Categories > Anime/Manga > Pokemon > Lucian, M.D.

Almost dead

by GalacticFTW 1 review

Category: Pokemon - Rating: PG-13 - Genres:  - Published: 2009-10-02 - Updated: 2009-10-02 - 964 words

0Unrated
Chapter 75

“I’m bored,” I muttered a few hours later. “Hey Cadeyrn, are we almost there?” I hollered down to him.

“Another ten miles or so!” He replied.

“All right then…,” I muttered. Storic grumbled something I couldn’t understand, I just shrugged it off. I looked at Cynthia; she appeared to be sound asleep despite snow and wind whipping around us. Storic began to flap slowly. “Storic… are you OK?” I asked. He didn’t say anything and landed flat-faced into the snow below, causing Cynthia to wake up and us to roll off of him. I, too, landed flat-faced into the snow and ended up with a broken arm, I could tell because I heard it snap. Merick also fell off of him but he seemed to be OK because I didn’t hear him saying anything. “…Cynthia…,” I said weakly.

“…Yeah…?” She said gaspingly.

“…You OK…?” I asked while gasping.

“…I think so…,” she replied.

“Storic… are you still there?” I said weakly. He just grunted. “…Storic, just say something…”

“I…,” he gasped. “Can… barely… talk…”

“I… can barely… speak either…,” I gasped. I then saw a huge shadowy figure above me. “Cadeyrn… Suffolk…?” My vision was blocked by a flurry of snow.

“Yes, it’s me,” Cadeyrn replied.

“Help… before I faint. I broke my arm… help Storic… help Cynthia…,” I said while gasping. Cynthia said something but I didn’t catch it because I fainted…

…I woke up to see a horse leaning up against me. It was… nice and warm. I smiled and saw Cynthia. “Hey,” I said softly.

“Hey,” she replied.

“I broke your arm,” I said sorrowfully.

“Aww… it’s OK, it doesn’t matter, it’ll heal I suppose,” she responded.

“I’m glad you’re happy anyway… I hope to get out of this mess,” I looked Cadeyrn. I didn’t appear to be moving. “Cadeyrn?” I shook him. He didn’t move. I tried again and he still didn’t move.

“…He might be dead…,” she said forlornly.

“…Oh my God… he saved his life to keep us warm? And where’s Suffolk?” I looked around and saw Storic’s head just poking above the snow. He must’ve done that to keep warm. I got up to see if Cadeyrn really was dead. I touched his chest and just barely felt a heartbeat and barely heard any breathing. “Something’s blocking his airway… no wonder he looks dead,” I put emphasis on ‘dead’. I looked around again and also saw Merick huddling with Storic. “Um… would you think different of me if I tried to do CPR on a horse?” I looked at Cynthia.

She blushed a little, “of course not! It looks as if Cadeyrn really likes you! Go right ahead!”

I had just remembered. “Horses can’t vomit, and I have no idea if they can cough up anything if something’s stuck in their oesophagus…”

“You’re right…,” her face turned wan. I put my hand up to him and he started to turn cold.

“Got to do this right now!” I really wasn’t sure what to do. “Think I should start with CPR first?” I asked her.

She shrugged. “I suppose you could.”

I nodded and started to do CPR. No response what so ever. “He’s not responding…, I have to intubate, I guess… but how?” I had no tube to begin with and I had nothing to cut his throat with to even insert a tube. “I wish Flint was here! He’s the mammalogist; he knows more about horses than I do!”

“I agree… I do with he was here with us…,” she looked down at Cadeyrn’s barely-moving chest. “He looks terribly ill…,” she scowled.

We then heard a clopping sound coming. “You called?” It was Flint, on Suffolk.

“FLINT!!!!” We both shouted in unison.

“But how did you know that we needed you?!” I blinked.

“Suffolk came to me,” he replied coolly. “He told me about his friend, Cadeyrn being in trouble and I just had to go,” he jumped off Suffolk.

“I missed you so much,” we both said somehow.

“I miss both of you as well,” he hugged both of us. “Aaron told me what happened. So I understand. Now let’s take a look at this horse,” he walked up to Cadeyrn. “Oh dear… doesn’t look too good… I don’t even know if there’s anything I can do… I can try though.” We all looked at each other with scowls on our faces.

“Is there a way to intubate a horse?” I asked.

He looked at me funny. “Don’t they do that to humans?! I’ve seen it on House!” He looked at me like I was crazy.

“OK then, just wondering…, but you’re right. They do that to humans,” I hesitated.

“I hope you were kidding… I have no idea what to do though,” he sighed. “Sure, I’m a mammalogist, but I completely forgot what to do. I haven’t dissected a horse in over five years.”

“I understand…,” Cynthia said. “Shouldn’t a horse be standing up, not lying down this long?”

“Correct, it shouldn’t… we need to lift him up some how. I think the weight of his body is crushing his heart and throat,” he replied.

“…But we don’t have anything that could help us do that though…,” I shrugged.

“I have an even better idea… turn him to the side, will that work?” She asked.

“I don’t know,” he replied. “It might work or he might die.” We gulped and looked at each other with “oh great!” looks on our faces. I looked at my broken arm and knew this would be hard to do...
Sign up to rate and review this story