Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Chosen One

Chapter 4

by omega13c 8 reviews

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres:  - Characters: Dumbledore,Harry - Published: 2008-08-26 - Updated: 2008-08-26 - 3131 words

5Original
Author NoteThe first part of this chapter is centered around the almost eight-year-old Harry. When he refers to his dad, he's refereeing to the Harry from the future (aka Andrew) who adopted him.Chapter 4 Harry woke up early the next morning shocked and confused that he wasn't in his cupboard. He was in a large bed, in a large bedroom. It defiantly wasn't a room at the Dursleys. It was almost as big as their house. He tried to figure out how he got to where he was. He then remembered, a relative had showed up and took him away from his aunt and uncle and adopted him. He now had a dad; a dad whom looked so much like him except his eyes were more of a bluish-green.

He had almost given up hope that someone to show up and give him a better life. He hated his aunt and uncle with a passion. They would almost never use his name. Instead they would say "Boy" or occasionally "Freak". They wouldn't give him anything while they spoiled his whale of a cousin. He didn't think that was fair but he couldn't do anything about it. If he tried to say something, they would give him extra chores or lock him up in his cupboard.

Now, that had changed. He now had found a better family. His new dad let him eat as much as he wanted and said they were going to go shopping today. His aunt never took him shopping. He always had to stay with Mrs. Figg who would bore him with stories about weird looking cats.

Harry got up and went downstairs, he smelled breakfast which was unusual. Normally, he was the one making breakfast. Now, there were elves that were making all the meals. Whatever they made, it smelled good. Harry slowly entered the dining room and found his new dad, sitting at the table eating scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, and toast. Harry sat down opposite of his dad and a plate suddenly appeared with a large amount of food, surprising Harry.

"Morning Harry. How did you sleep?" his dad asked.

Harry was never asked how he felt. It seem odd.

"Fine."

"Still getting used to magic?"

"Yes."

To Harry, magic didn't exist before yesterday. It seemed weird, even weirder that he could do magic.

"I'm surprised, last night you didn't ask any questions." his dad said.

Harry was never allowed to ask questions. He was told it was rude.

"My aunt and uncle don't want me asking questions." Harry replied a little sad while he ate some bacon.

"You don't have to worry about your aunt and uncle anymore. You can ask all the questions you want." his dad said, smiling.

"Did you know my parents?" Harry asked.

"Sadly no, I lived in Australia until yesterday. I did hear stories about your parents which I will tell you before we go shopping. I doubt your aunt and uncle told you these stories as they hated magic." his dad replied.

Harry was excited, he never heard anything about his parents besides that they were killed in a car crash.

"There was an evil wizard named Lord Voldemort It was dark times and people were afraid of him and his followers who called themselves Death Eaters. Your parents were some of those who fought against Voldemort and his Death Eaters. One night, when you were a baby, he broke into your parent's home and murdered them."

Harry was shocked, his aunt and uncle had not only hid the fact that he could do magic but lied how his parents had died. What else didn't they tell him he wondered.

"Now, this part may come as a bit of a shock to you. After Voldemort kill your parents, he tried to kill you but somehow, the spell he used didn't work. All he managed to do was give you that scar." his dad told him.

Harry had wondered how he got that strange scar on his forehead. He remembered briefly his dad had one too but it appeared to be gone now...

"Because of that, you became famous over night among witches and wizards. Before we go to Diagon Alley, we'll have to hide your scar. If we don't, you'll be mobbed. I doubt you will like that..." his dad finished.

Harry was confused. He was famous, how could he be?

"I think your mistaken dad. I can't be famous..." Harry replied.

"You are you grew up around Muggles. Those are people who can't do magic. With the exception of a few, all of them don't know about witches and wizards. Some of our kind don't like Muggles knowing about us. It's mostly because they are afraid that Muggles will always be asking us to use our powers to solve their problems. Others think Muggles are lower beings."

Harry was a little confused.

"You're confused. That's alright. when we go shopping we'll get you a book that will explain things a lot better." his dad said.

After they finished eating breakfast, his dad took him to the bathroom. His dad opened a cabinet and took out some makeup and rubbed some on Harry's forehead where his scar was. He then took out his wand pointed at his scar and muttered, "Inhaero".

"There now nobody should be able to figure out who you are. Now, let's go." his dad said smiling.

After a few moments, the two of them were riding on the Knight Bus. Harry found it to be one of the worst rides of his life. The bus made sudden stops and accelerations. To make things worse, there were no seat belts and his dad and he had to hold on to a bar to avoid flying around. Harry just hoped they wouldn't use this bus to go back.

After what seemed like forever, Harry and his dad found themselves outside of a place called The Leaky Cauldron. They walked in to find the place dark and smelled of food. There were several weirdly dressed people sitting at tables eating, drinking, and talking. Harry wondered why they would go into such a place, especially after they had already eaten.

"Why are we here?" Harry asked.

