Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Chosen One

Chapter 1

by omega13c 0 reviews

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Characters: Harry - Warnings: [!!!] - Published: 2008-08-26 - Updated: 2008-08-26 - 2517 words

4Original
Harry got up from off the ground. He knew something went wrong. Time turners don't explode like that. That, and he wasn't in his dorm room. He saw part of a newspaper, on the ground that must have been blowing in the wind. Wanting to see if he at least arrived on the date he wanted, he picked up the newspaper and looked at the date: 15 June 1988.

He couldn't go back any further because he no longer had a time turner. He doubted he could get his hands on another one. However, there was something he could do. He could catch that rat that framed his godfather Sirius Black so his godfather can be released from Azkaban. As he was thinking about his godfather, it dawned on him what a stupid thing he had done.

“Once again, I've rushed into something without thinking of the consequences...” he muttered to himself realizing he only had enough money to take the Knight Bus and maybe spend a couple nights at the Leaky Cauldron. He also didn't have the key for his vault. Without any money, he wouldn't be able to survive. He knew time travel was illegal and if he was caught, he could spend time in Azkaban... The thought of being near dementors wasn't pleasant for him.

He decided to head to Diagon Alley and visit a library he had seen there that Hermione said had records of all the wizard families. He didn't know any spells to alter his appearance, so if he was going to be stuck in the past, it might be best to see if there was some missing member of the Potter family he could impersonate. That way he could have access to the family vault at Gringott's.

After a wild ride on the Knight Bus, he went to the library on Diagon Alley and looked up his father's family. His father's family was one of the older wizard families according to the information he had found. It went back at least 800 years. The family branched out a few times but each of the branches died off or ran out of males to carry the family name. The family tree Harry was looking at in the book he found indicated the blood status of each member: black was pure blood, blue was half blood, and red was muggle born. He noticed that the main branch of the family had remained pure blood. The main branch of the family had remained pure blood. He looked at the bottom of the tree where it showed the last three generations of his family.

"(Click Here To See The Tree)":http://www.fedtrek.com/staff/omega13a/TheChosenOne/potterfamilytree.gif

Harry didn't know his father had an older brother named Christopher. According to the book, Christopher got into a fight with Harry's grandparents and ran away before Harry's father was born. He looked like a blued eyed version of Harry's father according to a picture in the book and was missing for many years until he turned up dead out side of London, apparently murdered by Death Eaters. Harry decided it would be best if he impersonated a teenage son that Christopher had that nobody knew about. He began working on a cover story for himself. He was Andrew Christopher Potter, born 31 July 1972. His father had left his muggle mother (Mary Crofton) after he was born and his mother died not too long after. He ended up living with his muggle aunt, uncle, and cousin in Australia who were not to deferent from the Dursleys. They died recently and he decided to come to England to see if his father's family had left him anything. With his cover story complete, he decided to head to Gringott's and hoped they would buy his story. He walked into Gringott's and walked up to the first available goblin teller he saw.

“Excuse me? My name is Andrew Potter and I would like to know if my father or grandparents left any money here that I'm entitled to?” Harry, or rather Andrew as he now choose to refer to himself, asked the goblin.

“Indeed...” The goblin replied rather unimpressed. “What is your father and grandparents names?”
“My father's name was Christopher Potter. My grandparents were William and Elisabeth Potter.” Andrew said nervously.

“Are they deceased then?” The goblin said.

“Yes.”

“What about your mother?” The golbin asked eying Andrew suspiciously. “You are not of age and if she is alive and was married to your father, then by inheritance right, all assets go to her unless your father and grandparents stated otherwise.”
“She died when I was really little.” Andrew replied.

“Very well. Fallow me please.” the goblin said.

