Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Holly Evans and the Spiral Path

Define FUBAR

by wordhammer 1 review

Gringott's, re-humanizing and losing an ally.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Angst,Drama,Humor - Characters: Harry,Hermione,Lupin,Professor McGonagall - Warnings: [!!!] - Published: 2009-07-01 - Updated: 2009-07-02 - 9405 words - Complete

5Moving
Disclaimer: Harry Potter and all related concepts are owned by someone who isn't me. I will never seek or accept money for the circulation of this work.

Author's note: If you feel anything for Holly as a character, this chapter should feel like a rollercoaster. I have not gone insane. This is not a dream sequence. What happens here was intended before I ever posted 'Nice Equals Dumb'.

Holly Evans and the Spiral Path
Chapter 24: Define FUBAR

Minerva,
We're waiting in a private room. Apparently the goblins are quite beside themselves trying to prepare to speak to the Great Harry Potter. Moony keeps telling me to do nothing reflexively- 'consider everything carefully before responding'. I knew he was worth something if Mum taught him.
It's so weird writing in here using a quill instead of my finger. I haven't tried to extend it out as Harry has no reason to have any body modifications. According to Moony, it is surprising that the only scar that appears on this body is the one Riddle gave me 31st October, 1981. It's a small blessing.
From your instructions, I think I've modded the journal properly so that it will send updates to your copy when Newt signs off just as it does when I do. I'm just glad this wasn't in place when Newt was writing down all of my and Hermione's sexual exploits over Christmas. Although, knowing it's you and not my mythical silently cloistered little brother, I don't feel so bad for including some of the sordid details along the way. As far as those times when I was critical of you... I meant it. Gryffindors need guidance, not a traffic sign. As does the rest of the school. Albus may as well be the Sorting Hat for as much as he interacts with the students. As Deputy, you set the tone when he refuses to do so. I got that from the Military Code you made me read. See- I can learn ethics. Anyway, I'll look for the marker that indicates the update has been sent.
Say goodbye to Minerva, Newt.

