Categories > Anime/Manga > Pokemon > Heavy Rain

Chapter 1

by Bliksem 2 reviews

Batoy, a young boy of 15, flees the scene of a crime with his partner with a valuable crystal in tow.

Category: Pokemon - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Fantasy - Characters: Other - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2006-02-21 - Updated: 2006-02-21 - 2779 words

1Original
Disclaimer: I do not own Pokemon. Pokemon was created by Satoshi Tajiri and is the legal property of Nintendo. All characters are copyright of the author. Character Gidan Nietzsche is not meant, in anyways, to defame philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche. All areas and locations are based off actual places in Hokkaido. Please do not claim this story, or any of the chapters comprising it, as your own. Please feel free to email the author questions, comments, and/or criticisms or simply post a review.

~~~*~~~
Chapter One

"NO! STOP THIEF!!"

Just the sheer volume and distress in that very shout sent blistering cold shivers through Batoy Guilderos' spine. Even if the shout hadn't been meant for him, the gruff-voiced woman's call would have still urged him to take flight. But he was the target of that shout, and the young teen suddenly broke into a run. He never did like the word `thief'; it was such a cold hard word and not one befitting a kid like himself. Even then, Batoy didn't think what he was doing was completely wrong. It wasn't like he was one of those common crooks who broke into homes to steal the possessions of innocent families. No, he only borrowed particular items that those ahead of him thought important as to fulfill the plans of his Leader. After all, if it bettered the world, the ends justified the means.

Sneakers pounding against the wet cement, Batoy took turn after turn, wrapping around building after run-down brick building, and eventually fled into the alleys, where he hunkered down behind one of this town's many dumpsters. Terra City-the beautiful shrine of earth as the saying went-the place was a dump. Cold grey buildings, large and imposing, jutted high into the dreary evening sky. Few windows of high-rising apartments and offices buildings shown, their dim light the only sign of life. Nobody walked the streets, not in weather like this. The teen shivered as the rain, which had only been sprinkling a little while ago, turned into a heavy deluge. He was wet and cold, and the one thing keeping him from total misery was the fact that he'd succeeded without getting caught this time.

Batoy pulled the hood of his dark-red sweater over his head as he pulled his knees towards his chest. He could hear the sound of boots splashing through the rain puddles and hurried voices calling out to each other. He dared not move, at least not for a few hours or until the rain let up. He didn't dare until he was sure that all was clear. The dumpster offered security from sight, but not from the wind and rain. It wouldn't have mattered much; he was already soaked to the bone, his carrot-colored hair plastered against his forehead. A dry spot lay to his right that he noticed, but even though he was rather small for a fifteen year old, he was still too large to fit there. But there was something that could. Something he needed to see.

Reaching into the pocket of his dark-gray cargo pants, he pulled out a single small red and white sphere and pressed the white button at its center. The sphere grew to be about the size of his palm and opened. In a blue-white flash, covered by the dumpster, a relatively small yellow four-legged fox-like animal appeared. Its fur clumped together, forming several small spines. It looked at Batoy and grinned. ~Jolteon!~ it cried out, its nose wrinkling from the pungent smell of trash.

"Shhh! They're still looking for us, Ollie!" Batoy scolded quietly, his voice full anxiety. The Jolteon immediately silenced and looked at the wet boy curiously. Minutes passed and the two looked at each other in total silence, but the sound of voices and boots never came back. Batoy smiled and rubbed the Jolteon's head, his hand gliding past the spines without harm. The Jolteon gave a purr and returned the smile. "So, you got it?"

The Jolteon nodded slowly and sat on its hunches. It nosed around its chest, revealing a small red-blue-and-purple crystal strung around its neck. Batoy smiled again. "Awesome! I knew you could do it! There isn't anything faster than you!" The Jolteon blushed from the not-too-untrue praise, and its fur crackled softly with the buzz of electricity. Batoy reached around the Jolteon's neck and unstrung the crystal, the snap of the electricity not fazing him at all. Why the researchers had sought to make a crystal like this into a necklace, he didn't know, but he was glad that they did. He tied the crystal around his own neck and tucked it into his hooded sweater, barely able to control the grin that covered his face. The exchange done, all the two could do now was wait until either the rain slackened or nightfall.