"The Leaky Cauldron is the entrance to Diagon Alley. Come on. I'll show you." his dad answered.

His dad lead them to the back of the restaurant or whatever The Leaky Cauldron was. They came to a door that lead straight to a brick wall. 'How odd...' Harry wondered while his dad tapped the bricks with his wand.

The bricks rearranged themselves to reveal a crowded alley full of people going from shop to shop. Harry was totally amazed.

Andrew knew just how odd this would be for Harry. Finding out he's been lied to all his life and that there's a whole new world full of magic that he never knew about. Hagrid did a much better job of explaining things to him when he was 11. Andrew was having problems explaining them to his younger self. Hopefully he could find some kind of book in Flourish & Blotts that was for young Muggle-born witches and wizards.

He then realized they should get an owl. He wasn't sure if there were any at the Potter Manor. Andrew knew he was going to need an owl once he had captured Pettigrew. He walked into Eeylops Owl Emporium. Much to his surprise, he found the younger Hedwig for sale. He couldn't pass up buying her.

"Dad, why did you buy an owl?" Harry asked Andrew.

"Witches and Wizards use owls to send letters to each other." Andrew explained. "My old owl died." Andrew lied.

"Now, let's see if we can find you some books." Andrew calmly said as they entered Flourish & Blotts.

The store apparently didn't change much in the time between the present and when Andrew first walked in. There were piles of books everywhere on shelves well as the aisles. Andrew didn't know where to look for a book to explain the Wizarding World to a Muggle-born.

Andrew walked up to the front counter. A man was standing on the other side doing some paperwork. The man looked up when Andrew approached.

"May I help you?" The man asked, trying his best to sound helpful.

"Yes, Umm... I need a book for my son here that will help me explain the Wizarding World to him better. He was living with some Muggle relatives after his parents died and they didn't tell him anything about magic and that he was a wizard." Andrew asked.

"I see. How old are you Harry?" the man asked.

"Seven." Harry replied a little shyly.

The man walked out from behind the counter.

"Are you two related?" the man asked Andrew.

"Cousins but I adopted him." Andrew answered.

"Assuming you came from a wizard family, why didn't you're parents take Harry in?"

"My parents died when I was little. I wasn't old enough to take Harry in until last year and even then I didn't know about Harry until a couple of days ago." Andrew answered as they followed the man. Andrew's blood boiled when they passed a stack of kids books called "Harry Potter: The-Boy-Who-Lived". Ron told him that was the only book Ginny would let her parents read to her. It made Andrew was mad that someone would write stories about him without asking. Andrew wondered if there was anything he could do to stop the writings about him that contain half-truths and lies. He was hoping Harry didn't see any of them. Fortunately Harry was more focused on keeping up then looking around and didn't see the books.

"I see I'm glad that you did, I think its big mistake not informing Muggle-raised children about magic until they are 11. They go to Hogwarts so unprepared and drive the wizard raised kids insane with questions... I say inform them as soon as they start showing the first signs of magic. That way they will have plenty of time to learn about our culture before starting Hogwarts. Ah Here it is!" the man said, picking up a book from a shelf and handing it to Andrew.

Andrew looked at its cover. "I'm a What!! A Muggle-Born's Guide to the Wizarding World" was written in big bold letters on its cover.

"It was written mostly for eleven-year-olds but Harry should be able to understand it with your help. Also, if you are as old as I think you are and you have decided to raise Harry by yourself, you probably should have this." the man said handing Andrew a book from the shelf above where he got the book for Harry.

Andrew looked at the book. "How to Be A Single Parent with Magic" Andrew agreed he need that book. He had no experience with kids. Any tips on what to do if Harry misbehaves would be helpful. If that ever happened, he didn't know how to punish Harry in a way that would remind him of his aunt and uncle.

After paying for the books, Andrew and Harry left Flourish & Blotts. The two briefly stopped at the Daily Prophet's office to drop off the article Andrew wrote. He paid them with rest of the money he had left in his money pouch to get them to publish it the next day on the front page of both the morning and evening editions. With, no money left, Andrew decided to head to Gringott's before continuing with shopping.

