Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Untitled Story - Year 7 and Beyond

Chapter 2

by matt311 0 reviews

Chapter one, as usual.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Crossover - Characters: Harry,Hermione - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2008-09-08 - Updated: 2008-09-08 - 2555 words

5Original
Chapter 2
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monday, 28 April, 1997
Bridge
Observer
02:30

"Navigation, take us up. Full sub-light when clear of the atmosphere." said Hermione, sitting in the control chair.

"Yes, Colonel."

"Harry, we're off."

"Yes, you are. And there's already unexpected stuff happening down here."

"How so?"

"Well, an army of little spider-looking robots flowed out and apparently started constructing another ship as soon as you vacated the space. I'm trying to find the queue so I can stop them building anything else. Little beggars work fast. Wish I knew where they were getting the materials."

"Just have a place for me to land when I get back."

"I'll put a temporary crew on the Llwyd and station it in orbit until we find somewhere to put it if I have to."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Friday, 2 May, 1997
PM's Office
Downing Street
15:00

Harry was briefing the new Prime Minister, one Tony Blair, on the division.

"You said you have two ships currently?"

"Yes. The science vessel Observer is currently surveying the moons of Jupiter, and is due back this weekend. The Aurora class warship Llwyd is currently on the ground, and another Aurora class warship is currently under construction. I'm working on designing a new class that is smaller but has the same armament, to conserve materials."

"What's this you said about 'magic' earlier?"

"Usually, you'd be briefed on that by the current Minister of Magic. However, the last minister was compromised during the course of the war in the wizarding world, so communications between here and there were severed for security reasons."

"Minister of Magic?"

"I'd better start at the beginning..."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sunday, 4 May, 1997
Shipyard
Potter Manor
02:45

"So, how did your moon-census go?" asked Harry, walking down the hall with Hermione.

"Quite well. We surveyed all the moons and asteroids. All 80 of them." said Hermione.

"As you can see, the new ship is progressing nicely. The Llwyd is in stationary orbit around the moon on the dark side." said Harry, as they reached a window looking out into the shipyard.

"Anything interesting happen?"

"We got a new PM on Friday."

"Who?"

"Tony Blair. Seems to be a good guy. Poor chap had to absorb the existence of magic AND aliens in one sitting."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thursday, 17 July, 1997
Shipyard
Potter Manor
13:45

The previous month and a half had passed in a flurry of discoveries in the database, and had shown that to even begin to understand half of its contents, Harry and Hermione needed a course or three in maths and physics. These subjects, of course, were not taught at Hogwarts.

"No wonder the wizarding world relies on goblins to do their banking... They never get taught any maths. I won't even start on the sciences." said Harry, frowning.

"Looks like a trip to a bookshop is in order." said Hermione.

"Ah, don't you just love the feeling you get when you realise that you're seven years behind your peers?" said Harry.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tuesday, 29 July, 1997
Library
Potter Manor
11:27

Harry and Hermione were surrounded by textbooks, paper, and pencils. They had decided to abandon parchment in favour of paper, and quills to pens and pencils. They were at a loss as to why the wizarding world still clung to quills and parchment like a small child to its favourite stuffed animal.

"I'm glad I learn quickly. If only there was a teaching program in the systems at the shipyard."

"I take it you checked?"

"Yes."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wednesday, 6 August, 1997
Shipyard
Potter Manor
11:02

After more than two months of planning and designing, Harry had completed the specifications for the new Phoenix class carrier, as well as specifications for its compliment of fighter craft. As he watched the newest Aurora class ship lift off, he wondered what he'd gotten himself into this time.

The new Phoenix class was to be about a 3/4 smaller than the Aurora class, and had two bays that could each hold 20 of the new air/space fighters. The Phoenix class was much sleeker than the Aurora class as well, consisting of flat panels, sweeping curves, and straight lines rather than odd protrusions in the most unlikely places. Armed with a modified version of the beam weapons found on the older Ancient satellite platforms, and not drones, more room was freed for the crew, which was to consist of roughly 60 people if fully crewed.

The fighters resembled jet aircraft, and could easily be mistaken for a new fighter aircraft, albeit of a radical new design, although the 'wings' were there solely to hold the ordinance, and the tail fins were purely aesthetic. They were designed to be able to operate in and out of atmosphere. Armed with a pair ADEN 30mm cannons and up to 10 AIM-9 missiles when used in space, Harry hoped that it would be able to eliminate anything it might need to shoot down. They featured a version of the engines on the smaller cylinder ships, inertial dampening, as well as minimal shielding.

