Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > Grow Up Too Fast

I Don't Like the Ocean Anymore

by lostmyfearoffalling 5 reviews

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: G - Genres:  - Published: 2009-04-25 - Updated: 2009-04-25 - 1458 words

3Funny
Hi. So, another new one. Not quite as funky as the last one. Actually this one is pretty average. But I needed something, and this worked. I think the next few are gonna be a little bit more serious too, so I thought I'd do a lighter one.

“Charley, are you ready for your first time at a beach?” Gerard asks Charley. She grins and nods happily.

Me, Ray, Bob and Frank look at each other in discomfort. None of us are exactly comfortable around water. I was terrified of sharks as a kid, and now it’s more large bodies of water. Ray can’t swim to save his life, so he hates it, and Bob doesn’t like being in the middle of the water. He’s afraid of drowning. Frank hates it too; I still remember him holding his helmet on his lap to use like a bucket if he got sick, because he was so freaked when the boat almost sunk in The Ghost of You shoot. So yeah, basically all of us except Gerard are scared as hell of water and drowning and shit. And Gee made us come to the beach.

We pull up to an area with almost no people; go figure, at nine a.m. on a Tuesday, who goes to the beach? Apparently, we do. Anyway, we get out of the car, grabbing the towels while Frankie unbuckles Charley from her car seat. We walk to the beach, throwing the stuff down on the sand. Charley giggles and runs over to the waves, laughing when they touch her feet and she jumps back.

“Someone should probably go over there with her.” Gee says, laying down some towels. That’s all we brought, no toys for Charley or anything. We’re from Jersey. We don’t know this stuff.

“You’re her dad.” Frankie says, in a serious voice that’s odd to hear him use.

Gerard looks up in surprise, taking in all our expressions. He starts to laugh. “You’re all seriously freaked out, aren’t you?”

“I am!” Ray volunteers. He holds up a hand.

“I’ll be ok, as long as you don’t make me go out there too far.” Bob says. Good ol’ Bob.

“I guess I am,” I say, staring at the ground. Actually, I’m still terrified of sharks. This isn’t my ideal place to be. Like I said, I still have nightmares about the Ghost of You near death incident.

“I might survive.” Frank says. “Maybe,” and it’s funny, because we all know he really is scared.

Gerard sighs, taking off his shirt and throwing it down, walking after Charley and shaking his head at us.

I sigh. “So, who’s gonna go in with me?”

No one answers.

“Come on. I’m not gonna go in deep. I just wanna prove to myself I won’t die if I go up to my shoulders.” I say. I swallow, because it’s making me nervous thinking about it.

“Um…I’ll come…I guess.” Bob says. He looks embarrassed as he looks to Frank. “You coming?”

Frank takes an exaggerated breath. “I suppose.” He looks to Ray. “Ray?”

“Nu-uh!” Ray says loudly. He puts his hands up. “I have a waist high limit.”

“Come on Ray! We’re all going together! It’s like, a foot more.”

“No fucking way.” Ray says, crossing his arms. “I’m not doing it. Because every time I do, I step in a hole, and then I almost drown.”

“Ray,” Frankie says, “That happened twice.”

“And twice is enough for me. I don’t need to almost drown again.”

“Ok…” Frankie says, and I know that he’s really wanting Ray to come. Because he’s so much shorter than us, the water’s gonna be way deeper on him. If Ray comes, he won’t look as stupid. But Ray is stubborn, and completely refuses. He wades in up to his kneecaps, and stands, and it’s obvious he’s not going one step further.

Me, Bob and Frankie walk farther down, to the point where the water is up to Frank’s shoulder’s, which is the middle of mine and Bob’s chests.

Gerard is holding Charley, swimming with her fifteen feet or so away from us. He looks back and calls, “Charley wants to know why you won’t come out this far!” I can see his smirk from here.

“Tell her we’re scared!” I yell back, and Gerard laughs.

“Why are you scared?” Gee calls.

“Because we don’t like deep water!”

“And Mikey is scared of sharks!” Bob adds. I glare at him.

“What?” He says. “It’s true.” I cross my arms and Frankie laughs. The water actually feels nice, but not nice enough to get us to go any farther out than we already are.

Gee swims with Charley for an hour, and then he gets tired, dropping down next to me onto a towel. Charley is still playing in the tide, inching closer and closer to it.

“Isn’t she tired yet?” Frank asks Gerard. He shrugs.

“Not enough to come out of the water.”

“You couldn’t pay me to stay in that long.” Ray said. He’d only stayed in the water for a grand total of seven minutes, not including dipping his feet in every now and then because it was so hot.

Gerard laughs, then sighs. “I know.” He stands up slowly. “Can you watch her for five minutes? I’m gonna go get some drinks. I’m thirsty as hell.”

Frank, who had his hands behind his head and his sunglasses on smiled. “I want a Pepsi.”

Gee smiles. “Can I take anyone else’s order?”

“Red Bull.” Bob says, playing with the sand.

“Same.” Ray adds.

Gee laughs. “Mikey?”

“Um….Coffee.”

“Why did I even ask?” Gerard says.

“I don’t know.” I call, as he walks away.

I sigh, pulling my knees up to my chest, and looking at Charley for a minute. It’s warm and it’s making me want to sleep. I try to keep my eyes open, gazing down the beach at the other people who’ve showed up in the last hour. I’m busy people watching when Frankie says, “Charley’s pretty deep in, we should tell her to come back.”

I look at her, and she is far in, the water’s up to her shoulders. My chest tightens a little bit as I see her. “Charley, come back closer to us, alright?” She turns, just as a wave comes. She looks confused when she sees the fear on all of our faces as the wave comes up to her back, getting taller, until it breaks over her head, pulling her down under the water.

“Shit!” I yell, getting up as fast as I can and flinging myself towards the water. I dive in, and as soon as I’m in, the fear comes. I push it back, because I know that Charley has to be more scared than me. I see her head bob up six feet in front of me, and I swim toward her. Just as I am about to grab her hand, she’s pulled under again.

I take a deep breath and go under water, where I’m six times more terrified. Still I force myself to move forward, touching Charley’s arm and pulling her up.

Charley gasps when we break the surface, coughing up water as I move back towards the beach.

“It’s ok Charley,” I say, holding her tight against me. I’m incredibly happy when I can feel the sand under the water again. I can feel her crying, and I don’t know what to do, except to keep telling her she’s ok. I look up to see the guys gaping at us at the edge of the water. It’s only another thirty seconds until we’re there.

Charley keeps crying, wrapping her arms tightly around my neck and clinging to me, as we sit down on a towel.

“Are you ok Charley?” I ask her.

“Mmhm.” She sniffles. She wipes her eyes and rests her head on the shoulder. “I don’t like the ocean anymore Mikey.” She whispers to me, like it’s some dark secret.

I smile at her. “That’s ok. None of us do.”


Ok. Hope you liked it. Like I said, not the best. But ok...Rate and Review, again rate especially because like half of them are really close to going green...not to beg or anything. (smiles and holds out m&m cookies.) You know you want them....:)
Sign up to rate and review this story