Love,
~Newt~


*

Transcription: 25th January, 1994 starting 4:41 PM
Harry and Moony are waiting in a private room within Gringott's bank. A small goblin named Griphook has just left after announcing that in five minutes they will be brought before Urthuk, the senior accountant of the day. Moony is getting up from sitting at the table while Harry has been rocking back and forth while standing.
Moony: "Anything else you want to cover before we go in?"
Harry: "Ummm...yeah. Is there any way, aside from the obvious to...ahh...to make it...ugh! I can't believe I'm saying this! Is there a way to make my...horn ...stop being hard?"
Moony: "Heh. At 14? Not really. But here wizarding fashion has the advantage. Imagine being in that state wearing denims."
Harry: "I am wearing denims! At the moment I can't fathom how I'll be able to sit down, much less concentrate on anything. I mean, my God! I always thought boys were stupider but now I'm impressed you lot form complete sentences!"
Moony grasps Harry over his mouth and pushes him to an isolated corner of the room. Moony releases Harry and incants a quick Muffliato.
Moony: "Get yourself under control!"
Harry: "But..."
Moony: "Find a way. The goblins enjoy watching humans get upset nearly as much as they enjoy watching an enemy bleed. Save your digs on OUR gender for another time, and don't forget for a moment who you are. My best suggestion is to hit your crotch with a freezing hex. Aside from that, accept it and move on. This is enemy territory."
Harry: "Right. Sorry. Thanks."
Moony cancels his spell just moments before Griphook returns to the room. The goblin leads Harry and Moony to an office at the end of a long set of stairs downward and another corridor lined with unlabeled doors. Entering the office, they are invited to sit in the two short wooden chairs in front of a raised desk, behind which sits a larger, much older-looking goblin. The desk has numerous stacks of parchment in semi-orderly piles, an inkwell with a dozen quills of different types inserted, and a small carved stone bowl with an ornate silver potions knife next to it.
Urthuk: "I am Urthuk, senior accountant for Gringott's. You claim to be Harry Potter and wish to access your rightful properties. Who is this other?"
Moony: "My name is Remus Lupin. I am a Professor at Hogwarts and Harry Potter's mentor, as I was close friends with both his parents before they died. I am here as an adult to counsel Mr. Potter."
Urthuk: "Acceptable. Mr. Potter, we at Gringott's have been in contact with your magical guardian, Albus Dumbledore in regards to your Trust account up to this point. Is there something wrong with this arrangement?"
Harry: "Well, I have no knowledge of the details about my account, as the Headmaster has simply given me funds when I needed them. I can’t live in the dark forever; I need to know where I stand and what I will be responsible for. If that proves to be very different from what I've been led to believe, then I’ll want to change the arrangement."
Harry looks to Moony, who gives an approving nod.
Urthuk looks at Harry with a cold scrutiny for a minute.
Urthuk: "Very well. Take the knife there and deposit a sample of your blood within the bowl, so that we can verify that you are who you claim to be."
Harry gulps and then stands up, stepping forward to the desk and picking up the knife. Just before Harry cuts into his left thumb, Moony jumps up and grabs Harry's wrist.
Moony: "There are no contracts being enacted here and Harry is underage. Why does he have to give blood?"
Urthuk: "Blood is commonly used to verify identity."
Harry: "What would you be comparing my blood to for verification?"
Urthuk: "Do they teach nothing of value in that nursery school of yours? Every magical citizen of a House is registered at birth or soon after with a blood sample."
Harry gives Moony a meaningful look of thanks, putting the knife back down on the desk.
Harry: "Ah. That would be a problem then."
Urthuk: "What would be a problem?"
Harry: "My blood. It has been... changed, due to... exposure to Basilisk venom and Phoenix tears."
Urthuk: "Really. You think we can't tell your blood because you were poisoned and then cured? Blood is blood."
Harry: "Well, normally I'd agree with you, but... I'm not the same anymore. Biologically."
Urthuk: "Tell me more."
Moony: "I don't think that will be necessary. We have given you reason to ask for an alternate method of verification. Would you accept his vow?"
Urthuk: "We have used vows in the past, particularly for the weak who cannot stand the sight of their own blood. Are you weak, Harry Potter?"
Harry: "No, I'm not weak! We already told you why blood won't work. Give us another method."
Urthuk: “You are rude.”
Harry: “I am direct. Anything else is rude.”
Urthuk: “Maybe they teach you after all. Fine.”
Urthuk pulls out a parchment, looks it over briefly and hands it to Harry.
Urthuk: “Speak this vow if you dare, Mr. Potter.”
Harry and Moony look over the writing on the parchment. Moony shrugs. Harry pulls out his holly wand and presents it upright, never risking to point it towards the goblin behind the desk.
Harry: “Alright. By my magic and my life, I vow that I am the one and only Harry James Potter, child of James and Lily, and that to my knowledge, no other living being has greater rights to the Potter legacies than I. My life be forfeit to the Goblin nation if I am wrong. So mote it be.”
A red swirl of magic spins around the tip of the wand.
Urthuk: "That is not what was written.”
Moony: “It is no less accurate, and accommodates the unknown lineage of Harry’s sister, Holly Evans. Good job, Harry.”
Urthuk: “Very well. So mote it be.”
The magic swirling about Harry’s arm finally arcs away to strike back into Harry’s chest and the seal of the Goblin nation on the front of Urthuk’s desk. There is a moment of quiet as all the room’s residents await some sort of reaction.
Harry: (Burp)
Urthuk gives Harry a squinty look.
Urthuk: “Cast a spell.”
Harry: “Lumos.”
A light brighter than daylight emits from the tip of Harry’s wand.
Harry: “Nox. I’d swear that was brighter than usual.”
Moony: “But acceptable in any case, correct?”
Urthuk: “Correct. Griphook!”
The small goblin from earlier enters the office and bows sharply.
Urthuk: “Take Mr. Potter and his counsel to the vaults. He is allowed full access to the Trust vault. See that nothing of value is taken by them from the Potter family vault. Return them here when they are finished.”
As Harry and Moony leave the office to follow Griphook back up to the public area of the bank, Harry brings Moony’s ear down to his height by pulling on Moony’s sleeve.
Harry: “I don’t need that freezing hex anymore.”
Moony smirks.
Moony: “Thought not.”
After much walking and an exciting cart ride through what seemed to be miles of mining tunnels, Griphook brings the cart to a stop in front of a great iron door with a single key hole and no handle.
Griphook: “Your primary key is in the hands of your guardian. We will be using our spare. Should you need access to this vault again, you will need to get your original key from your guardian or pay to have new keys forged. As you are weak, I will also mention that a blood sample will be needed to make a new set of keys.”
Harry: “Open the door.”
Griphook turns towards the door, inserts a small bronze key in the lock and turns it. Multiple locks can be heard tumbling open. Upon opening the door, Harry sees a room half the size of a Hogwarts dorm, at the center of which is a small stack of golden coins.
Griphook: “Current contents amount to 23,448 galleons. Do you wish to withdraw any?”
Harry: “Umm...”
Moony: “He doesn’t need your help. Harry, take what you need. Anything the goblins do for you is done for a fee. I’m sure you can find a way to manage this.”
Harry pulls out a small satchel, originally given to him by Prof McG over the summer.
Harry: “Accio vault contents.”
All the coins and not a few spider webs and dust piles are drawn into the satchel.
Harry: (Cough, cough) “Maybe a little overboard...”
Moony: (Cough) “Yes, but it’s done. Let us continue.”
The three travellers get back into the mine cart, which snaps up to speed quickly under Griphook’s guidance. Another nerve-wracking cart ride ends in front of a much larger set of double-doors, this one emblazoned with a 12 -foot tall scrollwork letter ‘P’.
Harry: “What do we have here?”
Griphook: “What do you wish to know?”
Harry: “How much to give me fair warning before going in?”
Griphook: “Three galleons.”
Harry gives Griphook 5 galleons.
Harry: “For this fee, I would like you to explain how I should conduct myself in this situation to stay out of trouble.”
