Categories > Cartoons > Danny Phantom > Danny Phantom: Fanning The Flames Remix

The Eastern Venture, Part 2 (Progression)

by Kairi-kun 0 reviews

Danny's class slowly becomes adjusted to school life in Japan as they interact with many of the students in Seimei. Oh, and Danny fights a ninja.

Category: Danny Phantom - Rating: PG - Genres: Humor - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2009-12-07 - Updated: 2009-12-08 - 14363 words

0Unrated
Danny Phantom: Fanning the Flames Remix
by Kairi Taylor



Chapter 6: The Eastern Venture (Part 2- Progression)



(Fade in to the exterior of the dormitory, where Valerie is standing at the doorway in a jogging suit, sweaty and drinking from a canteen of water.)


Valerie: Man, does a morning jog feel good! (Kwan joins Valerie outside, in a jogging suit of his own.) Hey, never knew you to be up at time.
Kwan: Well you know, being the running back means that the coach expects us to be as fit as possible. The regiment that Testlaff set up is pretty damn strict though.
Valerie: So I hear. But hey, the woman’s an ex-marine, that’s not too surprising.
Kwan: Speaking of surprising, that news report from last night tops it all. Who’d had thought Fenton would have that kind of potential?
Valerie: I did.
Kwan: Oh right, I forgot you’re York’s self defense assistant.
Valerie: In a way, it seemed like handling a sword was second nature to him, so we figured he could use some bokken practice on the side. Danny must have been getting some extra practice in when we weren’t looking. Hey, you should come to our classes once in a while.
Kwan: A tempting offer, but my dad actually trains me with boxing. It’s helped to build my endurance and speed. Plus, the protein shakes he whips up aren’t so bad.
Valerie: Heh, never figured you to be the boxer type.
Kwan: Life’s full of surprises. Such as Dash being called in to see York.
Valerie: So I heard. Hope it’s good news.

(Inside York’s room, both Danny and Dash are seated at a table across from one another. Sitting at the other end is York.)

York: I’m sorry to have you guys come here so early in the morning like this but Ishiyama wanted me to take care of this ASAP.
Dash: Hey, it’s cool. If it means I get a day off from morning exercises with Mrs. Testlaff, I’m all for it.
Danny: You? Reluctant to do exercise? I believe that’s a first.
Dash: Laugh it up, Mr. Samurai, but your fame’s gonna be short lived.
York: Ahem!
Dash: Sorry teach!
Danny: We’ll behave!
York: As it stands, for the past few months you two have been very civil towards each other and that’s a good sign, given the severity of a certain incident.
Dash: Ok, but that still doesn’t mean I’m not on notice, right?
York: Right. Both of you not only represent Casper High but Amity Park itself. In short, I expect the two of you to stay out of trouble.
Danny: You say that as if I’m the magnet for trouble.
Dash: You gotta admit destruction does seem to shadow your gene pool.
York: Now Danny, no doubt what you did last night was an impressive feat…
Dash: Ah, I could have taken out that guy faster…
York: …but don’t let that victory go to your head. Remember, you’re here to study and learn about this culture. If you must do something similar to what you did last night, do so if there really is no other option.
Danny: Translation- be humble and don’t go seeking any fights.
York: Correct a mundo! You’re dismissed. There’s something I need to speak to Dash about... (Danny rises from his seat and nods, and then leaves the room.)
Dash: I hope you’re not giving extra algebra assignments.
York: No, not today at least. I’m giving this to you to watch. (York hands a DVD case to Dash.)
Dash: Whoa! “The Utter Moron’s Guide to Sasuke!”
York: That is an up to date, by the numbers guide to the obstacle course, past and present. It should give you an idea and some insight on what we’re up against.
Dash: Sweet! But why…
York: I think you’ll understand when I show you this. (York hands over a sheet of paper to Dash.)
Dash: Whoa…this is my training schedule?
York: I’d call Testlaff a sadist but that would be an insult to sadists.
Dash: Tell me about it.

