion.

"There was no reason for me to hide my steps. There was only one unknown chakra inside miles and that was unconscious one. I wanted to get to you as soon as possible", Kakashi said honestly, relaxing a bit. The last thing he wanted to do now was to look threatening.

"Your intelligence... work better... Kakashi isn't... here", Iruka said straining his strength and getting a better hold of the kunai. He really should just do it. There was no point of dragging this any longer.

"What do you mean I shouldn't be here? You send for me for yourself", Kakashi said watching the dreaded kunai shaking on Iruka's hand.

"I... send?" Iruka asked little puzzled.

"Yes. And I would really like to know how you were able to unsummon Pakkun. But we can discuss that when we get you back to the village", Kakashi said, sure his reasoning had went through.
An unsure and doubting frown swept over Iruka’s bloody face until it finally melt to a small relieved smile and his hand dropped from his neck.

"Kakashi... yokatta", was all Iruka was able to say before his strength gave in and his eyes lid close while his body start sliding the treetrunk. He never hit the wet ground though, because Kakashi's strong arms were there to support him. His fingers found the weak pulse on Iruka's neck, too weak considering the distance they had to travel before getting back to the village and the wonderful medical centre of it that would be able to bring the color back to Iruka's white face.

"I'm sorry for this", Kakashi whispered almost soundlessly, pulled his face cloth down to his chin and kissed the lips of the now limb man in his lap. Even though Iruka's lips were cold and he could taste the blood inside his mouth, small warmth swept over Kakashi when he realized he was finally doing the thing he had denied from himself for so long. Of course this was only the PG-rated part of what he really desired. One could never guess how well the heterosexual situations in 'Icha Icha Paradise' could be applied to homosexual ones.

But even though many of the people who knew him wouldn't have been too surprised to find him molesting the unconscious academy teacher, it wasn't the case in this time. All though that was really tempting. No. Pouring his own chakra in to Iruka through the kiss was the only way to keep the gentle man in his lap alive. He was no med-ninja and could do nothing but hope that Iruka actually accepted the intruding chakra.

Ending the kiss way too early for his own liking, but even little over timed for the needed chakra transfer, Kakashi pulled back, placing his face cloth back. He once again placed his finger in Iruka's neck and waited. After what felt like the longest seconds in his life, he could feel the pulse getting stronger, steadier, making him sigh for relief.

Kakashi was already lifting Iruka up, in every intentions of getting him back to the village and more importantly, to the hospital, when he remembered Mizuki. The man was still an unmoving pile on the muddy ground, but he might not be that for long. For a second Kakashi was torn between his duties a soldier of Konoha and his own emotions, but that lasted only an blink of an eye, before the solution came to him.

Studying the unconscious chuunin, Kakashi traced his fingers over the damp clothes, examining the injuries the man had suffered. There were various cuts on his limps as well as on his chest and side and an ugly wound on his temple, but none of them was bleeding furiously. Kakashi was happy to learn that there weren't any broken bones, so Iruka would survive even if he had to hang him over his shoulder. The journey back would be little harsh but that way he could get them both back without having to compromise neither his heart or his job.

When picking up Iruka on his shoulder he revealed another injure that he hadn't noticed on his first examination. Even if Iruka's trousers were wet and muddy, Kakashi, having seen enough blood stains for a couple of lifetimes, could easily separate the dark spots on the back of them.

This mission had really been far from a successful one.
Sign up to rate and review this story