The next day

You-Know-Who Still Lives
"""On October 31, 1981, You-Know-Who was thought killed when he attempted the killing curse on Harry Potter. We would like to believe that he was dead, after all, he was the most dangerous dark wizard of all times with his disappearance, we all were lead to believe he was dead. However evidence has come to this writer's attention that says he is still alive. You-Know-Who claimed that he divulged deeply into the dark arts to find a way to cheat death. A look back to his appearance prior to his disappearance shows that he had found a way to cheat death."""
You-Know-How created horcruxes. A horcrux is something that holds a piece of a person's soul outside of their body. As long as piece of your soul exists outside of your body you can never die. If something were to happen to your body, you will survive as a black cloud that can wonder around and occasionally inhabit other's bodies. It is even possible to restore your own body threw a number of dark art rituals.
"""According to an expert who wishes to remain anonymous, You-Know-Who made at least 5. How did they come up with that number? "The more of them you make, the more snake like your physical appearance becomes." they replied."""
You-Know-Who was according to Professor Dumbledore was once a handsome young half-blood man that once was a perfect and later head boy at Hogwarts known as Tom Marvolo Riddle (A rearrangement of the letters in his name reveals his more feared name). After graduating, he started undergoing a transformation that resulted in him having his nose turned into two slits, his eyes turning red, the loss of all his hair, and his skin becoming extremely pale.
"""Other evidence of You-Know-Who is not dead is at the Ministry of Magic. There inside the Department of Mysteries is a room where prophecies are stored. In an aisle marked for unfulfilled prophecies there is one prophecy that says Harry Potter will kill You-Know-Who or be killed."""
I have heard this prophecy and it doesn't refer to Harry Potter by name, but gives a vague description of the Boy-Who-Lived. The first and second parts of the prophecy have been fulfilled. A boy was born at the end of July to parents who had three times defied You-Know-Who and You-Know-Who has left a mark on the boy. Only the part about the boy killing You-Know-Who hasn't been fulfilled according to the Department of Mysteries.
"""With this evidence that You-Know-Who is still alive, we have made a big mistake by believing You-Know-Who is dead. He will return, it may not be today or tomorrow. It could be next year, or ten years from now. There is no way to know but he will return and we need to be prepared.""" Albus Dumbledore set the morning paper on his desk after reading the article. 'Who wrote that article?' he wondered. It was good that somebody out there was making an attempt to convince the world that Voldemort was not dead. But who was it?

They obviously were somebody he knew. Somebody who knew something about the dark arts, heard the prophecy, and knows Voldemort's real name. While just about everyone in the Order of the Phoenix knew Voldemort's real name, he only told the prophecy to four people. Two of them are now dead and the other two are worse than dead. There is one person who knew enough he knew heard part of the prophecy and perhaps used their Pensive to find out the rest. That person was Severus Snape. Dumbledore decided he will have a chat with Severus later on.

In the mean time, people would probably ask him about young Harry. He decided to go check the status of the wards and Harry's vital signs for the first time since he dropped the boy off at the 4 Privet Drive.

He had a brilliant idea of how to keep Harry safe after Voldemort disappeared. Harry's mother died protecting the boy and in doing so, placed a powerful protection charm on him as long as Harry lived with a blood relative of his mothers for at least a few weeks a year, he was safe. Dumbledore decided to send Harry to live with his mother's sister. He knew Petunia Dursley was uncomfortable around magic, but in a letter, he pleaded with her maternal instinct to take Harry in as if Harry was her own child. Dumbledore couldn't imagine her not liking a child. Lily Potter said Petunia found kids irresistible and couldn't wait to have at least one of her own. If there were any problems, Harry could spend most of the time somewhere else. And, heaven forbid, if something happen to her there were alternatives to blood protection. (In other words, if Petunia was either dead or in jail),

Dumbledore walked up to the ward indicator he had on the book self. It was piece of parchment he put in a small picture frame and it was now showing that that the wards were completely down. They had been down since the 15th of June. But the alarm did not go off... Dumbledore did a quick diagnostic with his wand and found that the charm he put on the indicator that would make a sound alerting him of trouble had worn off years ago.

That wasn't anything to panic over. The Dursleys could have simply moved to another house. He could get Harry's exact location from the indicator that gave Harry's vital signs. Like the ward indicator, it was also a piece of charmed parchment paper. Only instead of showing lines and dates, it showed text. Or at least it was supposed to. When Dumbledore was looking at it, it was completely blank.

Dumbledore did a diagnostic of it as well and found like the alarm, the spell for the indicator had worn off years ago. Dumbledore thought about what Alastor Moody Moody would say if the ex-Auror was there with him. He had allowed at least two important spells to wear off.

"That will be the last time I use that oak and dragon heartstring wand for anything. I swore I would never use that wand I took from Grindelwald." Dumbledore mumbled to himself while lifting the wand from its hiding place. It may have been his imagination, but Fawkes, his phoenix heard him and was now laughing...

He had no reason to panic though. He put a spell on Harry that would send information out and the spell on the parchment paper converted that information into something meaningful. He just needed to recast the spell on the parchment and he will know where Harry was. Dumbledore recast the spell with the wand he swore he'd never use and the parchment paper was still blank.

Chapter NotesI wrote the ending for this chapter first. I wanted Dumbledore to make his appearance in this chapter. Also, I must apologize is parts of this chapter seem dull or are rushed. I haven't been in my creative mood lately... I will cover what happened during the rest of Andrew and Harry's trip in Diagon Alley after the next chapter. Anyways, next chapter: Dumbledore visits the Dursleys. Anyways, reviews.
Sign up to rate and review this story