Griphook: “Agreed. This is the vault of your family. Senior Accountant Urthuk has granted you access to view the contents but not to remove anything from it of value. You may take incidental paperwork, but no coins, raw metals, bound books, weapons, jewelry or enchanted items may be taken from it at this time. Our wards will know as you exit the doorway whether you have taken something you shouldn't. Your access to this vault has been granted based upon your status as last of the line. Once you reach your majority you may make financial decisions about its management. You will be granted full access upon reaching your adult status or when you have produced a rightful heir. Don’t countersign anything until you know what it means.”
Harry: “Moony?”
Moony: “What Griphook means is that you won’t get full access until you’re recognised by the Wizengamot on your 21st birthday or you marry and have a son. A daughter might do- you’d have to check the House of Potter charter to see whether inheritance follows both genders, but usually not. The last bit is just good sense.”
Harry: “Oh. Okay. I think I’m ready. For simplicity, I doubt I’ll want to take anything out of it anyway.”
Moony: “That would be prudent.”
Griphook grabs Harry’s wrist and drags him up to the center of the doors, indicating Harry should place his palm on the oval stone at the center. Doing so, a brief flash is seen, and then the great doors begin to open. Within, everything is dark.
Harry: “Griphook, a little help with the lighting?”
Griphook: “One galleon.”
Harry tosses the coin towards the goblin who snatches it from the air with the speed of a Quidditch Seeker.
Harry: “Are you overcharging me?”
Griphook: “Yes. Activate sconces.”
Torchlight flares to life surrounding the chamber from 16 separate wall sconces placed around the room. With the light fully in effect, Harry and Moony take a look around at the contents of the Potter Vault.
Harry: “I don’t understand.”
Moony: “It’s all paper.”
Moony reaches down to pick up a parchment laying on the floor.
Moony: “This is a certificate for 40,000 shares in a magical flying carpet corporation, dated 23rd November, 1982.”
Harry: “Aren’t flying carpets banned in Britain?”
Moony: “Yup.”
Harry: “Griphook, is there a way to get an assessment of the current value of the contents of this vault?”
Griphook: “Two galleons for the answer.”
Harry: “Fine.”
After Griphook pockets the two coins, he smiles.
Griphook: “You may have the clerk of courts evaluate the paperwork for review of contracts to look for improprieties, but at this time, there is no value in this vault. Except perhaps as insulation or kindling.”
Harry: “No... value. Griphook how is the Trust vault sustained?”
Griphook: “One galleon.”
Harry: “I’d ask to run a tab but I doubt my funds will hold out.”
Griphook: “You’re not as dumb as most. Your Trust vault is renewed to a level of 50,000 galleons every 1st of August from the contents of this vault. As this vault is in arrears, you have been refilling the Trust vault from a modest loan for the last 8 years, interest set at a forgiving 3 percent, compounded monthly.”
Harry: “If I were to put the money from the Trust vault back into this one...”
Griphook: “We can process that request for a 1 percent handling fee, as you do not have financial control of this vault yet. As it stands, your Trust vault will be replenished with additional loans until you have the authority to change that arrangement and order it so.”
Harry loses his balance and slumps to the floor, emptying his stomach onto the cold stone floor. Griphook’s smile widens.
Moony: “Harry, are you...?”
Harry: “It’s the situation, Moony. Griphook, I’d like to close this up and return to the Senior Accountant’s office now.”
Ten minutes later finds Harry and Moony once more in the office with Urthuk.
Harry: “How in the HELL did my family fortune get spent while no one was alive to authorise it?”
Moony: “A moment please, Urthuk.”
Moony drags Harry back to a corner of the office and casts Muffliato.
Moony: “I think I know how you feel, but ranting at them isn’t going to get you anywhere. In fact, it...”
Harry: (seething) “What?! ‘It...’ what?”
Moony: “Well, I would compare it in your situation to offering your rapist a hand job. Griphook’s smile down in that vault made it clear to me.”
Harry begins to look on the verge of a breakdown, and then schools his features into a mask of deadly calm. Moony cancels the spell and the two return to their seats in front of the desk.
Harry: “Let me say that differently. You knew what had been going on with the Potter account and were happy to see me suffer in the discovery. Aside from entertaining you, I want to know why you would risk a new goblin war over this. Surely you had to consider what the public and the Ministry will say when they discover that the goblins have embezzled all the money of the ‘boy-who-lived’? What is it you want?”
Urthuk looks surprised.
Urthuk: “Your family account has been guided by several of our investment clerks during your absence. Many families of the Wizengamot profited greatly in the business arrangements handled by those same clerks made over the years. If our representatives have not been able to service your account as successfully, I do ...apologise.”
Harry sat back without emotion, waiting for Urthuk to continue. Urthuk raised an eyebrow.
Urthuk: “You do not seem to be upset by this, but you are. Perhaps I can offer something to help you out.”
Harry: “Yes. My rising debt to you is of great concern to me. What did you have in mind?”
Urthuk: “To put it simply, we’d like... to meet your sister.”
Harry: “What?”
Urthuk: “Your sister, Holly Evans. We’d like you to bring her here to Gringott’s, and then leave. She may be partly responsible for your current fortunes, or lack thereof. It would be only just revenge for you to allow us to ...meet with her. With your signed agreement to put her in our custody, we would be... pleased to go over the paperwork in your vault. I’m sure our review would uncover language to restore some of what you once had.”
Harry: “Some. How much?”
Urthuk grins at Harry’s question.
Urthuk: “I see you have a goblin mind in the matter. I’m sure we can arrange for as much as 40% of your lost fortune to be restored to you. You need only bring her here and sign over her life as the Head of her House. I can have contracts drawn up by Thursday. This ...is a delicate matter and requires careful research. We wouldn’t want to expose either of us to accusations of impropriety. I would have had the paperwork started, but your reputation led me to believe you would react in a more ...noble aspect.”
Harry: “I barely know the girl. If she is responsible for my lost fortune, I say fuck her.”
Moony gasps.
Moony: “Harry, no! What are you talking about?”
Harry: “Professor Oatmeal, I will handle this.”
Urthuk: “So, we have a deal then?”
Harry: “Not yet. I will take time to consider this. I’m not permitted free movement as you may have guessed, so I need time to plan. Why is it you want her?”
Urthuk: “It is of no concern of yours, except that we do. If it is any consolation, we do not intend for her to suffer needlessly.”
Harry: “That is comforting.”
Harry sat back, looking downward in thought.
Harry: “One other thing occurred to me. If I am her Head of House as you say, are her assets within Gringott’s under my control?”
Urthuk sits back in his throne-like carved-wood chair.
Urthuk: “She does not bank with us. She has only the rights to the Evans box, though we have yet to inform her of it. To encourage your consideration, I would be willing to release it to you. As you are the second inheritor, it will fall to you eventually.”
Harry: “What’s in the box?”
Urthuk’s face changes so that he appears quite frustrated.
Urthuk: “I ...don’t know.”
Harry: “Well, if I take the box, will I be able to open it?”
Urthuk: “I don’t ...know.”
Harry: “Well, let’s give it a try then. I’ll take the box and send you my answer in a few days’ time.”
Urthuk: “Griphook. Bring the Evans strongbox.”
Minutes later, Griphook returns carrying a nearly smooth steel box with no discernable seams, 6x6x18 inches. Burn marks and scars are etched across the surface on all sides.
Urthuk: “If you will sign this acknowledgement, you may take the box and we can part company for the day. Consider our offer carefully Mr. Potter. Your debts are accumulating quickly.”
Harry took the offered quill and began to scratch an ‘H’ into the space at the bottom of the simple receipt statement when a similar scratch appeared on the back of his hand.
Harry: “What the...!”
Urthuk: “Thank you, Mr. Potter. That will do. Griphook, escort them out.”
Harry and Moony suddenly find themselves surrounded by eight fully armed and armoured goblins, two of which pull them from their chairs and frog-march them out of the office, following Griphook as he leads the group back to the lobby. Once beyond the office area, Harry and Moony are released to travel under their own power.
Both: “Let’s get the fuck out of here!”
Transcription ends.