The government was ecstatic about all this, because except for the missiles and cannons, it was produced at no cost to them.

As he put 25 of the new fighters into the build queue, he wondered where he'd store them out of sight.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thursday, 14 August, 1997
Library
Potter Manor
13:23

"So, Hermione, were you wanting to return to Hogwarts this year?"

"Actually, no. I can take the NEWTs whenever I want, I discovered, and we have more than enough resources here. Not to mention that Hogwarts doesn't offer a physics course."

"I'm not planning on returning either. Dumbledore told me he managed to convince Moony to take the DADA position again, so they'll have a good professor. I think I have enough experience in that field to pass the NEWT without issue, and as for the rest of them, I can study here."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tuesday, 2 September, 1997
Shipyard
Potter Manor
10:00

Harry watched as the formation of 15 fighters took flight and began practising manoeuvres.

"It appears they are as good in these as on the brooms. Excellent. Just a few more weeks and the Phoenix will be complete. I wonder if Hermione's managed to pry herself away from that book yet." said Harry, wandering back into the shipyard.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Friday, 19 September, 1997
Hermione's Room
Potter Manor
08:45

Harry walked into the room.

"GOOD MORNING, HERMIONE. THIS IS YOUR WAKE UP CALL." he said rather loudly, only to have to duck when Hermione leapt out of bed and pointed her wand-sized staff.

"Oh, it's you. What are you doing in here?" said Hermione, coming to her senses somewhat.

"The others are getting impatient, so I decided I'd better rouse you before the natives got any more restless."

"Others? Huh?"

"It's your birthday, Hermione."

"Really? I'd lost track."

"That's it, no more work for you until Monday. You need to have some fun, and it's not like you have a deadline to learn everything by. Now get dressed properly and stuff and head to the kitchen before Mrs. Weasley sends in someone else to get you."

"Oh! Right." she said, realizing that she was currently crouched next to her bed with a staff, in only a worn t-shirt and panties.

"Not that I mind the view, but Mrs. Weasley is a bit old fashioned, you know?" said Harry, before walking out.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Friday, 19 September, 1997
Kitchen
Potter Manor
09:30

The party had immediately gotten under way upon Hermione's arrival in the kitchen. Currently, Hermione was enjoying a large breakfast, courtesy of the elves and Mrs. Weasley.

Suddenly, she stopped eating, and groaned.

"What?" asked Harry.

"I set up a meeting with the PM today at 10, here. He wanted to see the new ship. I completely forgot that Friday was my birthday."

"I must have missed that memo, because I'd have urged you to reschedule." said Harry. "Oh well. We can still give him the tour. But no more work or study after that until Monday!"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Friday, 19 September, 1997
Kitchen
Potter Manor
09:55

"Well, since you're all here, and 'in the know' as it were, if you want to get the tour of the ship, follow me." said Harry, who led the group out of the Kitchen and onto the grounds.

After a 10 minute walk, they reached the hidden entrance to the shipyard, which was marked by a pair of wooden stakes that had been placed on either side of the door. After opening the door, he motioned the group inside, following behind.

"I know you said they were big, but I never realised they were this big." said the Prime Minister, looking out the window.

"The Observer is actually smaller than the Aurora class ships. If you'll follow me, we'll go to the Phoenix."

Arthur Weasley, who had come along, looked like a child in a candy store.

"The things muggles do." he said.

"Actually, this isn't the muggles. This is a combination of muggles, wizards, and Ancients." said Fred.

"Ancients?"

"We went over that. People capable of magic are descended from them, as well as some muggles."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Friday, 19 September, 1997
Phoenix
Shipyard
10:03

"This is the port side fighter bay. It can hold up to 20 of these fighters, as can the starboard bay. Each fighter is armed with a pair of ADEN 30mm cannons, and up to 10 AIM-9 Sidewinder missiles. They can take off either horizontally or vertically, like a Harrier. Unlike a normal aircraft, the wings serve no purpose in flight other than a place to hold weapons. We've been circulating rumours of a new experimental engine that is nearly silent, to explain any sightings of these aircraft making no noise. We've been limiting their flight to manoeuvres that are possible with conventional aircraft."

"This explains the reports we keep getting of unknown aircraft flying around this part of the country, then."

"Most likely, sir."

"Don't advertise it too much, or you'll have the RAF wanting a few dozen, if they don't already."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Saturday, 20 September, 1997
Outside the Library
Potter Manor
09:00

"Nope. No work until Monday, remember?" said Harry, steering Hermione away from the library.

