Categories > Cartoons > Biker Mice from Mars > Worlds Apart

Family Chats

by evilcordy 0 reviews

Kate talks to her sire and teases Vinnie.

Category: Biker Mice from Mars - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Crossover, Humor, Romance - Warnings: [!] [?] - Published: 2006-02-23 - Updated: 2006-02-23 - 1540 words

0Unrated
Kate smiled slightly as she answered her cell phone, grinning at Modo's approving nod of Bon Jovi's Have A Nice Day for the ring tone. "Hello, Draco. What evil plan are you plotting now?"

"And what makes you think I'm plotting something?" Draco asked. Impossibility aside, Kate could hear his smirk.

"Experience," the seven hundred thirty seven year old vampire said dryly, sounding very much like the older of her sire's two mates. "What's up?"

"Just checking in since you didn't make it up to Washington to annoy Antonio," he said softly. "We do still worry, you know."

Kate's smile widened. All the affection and attention she'd never gotten from her human father she had received a thousand times over from Draco, Harry and even Severus.

"So why aren't you in Washington annoying Tony and Gibbs?" Draco continued when his childe remained silent.

"There was a small problem with my motorcycle," Kate explained.

"What sort of problem?"

Kate grinned when Modo wandered into the kitchen in search of lunch and rootbeer. "It blew up."

"Blew up? How did it blow up?" Draco demanded.

"Things tend to do that when hit by small rockets," Kate said absently as her attention was diverted by Modo bending over to reach into the bottom of the refrigerator. "But I'm alright and there's a mechanic who can fix it."

Draco was silent for a moment as Kate let her eyes follow the almost hypnotic sway of Modo's tail. She yanked the phone out to arms length when her sire started to yell. "WHAT THE BLOODY HELL WERE YOU DOING NEAR ROCKET FIRE?"

Kate grimaced. Modo looked at her with a confused expression on his mouse like features. With ears that size she should have figured he'd be able to hear Draco yelling.

"Over protective parental figure," Kate explained to him. "Harry and Severus aren't quite as bad."

"Those your brothers, Kate-ma'am?" Modo asked as the young sounding voice continued to bellow over the small phone's speaker.

She shook her head. "They're Draco's mates. He ... Well, Draco took me in when I needed some place to go. I'd lost everything and he gave me an entirely new life." She lifted the phone to her ear when it sounded as if her sire was done yelling.

Modo politely turned away to begin putting his lunch together.

"Feel better, Drake?"

"Come back to England right now," he ordered.

"Mmmmm. No," Kate said firmly. She was over seven hundred years old, that was too old for her sire to still be giving her orders. Besides, "Remember that thing I've been looking for? I think I may have found it here."

"Your mate? Are you sure?"

"No, but don't you think I should stick around and find out?" Kate asked quietly as her gaze was irresistibly drawn back to the grey furred Martian and the play of muscles across his shoulders as he fixed a sandwich. "Anyway, the mechanic, Charlie Davidson said I could stay with her until my bike is finished since it's going to take a while. Especially with the improvements we've been discussing."

"Is she ..."

"That would be easier than things ever are, Drake," Kate chuckled. "I can't explain right now, but if I'm right and I have found what I've been looking for I might be able too soon."

"I don't like how that sounds," Draco grumbled.

Kate smirked. "You'll get over it."

"Alright, alright. Since you're going to be that way I'll leave you alone about it," Draco chuckled. "Call me later. At least to update me on your bike's condition."

"I will," Kate promised before they both said their farewells and hung up.

Modo sat across the table from her and slid over a can of rootbeer and a second sandwich. "You ought to eat, Kate-ma'am."

"Thanks, Modo," she said as she popped open the can of soda. "So what exactly are three Martian Mice doing in Chicago?"

"Well, originally we crash landed after getting shot down by a Plutarkian patrol ship," Modo said. He paused to bite, chew and swallow before continuing. "They're a bunch of aliens that go from planet to planet buying up then outright stealing resources. Land, water, minerals, plants, everything. They did it to Mars." He paused to eat again and eyed Kate until she took a bite of her own sandwich. "Throttle, Vinnie and me are keeping one here in Chi-Town under control, and dealing with the one in Detroit when he gets too big for his pint sized britches. Fella down in New Orleans doesn't seem to be having much luck, even before Hurricane Katrina hit."