(Meanwhile, upstairs in the room that Sam and Star share, Star sits on the edge of her bed, brushing her hair as she stares at the nearby closet door. Ember sits on the windowsill a smile plastered on her face.)

Ember: This is just too rich! The Goth is actually afraid of her image!
Star: Come on out Sam, it’s not the end of the world!
Sam: No, but I wish it was. Maybe then I won’t have to wear this!
Ember: It ain’t so bad. The suit’s even in your favorite colors.
Sam: That’s not the point! This is the very kind of conformist dreck we both can’t stand.
Star: There’s a whole society out there that has learned to adjust to this, so get out here and conform with the rest of us!
Sam: Fine!

(The closet door slides open suddenly and Sam stomps out, dressed in a grey and black sailor fuku outfit with grey skirt and black knee high stockings.)

Ember: WOW.
Star: You look great! Why would you be so embarrassed by this?!
Sam: Because I look like a flipping anime fan boy fantasy come to life, that’s why! Look at this skirt, it’s ridiculous!
Star: But you wear a skirt everyday!
Ember: I think she’s just afraid of attracting another guy’s attention. I guarantee guys will be drooling all over her.
Star: I believe there is truth in your words.

(Downstairs, Jack stands in front of a mirror and adjusts his tie as Maddie adjusts her blouse.)

Jack: I feel positively alien without my jumpsuit!
Maddie: You’ll have to make due, hon. If the kids can learn to live with Japanese school uniforms, you can learn to live and breath in a suit and pants.
Jack: Yes, I know. Teaching though, this will be a real challenge. By the way, have you seen Danny?
Maddie: Here he comes now! (Maddie holds up a camera)
Jack: You’ll be taking pictures of every uniform he’s in, won’t you?
I want to document every important moment as much as possible. Is that so wrong?

(Danny, accompanied by Tucker, is dressed in a traditional black Japanese boy’s school uniform. Tucker also wears a similar uniform, but his top button is undone and his hat is instead of red.)

Tucker: I feel so…odd.
Danny: It’s not so bad. At least they’re nothing like the uniforms Vlad had us wearing.
Maddie: Oh, don’t look now Danny, but I think you have some admirers.
Danny: Huh?
Tucker: He means them. (Tucker nudges his head to Danny’s right. A couple of girls are seen by Danny, shyly waving their hands in greeting before walking past him.)
Danny: Ok, maybe it’s not so bad after all!
Jack: The little show of heroism you displayed last night may have just help to boost your street cred. And it also netted me a few requests from the students and the locals into making more Fenton Blades. To think they called me a crack pot inventor! Who’s got the last laugh now?!
Danny: I’d love to bask in this newfound glory, but a certain someone had warned me about that. So all I want is a nice and normal school day in a foreign land with no consequence. I do admit, I kind of feel cool wearing the outfit. (Kwan and Valerie appear with their own respective uniforms on)
Valerie: I used to mock cosplayers who dressed up in these outfits. Now that the shoe’s on the other foot, it’s not so bad.
Kwan: I feel like I have the sudden urge to shoot out fire from my fists. I blame my King of Fighters fixation on that.
Tucker: Me too.
Danny: Where are Sam and Star?
Kwan: Look behind you.

(Danny and Tucker turn to see that Sam, Star, Paulina and Dani all have arrived in their respective uniforms. A slow blush creeps up on Sam as she realizes that many of the male students are gawking at her.)