Transcription: 25th January, 1994 starting 6:11 PM

Moony and Harry have retired to a private room in the Leaky Cauldron to allow Harry to take Hermione’s Rehumanizing Draught. Pain has been twisting his stomach in knots as they made their way to the room, so Moony gives the vial to Harry the moment the door closes. Harry drinks it down and immediately falls to the floor. As he starts to twitch, Moony pulls off Harry’s cloak and tailored robe along with the quiver that holds many things and places them on the bed. After five minutes of painful convulsions, Harry shifts back into Holly and begins spewing her stomach contents in a hastily-conjured trashbin. After a minute, new convulsions wrack Holly’s body. She begins to squirm in untold pain, erupting in a halo of fire around her body. Newt jumps off to scurry into a corner and Moony cannot hold her as the fire burns away clothes, skin and hair, scorching the wood floor. Finally, Holly expels a large collection of eggs and fluid from her vagina and the fire surrounding her begins to flicker out. A few minutes later the heat dies down to where Holly is approachable once more. Moony wraps her in a blanket from the bed and holds the now bald and raw-skinned sobbing girl as she rocks back and forth in his arms.
Holly: How m-many eggs?
Moony: What?
Holly: How many ...eggs are there?
Moony: Why do you want to know?
Holly: HOW MANY DAMN EGGS, WOLF? Count them ALL! Even the LITTLE ONES!
Moony: Oh...uh...umm...
Holly: Oh, God! Just tell me how many...
Moony: Fifty-one! There are ...fifty-one eggs here, Holly.
Holly: (quietly) Thank you. Thank God. Thank you.
Moony: Holly, why ...why is this important? T-to you.
Holly: (sobs) Some scientists say thaaat (sniff) a woman has the core of all her eggs in her as she reaches her menarche. 1 egg per month, for forty years or so until menopause. I have already expelled 42 eggs, add another 51 more, and I should still have nearly 400 or so chances to have a real child.
Newt: (squeak)
Holly: Yes, I love you my little Newt, but if I can't be a human mother, perhaps I'm not a human anything anymore, and Hermione's potion was just a kind gesture. That's why it's important.
Moony drops to his knees next to Holly and grabs up the prone girl in a comforting embrace, pulling her onto his lap.
Holly: What kind of Hell have I earned for myself? How did I earn it?
Holly sobs a little in exhaustion but stays in the hug until she falls quiet. Moony then picks her up and gently places her in the bed, tucking the covers around her with care. Moony pulls out his wand.
Moony: "Evanesc..."
Holly suddenly kicks out her leg to knock Moony's wand from his hand.
Holly: "Don't you fucking dare. If you don't know the Stasis Charm, then move them to a washbasin and cover them in tea-warm water."
Moony slowly walks around the bed to retrieve his wand from the floor and pick up the washbasin.
Moony: "My apologies, Holly. Accio Holly's eggs. Tempus Adversor."
Moony sets the basin on the vanity. Moony takes another sad look at Holly and then leaves the room, closing the door behind him gently. Holly keeps staring at the door until she finally falls asleep.
Newt hops onto Holly's head, which is beginning to grow back her burgundy locks at an accelerated rate. After wandering about for a few minutes checking the healing process, Newt hops off Holly to return to the safety of the journal and scribe.
Transcription ends.

Love,
~Newt~


*

Transcription: 26th January, 1994 starting 5:38 AM
Holly is standing naked in her room in the Leaky Cauldron in front of the dresser mirror, staring at her reflection.
Holly: "Newt, please describe what I'm seeing here, just so I know I'm not going batty, alright?"
(Mum is standing in front of the dresser mirror in her room at the Leaky Cauldron. She stands just under 5' 2" tall, but probably 8 1/2 to 9 stone. Mum now has a nearly invisible spread of body hair, mostly on her forearms, but also has a patch of deep burgundy slightly curly hair where her legs meet. The scars of her battles remain, including the deep bite marks from the Basilisk on her right shoulder and right side and of course, the Scar on her forehead. Her well-toned muscular body is accentuated by a narrow waist with a defined abdomen, wide hips and equally wide, strong shoulders. Her form is now balanced out by full C-cup breasts tipped by cinnamon areolae that nearly match her straight waist-length burgundy hair. Her left breast is very slightly less round than the right one, but just as enticing, I'm sure. Overall, Mum looks to have matured fully into her body. She looks like she may be in her late teens, physically.)
Yes, Mum. I think the breast fairy hit you with a corker. May I climb atop your mounds and slide for a bit?
(Mum read what I wrote and is now rolling on the floor, holding her new breasts in her arms and laughing to the point where she's crying. Oh wait, she is crying.)
Oh, Mum.
(After a bit Mum stops her tears and sits up to read what I've written)

Holly: "It's alright little Newt. I was just set off kilter there. Every time I turn around, my body is doing a number on me."
(Mum stands up and then starts to grab her clothes but then stops. She stands up in front of the mirror again with her eyes closed for several minutes. Her expression becomes angrier, and then suddenly she reshapes into Harry.)
Harry: "Newt, again, describe what we're seeing, would you?"
(Harry is 5' 5" tall, 10 stone lean with almost no body fat. His hair is a messy nest of black tufts that stick out, leaving the Scar prominent at the center of his forehead. He has a narrower face and is actually paler in skin tone, but with the same eyes. Harry's body hair is limited to a small patch around his genitals and a light dappling over his legs and forearms, though the darker hair makes it appear more prominent than Mum's. Despite being taller, Harry doesn't appear to be mature yet. With a shake of his head, Harry turns back into Holly.)
Holly: "Well, that's certainly easier than becoming Harry."
(Mum stares in the mirror again for a while before walking back to the bed. She puts on the clothes left behind by Dobby this morning; Lycra bike shorts under black jeans and a black ribbed long sleeved top. She doesn't bother with her nipple-hiding bandeau, as it won't fit around her chest anymore without looking like a belt is tightened over her breasts. Mum sits down at the desk to review the journal notes again and activates her quilltip finger, filling it with ink from the complimentary inkwell at the desk.)
Transcription ends.


