Categories > Books > Harry Potter > A Different Sort of Bond

Chapter 17

by Balder 7 reviews

Morning sickness and Halloween

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Humor,Romance - Characters: Harry,Neville - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2014-01-14 - 2058 words

5Original
A Different Sort of Bond Chapter 17

Disclaimer: I don't own the Potterverse!
Author's Note: I'm having those wizards and witches who grow up in magical households be mostly pagan. It just seems to fit for me.

Harry woke to the sound of retching in the morning. ‘Well,’ he told himself, ‘it has been awhile without problems so one was bound to show up.’ He had woken in the shower again as he’d almost come to expect. Daphne was next to him of course but she wasn’t the one retching. “Who is that?” he asked.

“I’m not sure which of them it is,” Daphne replied. “She just burst in and started puking in the bowl. She’s wearing a t shirt and boxers so it might be Neville but Trace did that a lot too. You can ask her when we get out.” She grinned, “Unless you’re too embarrassed to leave the shower until she’s gone.”

“I can ask from in here,” Harry said. “You okay out there?”

“Ohhh,” the person moaned. “Can you call the Unspeakable Daph? I don’t know what’s wrong with me.”

“Sure Trace,” Daphne said. “Its probably morning sickness but I’ll call him as soon as I get Harry to leave the shower.”

“I hope you feel better soon Tracey,” Harry added.

“I’ll be,” Tracey started but she started throwing up again.

“Is our shower over?” Harry asked.

“Well I was going to ask you help with my hair but that can wait a day,” Daphne said. “So yes, we’re done.”

“Then let’s go call Bode on the crystal,” Harry said. “I doubt Tracey will be peeking in her condition.”

Daphne smiled, “Good. I’m glad you are starting to loosened up, let’s go.” She shut of the water and dried them with her wand. Then she swept the curtain open and stepped out. They quickly left the bathroom and called Bode. He agreed to stop by later that day.

“Good news hon,” Daphne called out. “He’s coming by today.”

The only answer was more retching, and they could hear it from Neville’s room too.

“I suppose it’s only natural for him to be sick too,” Harry said.

“I am glad Bode is coming but I can’t stay here,” Daphne said. “Let’s dress and go to the great hall for breakfast.”

“Sure Daphne,” Harry said. At breakfast they told Hermione and she said she would stop by later.

“Does this mean you aren’t going into Hogsmeade today?” Ron asked.

“It does,” Harry said. “We’ll wait with them until after he’s left. We got to go yesterday so it’s not so bad. I hope you both have fun.”

They went back to the room they shared with the other two and hearing no sounds of retching once inside they asked Winky to set out tea. “How are you feeling?” Harry called out. “We have some hot tea if you’re feeling up to it.”

Neville and Tracey came to sit in the common room and accepted a cup. “Sorry about barging in this morning Harry,” Tracey said. “The other bathroom was occupied.”

“No problem Tracey,” he replied. “I hope you’re feeling better?”

She gave a small smile, “Yes, a bit.”

Neville said, “It’s probably morning sickness but I’m glad you called Bode.”

“It was the least I could do Neville,” Daphne said. “Would you like to try some oatmeal?”

He sighed, “Maybe. I know we need more than tea.”

The oatmeal stayed down but neither of them were happy that morning until Bode came. He gave them a box of vials, “Take one each morning as soon as you wake up and it should keep the nausea at bay. It is morning sickness like you thought. I’ve given you enough for a month and I’ll be back for our regular checkup before it runs out but feel free to call me before then if something comes up.” He turned to Harry and Daphne, “How are you two?”

“We’re fine,” Harry said.

“His eyesight has improved,” Daphne said. “He also seems to have more energy and stamina since he lost the horcrux in his scar.”

“Is that true Harry?” Bode asked.

“Maybe, I don’t know,” Harry shrugged. “I should double check something with you though. We’re going to participate in a Winter Solstice ritual will that affect the solution to this?” He lifted their joined hands.

“You should be separated by then so it should not matter,” Bode said. “Which is good because the effects of divine or religious magic can’t be predicted beforehand. It usually just provides a sense of wellbeing and possibly a small light show but it depends on the will of the entity being addressed.”

“We’ve done the ritual every year and nothing bad has come of it yet,” Daphne said in a hostile tone. “I think we are more likely to get a bad result if we try to skip it this year. The goddess has been good to us so far and helped us destroy that diadem so I’ll trust in her.” She shrugged and continued in a more normal tone of voice, “Then again we should be separated by then anyway.”

"Will you still be my girlfriend after we're separated?" Harry asked, suddenly feeling insecure.

"Of course I will," Daphne answered. "Why wouldn't I?"

"Well that sounds like my cue to leave," Bode said. He opened the door and left quickly.

Harry blushed, "Sorry, I'm getting better but I still have attacks of insecurity. My foster parents told me I was worthless quite a lot. Sirius and my friends have helped but sometimes..." He shrugged, "Well you heard."