Sam: This is really, REALLY odd.
Paulina: They’re called ‘admirers’ Manson, even you can turn a few heads if you put your mind to it.
Sam: Hey, I can turn heads.
Paulina: I don’t mean with your hands.
Star: Relax Sam, it’s gonna die down sooner or later.
Dani: Yeah. In the mean time, I hope you took the time to heed my advice and wear shorts underneath the skirt.
Paulina: Shorts?
Dani: Trust me, you don’t even need to watch anime to see where this is headed.
Tucker: Hey Danny, are you Ok?
Danny: Yeah, I’m fine. Why do you ask?
Tucker: You got ‘that look’ in your eyes when those other guys started eyeing Sam.
Danny: I do not have ‘that look’!
Tucker: I’ve seen that only one other time, and it was when ‘Gregor’ came to the school.
Valerie: Gregor, eh?
Kwan: I never figured him for the jealous type.
Danny: It’s complicated. Let’s discuss it some other time.
Tucker: Hey, just how are we supposed to get to this school anyway?
Valerie: Tucker, allow me to introduce you to the wonders of public transportation.

(Meanwhile on the other side of town, Yuriko along with Hiroshi and Rei walk to school. Yuriko is in the middle of telling her friends the details of the previous night.)

Yuriko: The kid was pretty damn fast, far as I can tell. I mean I’ve never seen any normal kid keep up with a spirit like that, well at least no normal kid outside of our town.
Rei: Yes, you said that 3 times, I know! What intrigues me, however, is that weapon of his.
Yuriko: You mean that beam sword.
Rei: Yes, the ‘beam sword’. Quite amazing, it uses a focused beam of ectoplasmic energy and bends it to form a semi-solid blade and adjusts the frequency and output to affect only any energy based entity.
Yuriko: In common speak.
Hiroshi: The sword can hurt ghosts and oni.
Yuriko: Right.
Hiroshi: I have to admit, it is a rather interesting invention, but then again the father of that kid has a very interesting rep.
Rei: Oh so you know him?
Hiroshi: Yes, I read sensei’s notes last night.
Yuriko: m too. His name is Danny Fenton, son of ghost hunters Jack and Maddie Fenton.
Rei: Oh wait, I remember him now. That was the kid who discovered that Samson the gorilla was a girl. Quite an unorthodox way to find out.
Yuriko: My mom used to spar with his mother when she stayed here. And one of the homeroom teachers also was a student of Hamato-sensei too.
Hiroshi: This should prove to be an interesting experience indeed.
Yuriko: What worries me more is what will happen if You Know Who decides to have a word with him.
Rei: Oh yeah, there’s that. The odds that he will run into her are pretty slim though. I hear she’s meditating in the woods.
Hiroshi: You know how fast word travels out here though. It’s only a matter of time.
Yuriko: Oh believe me, I know. I’ll bet you a modest bowel of ramen that the kendo club will want him too.

(Meanwhile, Danny and his class all exit the train on their way to school.)

Valerie: Wow, Sam, you may have set a new record.
Sam: I don’t think you can blame me. And it’s not something I think the teachers want to know about.
Star: You slapped 5 different men in 3 minutes. If that isn’t a record, I don’t know what is.
Sam: Hey, you did warn me that on some trains here, businessmen were known to attempt to grope women.
Valerie: Yes, I know, but you didn’t have to resort to backhanding them like they owe you money.
Sam: At least it wasn’t as bad as Paulina’s reaction. I think some of his teeth are still embedded in the side of the train car.
Danny: Let’s try to keep any and all acts of random assault to a minimum. Less blood shed by the locals, the better. (Meanwhile, Dani and Youngblood examine a map of the area.)
Youngblood: According to this, the school is a few blocks away from the train station.
Dani: Wow, I never knew this place had so many cafes.
Youngblood: Well, the professor did say this was a highly popular tourist area.
Danny: Yeah…wow, a lot of arcades and game stores too. Well, we’ll have to wait until later to check it out.
Sam: I can only wonder how dull the school will look.)

(20 minutes later, the class arrives at the gates of Seimei High: The complex itself is huge, as the building beyond the gate is large, with 4 stories and, as with all Japanese high schools, a clock at the front of the building. Beyond the main school building, other structures can be seen nearby. Dash takes a look at a map posted on the bulletin board at the gate walls.)

