Hannah explains, Hermione confesses, Daphne decides, Rita overhears, Molly believes and Ginny gloats
- First off, it's good to see that the situation with Hermione actually ended up strengthening his relationship with Daphne; the fact that Hannah and Hermione both went out of their way to counsel Daphne was undoubtedly a factor as that kind of loyalty says a lot about Harry.
Be afraid, Ron, be very afraid. With Hermione and Daphne combining talents for revenge on you, it's going to be uniquely nasty, even if it's not a health hazard. And that's not going to take into account Ginny's reaction now that she can't keep Hermione's support from Harry and Harry's actions toward Hermione clearly indicate that losing Ron's support is not going to pain Harry, now, as it would've earlier.
The whole bit with faking out the Weasley females was nicely done, including setting up Rita most beautifully. I can just see Harry explaining, after some "aggrieved party" complains to the Headmaster: "I'm sorry, Headmaster, I've no idea why Rita would write that; you'd think she'd heard a rumor and ran with it. Certainly, if she'd bothered to do a standard check with the Goblins, she'd have known better. On the other hand, this is perfectly in accordance with the journalistic skills and integrity she's shown in her brevious dealinsg with me." He could say it with an honest, straight face since he's got no idea, at least at first, of what really happened. Along the same lines, I wodner if Molly's or Ginny's badgering him about it would move him t try and obtain answers.
- One small question, when did October 15 become the next day after October 13? A minor typo, there, methinks.
Author's responseNope, on purpose. The 13th was a Saturday (really, not JKR's silly 'September 1st is always a Monday calendar) A Victorian society like the Wizarding world wouldn't have a Sunday paper, so the first Rita could spread her rumors would be Monday the 15th.
- i liked the chapter quite a bit.
love what you did to skeeter. smirk, i wonder if hermoine knew about her.
i wonder, perhaps a variation on the marauders map? a piece of paper that is centered on its own physical location, and shows teh location of people. rita ought to show up on something like that. even if it cant get through the most basic of wards on a wizarding building, and has little range, it would definitly be useful if you are looking out for someone like rita skeeter if its only looking at close range line of sight.
anyway, looking forward to seeing the next chapter soon.
Author's response- Yes they knew they were setting her up. I wasn't as clear as I intended to be, but the necklace she was playing with was charmed to detect animagi...
- So, despite Harry's theory Arthur was the one who sent the marriage contract -- which pretty much shows he was totally in the dark about what Molly and Ginny had been up to.
And I agree about forgetting the Galleon's canon conversion rate if there was any trace of gold in it (as opposed to being 'golden'). Rowling proved time and again that she could add 2+ 2 and get any number of answers from 2 to 1000, but rarely 4
I wonder what the bint and the gigolo will do next? (Yes, Ginny and Ron)
Author's response- I see it more as poor Arthur is henpecked to the point of misery....
- The amount of gold that would equate five pounds in 1997 would be tiny indeed.
- I see you qualified Hermione into harry's life and made it clear that if Daphne's gonna be his girl She will have to accept Hermione as much as harry will have to accept Ruth!
Good as we need to get to Save Susan and figure her palce as well.
Oh and Nice job not only submarining Ginny and Miolly, but also starting the rift that will split the Wrasley's up!
More like Weasley's and Prewitts!
BTW don't they have old wizard's debts to the Potters?!?!? (Nice plot tool to use!)
- Yes, an excellent job, they did indeed prank the nation.
Fred and George need to make a 'we're not worthy' appearance . . . because this is a bigger prank than the 'twin-into-a-Veela-in-heat' pranks.
Looking forward to more