Categories > Cartoons > Avatar: The Last Airbender > Magma

Eruption 49

by Mikari 0 reviews

Eruption 49: Dragons

Category: Avatar: The Last Airbender - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama,Romance - Characters: Zuko - Published: 2009-09-25 - Updated: 2009-09-26 - 1064 words - Complete

1Ambiance
Magma

Eruption 49: Dragons

When Toph and Zuko arrived at the dragons' secret home, they were surprised that the caretakers were nowhere to be found. As they approached the mountain, Toph felt them on the summit. "Everyone is gathered there around something big... a dragon!" It felt unusual somehow.

Zuko wondered about it too, "is something happening?"

"I'm not sure, but the dragon is huge, I can feel the heartbeat and breathing rhythm but..."

"What is it?"

"I have a bad feeling, I would think I dragon's heart would beat stronger."

Zuko's face was filled with worry. What if one of the dragons was ill and what about the other one? He looked up the mountain and caught a glimpse of a dragon flying in impatient circles, that one wasn't touching the ground so Toph probably couldn't sense it. "I see the other dragon flying around, he looks worried. Let's hurry to the summit."

"I know how to get there faster then running!" Before Zuko could prepare himself, the ground moved up, climbing the mountain at amazing speed and carrying Zuko and Toph all the way to the summit in record breaking time.

The caretakers of the dragons tensed, noticing the new arrivals, but they relaxed when they recognized Zuko. "Fire Lord Zuko, you've come right on time, the hawk we sent to the Fire Nation to contact the noble Iroh came back to us without delivering the message, as if Iroh was nowhere to be found. I'm sure the hawk knows the way to the tea shop, he has delivered many messages before."

"My uncle is on a journey to gather new tea recipes," Zuko gave them the cover up story.

"I see, and this young lady here?"

Toph seemed to be focused on something other than the conversation and didn't quite catch it. Instead she stared at the dragon intently through her earth bending.

"This is Toph, she's my fiance," Zuko replied, noting Toph's look of deep concentration.

"That's wonderful news, congratulations! But I'm afraid we are not in the mood to celebrate right now. One of our dear dragons is quite ill and we don't know how to help her. Even her mate is in despair." The leader of the caretakers spoke with deep worry, "I know it is too much to ask, but please help us. I'm afraid we might not be able to contact Iroh and request his wisdom fast enough. We've heard rumors that he had been researching healing herbs as ingredients to tea some time ago and he came across a powerful recipe that was much too strong for a human. It would heal any illness, but at the cost of a dangerous fever. For a dragon, that kind of inner temperature is normal, we believe he might have stumbled upon a dragon healing potion, which we had been researching. If we unite our knowledge, surely we will be able to save her. I understand you have your duties, after all, the Fire Nation is without a ruler if both you and Iroh are out, but please take some time to help us locate him."

It was best if they didn't try to go to the Fire Nation for information, because it was not without a ruler, Iroh was there, but he didn't look like himself, which could only further complicate things if anyone got suspicious. Zuko never imagined the dragon tribe was in such close contact with the outside world, or relatively close. He had thought they would be more isolated like in the past, but more things than he imagined had changed after the end of the war. Zuko would have to be careful, but right now the dragon's safety was the priority beyond even the very important secrecy. "Yes, I'll contact uncle right away and-"

A roar pierced the air and everyone jumped in surprised alarm, except Toph, who appeared to be expecting it and had already covered her ears when it happened. The male dragon that was flying around became more frantic, tracing random patterns in the air. The female's tail trashed about and she growled at the humans that surrounded her in warning.

Soft comforting voices filled the silence after the roar's echo faded, "it's okay girl, we'll help you."

"Poor dear, she must be in such pain she doesn't recognize us, she had always been trusting to us before."

"Everyone get away from her!" Toph didn't wait for a reply before she used her earth bending to carry everyone down the mountain all the way to the base.

"Lady Toph what are you doing? She needs us!"

"Don't you see? What she needs is space, even her mate knows that. He knows better than to get in her way now," Toph argued.

Zuko was puzzled, "what exactly is going on? Can you tell somehow?"

A burst of flames was seen from the summit, as if the mountain were a volcano. "Because you were there and wouldn't give her any space, she was holding back. She'll be able to let out the pressure now." Loud crashes were heard and rocks rolled down the mountain, but Toph stopped them before anyone got hurt. "It's best if we go someplace else.

The group was confused, but they returned to the ruins at a safe distance from the mountain, where the leader urged, "please explain what's happening."

Toph smiled, "she's giving birth." She could imagine everyone's expressions at the revelation. "I felt the pressure in her body, holding back the extra fire and the need to move around. She didn't want to hurt anyone and the male was trying to tell you that it was best to give her some room, that's why he did too. Her heart started beating more strongly after we gave her some room, it slowed because everyone was all over her but she appreciated the concern and didn't want to push you away so she held all the pressure inside her, but she's finally let it out. I felt it, the second heartbeat, very faint and wrapped in something strong, probably the egg. She's not sick, she's having a baby."

A moment of silence passed as the information sank in, then the group was all cheers and happiness. The dragon didn't need medicine after all, she would be fine.

To be Continued

Disclaimer, I don't own Avatar: The Last Air Bender.
Sign up to rate and review this story