Dash: Holy SMOKES! This place has it’s own STADIUM?!
Paulina: Lets take a look. Uh huh, stadium, library, training hall…wow this place is huge.
Valerie: I guess now it makes sense why dormitories were built nearby.
Danny: I just hope we’re not gonna need a GPS to navigate around here. (On cue, York arrives on a bicycle.) Your timing is impeccable.
Sam: If we had known the school would be the size of a small university campus, we’d have brought bikes too.
York: Didn’t you guys even read the guides I passed out?
Paulina: Sir, it was 75 pages! We barely have the patience to read 30 pages!
York: I suppose I did go overboard on the details. Right, we’re all needed in the Assembly Hall. Come on, just this way.
Danny: Ok, but you’re walking.
York: Spoilsport.

(A short time later, everyone settles in at the assembly hall of the school. Danny’s class is seated on stage directly behind a podium.)

Dash: Wow, so many students! These people can’t all be in the 11th grade.
Valerie: No, they’re not. These are all the students fro mall of the different years. Also, they don’t have grades like we do, they’re classified differently.
Dash: Oh great. I’m already learning something of little interest to me. What do you mean anyway?
Valerie: The school years for Japanese high school students is 3 years instead of 4. The 2nd years are the equivalent of 1tth grade.
Dash: Ok, still kind of odd.
Star: Heads up, here’s the principal.

(A slender, slightly balding white haired man with a small ponytail approaches the podium.)

Man: On behalf of all the students here at Seimei High School, we welcome the students of Casper High School to Japan. I am principal George Nakamura. This project would not have been possible without the joint efforts between our school, the funding of Altair York and our own two towns. Now then…
Danny: I wouldn’t mind these speeches if they weren’t so long winded.
Sam: Agreed. And I hate being out in the open like this.
Danny: We still have one small problem though. The class has yet to pick a class representative.
Tucker: A what?
Danny: You know, like the student council president back home, but instead of the entire student body, they’re responsible for the one class they’re in.
Sam: They have to be in charge of a lot, like assigning class cleanup detail and roll call.
Tucker: Sounds thankless and boring. It’s perfect for you.
Sam: Hardy har har.
Nakamura: …also joining the students will be key personnel from Casper High, such as Vice Principal Lancer and Mrs. Testlaff. In addition, two noted ghost hunters and inventors will be teaching: Jack and Maddie Fenton.
Jack: I promise to keep all potential explosions to a minimum.
Nakamura: God, we hope so.

(Meanwhile in the crowd of students from Seimei, Yuriko sits back in her seat, listening to some of the other students talk.)

Girl 1: Hey, do you see him?
Girl 2: Nah, not yet. Maybe he’s towards the back.
Girl 3: You gotta admit, there’s quite a few good looking guys there.
Girl 1: Yeah, I suppose.
Girl 2: Ohh, look at that kid right there! He’s got some nice looking freckles!
Boy 1: Dude, check out the blonde girl with the flower in her hair! She’s smoking!
Boy 2: Nah, the girl next to her is twice as hot!
Boy 3: You’re only saying that because you have a thing for busty African American girls!
Boy 2: Is that so wrong?!
Boy 1: No, I suppose not.
Rei: Unbelievable, all of you.
Hiroshi: Yet you can’t help but crane your neck I see.
Rei: Only because I am trying to see if I can spot Danny out there too.
Hiroshi: Ah, then I can help you with that. He’s in the 4th row, third person in. (Hiroshi points.)
Rei: Really? Ah, now I see him.
Yuriko: Yeah, he’s right…over…there. (Yuriko feels a slow blush creep over her as she sees Sam, who is seated next to Danny.)
Hiroshi: The girl seated next to him is quite interesting.
Yuriko: Huh? Oh yeah, sure…wait, what?
Hiroshi: Her aura. I mean it’s really unique.
Rei: Seriously?
Hiroshi: Yes. She very well may have powers similar to my own.
Yuriko: Oh great, as if we don’t have enough spirits running around.