Thank you again, Newt. You did well.
The goblins are not my friends, but I have absolutely no idea why they want me so badly. Suffice to say, I will never again enter Gringott’s as Holly. Even if their blood sample from today didn’t match mine, I’m fairly sure very little of the Ministry’s authority would hold them back from snatching me. All I’ve ever done is walk in and trade some galleons for pounds sterling. Whatever the reason may be, they didn’t know it when I visited this summer, and yet they want me now. I asked about Evans resources thinking that they might need me clear entry to a vault or something, but instead they practically gift-wrapped the strongbox to give to Harry, expecting I would never see it that way.
I think I’ll have to engage the Headmaster’s attention sooner than I wanted to. Everything the goblins said leads me to believe that all the banking fun was done without his knowledge- all he's had access to is my Trust account. I probably should have left some funds in there. That way it would take longer for him to notice things have changed. On the other hand this is probably the last cash I can expect to receive in this lifetime, unless I can sort out what the goblins want and get it to them without dying. What a mess.
As for my new body...
For sure I won't be able to wear my Princess-selected gown anytime soon without several yards of alterations. My pants still fit if a bit tightly, but my tops are going to be leaving my breathing constricted and my belly exposed for the foreseeable future. Yet somehow, I am completely unmotivated to find new clothing at the moment. I keep wanting to run back to the castle to show Hermione our new gifts, but I also realise that my days of anonymity are well over. Boys from every house will be bowing their heads to me, particularly today. I don't have any other clothes than what Dobby brought which was fairly skin tight already, and I'm getting hot just looking at myself in the mirror. I think I may prove out the metaphor of the nipples so hard they can cut glass.
Hmm.
Newt, I'm going to rest a little longer here in the room before I present myself to Mr. Wolf or any of the other huddled masses. I need to clear my mind in the worst way, and if anyone gets to masturbate to my new body I think I should get to go first (assuming Moony hasn't beat me to it- ha!). No transcriptions, little perv!
Oh, and you're welcome, Professor. Just like visitors to my head, I choose what filters to apply here in the journal.

Holly

*

Transcription: 26th January, 1994 starting 7:02 AM
Holly is clothed as described before, holding the Evans box under her arm as she knocks on the door to Moony’s room. Moony opens the door but loses all expression once he sees Holly. Holly pushes past him into the room.
Holly: “I think we need to see what this box holds. It may be the only thing there is to make these last hours worth the living.”
Moony remains standing at the door facing the hallway.
Holly: “Yes, the only thing worthwhile that we’ve found, ASIDE FROM MY BREASTS!”
Moony turns around and closes the door quickly, his face still frozen in shock.
Moony: “You... were... (gulp) different, when I left you last night.”
Holly: “Yes, Moony. I heal quickly. It’s a habit born of repetition. I think Hermione deserves a medal for her potions work, as I also no longer need to use undiluted cider vinegar for douche anymore. Can we concentrate on the box, now?”
Moony: “I wouldn’t lay odds either way.”
Holly: “Is that a real response or are you having flashbacks to yesterday?”
Moony: “How ...have you adjusted so quickly to your situation? Most people would be, oh I don’t know, mental, from all you’ve had to take in.”
Holly: “Occlumency (when properly learned) gives great emotional control and the opportunity to shunt heavy emotional burdens into isolation for later sorting. I am in survival mode. I’ll freak later when I can apply the energy to safer pursuits than destroying London. Let’s get this open.”
Moony: “Food first. No doubt we both could use the protein.”
Breakfast was ordered and delivered, prompting an extended leer from the young delivery man that allowed Moony to forego a tip. After an hour of fiddling and flipping, they come to a realisation.
Holly: “The only way the goblins couldn’t get into this thing is if it were locked in a way they can never unlock. Mum had a paper submitted to the UPQ related to blood wards. I’ll bet that’s how she set this one.”
With a flick of her left forefinger along the sharpest edge of the box, Holly opens a cut which she proceeds to smear over the faint ‘Evans’ name etched in scrollwork on the side they had decided must be the top. The letters begin to glow faintly red until they fade once more, and the box pops open. Within are several parchments.
Moony: “Well done. What did she leave for you?”
Holly: “This... is the deed to 106 Matchstick Court, Godric’s Hollow. This is a notarized statement of taxes paid through the 12th December 2012 for said property. Why that date do you suppose, aside from the numerical fun of it?”
Moony: “Common practice for the Ministry Bureau for Property Management. Both the Ministry and the goblins have yet to discount the Mayan calendar calculations that plot the end of the world on that day. No one is expected to pay up front for anything beyond then.”
Holly: “This whole society has entirely too many loose marbles.”
Moony: “Nevertheless, your house is paid up.”
Holly: “Yes it is. Isn’t that the one that got wrecked?”
Moony: “The same. I don’t believe anyone has done anything for it, as you’ve owned the property ever since then.”
Holly: “Right. Also within we find a certificate of Charms Mastery for one Lily Eloise Evans, a certificate founding the common House of Evans, chartered through her Mastery, a.. what is this?”
Moony: “A bearer’s bond for 100,000 pounds sterling. Your fortune just doubled.”
Holly: “Don’t say that too loudly. And finally... an origami flower.”
As soon as Holly holds up the artfully folded paper, it leaps from her hand to float in front of her, refolding itself into a set of paper lips.
Voice of Lily Evans: "If you are listening to this letter, then I am gone. I have protected our house from the interference of the Ministry and the Goblins and all sorts of other powerful groups that can't seem to keep their fingers out of other people's pies. I would like for you to live, love and grow up free of the burdens of our corrupt society, but that world doesn't exist. Trust is the most valuable yet fragile thing; do not give your trust lightly. That being said, I have these instructions for you. You can trust Perenelle Flamel, wife of the unaging alchemist Nicholas Flamel. Don't trust Nicholas, necessarily, as he isn't all there, y'know? Write to her under her maiden name and she will send you a guide in how to protect your secrets. If this is Harry... I'm so sorry, baby. Learn the skills in the guide Perenelle sends you. Find someone you can trust- you can't travel this life alone. Teach that person from Perenelle's guide as well. I've left you one other legacy, in case everything else falls apart. You'll know where to look if you're clever enough. If this is opened by Harry's descendents, know that Perenelle also knows the secret, but seeing her is much harder than writing her. She hasn't lived this long by trusting people. You'll have to convince her of the earnestness of your request before she'll see you to allow you access to my legacy. My love flows to you, even if we've never met, because you are of my blood, and I can only pray that your character breeds true. Lily Evans Potter, 31st of July, Nineteen Eighty-one."
The paper folds back into a flower and floats down into the box. Everyone in the room has been left weeping at the voice of the departed leaving her last message.
Transcription ends.
Including me.
~Newt~


