Categories > Cartoons > X-Men: Evolution > That Stupid School Project

September 10th: Vash

by IWCT 0 reviews

Why we don't give Jon coffee.

Category: X-Men: Evolution - Rating: G - Genres: Drama,Humor - Characters: Avalanche,Rogue - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2009-11-21 - Updated: 2009-11-22 - 977 words

0Unrated
It was incurably hot for September and yet it was only seven thirty in the morning. John tramped along underneath the heavy load of his backpack. Normally he would have been busy jumping up and down as the humidity and heat struck everyone else down, but to day he wasn’t feeling so great.

It was the combination of the absolutely disastrous school day that had only been yesterday and lack of rest. Not only had that stupid nightmare struck again, but he had to explain to Moira McTaggart what he had been doing in the girl’s wing after dark about fifty times before the Scottish gorgon was satisfied and would let him go to bed.

On the bright side he had finished the first chapter. Yup, absolutely finished, no need for anymore editing, no more paragraphs, no more pathetic excuses for dialogue. Finished, done, fin. Now all he had to do was put it past the inspection of Rogue.

He walked to school, feeling slightly worried. Rogue might not even like the chapter. She’d probably kill him for the revisions that he had made. She wouldn’t like the dialogue, he was certain. His characterization had probably sucked. The plot would be too passé.

“Hey John, wait up!”

John tried to slow down and increase his pace imperceptibly as he heard Lance’s voice. The result was that one leg stopped and the other kept on going, swinging him in a half circle.
John faced Lance, who was looking hot and bothered, and possibly nervous. Lance noticed that John had dark circles under his eyes, and for once his boundless energy seemed sapped.

“What happened to you? You look like Hell,” Lance winced, this was not how you were supposed to start an apology, but John seemed to have aged about fifty years.

“Marie tackled me yesterday. Then I had a nightmare. Then I startled Jean out of her nightmare, and she called in Dr. McTaggart. I got yelled at until it was time to go to school. Jean’s not letting me share the same car as her, so I am now walking to school. I want sleep,” John turned around again and started walking.

“Hey, sorry about yesterday,” Lance called after him.

John waved a hand in reply. Lance shrugged. His duty was accomplished, he had apologized and now he was free to do whatever he wanted. He thought about skipping school for a moment, it was too hot to learn. But he might run into Marie, and then they might start talking about things. Not that he was looking to apologize, but the subject just might come up. Once Marie admitted that she was in the wrong he might point out that he had been blowing the whole thing out of proportion.

And there was that absolutely weird issue of Ms. Monroe and Pietro that he needed to take care of. Maybe John would know. The Aussie seemed know more about Bayville than the natives. Lance ran to catch up with John again.

“Hey, what do you know about Ms. Monroe?”

“She teaches drama, right?” John’s voice was monotonic, “Nothing. Do you like science fiction?”

“Not really,” Lance was trying to see John’s angle.

“Know anyone who does? Who’s not Rogue I mean.”

“Err, I think Kitty’s friend, Webber, does,” Lance tried to be more helpful, “I think that I could get you a coffee, or something. You look really weird.”

“Yeah, yeah,” John waved Lance away as they both came in sight of the school.

Lance stalked off to find the coffee machine, and John looked for Marie. She was chatting with some of her scary undead friends. John wondered at the fact that any of them could still breathe with all of their make-up on. He could go up to her and give her the papers, but he wasn’t really feeling in the mood for strange stares today.

Lance came back with the cup of coffee, and handed it to him. John took it gratefully and chugged the whole cupful. He coughed and spluttered as the burning liquid made its presence known to him. Lance clouted him on the back sympathetically. John gasped out a thanks and the bell rung signaling the start of homeroom.

Rogue waived good bye to the girl she was talking with. The purple hued girl grinned at Rogue, “See you tomorrow in cosmetology, Marie. Don’t forget that bolt of cloth. And,” she grinned mischievously, “it’d be great if you could bring along that cute orange shadow that trails you around everywhere.”

“Ha, ha, Betsy yah killin’ me,” Rogue did not sound amused.

“Hi, Rogue,” John called, his mouth was burning, but he felt very perky at the moment, “I got the rest of the chapter. You can burn it with me during English. Tell you about Jean and the evil thong from Hell over diagramming. We’ll meet at the Wolverine to discuss the next chappie, ‘kay? Well, gotta run.”

Betsy looked after the Aussie as he bounced away. Lance was near by, with a look that must have been similar to Doctor Frankenstein’s when he first saw his creation lurch down to the village. Rogue bit her lip and said into that echoing silence that John had left, “Okay, then.”

Betsy laughed, “He’s a bit like Vash,” Rogue and Lance gave her blank looks, “You know, from that manga that I was telling you about. Trigun. The main character is called Vash the Stampede. Very innocent and open guy, with this affinity for causing chaos wherever he goes.”

Rogue just looked at Lance and then they all went inside with the rest of the stragglers. Rogue thought that she could hear Lance muttering under his breath, “What have I done? What have I done?”
Sign up to rate and review this story