Nightfall came first, unfortunately, and the rain had not ceased to fall. Batoy looked up to watch the droplets fall from the dark clouded sky and he grimaced as exhaustion tried to claim him. Though he wanted to sleep, the fetid smell of the dumpster combined with the fear of being caught kept him alert. His body started to quiver. He couldn't sleep until he was some distance away from Terra. He looked down at the Jolteon, which had long since curled up beside him. It seemed to be asleep, but its long ears were erect, listening for the sound of footsteps. "Hey, Ollie..." Batoy whispered, and the Jolteon rose, as if it had not been asleep at all. "I guess it's time we try to beat it."

Groaning from stiffened joints and an aching back, Batoy slowly stood and half-walked half-stumbled towards the corner of the wall and peeked out. He couldn't go around with his hood raised; people would see the small brown pointed `ears' that had been sewn into his sweatshirt. Of course, it was either that or a uniform, and he vastly preferred to remain as ambiguous as possible. So he pulled that down, exposing his messy bright orange hair to the pouring rain. There was no one on the street that he could see so Batoy and his Jolteon padded out on to the sidewalk and broke into a run.

Of course, just seeing anyone out in this weather was abnormal, and without a doubt, he was spotted. A female officer, clothed in standard-issue raingear, pulled beside of him on a motorcycle, and Batoy and the Jolteon skidded to a halt, the former's hand subconsciously covering his treasure. Mentally, Batoy cursed his luck. The Jolteon whimpered and hid itself behind his partner. "Uh... h-hello, O-Officer..." Batoy berated himself. He couldn't get the nervous stammer out of his voice.

"What are you doing out here at this time? A boy like you should be in bed, warm, dry and asleep!" Her voice was solid; he could tell just by that the Officer was suspicious of something. Batoy hesitated to answer; with the rain falling so hard, he couldn't think. The Jolteon gave a discomforting whine and grew silent again. Batoy gulped. "After all, there are criminals about. There was a robbery attempt not too long ago. You wouldn't happen to know anything about it, would you?"

"N-No, ma'am," Batoy stammered out. "I was j-just heading out. Ya... ya see, I'm just a trainer... I... uh... I couldn't find the Pokemon Center, and... and I..." The intensity of the rain increased and the drone became unbearable. The sound of the falling drops filled his ears to the point that he couldn't even hear himself talk. He was losing it and he stopped. Why again? Why did this always happen? Why did he always feel that peculiar lump in his throat when he dealt with officers alone? He couldn't afford to be getting so nervous. This was probably his last chance.

"I'll give you a ride to the Center. You and your Jolteon hop on. Kids like you can catch a cold if you stay in the rain too long. Or you could just simply hand back what you stole and we'll have a ride to the station. That would be the logical choice, wouldn't it?" That broke it, and not for the first time Batoy panicked. He suddenly broke into a run straight for the city boundaries. However, in no point in history has any person outrun a motorcycle, and the Officer wasn't shocked long enough to give him so much as a head start. She pulled in front of him. "Listen kid, don't pull that kind of crap with me, or you'll end up facing more time behind bars."

"O-Ollie! Thunder Wave!" Attacking an officer, mistake number one of a rookie thief, and one he made far too often. Batoy cursed himself again moments after he'd yelled the command, but it was too late now. The Jolteon had already leaped in front of him and was crackling with a blue electric energy. He watched in horror and regret as waves of miniature bolts of blue lightning surged around the officer and her motorcycle, disabling the former and shorting the latter. She collapsed with a cry, and without hesitation, Batoy took off, followed shortly by the Jolteon. About 15 blocks stood between him and the edge of the town, and he ran full speed the whole way. The rain did not slacken.

Some fifty or so feet lay between the edge of the town and a massive forest. He crossed that when he suddenly heard the sound of barking. Poochyena, Mightyena, and Growlithe, by the sounds. Police dogs. Had the woman recovered that quickly? No, they'd figured out what he'd stolen. Batoy cast a quick glance towards his partner. The Jolteon, already timid by nature, was upset and fright streaked across his face. There was a pang in Batoy's stomach, guilt from putting the Jolteon through this. "J-Just a little further, Ollie... We... we'll lose `em soon."

If only he could believe that. The branches and brush were getting thicker, and the barks were growing louder. They were being forced upwind where their scent could be more easily tracked. The pounding rain wasn't making it any easier. "Just a little farther..." Batoy whispered to himself through gasping breaths. The barking grew ever closer.

And then there it was. His secret base within a large tree. He'd made it two days ago. He scurried inside, down a hollow next to the base of the tree, and he covered it up after the Jolteon had slipped inside. It was dreadfully dark and damp, but he dared not move from his spot. The barking grew louder and then stopped. Footsteps. But their pursuers found nothing. "We lost him. Better go back. Storm's gonna get worse later on. We'll try again in the morning. He won't get too far." And then there was silence.