Daphne hugged him as well as she could with one arm, "Well I'd never have said yes if you weren't a very worthwhile man so next time you feel like that just remember this and shrug it off." Then she kissed him.

Tracey said, "Awww, how sweet!" Then she turned and kissed Neville. "When you're male again you'll get a better one." Neville blushed and kissed her cheek.

The potions Bode left for them worked and the nausea was under control after that for the pregnant ones. A week after Bode’s visit it was time to be measured for the Basilisk armor and pick up the knives made from the fangs.

When the goblins asked them to strip for measuring Harry didn’t even blink before performing the now well practiced switching spell on his and Daphne’s clothes. Neville sighed first but also raised no complaints. The goblins made them two sets of armor. One set for them to wear when joined and one with almost the same measurements but two hands instead of one joined one. Everyone else got one set of armor and everyone got a knife.

“Be careful with those knives,” the goblin armorer said. “One scratch and you’ll be poisoned.”

They all nodded. They’d be very careful with their new knives. Even the two who knew they didn’t need to fear the poison were worried they’d scratch someone by accident.

"I'll ask them to make another for you after you are male again Nev," Harry said.

"Thanks Harry," Neville said.

"Will these expand with us?" Tracey asked. "Two of us are pregnant."

The goblins nodded, "They are spelled to expand and contract with you as you grow, gain, or lose weight."

"Thank you for everything," Harry said.

The next week was Halloween. Harry had grown to hate Halloween in the wizarding world as it always seemed to involve bad things so he’d planned to spend it in his room. Of course he’d planned that before and it hadn’t worked. It didn’t this time either.

“Come on Harry,” Daphne said. “You’ve got to show up at the great hall for meals today.”

“Why?” he asked plaintively. “We’ve skipped before and I hate this holiday.”

“That’s why,” she said. “Everyone knows how you feel about it and if you don’t show up they’ll think its because you’re afraid. It’s not true and I want to be sure that both our friends and our enemies know it’s not true. So we are getting up and we are going to breakfast in the great hall.”

Harry groaned but nodded, “Fine. Do I look okay?”

“You look fine,” she said. “You don’t have to worry about that anymore. I won’t let you leave looking like bad as long as we are a couple.” And with that they left.

Nothing happened at breakfast or lunch but that didn't raise his hopes any. As they headed down for dinner he was expecting bad news. What he wasn't expecting was to see her parents waiting for them just outside the doors. He had been coached on this very event even if neither had expected it to be needed until December so he was able to greet them properly despite being stunned. After a few pleasantries had been exchanged however he asked the question burning in his mind, "Might I ask why I have the honor and pleasure of your company months earlier than I had anticipated?"

"Such lovely manners you have dear boy," Mrs. Greengrass said. "I hope it has rubbed off on Daphne." Her husband muttered something under his breath and she glared at him briefly before beaming at Harry again. "Why yes, there is a reason we're here. We saw that delightfully article in the news about you and our dear daughter and thought that foundation idea of yours was simply lovely! So much that that we wanted to help out. My husband had the brilliant idea of being among the first to accept a portkey from the foundation and do it in public!" She gave her husband a look and her nodded.

"So we told a reporter we got two from the foundation and were coming here to bring Astoria one just in case she has trouble before reaching us for the holidays," Mr. Greengrass said. "I asked her to stay close to you so she could use it to save all of you if necessary but she refused for some reason." He shrugged, "I guess she figures you can make alternate arrangements."

Daphne gives Harry a look, unaware of how much she looked like her mother while doing it, and Harry nods. He will get in touch with the goblins and make sure that no other portkeys go to the same safehouse to which that portkey is set.

Out loud Harry said, "Well I imagine we'll be safe in any case. It's only a short trip." He's surprised at how diplomatic he sounds and decided it must be his new friends rubbing off on him.

Mr. Greengrass smiled, "That's the spirit Harry!" He pulled something from his pocket and offered it to Harry, "This is the portkey we'll be giving to Astoria. There are photographer's waiting inside to get pictures of you handing it to me and me handing it to my youngest child to make certain of her safety. It really will be wonderful publicity for your foundation. The other neutrals will be encouraged to make use of the foundation as well as those who have declared for the light."

Harry nodded and took the portkey, suppressing the sigh that wanted to escape at the thought of more press on the other side of the door.

Mrs. Greengrass asked her daughter, "Have you thought of keeping track of those who refuse the foundation's portkeys?"

"She thought of it long ago," Harry said. "She's brilliant that way." Daphne blushed and her mother beamed at the praise of her older daughter.

Mr. Greengrass looked less happy and commented, "Let's get this done." He turned and opened the double doors leading to the great hall.

Harry took a deep breath and pasted a smile on his face as the doors opened. He was amused by the looks on the faces of some of the Slytherins as he formally hand Mr. Greengrass the portkey in the name of Sirius Black but mostly he wished Daphne had been right and nothing unusual had happened.
Sign up to rate and review this story