"But"

"No. You forgot that it was your birthday. Too much focus on work." said Harry, pulling out his plate.

"Ron, you're in command until noon. I don't want myself or Hermione bothered unless it involves aliens attacking, imminent annihilation, or the four horsemen of the apocalypse, understood?"

"Yes, sir."

As they entered the Room with the Tree, Harry grinned.

"Maybe we can do this without being bothered. You know, I probably just screwed up any chance of that. I think I'll shut up now."

Amazingly, they weren't bothered, and the two managed to keep themselves happily entertained through a variety of activities.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thursday, 30 September, 1997
Bridge
Phoenix
09:00

Harry was sitting in the control chair, surrounded by various division personnel at their stations, mostly from the Llwyd, since a large number of the ship-able division was back at Hogwarts. He was in the process of starting the ships systems for a test flight.

"Navigation?"

"Operational, sir."

"Sensors?"

"Operational."

"Navigation, take us up. We have a launch drill to perform."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thursday, 30 September, 1997
Bridge
Phoenix
Orbit above Atlantic Ocean
09:05

"Sir, an unidentified contact just appeared on sensors about 3000 feet to port. It is moving away at high speed."

"Follow it. I'd like to meet with our visitor."

As they changed course, they saw a flash of colour.

"It just jumped into hyperspace."

"Open a channel to the Loucetios."

"Channel open."

"Loucetios, do you read?"

"Yes, sir."

"We just had an unidentified craft do a runner. Keep an eye out for any more."


After a successful launch drill, the Phoenix returned to the shipyard's "parking lot", also known as the large tract of land adjacent to it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thursday, 2 October, 1997
Library
Potter Manor
13:57

"We need to recruit some more people. We barely have enough to have a skeleton crew on three ships and still have enough for the fighters, even with everybody here. I was thinking we should see if squibs can operate the technology. If we really wanted to try something, we could see if muggles could. We hardly use magic when we're on the ships, mostly just here to keep in practice, or to prepare for NEWTs. With more than half the division back in school, we're severely understaffed. We certainly don't have enough for the Caswallawn when it's completed."

"I don't see why we couldn't recruit squibs and muggles. Most of the magic we use outside of the manor building could be attributed to the technology very easily. We'd just have to keep the use of major magic to certain areas."

"You're remembering to take breaks, right?"

"You just like the opportunity to snog."

"Actually, the fact that you must have been pretty out of it to forget your birthday when you were looking at a calendar daily is more of a concern. Though the snogging isn't something you'll ever hear me complain about."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Friday, 14 November, 1997
Briefing Room
Potter Manor
10:00

"Right. You have all joined or been transferred into the British Army's Magical Division. Most of you will be training to operate one of our five ships, or our fighters. All of you have shown that you can operate the technology." said Harry, addressing the mixture of muggles, squibs, and magicals in front of him. "If neither of these is acceptable, we also have numerous places for you in other areas, ranging from medical to research. All personnel will receive basic firearm training, and all but the muggles will receive the helmet training. Muggles will have to learn the old fashioned way, since the helmets seem to malfunction on them."

After discussions with the government, both magical and muggle, Harry had found that the Statute of Secrecy was in fact, mostly to keep wizards from blatantly doing magic in front of muggles for the sake of doing magic in front of them, and that his informing them of the magical world when they joined the division was in fact, allowed. Of course, discretion was highly advised, since the magical governments of the world did not desire to have religious fanatics trying to kill wizards and witches.

Harry continued his lecture about what the division did, some of its unique rules and regulations, and the differences from the rest of the British Army.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thursday, 4 December, 1997
Commissary
Caswallawn
10:00

"You've got quite a view from here." said the Prime Minister, looking out the window at the earth.

"Yes. We've been debating on whether to inform the Americans of our ships, although they likely already know. We had an interesting time over the last few weeks staying out of sight of the Columbia. We've been cleaning up various bits of debris up here too. It's a wonder the shuttle survives long enough to land with all the crap up here. We picked up and disposed of a reactor core earlier this week. Nuclear satellites... Honestly."

"We'll have to tell them eventually. Their plan for a space station will make it a bit difficult to hide out here."

"Indeed." said Harry, taking another bite of pie. "I think the best solution would be to tell those who 'need to know', and they continue using the shuttles as usual. Well, if you're finished with your food, we'll continue the tour."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A/N: I never did understand how all these shows with spaceships have managed to avoid the whole space junk issue. Many thousands of flecks of paint, metal, and other assorted debris is a major issue.
Sign up to rate and review this story