The goblin pushed a button on his desk and then put a “Be Back Shortly” sign up on the counter in front of him. Andrew fallowed the goblin to an room that had a brass plaque on its door that read “Inheritance and Wills Office”. They walked into the room. An old globin was sitting behind desk reading some documents that were on his desk. Another goblin was standing in the room near the desk . There was also a box on the desk with jars in it sitting on the desk.
“Elder Riptide, this child, Andrew Potter, claims to be the heir of Christopher Potter.” the goblin teller said skeptically.

“I see.” the goblin elder replied with a mischievous smile.

“I doubt his claim. Its too suspicious.” the teller said.

“Well, he looks related to the Potters and I don't see any evidence of glamour. I suggest we take his word for it and see if the family ring will accept him.” Riptide said calmly as he reached into the box and pulled out a ring with a funny triangle symbol on it.

“If you are not the heir to the Potter family, this ring would make it quite clear.” Riptide said holding up the ring. “Since your family did not set up any trust funds for you, normally you would have to wait until you are of age and an adult, that is 17 years old in the Wizarding World, to be able to access your family's vaults. However, my information says you are almost 16 and are the heir to the Potter family. As the heir, at the age of 15, you have the option of claiming Headship of your family. If you choose to claim Headship and the ring accepts you, you be considered an adult and be able to lay claim to all your family possessions and titles. Do you wish to claim Headship?”

Andrew thought about it for a second. Well, he was the heir to the Potter family, even if he did lie who his parents were. He could find no reason the ring would reject him and he did need access to the vaults to survive.

“I do.” Andrew replied hoping the ring would except him.

Riptide put the ring on Andrew's ring finger. Nothing seemed to happen.

“The ring accepts him. Your concerns were unjustified Cagehook. Now, please leave us. Account manager Dragnut and I have a lot to discuss with Lord Potter.” Riptide said impatiently to the teller.

“Yes Elder.” the teller complained as he left.

“Now, Mr. Harry Potter... Care too explain how you aged so quickly?” Riptide asked with a creepy grin.

Andrew sat down in a chair as his heart sank. He'd been caught. But how?

“But I'm...” Andrew tried to say before being cut off.

“A terrible liar. Don't worry, your secret is safe with us. Gringott's values our clients' privacy and as an international organization run by The Goblin Nation, we don't have to tell the Ministry anything about our clients.” the goblin Andrew believed to be Dragnut said smirking.

“How do you know?” Andrew asked, relieved they won't tell anyone.

“When you entered the bank, an alert was sent out to the appropriate employees as to who you are and what you are here for. No matter what you claim, you still magically identify yourself as Harry Potter and so that is what our alert said. That, and you have that scar... But the only people here who know who you are in this room so no need to panic.” Riptide said shaking his head.

“I see.” Andrew resounded.

“Now, care to explain why you are older then you should be?” Riptide asked.

“Everything that goes on in the walls of Gringott's is strictly confidential unless our clients' give us permission to tell others. All employees of the bank must sign a binding magic contract promising to keep things secrete unless stated otherwise. If one of our employees decides to break that contract, they will die an extremely painful death.” Dragnut explained.
Andrew thought about it for a moment. 'If they can't tell anyone without my permission, then I guess it is safe for me to tell them.' he thought.

“I'm from future.” Andrew reluctantly explained.

“That can explain much.” Dragnut replied.

“Indeed. If you don't want to get caught in the future, I have some suggestions that might be helpful.” Riptide added.

That interested Andrew greatly. He did not want to be caught and be sent to Azkaban.
“What are you're suggestions?” Andrew asked.

“One, change your name magically. And two, a blood adoption ritual. We conveniently have what is needed to perform to do those things here in this office right now. There is a third thing that you can do at home. Put a sticky charm on your scar and put some Muggle makeup on it to hide it. The sticky charm will prevent the makeup from coming off.”

Andrew was shocked that nobody suggested he do that hide his scar. He could threw life without people staring at him or wanting his autograph because they see the scar. That would be a dream come true.

“Go head and do what you can now.” Andrew said.