(An hour later, Danny’s class is settling in to their new surroundings as York addresses the class.)

York: Right, as of now, we need to pick someone to be the class rep. Any takers? And keep in mind this is a huge responsibility.
Dash: I nominate myself, seeing as how I am the student body president and all.
Valerie: Actually, you’re not. Or did you already forget what happened?
Dash: Hold on I remember! I was only removed from all the other sports teams except the football team.
York: Uh Dash, she’s right. I looked over the terms of your suspension. You didn’t just take one glance at it, did you?
Dash: I may have glossed over some finer details.
Valerie: The charter reads that if the student council president is removed from school activities due to a suspension, they immediately are removed from office. In case you forgot, I believe you had one of the members of your posse fill in for you.
Dash: Yeah, that would explain why Jerome kept on asking me for advice in student government. Ok, so I’m not student council president. I can still run for class rep.
York: Yeah, that’s not gonna happen. Testlaff specifically requested that any free time you have be used either for study or for training. She apparently wants you to take the Sasuke challenge seriously.
Dash: Of course. Curse my strong body.
Star: So, who else can we select?
Sam: How about Paulina? I’m sure she’s got loads of free time.
Paulina: Ha, funny! I’ll pass. People like me don’t have the patience for politics.
Sam: (Whispering to herself) Or the brains.
York: Ok then. How about Kwan?
Kwan: Huh? ME?
Danny: Hey, you do have an innate knack for politics. You even scored higher that most of us in the debate club.
Valerie: I agree.
York: Very well then, unless anyone else wants to take a crack at it, I will approve of Kwan being the class rep.
Kwan: Whoa. I was actually gonna suggest that Valerie be the class representative instead.
Valerie: I know. But believe me, I really don’t have the patience for that job either.

(Meanwhile, one floor below, Dani and Youngblood are being introduced to their class by a tall woman with short hair and square glasses.)

Teacher: Class, from today until the end of the semester, we will be joined by two American students from Amity Park. Now then, go on and please introduce yourselves.
Dani: Hey, my name’s Danielle Felton! Nice to meet you.
Youngblood: My name’s Yancy Youngblood. Charmed, I’m sure. (A student raises his hand.)
Student: Uh, pardon me, Ms. Aoyama, but we’re missing the class rep.
Aoyama: Really? That’s surprising. What could be keeping him? (Another student looks at the window, then pulls it open.)
Student 2: Here’s the answer.

(Suddenly, and without so much as a warning, two figures crash into the classroom via the window; one is a particularly large monster wielding a spiked club in a tiger skin loincloth. The other is Daigo, in school uniform, book bag in hand, his foot planted squarely in the side of the monster’s face.)

Aoyama: You’re late Tachibana.
Daigo: Sorry ma’am, this bad boy was more difficult to put down than I thought. (Daigo pulls out a spirit ward from his pocket.)
Dani: Whoa. That guy’s huge.
Daigo: You guys don’t seem too shocked by it.
Youngblood: Where we live, this sort of thing is routine.
Aoyama: Our apologies. Normally, we tend to keep any oni-related incidents relegated off campus.

(Later on in the day, specifically lunch hour, in Yuriko’s homeroom. Yuriko is leaning back in her chair and gazing at the ceiling as a boy with a baseball cap turned sideways talks with her and Rei.)