Kate nodded and swallowed. "That makes sense. I know some of the people who control a lot of the property in and around there. No one is going to take it from them without paying the price in blood and pain."

"Makes sense," the grey furred Martian said with a nod. "There's one out in Nevada, round Vegas. He's not doing much in the way of stealing resources ... but we keep an ear out for him."

"He probably wouldn't have any more luck than the guy in New Orleans," Kate said shaking her head. "Some of the people from New Orleans have interests in Las Vegas, too. Actually, I wouldn't expect them to have much luck in North or South America at all. Too many people behind the scenes with more control over things like that then anyone really knows. And trying to pull that in Miami would be suicidal now that the Twins have claimed it as their home base."

"Twins?"

"Two very, very scary women." Kate grinned. "Even Draco is polite to them and tries to stay out of arms reach. And he's made an art form out of infuriating people."

"Huh. We don't get a lot of twins on Mars," Modo said quietly.

Kate shrugged. "They're not that common among my people either."

Modo blinked. "But aren't you ...uh ..."

"Human? No, but I used to be," Kate said with a grin. She stood up, kissed him lightly on the cheek then left the kitchen singing something about ... being cruel to be kind?

**

"Hey, Charlie-girl! The fuzzy love of your life is here, Charlene!" Vinnie hollered from the garage's work space.

Charlie's voice rang out from upstairs, loaded with affection and amusement. "I'll be down in five!"

"So where do nice young Martians take human girls on dates these days?" Kate asked, half teasing and half honestly curious.

"Places we won't really get noticed," Vinnie admitted. "Movies, moonlit picnics, Chef Andy's place. Some times Andy'll order stuff for us from other places for our picnics."

"Sounds pretty good to me," Kate sighed with a smile that edged on wistful.

"You planning on asking Throttle out or something?" Vinnie teased.

Kate blinked. "Throttle? Doesn't he have a girlfriend? Carbon or something like that?"

"Carbine, and it's their bi-monthly break up," the white furred Martian mouse informed her helpfully. "Personally, I think you'd be good for him."

Kate smiled slightly and shook her head. "Thanks, but Throttle and I are both too ... intense to make a good couple."

"Ah, come on, you two would be great together."

"Vinnie," sighed Kate, "I'm not interested in Throttle. He's cute, but he isn't my type."

"So what is your type?" Charlie asked as she joined them, struggling to fasten her necklace.

"Tall, dark and easy going," Kate said cheerfully. "Somebody who makes me feel fragile and protected when he holds me, but knows when to let me go and rip people's heads off."

Vinnie blinked from where he'd moved behind Charlie, peering over her shoulder at the blonde, his tail holding Charlie's dark auburn hair out of the way as he fixed her necklace for her. "Uh ... Kate, sweetheart, that sounds like Modo."

"Yes, it does," Kate agreed as she stood up and all but floated up the back stairs.

"She's crushing on Modo?" Vinnie squeaked.

"Actually .... I could see them as a couple," Charlie said after she was done gawking after her new friend. "She needs and wants to feel like a lady, and Modo would sure treat her like one."

Vinnie shook his head. "That girl is heading down a dead end at full speed with no breaks."

"You think Modo doesn't like her?" Charlie asked with a small frown. She would have turned to aim that formidable expression at her alien boyfriend, but he'd slipped his arms and tail around her waist and she was rarely in a hurry to remove them.

"He likes her," Vinnie said softly. He sighed and rested his cheek against her hair. "But the big grey guy ain't over losing his family. We don't think he's ever really going to be. Least not enough to let another lady into his heart."

"Well, they're both grown-ups. I'm sure they'll figure it out for themselves," said Charlie. "So, where are you taking me tonight, mouse of mine?"

Vinnie grinned at her. "Not for hotdogs."

Upstairs Kate shook her head at Charlie's giggling and settled in to watch a movie. The Comedy Channel was showing Monty Python and the Search for the Holy Grail as part of a weekend movie marathon. And it was one of her favorite movies.
Sign up to rate and review this story