Categories > Original > Fantasy > In his own words.

Nov. 7th, 2008.

by broken_soul 0 reviews

Rain, rain go away.

Category: Fantasy - Rating: G - Genres: Drama,Fantasy,Romance - Published: 2008-11-14 - Updated: 2008-11-15 - 1543 words

0Unrated
She woke up cold and wet. Her eyes fluttered open quickly and looked around, that’s when it dawned on her that she was on the ground outside, and remembered that it had rained last night. A sigh escaped her lips as she picked herself off the cold concrete and walked out from the alley.

Recap; she had left her house without her stepmothers approval; her stepmother got pissed off and shut down her bank account, claiming the card had been stolen, all in an attempt to get Cassia to go back home. Obviously it hadn’t worked, and Cassia walked the streets farther and farther in an effort to leave the city. She got far, but not that far, and ended up passing out in a dark and dingy alley.

Forgetting that she had chopped off her hair the day previous, she went to run her fingers through it, being thrown off when they reached the tips. She sighed and pulled the cropped hair into a messy ponytail (half of it out of the hair tie, because of it being so short). Her stomach growled at her, she hadn’t eaten since yesterday morning.

‘Shit I should’ve packed some food.’ She told to herself as she passed a restaurant. She was tempted to go inside and ask for food but she knew they would have no sympathy on her, why should they? They weren’t going to be making any profit on her. The idea/temptation left her mind as quickly as it entered. Her iPod battery was dead, so she had no background music to enlighten her as she continued on her journey. She thought about selling it and then she would have money for a hotel room for the night, or at least food. But did she want to give up one of the only things she had left? She wouldn’t be able to deal without music. She sighed yet again. The decision was a hard one to make.

In her peripheral vision she saw something green moving, she turned her head to see a scruffy man walking into a store. She turned her head up and read the store sign.

Internet Café

That meant she could charge her iPod. She smiled and walked into the café with no worries. Then she realized, to go on the computer she would need money. She then cursed under her breath and went to walk out of the place. “Excuse me, ma’am.” A soprano voice rang in her ears. She turned to see a blonde teenage girl, had to be no older then Cassia herself, sitting at the casher two feet away from her.

She debated on just walking out of the store anyway, when she told the girl she only had two dollars and a few dimes to her name the girl would probably laugh in her face. She did not want to look bitter though, so she answered back.

“Yes?”

“Well can I help you with something?” The girl answered back sweetly. A sigh escaped Cassia’s lips; she was already in there, might as well see how much it cost for the computer usage.

“Um, I was wondering how much the computer would be. I’m not going on the internet, just charging my iPod.” She answered and the girl smiled back at her.

“Its five dollars for the hour, but you look as if you’ve been having a hard morning, so I’ll let you go on for free if you want.” Cassia couldn’t believe her ears, she wanted to jump over the desk at that moment and hug the girl. She felt grateful.

“Thanks.”

She walked over to a computer and plugged her iPod into it, watching it charge. She let her mind wander as she began to plot in her head how she was going to make it to Orillia from downtown Toronto. That was practically a four hour drive. Walking? That would take her days. Maybe she could hick hike- no that could only end up bad. Maybe she could call Alex or Samantha and ask for a ride- if only she knew the number. Defeat tried taking over her, but she refused to give up, she was not going to give in.

She felt as if she was being watched, but didn’t turn to see if she was right. She was a paranoid person already, so it was probably just her mind playing tricks on her. Or so that’s what she told herself until she heard that soprano voice ringing in her ears again.

“You okay?” She asked, Cassia just looked at her and sighed, not answering though. How could she answer when she herself didn’t know the answer? “I don’t mean this offensively, so please don’t take offense to it, but you look like you need a shower. Were you the one sleeping in the back alley last night?”

Cassia’s eyes widened. People knew she was back there? How many people knew about that? What did they think of her? They probably thought she was just another homeless bum on the streets, not to say she wasn’t because in all honesty that’s what she had became, but still. It hurt Cassia to even admit to it in her mind.

“Yeah, that was me.” She answered back truthfully. The girl looked at her with remorse.

“You know, I have a place just upstairs, you can take a shower if you want.” Cassia considered that, at first the smart side of her was screaming at her, telling her not to do it, but she had taken this many chances thus far, what would another one really do?

“Are you serious? Why?” Cassia asked before saying yes. She wanted to know, why, why was this girl being so nice to her?

“Well,” The girl started off “You look more like a run-a-way then just some crazy homeless person. I can sense that you’re in trouble, that you’re hurting, and you look about my age too. I can only imagine whatever your going through, being out on the streets.”

Cassia’s voice was stuck in her throat. She coughed for a second, attempting to clear it, and then tried to answer her. “Well thank you. I guess if it’s not too much then.”

“Come on, you can bring your iPod, I have another computer upstairs.” The girl spoke perkily, and then hit her forehead. “Where ever are my manners though? I’m Ocean,” She stuck her hand out and Cassia shook it.

“Cassia.”

“Ooh! That is a really beautiful name,” Cassia felt the heat rushing to her cheeks as she blushed slightly. Ocean giggled and got up from the chair; Cassia took that as her cue to get up as well and followed Ocean up a tiny flight of stairs. Beyond being paranoid, she was also claustrophobic, so walking up the long flight of stairs in the skinny staircase made her breathing increase at a high pace. Ocean looked back at her, raising her right eyebrow.

“You okay?” She asked, concern filling every aspect of her voice, and her crystal blue eyes. Cassia nodded her head, not being able to get out words as she gripped onto the walls as if for her dear life. Ocean giggled her perky giggle, and opened the door at the top of the stairs, letting Cassia into the apartment.

“Ocean? Is that you?” A male’s voice called out from the back of the apartment.

“Yeah, it’s me father.” She answered back and then turned to Cassia. “I assume you have clothes of your own in your bag, but they’re probably wet from the rain last night. I’ll lay out some clothes for you to keep if you want.” She kept talking as she walked into a bedroom that was all pink, Cassia immediately assumed that it was hers seeing as the pink matched the perky mood that she guessed Ocean always had.

“The bathroom is right in there, it’s my own private bathroom so don’t worry about anyone walking in. I’ll leave the clothes on the bed, plug your iPod in, and cook you up something to eat. I can tell you haven’t eaten anything yet.” Cassia nodded and walked into the bathroom, closing the door behind her and began stripping as if this wasn’t weird at all. She looked in the mirror before turning the water on and examined her body. She hated her body, she wasn’t extremely big, but anyone who called her just curvy was lying to her. She was fat. Not where she couldn’t fit through a door frame or anything, but fat enough that it was hard to find clothes for her. She wondered how Ocean would get her clothes, seeing as Ocean looked as if she had to of been a size zero. It didn’t matter, either way; she had clothes packed in her bag.

She hopped into the shower and the hot water calmed her down, and for the first time today, she felt as if she could actually do this. Yeah, she wasn’t giving up.
Sign up to rate and review this story