Kid: You should have seen it! Your kid brother literally dove straight down, bounced off the fence and dropkicked the thing in the face and rode it into the classroom! He kicked it to submission!
Yuriko: Yup, that sounds exactly like my violent little brother.
Kid: Oh, you’re one to talk. I heard what you did to that gang member yesterday.
Yuriko: Yeah, but Ueki I show some restraint.
Rei: The shattered knee you gave to the one guy who called me ‘ugly’ says otherwise.
Yuriko: I’m going out on a limb here and guessing my brother came up with some over the top nickname to what he did to that demon.
Ueki: He called it the ‘Dynamic Tachibana Oni Killing Entry’.
Rei: WAY too much reliance on Naruto.
Ueki: Yuriko, you seem out of it. Something on your mind?
Rei: Or someone. You must be thinking of that girl we saw with Danny.
Yuriko: I am NOT.
Rei: Being overly defensive, that only seals it!
Ueki: Oh yeah, let me show you the pics I got of him. (Ueki pulls out from his front pocket a digital camera.) The school paper is trying to get an interview with him. I figure if I get an interview with him and show them the pics I took at the assembly hall, I’d surely get a promotion in the paper.
Rei: I’m surprised the girls didn’t try to pay you to make copies of the pictures.
Yuriko: Give them time. Hey, where’s Hiroshi? And Hoshino-sensei?
Rei: I heard her saying something about going to the roof.

(On the roof of the school, York stands looking out of the fence towards the sky as Danny arrives.)

Danny: You never fail to amaze me. Even away from home, I can find you here.
York: Yes, it’s hard to deviate from the usual. I take it you’re enjoying the first day here so far.
Danny: Oh, totally, but it surprises me how casually people regard ghosts here.
York: Ah, well spiritualism is an integral part of the history here. That’s why it was so ideal to ask Jack and Maddie along.
Danny: One thing I’m not gonna get used to is all those kids asking me questions about what I’ve been studying. It’s gonna be hard to stay humble, although the extra attention the ladies gave me is a bonus.
York: Don’t let Sam hear that.
Danny: I won’t. (A couple of seconds later, the door to the roof opens and into the sunlight steps a woman, roughly the same height as Maddie, with a braided ponytail, wearing a grey blouse pantsuit.) Oh, I guess we have a visitor.
Woman: It’s nice to finally meet you, Danny Fenton. I’ve been hearing quite a bit about you.
Danny: Wow, cool, I guess. I didn’t catch your name, ma’am.
York: Hello, Shizuru.
Shizuru: It’s been a long time, Altair.
York: Yes it has. Danny…
Danny: Yeah?
York: Whatever happens, do not interfere.
Danny: Interfere with what?

(Suddenly, 3 kunai slip out of the left sleeve of Shizuru’s blouse and into her hand. She throws them rapidly at York, who sidesteps two of them and catches the third by the handle in midair. As he does so, Shizuru leaps up high in the air and tosses several shuriken towards York. Without moving, York deflects them all away with the kunai before she hits the ground and he makes a beeline towards her.)

Danny: You know, I’d really like to know where you kept all of those.
Shizuru: Not where you think.

(Shizuru takes a defensive stance as York closes in, leaping and missing with a spinning back kick. Shizuru manages to duck from that and attempts to connect with a quick roundhouse of her own, which York leaps backwards to avoid. The two begin to trade blows for several minutes, matching punch for punch and so forth, much to Danny’s amazement. Eventually, Shizuru increases the speed of her punches, forcing York to stay mostly on the defensive.)

Shizuru: This isn’t like you at all. I’d figure you to be the type to try something by now.
York: Well, if you insist.

(York grabs one of Shizuru’s fists open handed and clenches it. Using his other hand, York goes for an open palm thrust towards her abdomen. Shizuru quickly counters with a quick wrist grab of her own.)

Shizuru: Still as sharp as ever.
York: Still as quick as before. (The two remain deadlocked as Dani and Maddie arrive on the roof.)
Dani: They’ve gotta be up here.
Maddie: Of course, it’s the only other place he stays at…What in the world is going on here?
Danny: Truthfully, I wish I could tell you. The two of them started going at it the minute she arrived on the roof!
Dani: No way! It can’t be!
Maddie: Kids, you’ll have to excuse me. This will only take a moment.

(Maddie takes a breath, then dashes towards the pair. York disengages from his position as Maddie swings with her right fist at Shizuru’s head. In response, Shizuru quickly leaps back and goes on the offensive countering by going for a few punches of her own at Maddie. Maddie manages to parry a few of the fists before quickly sliding towards Shizuru with an elbow strike. Shizuru, with lighting quick reflexes, leaps over Maddie and lands behind her before narrowly blocking the spinning back kick aimed at her head.)

