Categories > Anime/Manga > Inuyasha > A Metamorphosis of Bleeding Hearts

Chapter 6: Learning From Proximity

by ellyse_the_silent 0 reviews

Is there really a place in the world for a half daemon boy haunted by his past and mocked by his future? Alternate Universe.

Category: Inuyasha - Rating: R - Genres: Angst, Drama, Romance - Characters: Inuyasha, Kagome - Warnings: [!!] [?] [R] [V] [X] [Y] - Published: 2006-04-06 - Updated: 2006-04-06 - 2171 words

0Unrated
Chapter 6: Learning From Proximity

by: ellyse the silent

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

"You can come to my house."

(K-pov)

There he was again, Dr. Jackal and Mr. Hyde. I stared. "Your house?"

"Well it's my Okasan's house actually. She'll be there and you can have the guest room and... stuff..." He trailed off.

The side of my mind that was still mad at him for causing me to embarrass myself told me he was not to be trusted. The side of my mind that liked him told me to go for it. After all, his Okasan would be there right?

Well what were my other options? Try calling Sango on her cell. No way in hell I was talking to her right now. Plus she was probably not going to answer anyway. Call my Okasan?

Ha! I could imagine myself trying to explain why Sango had driven off without me. Okasan had never liked Sango much anyway. There was no way I could chance this on her. Go home and hope one of the doors or windows were unlocked?

Ojii-san had an obsession with burglars; there was no way he left that house without double checking every window and door. Go to another friend's house? They were all at the party I had just left and I really didn't think they would be good company right now anyway.

"Your Okasan is really there?" I asked sceptically.

"Yeah, really," He answered.

"Promise?"

He rolled his eyes, "Promise." He led the way back around the school building and out onto the street. We were going down my street I realized. He led me up to a house hidden behind the wall of our property.

"I didn't know there was even a house here." I mumbled as Inu-Yasha fished his keys out of his pocket.

"It has always been here." He pushed open the door. "Okasan?"

"In here Yash," a musical voice called from further back in the house. A petite grey haired woman came around the corner. "You sound like you could use some ramen. Did something bad happen-" she had froze when she had caught sight of me. "Shiro Inu-Yasha Yukio Kalb Gin!"

Inu-Yasha winced beside me. "Did you really have to say them all?"

"Inu-Ya-"

"Hi, I'm Higurashi Kagome." I interrupted her.

The lady smiled a little nervously. "Oh? From the shrine?"

"Yeah that's me," I bit my bottom lip as I made an on the spot decision. "Can I use your phone to call my Okasan?"

"Oh," she relaxed visibly, "Sure Higurashi-san, it's in the kitchen. By the way, I am Heiwa Kaede, Inu-Yasha's mother."

"Nice to meet you." I said trying to smile, look pleasant, and think of a good excuse to tell my Okasan all at the same time.

Inu-Yasha followed us. "Kag- Higurashi-san?"

I felt my stomach do a flip as he quickly corrected his use of my first name. "Yeah?"

"I thought your Okasan went to your aunt's house."

"Tadashii... but you know... I think maybe there is a key somewhere I don't know about... you know..." I picked up the phone and dialled my aunt's number.

"Okasan, can I talk to you for a sec?" Inu-Yasha asked from behind me. I heard them leave the room.

"Mou!" My aunt's voice answered the phone, "What is it?"

"Uh... this is Kagome. Is Okasan there?" I faltered.

"Yeah, I'll get her." The phone made a strange sound as if it was dropped onto a table.

A few moments later my mother snapped, "Kagome?"

"Hi Okasan," I answered.

She didn't even wait for me to finish, "What's wrong? Where are you? How was the party?"

I took a deep breath, "I lost my key. At a friend's. Good." Great, three lies right on top of each other.

"So you want me to come home to get you is that it?" She sounded highly annoyed.

"Well... what-"

She interrupted me, "Can't you stay at your friend's house?"

"Well..." I mumbled.

"Kikyo is taking me out tonight, you know how long it would take me to come back down and get you. You know Otousan can't drive. Kanna and Kagura are coming with us. Not to mention Naraku is working." My Okasan's voice was taking on a whiney tone.

I sighed, "Yeah Okasan, I can stay at my friend's. B-" The dial tone sounded before I could finish my sentence. "-ye" I stared at the phone for a second before slowly letting it drop into the cradle.

Where could I go? Kaede obviously didn't want me here and there was no way I was going to go to go to Sango's house. I blinked my eyes trying not to cry. Maybe I could camp out in the well house.

"Back to the original plan huh?" Inu-Yasha's voice reverberated through me along with the heat that radiated from him. I realized he was standing right behind me.

"Uh... actually I just remembered where we keep a spare key. I'll be going now. Thanks for everything." I mumbled.

His body blocked my path, "You suck at lying."

"Just let me go," I could feel the tears overflow.

He reached out for me and I didn't resist. I was enveloped in a world of heat and comfort. He was strong; I already knew that, and the few times I had seen him at the Kendo meets warming up without his shirt I had been struck by how perfect his body was. He held me now, against his chest, gently.

I could feel the purr come back and spread through my entire body; a low vibration full of comfort. I wrapped my arms around him and cried on his shoulder. The heat that his skin emitted, through his shirt and through mine, was comfortable and relaxing. I let my body go limp.

"I know what its like not to have anywhere to go." He purred into my ear. "Not to have anyone or anything at all."

I stopped crying and just stood there soaking up his understanding in his embrace.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

(I-pov)

I held Kagome close to me. I couldn't believe how soft I was getting. Maybe it was because she reminded me of Kaede with those big eyes and open heart. She had stopped crying and just clung to me. I caught Kaede's eyes over her black head.

