Categories > Movies > Pirates of the Caribbean > Of Sinners and Saints

Chapter 7

by serafina20 0 reviews

With James still at sea, Jack steps in to help with Gavin.

Category: Pirates of the Caribbean - Rating: R - Genres: Romance - Characters: Elizabeth,Jack,Will - Warnings: [!!] [?] - Published: 2008-08-15 - Updated: 2008-08-16 - 2597 words

0Unrated
"And then they made me their chief," Jack said.

Gavin squealed loudly. Kicked his feet, his chubby little hands reaching out to grab at Jack's hair.

Elizabeth laughed when the pirate grimaced. "How many times do we have to tell you not to hang over him like that?" she asked. She shook her head, setting the stone she was using to sharpen the sword on the table. Picked up a cloth and began polishing.

"One more time, apparently." Jack gave up the struggle to free his hair and instead picked the child up. One hand went to his back and he lightly danced Gavin around the room. "We devils and liars and really bad eggs," he sang as he danced.

Elizabeth snorted. "I cannot tell you how happy I am James will be back before Gavin learns to talk. I don't want him returning to have his son greet him with, 'drink up, me hearties, yo ho!'" Then, she frowned and cocked her head, considering. "Of course, that he could conceivably blame on me. Gavin's first words being Papa he could not."

Jack raised an eyebrow. "And the dear Commodore is not the lad's Papa?"

"No. James is most definitely his father. And would be called as such." She sighed. Shook her head. "I'd can't imagine what he'd say if he knew I allowed you anywhere near his child. He'd never speak to me again."

The pirate gave her a sly, secretive smile. "You may be surprised, luv."

"Would I now?" She dropped the cloth and crossed the room to him. "Give."

"Ah, now don't let a sudden attack of conscious ruin me fun. We was dancin'."

"Go dance with Will." She took the baby from him and kissed the auburn-furred head. "He's been itching to practice swords with someone besides me. He'd love a chance to go head to head with you again."

Jack rolled his eyes. "Oh, yes. Just traipse off to get meself scratched and sweaty and humiliated."

"You? Humiliated? The great Captain Jack Sparrow? Never."

Gavin stiffened in her arms. Began to cry querulously.

Elizabeth sighed. Bounced him a few times. "Why do you cry every time I hold you, Gavin? It's not fair." She bounced him again and kissed him.

He cried harder.

"He's hungry," Jack said.

"How do you know?"

Jack gave her something that, on any other person, might be considered an innocent look. "That's his hungry cry."

A wave of frustration overcame Elizabeth. She didn't know if she wanted to throw something at Jack or simply run him threw. "What are you doing here anyway?" she snapped. "Ten years you chase after the Pearl, and now that you've got her, you're spending all your time playing nursemaid to the Commodore's son?"

"Like I told you before. The Pearl's got repairs. Gibbs is taking care of that."

"And you trust your crew not to run off again?"

He cocked his head. "This one? Mostly. But don't worry, luv; I'm leaving in a few hours. Just dropped in to see the little 'un and me friends. Bit of catching up."

"Except you were just here two months ago." She bounced Gavin a few more times, wondering where Mariah was. "You shouldn't risk it. Getting caught. Will and I won't always be around to save you from the noose, you know."

A strange, flittering smile crossed his face. "Don't worry your pretty head about it, luv. Got me own methods of avoiding the noose, I do."

"Oh, do you? And just what is that, if I may ask?"

He smiled again, eyes dark and unreadable.

Mariah entered the room. Her hair was mussed and eyes half-lidded and heavy. "I'm sorry, Mrs. Turner. I didn't hear him cry." She took Gavin and went to sit.

"It's quite all right, Mariah. You're exhausted, I understand that. I only wish there was something I could do."

"You watched him while I slept. You're a friend. That's enough."

"Then do I have to remind you again that you're free to call me Elizabeth?" She sat next to Mariah and tweaked Gavin's leg as he nursed hungrily.

"I'm sorry, Elizabeth. Of course." She looked from her to Jack. "Did I miss anything interesting?"

"I was just telling Gavin a story," Jack said.

"And then Jack informed me that he had a method of avoiding being hanged that didn't include him avoiding Port Royal at all cost."

"Oh, does he now?" Mariah looked at him, smiling. "And just what is that plan?"

"Nothing for you to be concerned about, darling." He pressed his palms together and bowed.

"I rather hope not." She inhaled sharply and readjusted Gavin on her breast. "I hate when he does that."

"Does what?" Elizabeth asked.

"Pulls too hard. I nervously awaiting the day his teeth break through."