“What do you want your full name to be? You need to have a middle name.” Riptide asked.

“Andrew Christopher Potter.”

“Very wise keeping with the tradition of the middle name of the first born son being the first name of the father...” Riptide said.

Riptide then took his hand and pointed it at Andrew and muttered “Harry James Potter muto nomen Andrew Christopher Potter”

Riptide then opened up a couple of jars in box and dipped the fingers of one of his hand in one jar and fingers of another in the other jar.

“Theses jars of blood are used to verify our clients identity when they enter vaults that are protected with blood magic. I brought them here since we do not have a jar of blood for you yet. After the blood adoption ritual is done, we will add a jar to identify you.” Dragnut explained.

“Hold your arms.” Riptide said, blood dripping from his fingers.

Andrew complied and Riptide wiped the blood on Andrews arms while muttering quietly some unintelligible words. When Riptide was finished, all the blood disappeared.

“Now you are biologically Christopher Potter's son. Your biological mother remains the same but the Ministry only cares who people's fathers and spouses are.” Riptide explained.
“Why do you keep blood of people are dead? Wouldn't it save space if you got rid of the jar when that person died?” Andrew asked.

“Once a jar is put in a box, it can't be removed. When we run out of room inside the box, we expand the inside to create more room. This box contains the blood of every member of the Potter family. Now to add a jar for you... Give me you hand. This won't hurt a bit.” Dragnut said after he put the lids back on the jars Riptide opened and opened the lid to an empty jar.
Andrew reluctantly gave Dragnut his left hand. Dragnut then put it inside the jar and somehow, someway the jar filled with blood.

“There. Now you have access to the family vault. The only non-members of your family that can enter are those that have your permission.” Dragnut said.

“Now that is done, lets get to business and discuss what your family has left you.” Riptide side grinning.

Andrew learned that his family was richer then he imagined. He knew that they had been rich by the amount of money that was in his trust vault but he had no idea that only the Black family was richer then they were. They also found out that his family owned a manor out in the country that was ready for him to move in. A portkey to the manor was in the family vault. He decided that he'll move into it that day. He figured a manor would be the best place for him to plan how he can get catch Pettigrew. He'll have a lot more privacy then at the Leaky Cauldron. He also learned that his family had some seats on the Wizengamont and that is why his Riptide called him Lord Potter earlier. The seats were currently unfilled and it was up to him to fill those seats. Andrew thought about how handy having those seats will be when Sirius is brought to trial.

They were about to wrap it up when Dragnut spoke up. “I almost forgot. Since you head of the Potter family now, I strongly recommend that you get custody of your younger self. Not doing so could be interpreted as disowning by the Ministry and Gringott's and he will be locked out of all the vaults, including his trust vault.”

“I almost forgot about that myself. I wonder why I didn't bring that up after the blood adoption ritual...” Riptide muttered.

“You already know this but when your parents died and your godfather sent to Azkaban, you were sent to go live with your Muggle aunt and uncle. What you may not know is that the Bones family tried to get custody of you. They had a good argument. Your father's mother was born into the Bones family. They withdrew their claim after Albus Dumbledore explained during a meeting of the Wizengamont that you needed to be with your mother's blood relatives to keep you safe from Death Eaters and their sympathizers. Gringott's studied the wards he set up around your aunt and uncle's house and are most impressive. The base ward is based on blood magic which is extremely powerful. I kept you as your mother's flesh and blood not only because her blood was the only one available but so the wards around your aunt and uncle's house can be transfered to were ever you choose to live.” Riptide said very nervously as if he was expecting something to happen.

Andrew didn't need any explaining for the goblin's behavior. Riptide obviously knew that there were Death Eaters that had managed to stay out of Azkaban and was afraid that telling him could cause the binding magical contract to be broken. Andrew didn't need to think about his next decision.

“What do I have to get custody of my younger self?”
Sign up to rate and review this story