Categories > Cartoons > Avatar: The Last Airbender > Magma

Eruption 48

by Mikari 0 reviews

Eruption 48: Escapade

Category: Avatar: The Last Airbender - Rating: G - Genres: Drama,Romance - Characters: Zuko - Published: 2009-09-02 - Updated: 2009-09-03 - 1139 words - Complete

1Funny
Magma

Eruption 48: Escapade

Toph's new pixie made magical pendant was quite useful. All she had to do was say 'I love Lucky' and Zuko would transform into a cat. With the words 'I love Zuko,' he would once again become human. Currently, Toph was crossing the border of the Fire Nation, towards the port that would take her to the Bei Fong ship. Though Zuko could be easily hidden in his cat form, Toph was spotted and invited to ride in a carriage with an elderly lady, who was a famous artist, a favorite of her parents.

"The statues are coming out very nice, I'm enjoying this work so much. Thank you for riding with me, this gives me a chance to get a better look at you to represent you in the glass, it's not the same simply looking at a painting." The lady's name was Solava Alancia, known for the use of fire bending to craft artistic works in glass, ceramic and other such materials.

Toph laughed nervously, hoping she wouldn't be asked to pose, it would be considered rude to decline and she hated standing still. She was glad that her parents had come to be so proud of her after the war ended, but they didn't have to cover the Bei Fong Mansion in paintings and statues.

The statues were a little better at least, since Toph could actually look at them with her earth bending, and she had once ran her hands through a statue of Zuko made by Solava, finding the details to be amazing, and Toph knew how to identify him by tact very well. It was something that had always made Toph curious, and she would ask about it as she sat in the carriage with the black cat, who was secretly Zuko, cuddled on her lap. "Lady Alancia, you really put a lot of detail into your statues." For obvious reasons, Toph was not a huge fan of art in general, but sculptures were the exception and Alancia was her parent's favorite for a reason.

"Thank you," Solava smiled kindly, "I'll tell you my secret, it's not just about looking, it is about feeling. That's what I meant by getting a better look at you beyond what a painting could offer. I can sense your temperature, the heat of your body giving you shape; that is the true secret, to let the heat of the fire mimic the heat of your life and give the material shape."

"Then it's like seeing with fire, with temperatures." Toph became more interested upon hearing this, "it's the fire bender's version of what I do."

"Yes, you could say that, all the elements are connected, so there are more similarities than differences between them, that is what I believe. I must say, your talent is amazing. You mastered seeing through vibrations at such a young age, and not only that, but you also bend metal, you have for years now. It took me a very long time to learn to feel temperatures and use that to guide the fire, I rely on it now. When it comes to people, it is easy, their heat is clear, it stands out, but when it comes to objects I rely on the heat contained in the material from an alternate source, living beings near by and the sun. It took me a little longer to walk around without bumping into anything this way, but I have practiced enough to get around easily during the day for now, as long as the sun is up," Solava explained.

"You're training?" Toph inquired.

"Yes, I want to further master this ability so I walk around with my eyes closed at times, when no one is watching me. It helps me to concentrate on the temperatures around me," Solava replied.

"That's great," Toph never thought there would be a similar ability to feeling vibrations in the version of another element, but Alancia was right, all the elements were connected and similar.

"Ah, it seems we have reached the port. Will you be taking your ship or shall I help you and his majesty sneak away?" Solava smiled knowingly.

Toph was taken by surprise, "what do you mean?"

"Now dear, each person's energy flows differently, it is warm and unique, regardless of the shape. For you it should feel like a rhythm that is different for everyone, but the same for every one person regardless of how they grow, or shrink."

Toph was in shock and Zuko looked alert. "You knew," Toph concluded. "A rhythm, I'll have to master sensing that during our little vacation. What did you mean by helping me sneak out?"

"Quite simple, I was heading to see your parents about making more statues; you may send me away in your ship, saying that you will remain here. Then you can take my ship, it is much smaller than yours, which I believe will be more convenient for your purposes and you would avoid taking your ship's crew along. It wouldn't be an all out romantic escapade without escaping."

Toph laughed, "you're right about that, thanks Lady Alancia!"

xoxox xox xoxox

After sneaking out of the Fire Nation on Solava's ship, Toph and Zuko were free to enjoy their vacation, though they had not made any plans so far. Zuko had been transformed back into a human and was driving the ship; there was no other crew on the small vessel, just Zuko and Toph. "Is there anywhere you want to go?"

Toph thought about it, she couldn't come up with a specific place to visit, "I don't know, where do you want to go?"

There was a place Zuko had wanted to visit again for a while, a place that not many knew about. "Do you want to visit the dragons?"

"The ones that taught you how to dance? That sounds fun, I'm curious about them, but is it okay to just show up?" Toph asked.

"We'll be fine," Zuko assured. "Uncle went back to see how they were doing and said I should visit them sometime. He was sure I would be welcomed, the dragons were in a better mood after the world became peaceful."

"Then let's go," Toph was already enjoying her trip and she knew Zuko was too. Though she didn't particularly like water, she felt calm with Zuko, even with the soft movements of the waves gently rocking the small ship as it went along.

Zuko hugged Toph with one arm, keeping the other on the wheel. The horizon was calm and clear, the breeze was soft and refreshing. They had every reason to think this would be a quiet and peaceful vacation, but there was adventure waiting for them, and more trials to face.

To be Continued

Disclaimer, I don't own Avatar.
Sign up to rate and review this story