"As you two women are seeming to be discussing womanly issues, I'm going to take a step out and talk to dear William." He pirouetted and traipsed to the door. On arriving, he turned and said, "I'll be leaving tonight, Lizzie love. Don't worry your pretty head at my ship or my neck."

When he was gone, Elizabeth let her head fall back against the cushioned back. Locks of hair falling out from her braid and across her face.

"What's wrong?" Mariah asked.

"Nothing." Then she reached out and rubbed Gavin's foot with her fingertips. "Jack's so good with him, you know? And Gavin adores him."

"Gavin adores you."

"No, Gavin tolerates me. I'm the one who holds him too tightly and squishes his arm. Who bounces him in the way that always makes him cry. That... I'm no good with him."

"Now that's not true," Mariah said. "You're good with him. You know what to do. But, sometimes, it takes time. Learning all the little things."

Elizabeth arched her eyebrow. "And a pirate knows better how to handle a baby better than I do, why?"

Mariah shrugged. "The ways of the world are many and strange. Some people seem to be born with the touch to handle babies. With others, it takes time. Besides, he's probably had experience."

"You mean... Jack has children?"

"Oh. Well, actually, I don't know." The idea seemed to surprise Mariah as much as it had Elizabeth. "I was thinking more, possibly, a sibling. Or, ah, members of his crew having children. But, yes, it is entirely possible that Jack has a child or two somewhere." She frowned, brow furrowing.

"How well do you know Jack?"

She shrugged. "Not very well. I began working in Port Royal, oh, about three years ago? Jack came to the tavern infrequently. Port Royal isn't really the safest place for him. But he's memorable. And draws people to him. Funny and mysterious."

"Good in bed?"

Mariah blushed and shot Elizabeth a sidelong glance. "Mrs. Tuner, I'm surprised at you."

Elizabeth giggled. "One does wonder. It's merely curiosity. I would never do anything about it. I have Will. And he's perfect."

"He very nearly is, isn't he?" She pulled Gavin, who was asleep, off her breast and covered herself back up. "Truth be told, I only knew him as a legend before. Even when he was my customer, there was no real knowing him. But after nearly a week in the same house..."

"Same house." Elizabeth sat up. "You mean, he's living with you?"

Mariah nodded and said, "Yes. I thought you realized. He's been helping with Gavin at night."

"At James's house. What about his cook? The butler?"

"The cook left the morning James did. She informed me she does not serve whores. And Mr. Travers has a lung infection. The doctor recommended he leave the house so as not to endanger the baby."

"So you're all alone? Why did you not say anything?"

"It's nothing. I have everything I need. Even before Jack came, I'm well able to take care of myself."

"But you should not have to. James left Mrs. Conway with you because you are a member of his household. You're not... and even if you are or were, he's paying her to do her job. She has no right." Elizabeth shook her head. "She'll simply have to be let go."

"Tis not your place," Mariah chided gently. "You are not the head of James's household."

"Who is when he is gone?"

Mariah shrugged. "I'm not sure."

Elizabeth sighed. "He won't mind if I take control to care for the two of you. I just... I feel a bit uncomfortable. I know wouldn't approve of Jack staying in his home. But, at the same time if he is of help to you, then I don't want to send him away. Unless both of you come to stay here."

"There isn't room."

"We have an extra room."

"One only. Jack and I...." Mariah laughed. "You think we're lovers."

"Aren't you?"

She shook her head. "No. He's been staying... in the guest room. I've been in mine. We're not..."

Elizabeth frowned. Tried to sort out what she was being told and failed to make sense of it. "Then why is he here? I mean, what is his interest?"

"You'll have to ask him. I'm afraid I couldn't say."

But Elizabeth could tell Mariah was lying. And she intended to find out the truth.
*

"The king and men stole the queen from her bed," Jack sang as he washed Gavin in the small tub on the floor. "And bound her in her bones. The seas be ours, and by the powers. Where we will roam."

Gavin shrieked and brought his hands splashing down into the water. It sprayed over Jack's face. He laughed and wiped it away. "That's right, me boy. We are kings of the sea. And on the sea is where we are free." He lifted Gavin out of the water and swung him, dripping and wet, overhead. "Yo ho. Haul together. Hoist the colors high! Heave ho..."

"Thieves and beggars," Mariah joined in, entering the room.

Jack turned and gave her a cock-eyed grin. "Never shall we die," he finished off.

Gavin squealed again. His feet kicked in the air, hands clapped together. He gave Jack a gummy smile, drool mingling with water as it slid down his face.