She smiled nervously and lifted one eyebrow at my behaviour. Her first thought as to why I was bringing Kagome home was that she had somehow found out I was a Hanyou and was black mailing me or something of the sort.

After she had heard that her friend had gotten drunk and left her at the school she had realized her mistake. She was still right though; Kagome was doing things to me, things I didn't necessarily like.

"Want some ramen?" I asked.

"Ramen?" She pulled back to look up at me. Her face was streaked with black makeup and her eye's were red. She was still very pretty though.

"It's his favourite food." Kaede said from behind her.

Kagome stepped back and I dropped my arms. The moment was gone and she seemed to want to keep it gone. Like an isolated crystal moment in the sea of our relationship, a single snag in a kimono. Gah! Now I was waxing poetic. I shook my head to clear it and went to the ramen cupboard.

"I have to go to the bathroom." she mumbled rubbing her hand across her face.

"I'll get you some clothes." I said pulling out a cup of ramen and looking back at her.

She looked surprised for a moment and then nodded, "Thanks."

"The bathroom is over here." Kaede took her down the hall.

I went up to my room and dug around in my closet until I found what I was looking for. Just touching it sent a warm thrill up my arm. I folded it over my arm and went to go find Kaede.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

(K-pov)

My makeup was a wreck. I didn't care though, all that mattered was getting my body out of this ridicules dress. A knock on the door startled me. "Yes?"

"I have some clothes for you." Kaede's voice called from the other side of the door. I let my dress pool on the floor and walked over to the door in my slip. Kaede stood in the hall, a white and red roll of fabric in her hands

"Thanks Heiwa-san." I said accepting the bundle. She smiled and handed me the bundle and smiled at me, closing the door softly. I could hear her steps retreating down the hall.

I unfolded the roll of clothing; it was a white sheath tunic thingy with no sleeves. It looked like it would drag on the floor once I put it on. It was darted and gathered around my waist so it didn't make me look completely formless. The red thing looked like a haori. I looked at it for a second before realizing it seemed to be giving off warmth.

I let go of it and the feeling was gone. I knelt and held my hands over it but it wasn't radiating heat. I decided it must my imagination like Inu-Yasha purring. I pulled off my slip and pulled the white dress.

For a second I thought that I might have to put my slip back on but I couldn't see through the material at all. I picked up the haori and slipped it over my shoulders. It smelled like Inu-Yasha I realized, maybe that was why I felt enveloped by a heater.

I turned to the mirror and picked up a washcloth to clean my face. That being done I gathered up my slip and dress. I walked out the door and into the kitchen.

Inu-Yasha was eating ramen at the table and Kaede was sitting across him saying something. She stopped when I stepped into the doorway. I could have sworn Inu-Yasha had made a sign with his hand, but he hadn't looked up. I had been silent coming down the hallway.

"Kagome-san," Kaede turned around to look at me. "You look much better."

"Uh... thanks." I smiled. "Are you sure it's not too much trouble for me to stay here?"

Kaede stood up, "I'm sorry you got that impression when you came in. I jumped to a silly conclusion when I saw you two."

I didn't ask what the conclusion was, I had a feeling I didn't want to know. Inu-Yasha looked up and his eyes widened. I had left the haori untied so it swirled around my thighs. It felt weird to be dressed like this but it was also nice.

"Hungry?" She asked.

"Yes, a little," I answered, leaving my clothes by the door.

She moved to the refrigerator. "What is it like to live at a jinja?"

"Work," I muttered thinking of Ojii-san and his endless lists of chores.

Kaede grinned and handed me a plate of fried rice and egg. "I suppose it would be."

"It's really not all its cracked up to be though, I mean like a highway of blessing from Kami-sama just isn't realistic. Thanks," I said accepting the tempting looking plate. "He's not up in tengoku to be an instant wish granter or something." I accepted the chopsticks she offered. "Thanks, and sometimes the thing you want the most, or think you want the most, is deigned." My voice rose and I stabbed at the vehemently air with the chopsticks, "Like when Otousan left us, me and Ojii-san prayed for months that he would come back and be with Okasan like before. It didn't happen." I could feel the tears coming again as I studied the black polished chopsticks in my hand. "Otousan... hijo na Otousan."

Inu-Yasha moved then breaking the spell of anger at the past that hovered around me. It was this emotion packed night, I summarised. I stirred the fried rice around on my plate, suddenly not hungry.

He crushed the foam cup in his hands and dropped it in the garbage before turning to me. "Tired?" His voice flowed over me like warm chocolate.

I nodded, feeling my body sagging in my chair.

He came over and picked me up effortlessly, bridal style. "Relax." He murmured as I stirred against him, trying to get down. My body went limp at his command.

He carried me though the hall and up the stairs. Kaede followed behind him murmuring something that I couldn't hear. Inu-Yasha was purring again. I looked up into his eyes, they were gold, molten moving gold.

"Pretty gold eyes... so... sparkly..." I mumbled as I fell asleep in his arms. The purring didn't stop.

((A/N: Yay! A foreshadowing bit. :-) Thanks to Petpeeves12, my beta reader, who edited this chapter! I hope you enjoy it. Crazy week... I got into my collage I wanted to get into and set up my classes and wow! Everything when crazy. :-) Review!

Japanese key:
Otousan- father
Haori- formal coat
Jinja- shrine
tengoku- heaven
hijo na- heartless))
Sign up to rate and review this story