*

26th January, 1994

Minerva,
I just had a brief discussion with Moony over lunch about the past, the present and the possibility of my breasts becoming a news item. What's really interesting is that my shape changing has left me with a deeper realisation; it's just skin. Let them gawk. I'm happy to use my shapeliness to disarm the brains of every teen and adult male around me; I've been having fun all during this Sunday brunch just watching the watchers. Given my cash situation, I'm considering posing for Playwizard. That would certainly give people something to talk about. As long as they don't mind my scars, I won't mind their leers. For a price. You know I'm joking, right?
Anyway, Moony explained that whatever else may have brought him out of hiding, he was in my camp. He said, "Please just accept that my loyalties are first to the friends I lost and their child who survives. I have little power or authority that isn't loaned to me from Dumbledore, but I am not beholden to him anymore. Don't start trusting me, though. I don't feel ...worthy of it right now." I think he has some issues around how similar I look to my mum. That aside, I extracted a vow from him to ensure my secrets are kept. I'm not including it here so that you two won't start arguing because of 'vow envy'.

Transcription: 26th January, 1994 starting 12:23 PM
Holly and Moony are walking out of the Leaky Cauldron into London, heading down the alley to a discount clothing store nearby. Holly is walking ahead of Moony due to the narrow walkway.
Holly: "If the authorities drag me in front of a tribunal to ascertain whether I used Dark Arts to enhance my breast size, I assure you, it will be to participate in the inspection process. Don't you want to touch them?
Moony: "I...uhh...I'd like to defer that question until you're an adult."
Holly: "Yeah? Well, here's a preview!"
Holly turns around suddenly and grabs Moony's wrists, rotating them to place his hands on her breasts. Moony is startled, but instinct drives him to squeeze gently and growl before he can recover his senses and step backward. Holly is staring up at his eyes the whole time.
Holly: "It felt good to me, too. Shall we move on, or would you like to offer me more blackmail material?"
Moony: "Why is it you have such a power over me?"
Holly: "You're obsessed with my mother. At least you have good taste."
Moony: "You don't look like Lily. She was taller, for one."
Holly: "Option 1: I'm right. Option 2: You're perving on your student. Option 3: We drop the subject and you stop staring."
Moony: "Ah. Number 3."
Holly: "Brilliant. On second thought, let's get back to the castle before Professor Dumb figures out Harry has been let out of his cage. I'll worry about underthings another day. I need to see Hermione."
Moony smiles at the nickname for the Headmaster. They wrap into a hug and Moony apparates them to Hogsmeade.
Transcription ends.
At least, I think that's why he was smiling.

Love,
~Newt~


*

I have no comment at this time.
I have no comment at this time.
I have no comment at this time.
I have no comment at this time.
I have no comment at this time.