Neither Batoy nor the Jolteon moved for the next five minutes. They could still be waiting, trying to draw him out, or perhaps they were listening for a sound. The two gave them no such chance. Finally, the Jolteon gave a low but happy-sounding bark and Batoy relaxed. The Jolteon's ears couldn't pick up a trace. Moving from his position, Batoy felt his way for a light. It took a few moments, but he finally found the switch and the secret base was illuminated with a dim glow of portable fluorescent lights, bright enough to see where he was going and perhaps even read if he were ever so inclined.

The secret base wasn't much to look at. Functional, it only had an empty bookcase, a table, a chair, and a bed, along with a small laptop close to the entrance. Imprinted on the cover of the laptop was a small flame-like emblem. There was also a dresser for what little clothes he could take with him and an oh-so-small personal refrigerator attached to a tiny electric generator. It was to the dresser which he walked to, after kicking off his soaked sneakers. The Jolteon leaped on to the bed and instantly collapsed into a deep sleep. Batoy pulled off his soaked sweatshirt, cargo pants and socks, leaving him in only wet undergarments. There was no bathroom, but he was comfortable with his Jolteon there. He changed even those, and was soon covered in warm pajamas. His wet clothes were messily discarded into a corner without care. He walked over towards the bed and collapsed beside his partner, dead to the intensifying storm outside.

It wasn't until the middle of the next day that Batoy finally woke up. Splayed out across the bed, he groaned as he pulled himself up. His body was sore, and his stomach ached from hunger. The hunger he could deal with, having long been accustomed to that, but he was so sore that even standing was a trial. There was a crick in his neck, and he winced and whimpered as he padded over towards the dresser. He had one red hooded sweatshirt left, along with a pair of dark blue navy cargo pants, baggier than the ones he wore the previous day. He sighed as he slowly undressed and redressed and headed for the little refrigerator. Opening it up, he found a few cans of store-bought Poke Chow and two cans of tiny sausages. He sighed regretfully as he pulled all the cans out. They were just about out of food.

"Ugh... my neck..." he groaned again as he trotted over to his pile of still damp clothes and pulled out five more red and white Pokeballs, stuffing all but two into his pocket. "Lesse... Flip, Meto. C'mon out, guys." With a flash, two bursts of light appeared, resulting in two more Pokemon that looked similar to the Jolteon. There was a dark Umbreon, mane-less with yellow circles around its ears and tail and on its legs, and another much smaller than the Umbreon, only about a foot tall. It was off-white but its mane was like snow; a shiny Eevee.

Batoy collapsed on the bed carrying the cans. Even after his sleep, he was exhausted. The Jolteon still hadn't awakened. The other two Pokemon seemed tired too, even though they hadn't been used the other day. Batoy stared at each of them, regret filling him again. "Hey, guys... just a little more, okay? I know pushing you guys hard, but we've almost done it. We're almost there and then you guys can have a good rest, alright? Once we deliver this little thing, we can kick back and relax. Just stick to it a little more."

The Umbreon howled, its rings glowing slightly. Batoy smiled and began to open the cans of Poke Chow, completely oblivious to the tired and irritated scowl plastered on the smaller Eevee's face. Five cans left, six Pokemon in all. He had to start rationing. Batoy patted the sleeping Jolteon on the head, waking it gently. "Hey, lunch time, Ollie." The Jolteon whined, but crawled up and began nibbling out of the open can. He opened the sausage cans and began to nibble on the sausages, trying to ignore exactly how hungry he really was. The sausages disappeared quickly.

But it wasn't safe anymore. Now that the police knew approximately where he was, he couldn't stay for much longer. They had to keep moving. Batoy sighed and stood up before walking over to the computer. The Pokemon continued eating except for the Umbreon, who'd already finished. It padded up next to Batoy and looked at it. ~Reeeooonn?~

Batoy looked down and smiled at the dark Pokemon. "Flip? What's up?" The Umbreon purred as the boy slowly bent down to scratch it between its ears. The Umbreon yipped thankfully. He sighed as he went back to the laptop and entered in a few commands, bringing up a prompt. [Empty Base?] He sighed and clicked yes and suddenly, everything from the refrigerator to the bed to his wet clothes disappeared instantly. Even the laptop faded away. The base was completely empty with the exception of the Pokemon, who were looking around curiously, confused at the sudden disappearance. The Umbreon ran over to Batoy. ~Breon? Eon breon!~

The boy smiled sadly and bent down, patting the anxious dark-type Pokemon. "I'm sorry, Flip, but we gotta move. If we don't, we'll get caught. I dunno what the police'll do to ya if they catch ya. Or me.... Understand?" The Umbreon nodded slowly, obviously not thrilled about the circumstance. But it couldn't be helped. Batoy sighed and motioned for the three Pokemon to follow him. He left the secret base, as empty and secret as he'd found it, the three foxes following closely behind.
Sign up to rate and review this story