Categories > Original > Drama > Play: Full-Framed Glasses.

Scene Five.

by xl0nelywriterx 0 reviews

See previous.

Category: Drama - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Published: 2009-02-20 - Updated: 2009-02-21 - 655 words

0Unrated
SCENE FIVE.

(Darren is at his desk. There's a chair in front of his desk. Darren is typing at his laptop. Walker abruptly walks in)

WALKER. Whose the new girl?
DARREN. You really should knock.
WALKER. Whose the new girl?
DARREN. Her name is Diane, she came in yesterday.
WALKER. Is she an intern? You gave her intern work.
DARREN. I've been working all day to figure out what to do with her.
WALKER. Whaddya mean? (he sits down, and gets cigarettes out of his pocket) You don't mind if I--
DARREN. No. Go ahead.

(Walker lights up)

DARREN. Thought you hated smoking. You said it was stupid. You got mad at me when I took it up.
WALKER. It is stupid.
DARREN. Anyway, she graduated from the tech college over by the Sun Trust building. I have her resume and her transcript...and she gave me her portfolio this morning, and holy hell...she was a perfect student, and her stuff is brilliant.
WALKER. Then, why did you give her intern's work?
DARREN. I can't just start her out as an architect. It's part of the internship. She starts out doing my work, and then I give her an apprenticeship with the architects upstairs, and then I move her in there. It takes about a year and a half. She has to prove herself to be responsible...that's what I had to do for my father here, and his father had to do for his, and it goes down the line.
WALKER. Well, all the architects that the interns were apprentices for had to start some where.
DARREN. The very first architects in this building were like my father--city slickers who'd done it for years and years and years, and eventually all the architects started dropping because they'd make more money freelancing anyway. Anyone who gets a department has to prove themselves worthy as interns. That's the philosophy here at South Square, as established by the blood line.
WALKER. You're such a dumb ass.
DARREN. What?
WALKER. Dude, fuck the fucking blood line.
DARREN. Stop speaking to me so informally, I'm your boss.
WALKER. You're already fucking the secretary, I'm your best friend from high school, I think I can be as informal as I choose. The only ones here who don't actually know you are all the architects, the H.R. people, the managers, and the technical assistants like Nadine.
You gave a girl a job because she was smokin' hot. It's all in the way of office politics, nothing's "fair".
DARREN. She has credentials--
WALKER. You hired her for the same reason you hired Harriet and Nadine. They're hot.
DARREN. Nadine went to state to be an accountant and was an undergrad in architecture.
WALKER. What about Harriet? She dropped out of beauty school.
DARREN. Well, she doesn't even do anything that's really--
WALKER. Chicks would dig to be secretaries!
DARREN. (laughs) What girl wants to be a secretary?
WALKER. Girls are stupid, they'll do anything that'll keep the hot man in charge interested. Make that girl, whatshername?
DARREN. Diane.
WALKER. --Diane, an architect. And if someone gives you a fuss about it, she has the "credentials" to back it up.
DARREN. It's not right, man. Give me a smoke. (Walker does)
WALKER. She's hot and she's smart.
DARREN. I'll think about.
WALKER. Hotter than Harriet--
DARREN. Well...
WALKER. Hotter than Nadine.
DARREN. It's just not ethical, I don't know...
WALKER. Hot chicks suck dicks, man. Maybe if you bump her up, you can cut Harriet out of the picture--
DARREN. I don't want to dump Harriet.
WALKER. You're not happy with Harriet! She's ugly!
DARREN. Hey, she's not--
WALKER. You're unhappy. She's dumb. She's dull. Diane's smart and if you promote her, she'll actually be responsible. It's a dream.
DARREN. I'm not unhappy with Harriet.
WALKER. If you could only hear yourself right now, man.
DARREN. I'll...think it over.

(Blackout)
Sign up to rate and review this story