Transcription: 26th January, 1994 starting 1:17 PM GMT
Holly has quietly pulled away the curtains to Hermione's bed to find her sleeping there still in her school clothes. Holly kisses Hermione awake, but Hermione's warm smile turns into a look of fear as soon as she opens her eyes.
Hermione: "What are you doing?"
Holly: "Oh, I know. You probably need the rest but I've had the longest day and I absolutely needed to thank you! Look! It worked! I'm all...huuuuuman."
Holly glides her hands from her neck across her body and down to her hips as she twists in a playful seductive shimmy. Hermione is looking stunned.
Holly: "So...y'know. Thanks!"
Hermione: "You're welcome?"
Holly looks at Hermione with concern, sitting down at the edge of the bed. Hermione sits up and curls her legs up to her chest.
Holly: "Are you feeling alright? You had quite a shock yesterday and I know I didn't really have a chance to catch up with you after."
Hermione: "And now you're back. Ready to... pick up where you left off."
Holly: "Hermione, I have so much to tell you, most of it horrible. You're freaking me out. What's wrong?"
Hermione: "What's wrong? WHAT'S WRONG?!! I have been nearly unhinged for over a day and you come waltzing in here like ...like a courtesan dancer, ready to strip! What's wrong is you aren't a girl! What's wrong is we've been h-having s-sex and you were really a boy and now you want me to just go with it! What ISN'T wrong?!"
Holly: "Hermione, whatever is making this hard for you, we can work through it..."
Hermione: "NO WE CAN'T! This isn't a misunderstanding or miscommunication...what we thought was...wasn't!"
Holly: "But I need you in this, Hermione. I can't walk this road alone! You are my reason to keep struggling..."
Holly moves forward to hug Hermione.
Hermione: "You can't lay that responsibility on me! DONT TOUCH ME!"
Holly sits back slightly stunned with her arms still out before she wraps them around her waist nervously.
Holly: "I meant no harm, there!"
Hermione: "Holly, I ...I want you to Obliviate me!"
Holly: "Are you out of your mind, even asking ME for THAT?!"
Hermione: "I can't stand this, Holly...Harry...or whatever your name is...Uhn! This is so completely FOULED UP! Beyond ALL recognition! I can't...I can't..." (crying overcomes her attempt at speech)
Holly stands up from the bed and turns away from Hermione, discreetly drawing her short ashwood holdout wand in her left hand and holding it along her thigh.
Holly: "What ...specifically is unacceptable in your mind? If only because ...I need to know ...what to aim for."
Hermione: "Just (sniff) ...just remove the memory of the end of our Animagus session. Without that, I can let my mind work on how I feel after the Purging Draught. I have to be able to see you as just Holly, for a little longer. Please? Leave a password you can use to unlock it, and we'll be able to release the knowledge more carefully. I think the ...shock of it all just undid me. Please, Holly?"
Holly's face curls into a grimace of pain as she quickly brings her left arm up like a scorpion's tail to point at Hermione's head.
Holly: "OBLIVIATE! ...Holly can become a Raven Animagus. At the end of the Animagus experiment Harry Potter revealed himself to us all. You ran in embarrassment because he had seen our whole session, including us being naked. Holly and Harry have been absent for the last day as they spent time together as siblings. You have had some difficult feelings following this event and asked Holly to Obliviate you of a secret until you had yourself sorted. Passphrase: Klaatu Barada Nicotine."
Holly completes the spell with a twist downward of her wand, and then points the wand at Hermione once more.
Holly: "Somnus."
Holly pushes Hermione's limp body to lie fully on her bed and closes the curtains. Holly then sheathes her wand and storms off, heading to the common room and an isolated chair by the fire.
Transcription ends.

In case you're wondering, Perenelle's notes indicated that a strong memory being blocked might require the mind some time to percolate a solution, so she recommended having the subject sleep without interference. This Obliviation is such a bad idea. I'll give Hermione a day to sort out her head while I consider how to handle the possible outcomes. Don't get up in arms with me about this, Professor. She volunteered.

Holly

*

Minerva,
I had left Hermione alone for the day as promised, even sleeping in the other bed both nights to give her space. I swear every Dementor within a hundred leagues was hanging outside our dorm window last night, as I barely slept a wink but suffered with nightmares all the same. Hermione probably didn't fare much better, as she looked...she...
Just read.
Transcription: 28th January, 1994 starting 7:07 AM GMT
Holly and Hermione are sitting on Hermione's bed with the curtains drawn and Silenced. Both girls look fatigued and world-weary.
Hermione: "I ...I'd like to thank you for agreeing to Obliviate me, Holly. I think I have myself sorted out now, so if you want to undo the spell, I can see if whatever it was is still going to be a problem for us. I ...I want to wait until I've got the whole picture before I tell you what I've been thinking."
Holly sighs deeply and reaches a hand forward to touch Hermione's forehead, holding her wand in her other hand.
Holly: "Saints and angels preserve us in the hour of our need. Klaatu Barada Nicotine."
Hermione cannot suppress her smile.
Hermione: "Hee hee! That's quite the contrast! I thought you..."
Hermione's face falls into a daze as her mind begins to unlock the memories and related thoughts that troubled her so deeply for the last few days. Holly stares into Hermione's eyes with an expression of hope and concern, but doesn't attempt to intrude on Hermione's thoughts. After a few minutes, Holly sits back on her elbows to wait for Hermione to finish sorting her thoughts. Twenty minutes have passed when Hermione blinks, tears falling easily from both her eyes, and she lets her head drop. Holly sits up to embrace her friend, but Hermione puts up a hand to hold her back and sobs for a moment.
Hermione: "Holly, I ...umm ...I think I understand now. To help you see it, I'd like to ask you a question or two."
Holly: "Hermione, please, you're freaking me out. What do you see? What do you understand?"
Hermione: "Holly, I didn't start to like you in ...that way until this summer after you used Legilimency on me. My sexual feelings for you grew the longer we were in contact in bed. After we ...came together, my desire for you grew very strong. Now that I have gone through the Purging Draught, I ...I don't feel that way. At all. Is it possible, given what I've just told you, that the only reason we have had sex together is that you, and your magic, wanted me to want you? That you used Legilimency to plant the seed of desire and used your Parseltongue techniques to reinforce that desire in me?"
Holly: "I...never..."
Hermione: "And isn't it also possible, now that you realise that you're really a boy under your girlish exterior, that your attraction for me is based upon his feelings and desires? You may not be a lesbian at all, Holly. I know that I am not. I do love you dearly as a friend and confidant, but I am doing the best thing I can imagine for the sake of that friendship, which is to tell you the truth. I'm ...not in love with you. I don't think I ever was. Somewhere deep inside, I may be in love with Harry, but I won't insult you by suggesting that 'we can continue to be close if you'll just be Harry from now on'. I know that makes this hard, but I can't see any other way to handle this. Think of it as a strange season, or Dementor-induced madness. Just ...don't pursue me anymore, please?"
Holly sits, stunned. Holly's eyes flick back and forth for a minute before settling back. Holly's expression drops into a mask of non-feeling.
Holly: "I promise I will no longer attempt to seduce you."
Hermione: "Thank you, Holly. Whew! You don't know how much I've been dreading this conversation..."
Holly: "Obliviate......Holly can become a Raven Animagus. At the end of the Animagus experiment Harry Potter revealed himself to us all. You ran in embarrassment because he had seen our whole session, including us being naked. This evening you apologised for freaking out and explained to Holly that you can't be intimate with her anymore. Holly asked if you would at least still give her your unbelievable hugs and you said you'd ...think about it. (Sniff). You ...gave Holly the Time Turner to provide the opportunity for her to bond with Harry. You will cancel your participation in Muggle Studies and enough other classes so that you won't need the Time Turner to attend them. Somnus. Silencio."
Hermione drops to the bed in slumber once both spells strike her head. Holly rearranges Hermione's body so that she is lying comfortably. Holly's mask drops and immediately her face is a grimace of heartbreak. Holly begins to let out a whine that turns quickly into a full-throated scream, an ascending wolf-like howl of pain and tortured anguish lasting for 13 painful minutes, only heard within the curtains of Hermione's bed. Once Holly's voice cracks and she finishes sobbing, she carefully removes the Time Turner from around Hermione's neck and puts it around her own. Holly moves off the bed and to the doorway of the dorm room, turns back and points her wand at Hermione's bed.
Holly: "Finite."
Holly turns and leaves as the sound of Hermione slowly waking from her spell-induced slumber can be heard from behind her disenchanted curtains.
Transcription ends.