"You are determined to teach him every pirate shanty there is, aren't you?" Mariah picked up a towel from next to Gavin's bath. Carefully, she took the baby and began to dry him.

"I figure James'll take care of the rest of the sea songs. Who else is going to teach the boy proper if his father won't?"

"Oh, I'm sure James will love his baby son proclaiming he's a really bad egg."

"Never hurt Lizzie, none." He flashed gold again. "And he wanted to marry her, pirate songs and all."

"Very true. Although, in retrospect, it seems the pirate in her may have been more attractive than the lady."

Jack looked over from the cupboard he'd poked his nose into. "Aye, it does seem that, don't it? However, I get the feeling my dear commodore would prefer if the pirate in me were more content to something rather more law abiding."

"Well," Mariah said as she set Gavin on the table and began to dress him, "I'm sure it's because he worries about you."

"Doesn't want to have to face hanging me."

"Can you blame him?" She finished pulling Gavin's clothes on. Then, picking him up, she crossed the room to Jack and put her hand on his cheek. "Can you imagine a world without the great Captain Jack Sparrow?"

Jack shrugged and opened his arms as if to present himself. "I always assumed the world would end should such a tragedy occur."

"Of course. Jack, understand that, should you be caught, James would be... Careful!" she exclaimed when Jack plucked Gavin from her arms.

"Don't you go worrying about me being caught. No more should James worry." He trailed his fingers lightly over Gavin's face. "I am not a man to get caught willy nilly. I have my ship, I have a crew what will follow me to the ends of the earth. And I have more than enough reason to stay free, eh?" Dark, fathomless eyes looked up at hers, serious and deep. "James does his best to do what is right. Honorable. But here, he'll be torn. Do what's right by the law, he loses the freedom what I gives him. Do what's right by me, he loses his son. He'll chose Gavin, as he should. But he won't be able to live with it. Not easily. So, least I can do is not make him face that."

Mariah's heart pounded in her throat. She'd never see Jack so serious before. And while she'd known the pirate wasn't out to hurt or abuse James, she hadn't been sure if his heart was caught up, as she knew James's heart to be.

Now she had no doubt.

"That's quite good of you, Jack."

He smiled. A wicked, lopsided, nearly maniacal smile. "Aye, isn't it? Least I can do for the honor of buggering the man who commands the British Navy in the Caribbean."

"Jack." Mariah rolled her eyes. "You are horrible."

Gavin squirmed. Began to cry.

Jack sighed and passed him back over to Mariah. "Lucky lad," he grumbled as Mariah settled into a nearby chair to feed the baby.

She raised an eyebrow. "I beg your pardon?"

"They're just nice, is all," he elaborated, waving his hands vaguely at Mariah's breasts. "I'm admiring. Me mate's been gone a month and I've been staring at those for nearly as long. Boy's lucky."

"Well, if you want your turn, he'll be asleep in a few minutes," Mariah said with a sweet smile.

Jack flashed her a quick smile. "From what I heard, Lizzie thinks I've already 'ad a taste."

"You heard that."

"I hear everything, luv."

She stroked Gavin's soft fuzzed hair. "I couldn't tell her the truth. It's not mine to tell." She cocked her head. "Will you tell her?"

"No need. She'll either figure it out, or Jamie will tell her. I'll let him decide."

The clock on the ledge chimed. Jack glanced at his. His mouth twisted.

"What?"

"I need to get back to the Pearl. She's calling."

Mariah wanted to point out that it was merely a clock, but refrained. For all she knew, the Black Pearl was calling to Jack. He certainly had drifted off quite a number of times in the past few days, gazing out towards where his ship was docked in a hidden cove.

Jack glided across the room and knelt at Mariah's feet. "Gavin, you take good care of Mariah until your da gets back. And if you need me, just call. I'll come." He kissed Gavin's forehead. His little nose.

"Where do you go?"

He looked up, his hands caressing Gavin's pudgy arms. "Heard tell of a voodoo charm. When the wearer is in trouble and needs his protector, it calls to that protector. So, I'm off to Pelegosto see a sea witch."

"Is the charm for Gavin or James?"

"Both. You, too, if she still likes me enough to do the work." He kissed Gavin again, then rose and bussed Mariah on the mouth. "Take care of him."

"Take care of yourself."

Gold glinted and eyes twinkled. "That I cannot guarantee. But I can promise that, in one form or another, I will be back." He tugged on a lock of her hair, ran his fingertips over Gavin's head, and then climbed out the window, disappearing into the night.
Sign up to rate and review this story