Danny: You know, I’m fairly certain there’s a very good reason why the three of you are trying to beat each other into a coma, so if anyone wants to fill me in, now would be a good time.
Maddie: I see you are as feisty as ever. (Maddie and York bow.)
Shizuru: Likewise. (Shizuru returns the bow.) It’s been so long! What have the two of you been up to?
Maddie: We’d ask you the same.
York: I haven’t heard from you in 5 years! I figured you were off on some training trip or something.
Shizuru: More or less. I’m more surprised a ghost hunter and a noted billionaire/archeologist is in this school teaching.
Maddie: Life’s funny that way. I guess you saw what my son did last night on the news.
Shizuru: Yes, it was quite amazing. I have to ask just how long have you been training?
Danny: Oh, well since September actually.
Shizuru: Ah, 4 months, very remarkable. (Dani walks towards Shizuru) And I see you’ve brought a familiar face as well.
York: You know her?
Dani: She ought to! Shizuru’s the one I trained with!
York: Whoa.
Maddie: That certainly explains why her fighting ability is so advanced.
Dani: I’m dyin’ to know how all three of you know each other.
Maddie: Oh, that’s a funny story actually.

(Flash back to many years ago, on the grounds of the Hamato-ryu school, or to be very specific, inside one of the training halls. Sitting down in the center of the room are Maddie and York, while standing to the rear at the door is Jack and Vlad.)

Vlad: You’re sweating up a storm.
Jack: That I am.
Vlad: You’re not even trying to be a student here, why are you the nervous one?
Jack: I’m worried about little Yorkie! This may be more than even he can handle.
Vlad: I’d thought you would be nervous for Maddie too. Then again, the gal can handle her own in a fight.
Jack: There’s a bar full of Packers fans that can vouch for that.
Vlad: Oh, don’t remind me.

The door to the rear of the room opens. Maddie and Altair bow low as Master Hamato enters the room and sits across from them)

Hamato: Ah, no need to be so formal. Rise, dear friends. You must be the students from America that I’ve heard about.
Maddie: Yes we are. My name is Maddie. This is the project leader, Altair York.
York: It’s an honor to meet you, Master Hamato.
Hamato: As it is I to meet you. I have heard much about you as well as your compatriots. And these must be your friends, Jack Fenton and Vlad Masters.
Vlad: Hello, Hamato-san.
Jack: Do you have any more rice balls?
Vlad: You never get your fill of those.
Hamato: Oh yes, there will be plenty of rice balls later. But I suppose you’re here for more than quick eats?
Maddie: Yes, we are. We’re doing a research project on ghosts and the supernatural in conjunction with our government. We were referred to your school to get more details.
Hamato: I see. Well, you have come to the right place. We have very extensive records on past instances with the supernatural. You’re more that welcome to study them, but I believe there’s another reason why you’re here.
York: Yes. We will be staying in Yuurei no Machi for a considerable amount of time. We wish to study the martial arts here while we’re able to.
Hamato: Of course. We get a lot of candidates here. However, you should know very few stay long enough to handle some of the advanced classes. Now Maddie, I’m certain a woman such as yourself can handle it. I’ve seen your records, not to mention read about a certain incident that happened at a sports bar in Wisconsin involving a rowdy group of Packers fans.
Vlad: I didn’t think it was that bad. Really.
Jack: The restraining order was only 30 days.
Hamato: Your young friend however, it may be more than he can take.
York: Yes, but it is said that even a sparrow can have the will and strength of a falcon if he puts his mind to it.
Hamato: Hmm, wise saying. In that case will you be willing to undergo a quick test?
York: Yes I would.
Hamato: Ok then. Maddie, please stand off to the back with your friend. Altair, I wish for you to have an open sparring session with one of my top students. (Hamato turns his head to a window.) Shizuru, stop peeking and come on down. You have an opponent.

