Categories > Original > Drama > Play: Full-Framed Glasses.

Scene Three.

by xl0nelywriterx 0 reviews

See prev.

Category: Drama - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Published: 2008-12-12 - Updated: 2008-12-13 - 511 words

0Unrated
SCENE THREE.

(Reba and Diane are sitting at a table at Diane's house, having a drink)

REBA. It has been entirely too long since we've hung out with all your 'job hunting' during the week.
DIANE. Ha. Yeah. (she takes a drink)
REBA. So why did you call for a cosmo? Something really special must have happened. You haven't ordered a cosmo since you announced to me you and whatshisface were dating...
DIANE. Jim.
REBA. Right. (she laughs) I can't believe I forgot that.
DIANE. It was almost 2 years ago...ish. (beat) But yes, I do have news.
REBA. What! what? what?!
DIANE. I got a job.

(Reba squeals, but Diane just smiles)

DIANE. Yeah, it's at South Square Designs downtown.
REBA. Oh...what's that?
DIANE. It's an architecture/visual arts center. They do all sorts of stuff...but I applied for the architecture part.
REBA. That's so exciting!
DIANE. (somber) I know.
REBA. You seem...(she trails off)
DIANE. (softly) What?
REBA. I don't know. You just don't seem enthused.
DIANE. No, I am.
REBA. You have a funny way of showing it.
DIANE. Well, I am. Needless to say. The boss gave me a job right on the spot.
REBA. (impressed) Really?
DIANE. Yeah. We got into a discussion on my last name, funny enough. And then I pretended to be interested in cultures or whatever, I can't even remember, and he asked me if I meant what I said. I told him I didn't, he said, "Why are you forcing conversation?" and I replied, "Why are you even asking that question?" And he liked me, and then he hired me.
REBA. That's amazing. I don't know what I'd do if my boss asked me a question like that.
DIANE. Well, you should probably answer it.
REBA. Well, yeah. But I mean, if Gerald asked me a question like, "Why are you forcing conversation?", I'd probably deny that I was. Gerald is such a dick. Last week he fired an intern for making a phone call on the job. The industries are getting tougher each day.
DIANE. Welcome to the recession.
REBA. I'm afraid it'll turn into the 1930's again.
DIANE. I highly doubt it will. There was no financial stability to begin with in the 30's. Most of the recession now is caused by corprate, capitalist facists.
REBA. I don't...(she laughs) I don't follow the stock market.
DIANE. No need. The stock market is but an illusion.
REBA. What do you mean?
DIANE. The stock market is a giant financial illusion, like the Lottery. No matter what you put your money on, it tries and guarantees you success. I mean, does anyone actually know anyone whose one the lottery.
REBA. I don't think I do.
DIANE. Exactly, it's all a marketing illusion.
REBA. (not really comprehending a word) Yeah, stock markets are...confusing. I honestly think investing is stupid though, I'd have to agree with you.
DIANE. (after a few beats) Why is everything so pointless?
REBA. What are you saying?
DIANE. I don't really know.

(Blackout)
Sign up to rate and review this story