Just an end-note, Professor. After I cast my spells, I could already see the lines of anguish easing from my ...former ...lover's face. I thought of adding in some line like 'you love Holly like a sister, but your heart wasn't in it and you didn't want to deceive her anymore', but I didn't want to take away her choices in how to define our relationship. She'll come up with her own reasons to keep her distance. Or maybe, despite it all, she won't. Maybe Hermione will come back to me someday.
I expect that you're going to want to talk about this in my next ethics detention. Fine. Don't expect me to be sorry. To avoid any other ethical dilemmas I'm going to skive off classes for the day. I can't predict how I'd react to anyone right now, but hopefully I'll have my mind resorted by this evening. In the meantime I'm going to cry for a while. The last cry, if I have a say in it. I'm not guilty of anything except loving her, but deep down she thinks I'm a criminal, just like everyone else. Well, that's fine. Maybe I am a criminal but I'm through playing a marionette. I just need to find where the strings are attached, and cut them.

Holly

*


Transcription: 28th January, 1994 starting 7:41 PM GMT
Holly and Minerva are situated in Minerva's office for the nightly 'ethics detention'. Newt has been swimming in the full tea service, and so missed the first half of the conversation. Newt begins to pay attention as the volume of the discussion grows to an unusual level.
Minerva: "Holly, she's just fourteen! I can hardly believe how well she's stood up to all the challenges being your friend has already thrust upon her! She may be the smartest witch I've seen since your mother, but Hermione's all of fourteen and she's nearly died, what, four times already? Give the poor girl a break!"
Holly: "I don't get a break!"
Minerva:"Believe it or not, that does make it easier to shoulder the burden. It plays out similarly with those who die early of illness; they are able to reconcile the situation much more readily than their loved ones. And make no mistake; Hermione does love you, she wouldn't have been suffering if she didn't."
Holly: "Well she's not suffering anymore! I can no longer justify trusting her in this. Things just became ...incredibly complicated, like we discovered the eighth dimension or something, and I either have her to rely on or I don't!"
Holly's stern expression melts into a grimace of painful realisation. Holly starts crying as she loses her balance and slumps to the floor next to Minerva's desk.
Holly: "Oh God! I can't lose her like this...not now!"
Minerva quickly rises from her chair to stoop down and put her hand on Holly's shoulder.
Minerva:"It is right that you should mourn this. Let it out. Why is it you almost seem angry?"
Holly: "Because I said before I wasn't going to cry anymore!"
Minerva:"If you can't cry with me after all this, who would you cry with?"
Holly: "With HER-r-r-r-r (SOB)"
Minerva ungracefully plops down next to Holly on the floor of her office and hugs the crying girl's head to her chest warmly. Holly continues to sob and cry for another hour. Eventually Holly's anguish abates, and she reaches up to hug Minerva, then stands up and offers a hand to her mentor. Minerva accepts the aid in bringing her old bones back to standing, then cups Holly's face in her hand and gives Holly a prim smile. Holly returns her smile with a bare upturn at the corner of her tightened mouth.
Holly: "I have a bit of paperwork to finish here."
Minerva: "I'm sorry? What are talking about?"
Holly pulls out her wand and presents it forward, tip pointed towards the heavens
Holly: "By my magic, Minerva McGonagall please accept me as your Godchild, so I may grow with your guidance and learn by your wisdom. So mote it be."
Minerva smiles warmly and picks up her wand from her desk.
Minerva: "By my magic, Holly Evans I accept the responsibility and the pleasure of becoming your Godmother. So mote it be. Thank you for trusting me to help."
The magic swirling around Holly's wand turns a deep blue and arcs out to strike both Holly and Minerva in their respective hearts. Holly's expression darkens as she leans onto her Godmother's desk seeming fatigued.
Holly: "You are the best person I know who's still talking to me. Of course, I have few left to choose from."
Minerva: "I have a feeling Albus will know things are afoot, now. Holly, I know this is a ...difficult time for you..."
Holly: "HA!"
Minerva walks around back to sit at her desk chair and starts rummaging through drawers, eventually drawing out a colorfully-striped page of parchment.
Minerva: "Yes, well I'd like to bring in someone that might be able to help you with handling these unusual circumstances. I think you'll like her; she's younger and..."
Holly: "Don't ...push. I'll meet this person. If it makes sense, we'll talk. I have to tell you though, I'm finding it harder and harder not to reflexively skim people's thoughts just to ensure my own safety. If your friend gets easily offended, you may as well not bother."
Minerva: "Actually she's a former student."
Holly: "Isn't one fourth of the British Wizarding world 'a former student' of yours?"
Minerva: "Yes, well I suppose that isn't much of a distinction after all. Tomorrow you'll have your 'detention' with her in the Transfiguration classroom. Get some rest, Holly."
Newt quickly jumps onto Holly's arm as she moves to leave. Holly moves to the door but stops halfway out to turn back and look at the Professor, somewhat sadly.
Holly: "Thanks... Mum."
Transcription ends.

*
Sign up to rate and review this story