Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > Living on a prayer

We've got to hold on ready or not

by Leah270193 2 reviews

Things run tense between Kat and Gerard in the first couple of months of Kat's pregnancy...

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Characters: Gerard Way - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2009-01-16 - Updated: 2009-01-16 - 1653 words

0Unrated
A/N: I enjoyed writing this chapter. I had to do pleanty of research on the first trimester to make it realistic. Rate and review it I worked hard for you readers. Just enjoy :) Sorry if I get a little visual aswell in a little bit it's nothing too bad though.


‘Gerard, for fuck sake can you please just help me make the bed and tidy up!’
‘Kat I told you, in a minute I just need to finish this little bit of my drawing then I’ll help, yeah?’
‘Fuck it I’ll do it my fucking self’
‘Kat come on honey don’t be like that.’
‘Be like what? Stressed out? Worried sick about how we are going to cope? Annoying? Pissed off? ‘Cos my fucking, so –called boyfriend won’t stop his shitty art, just to help, me out?

She had been like this with me a lot recently. Apparently from the book I picked out from Barnes and Noble about pregnancy, most women can get like this in the first months. I suppose her feeling sick and getting frequent headaches quite a lot didn’t help her mood either (according to what I’d read both of these things are just supposed to add to the ‘joy’ of it all) . She’d been crying quite a bit too, well both of us in fact. Though, I didn’t do it in front of anybody. It’s just the constant arguing and the worry about money that get’s to me. Plus, the fear that something’s going to go wrong. Like, we’ll lose the baby or I’ll lose Kat, or…shit just so much fucking stress. I mean I’m still really hopeful about everything and still really happy. But I just didn’t know how stressful it could be and the baby isn’t even born yet!
I decided I better get up and go help her out. The last thing I wanted was her to end up in tears again like the last time I was busy and she wanted me to help her with something.

‘Okay, okay I’ll help’

‘Gerard I don’t know why you won’t just do it when I first ask you. Or is your art more important than me?’

Oh here we go. This has been the main reoccurring argument so far. Of course I adore Kat and she comes way on top of art, it’s just this could be my big break. I don’t know if she gets that. If my TV series idea goes well then me and Kat won’t need to worry anymore. Sometimes I’m not sure if she or anybody else in that fact believes in me.

‘Kat honey you know you’re way more important. I love you. It’s just I wanna make this work. Baby, if this idea of mine sells then we won’t have to worry about bills and shit. It’ll be great; I just want to make this work – for us and the baby.’

I looked at her for a minute hoping to see some understanding but instead she just looked, well, not exactly convinced.

‘Look Gerard, I know you are just trying to help but- but you can’t pin everything on this TV series idea of yours. And I’m not saying I don’t believe in you honey it’s just, I don’t want you to build yourself up then get knocked back. Not at a time like this when things are stressful and hectic as they are already. ’

I gave her a smile. I guess she was sort of right. But still I wasn’t going to let her or myself down. I’m going to make this work.






That evening Kat went for a girly night out with her friend’s. No drinking of course just to the movies and for a meal. So I was left alone to have some ‘chill out’ time as Kat put it. But in fact I wasn’t chill even in the slightest. What she said earlier hurt. Not about the art but just the words: ‘so- called boyfriend’ seemed to pop up in my head again. I started to dread what sort of Dad I would be. What if I was crap and Kat left me. Or what if I did something wrong and hurt the baby. I started to feel a little shaky with anxiety. So I got up off the bed and went to the Kitchen for a drink of water.
Awkwardness and almost shyness seemed to take hold of me when I got to the top of the stairs and saw my Dad sitting at the kitchen table drinking a coffee. The last thing I wanted was my parents to find out I was struggling to deal with me and Kat’s new ‘situation’. Especially my Dad, I mean how could I ever match up to my own Dad? He was great, practically my hero and what if I was rubbish? I grabbed myself a glass and filled it with water while trying to act calm.

‘You alright, Gerard?
‘Uh, yeah Dad I’m good I guess’
He gave me the ‘I’m not taking that for an answer’ look. The one parent’s give when they suss you out. He pulled a chair out for me to sit on. To be truly honest I really did want to talk to my Dad about stuff. But all the same I was fuck nervous.

‘How have things with you and Kat been? I heard you arguing earlier, are things okay?’
‘Oh she’s just stressed. She thinks my TV series; you know the Breakfast Monkey won’t work and stuff.’
‘Well I think you two were kind of thrown head first into this one. So I don’t blame both of you feeling tense.’

My worry started to ease away bit by bit. I don’t know why I should have been so nervous talking to my Dad about this stuff. He’s been there done it (still doing it actually), twice in fact.

‘Money’s tight so that’s making us feel a bit of a strain. I just don’t have any idea how we are going to do it. I know you and Mom said you would help out but, still I don’t want to rely on you guys too much.’

‘Look don’t you worry about that stuff. Cross that bridge when you come to it. That’s what my Dad used to say. You’ll manage. You will in the end, it’ll be a tough one but you’ll do it.’
I gave my Dad a grateful smile. I felt a lot more relaxed now.

‘If I give you one piece of advice it is too stop worrying about how things should be and start making them happen. It’s easier said than done but if you just sit there brooding over things nothing is gonna’ change.’

I got up too go and thanked my Dad he really did make me feel okay about stuff. That, in my mind was the best father, son talk I’ve ever had. His last piece of advice really struck me too. Instead of worrying about being a good Dad I thought, I’ll go read that book like I should be.

When Kat came in she saw me sitting on our bed, red eyed and tired from reading. I was really getting into this whole pregnancy thing. Some of the stuff scared me and some of it made me just go ‘wow’. Seriously, how the baby grows and everything is just incredible. I was so enthralled I hardly realised Kat was now sitting with me trying to read over my shoulder.

‘You enjoying yourself honey?’
‘Actually I am. Did you know the baby is actually 8cm long and has all its organs and the baby even has jaw movements and sucking and swallowing? It’s really cool.’

I looked at Kat’s face then. It was a face I hadn’t seen in a while. She looked sort of proud. I felt a great big grin grow across my face. I was quite impressed with myself actually, I’d read a lot.

‘Oh look there is a due date thingy let’s work out when I’m due’

I put my arm round Kat so she could snuggle up closer to me. I felt so intimate with her it was un- believable. So long ‘so –called’ boyfriend I thought.

‘So my last period was on the…10th of May I think. So according to this… the baby should be due about the 17th of October time.’

‘Wow that’s not too far off.’
‘Nope only Six months to go, excited?’
‘Yeah I really am’

And I really meant it. Okay, so I have no idea how we are going to afford everything, whether I am going to be a good Dad and me and Kat can only pray to God everything will go okay in terms of her and the baby’s health. But I guess this is one of those rare moments in my life where I’ll readily admit that my Dad knows best. And in an attempt to sound cheesy by repeating my Dad’s word’s I guess in terms of dealing with stuff I’ll cross those bridges when I come to them.


Hope you liked it. If any of you have been on MCR.com you would have watced the video Bob posted on there. His last one was hilarios. The one I've but the link to is just as funny. Watch it will make you laugh. well I did but then I'm always laughing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMriTkE3igY

xxx Love you lots, Leah
Sign up to rate and review this story