Dumbledore makes a mistake, Thor makes a cameo, Harry takes a hike.
- One way to get rid of Umbridge would be for Fudge to can her for losing Harry as he will need an escape goat to blame.
Dumbledore seems to be unable to change his grand plans for achieving the greater good. Instead of using the resources Harry Stark could bring to stooping Voldemort. He is trying to stuff Harry Stark in to the mold of cannon Harry Potter.
Harry Stark was raised and trained by major level heroes of the marvel universe. He was raised with the idea that with great power come grater responbilty when to use or not use it. Let’s face it many of the Avengers could level most of New York or London on their own .They know you cannot force the greater good on the world and have the world thank you for it. Hey if you ask the take over the world villains most if not all would say that once they rule the world a perfect society would arise from the order they would establish for the greater good.Villains do not see them selves as villiains.
Author's response- That may well have happened, but it won't be mentioned in the story and Umbitch won't be appearing again. (Truth be told, the only reason I used her at all was for the whole name game...)
- I've long been of the belief that everyone does what they think is the right thing to do... No matter how deluded they may be.
- fun chapter.thor was great.
i'd love to see the male reactions to she-hulk's physique(better than fleur anyday.
Author's response- I've been trying to come up with a reasonable excuse to have Jennifer visit Hogwarts, so that someone (haven't decided who yet) could comment on her... attributes, and Harry could deliver a well deserved beating for someone oggling one of his surrogate mothers...
- Yay! The story's been updated! :D
I'm not much of a comic book geek (Marvel or DC), so I know little about the characters (other than the X-People). It's always good to see the British Ministry put in it's place, at the bottom of the Wizarding pile! XD When I was finished reading the chapter I wondered if that was it. I wonder what the other teachers think of Harry Stark? I'm reasonably certain the Greasy Git wasn't too happy about the whole thing. XD
- Thor was good. Very mild, though, he left the building standing. No broken doors, no holes in the walls or floor.
Sigh. So disappointing....
The Maiden Amelia was worth a "whaaa?".
Author's response- Point of reference. Thor was around pointing and laughing at Merlin. From his perspective, Amelia is just a kid.
- Oh... ouch XO Dumbledore couldn't have chosen a worst tactic if he tried. The problem is that he is still assuming that he is dealing with the downtrodden, nearly-broken Harry who has been mistreated by the Dursleys for years. He is unable to adapt to the Harry who has had a nurturing environment, friends who are every bit as talented as he and training from some of the most brilliant Muggle, Meta and Magical instructors on Earth and beyond.
In any case, Dumbledore has spent a lot of political capital and has alienated a lot of allies (including his senior staff) over this. What is more, all the students, light- dark- and neutral-aligned alike will not distrust him and question his motives for any action.
What Dumbledore needs now is a dose of humility. He needs to approach Tony, and his old friend Steve, and let them know why he needs Harry. Their help could yet be invaluable. However, I fear he is too arrogant to be able to admit that he misjudged what needed to be done 'for the greater good'.
I loved the Thor cameo, BTW. I wonder how Aemelia knows of the Avengers. Perhaps a much younger Auror Aemelia Bones may have fought alongside them in the 60s when the team was first getting together?
BenRG's Rating: 8/10
Author's response- the views of the staff will be shown at the end of term staff meeting.
- As much the idea of Amelia having donned spandex and gone out doing the derring do along side the early Avengers tickles me, it doesn't help to dwell on the time line of the group. That leads to noticing things like they should pretty much all be in their 60s and 70s now...
- Amelia knows of the Avengers due to her contacts with Muggle Law Enforcement. Not as much fun, but somewhat more realistic (and I don't have to think up a good code name.)
(#) red_jacobson 2008-04-08 08:33:15 AMI don't know, I think that there's a perfectly good Avengers Code Name for Amelia, back when she was younger, she did some undercover work in the Muggle world, using the name Mrs Peel GRIN
Author's responseDamn you Red!
Don't do that to me, I've got way too much on my plate for you to be giving me ideas like that. You bastard!
Amelia... She kicks so high... Do you suppose those leather jumpsuits were dragon hide?
CRAP CRAP CRAP!
(#) supremelord170 2008-04-08 09:06:38 AMExcellent chapter. Can't wait for the next.
I'd was sort of expecting an omake of Wizengamot not believing Amelia and it cutting to a passage in a textbook remarking on how that moment was one of the biggest fuck-up moments in the history of the wizarding world.
Author's response- write it up, I'll use it.
(#) whatareyouevensaying 2008-04-08 09:51:48 AMYour Thor accent could use some work, but I really liked the chapter.
I suppose I don't have much of a right to argue this point, since I don't know much more than the average person about comics, but while I don't think you've necessarily overpowered the Marvel heroes, I think you've grossly underpowered Dumbledore. Granted, with his hammer under the man's chin, I'd probably pick Thor, but Dumbledore is an amazing duelist, and I think he could hold his own against him, and rip through most Marvel heroes.
Looking forward to more.
Author's response- Imagine if you will, the finest swordman in all of France, facing off against a man in a powered suit of armor and a chain gun... How much would his amazing abilities save him?
- Thor is a god (small 'g' intentional, he recognizes higher powers) The AK would annoy him. Dumbles could dance around all he wants but he couldn't hurt Thor on the best day of his life. Thor has gone toe to toe with beings wielding the Power Cosmic, now wand waving will hurt him.
- Other Heroes? Stark knows about magic, and has had access to Agatha Harkness... Is his armor AK proof? I haven't decided yet. Lots of Marvel heroes have faced off against Wand Wizards, and to quote Spiderman, "you can't zap what you can't hit..."
- In place battles/duels fights between most wizards and most heroes would give the advantage to the wizards. Of course only a fool fights in ways advantageous to the other guy. Given the weapons available to the Heroes, the Wizards are toast, if it comes to a knock down drag out fight.
- it has been suggested that Wizards shields can stop a bullet. Can they stop all the bullets in the world coming from a chain gun? Can any Wizard, even Tommy or Dumbles keep said shield up all the time?
- Hey, now, forgetting canon again, are we???
Since Amelia IS A WITCH, being 60 0r 70 at present is just getting into early middle age, isn't it? She must be doing a heck of a job top be as highly placed as she is if she is ONLY 60 or 70.
On the Thor-esse, I think a could pf minor tweeks are needed, especially use of thy (possessive) then the context calls for Thee (You).
Even in the early 1990's I think American kids were being conditioned to use the term "Challenged" instead of "Slow" which had previously replaced "Retarded". If Harry was actually going for insult, he probably should have used the "Are they retarded?"
Other than that and comments previously made by others which I second, a wonderful Chapter indeed.
Author's response- Of course I'm forgetting canon. I'm writing a fanfiction which is purposefully NOT canon.
- The Best there is at what she does...
- Hey, I wrote that at three am, be glad he wasn't speaking spanglish.
- Slow was an insult in the 60s, th '70s, the '80s and the '90s both in the US and the UK. Harry wasn't calling them retarded, he was telling them they were stupid.
- Thanks for the review...