(The window creeps open and a young Shizuru, in a black gi, drops down and bows.)

Shizuru: Hey, sensei, how did you know I was there?
Hamato: I’m a ninja master, you have to know when someone’s trying to sneak in. Now then, I’d like for you to have a match with Altair here.
Shizuru: The runt? He’s like a year younger than me!
York: I assure you, I’m more than capable of keeping up with you.
Shizuru: You think?

(Before Vlad and Jack barely have time to register a thought, Shizuru pulls out a tanto blade from behind her back. In the same amount of time, York reacts by reaching into his jacket and pulls out a ballpoint pen. Both of them each manage to intercept the wrist of the weapon hand with their other hand.)

Shizuru: Whoa!
York: That was quick.
Jack: Vladdie, did you see---
Vlad: Just barely Jack.
Maddie: I was wondering when she’d finally come out.
Jack: She was watching us from the window ever since we got here>
Maddie: No, she was shadowing us ever since we arrived at the gates.
York: I didn’t detect her until we were in the garden. Your senses are better than mine.
Shizuru: Now this is getting weird.
Hamato: And interesting. Although a ball point pen…
York: I work with what I’m given. I also studied martial arts at the orphanage.
Hamato: You must have had one hell of an orphanage.

(Back to the present day.)

Danny: Wow. Killer first impression.
Maddie: I guess we can call it that.
Shizuru: And ever since then, we’ve been sparring buddies.
Dani: That means that the guy you always said was your number one rival is this here lunkhead who’s adopted me as his daughter.
York: Wait, number one rival? Me? I thought it was Takuma!
Shizuru: Meh, I surpassed him years ago.
Dani: Now isn’t this a funny set of events. Two crazy strong fighters both have a hand in raising me.
Danny: At this rate, you probably could be the strongest girl in Amity. I can only imagine what your class reunion must be like.
Maddie: A lot less chop socky, I will have you know. (The door to the roof opens again and Yuriko appears.)
Yuriko: Yo, sensei, the lunch truck is here. If you want the soba bread you better hustle!
Danny: Oh, it’s you!
Yuriko: Huh? Hey, you’re the guy I met last night, Danny! Fancy meeting you up here.
Danny: Funny story. My teacher, our teacher and my mom kinda had a bit of a throw down the minute she came up on the roof.
Dani: Wait, she’s the ninja we saw?
Yuriko: Actually, the correct term is kunoichi, but yeah that would be me.
Shizuru: This is Tachibana Yuriko, Asuka’s daughter.
Maddie: Hold the phone, Asuka’s daughter? Asuka from the dojo? You mean…
Shizuru: Yeah, she got married to that Shinji from her computer engineering class.
York: Wow, we really need to catch up with these people.
Maddie: You’re telling me.
Yuriko: Since you’re here Danny, I should let you know…(the door to the roof busts open as Ueki makes his way onto the roof, camera in hand.)
Ueki: Ueki Takeshi, reporter for Seimei Daily! Danny Fenton, I’m here to get an exclusive interview with you.
Yuriko: Damn it Ueki! I told you I was gonna ask him first, you didn’t have to barge in like this!
Ueki: Sorry, but the longer I wait, the more likely Yamada’s gonna get the scoop! (Rei peeks in.)
Rei: Uh, sorry about that. Oh, Yuriko, someone is reporting at least two 2nd years are picking on a first year in the gym.
Yuriko: Damn. I’m on it!
Shizuru: Hold on there, you know the rules young lady.
Yuriko: I know, I know, no broken bones and keep all use of brute force to a minimum. (Yuriko runs off.)
Maddie: Did you just…
York: Give a student orders to physically stomp two bullies.
Shizuru: Yes and no. The school does it’s best to curtail and bully activity or fighting, but the policy is fairly open if said fighting involves defending someone.

(Meanwhile, Sam walks the hallways, a couple of buns in hand.)

Sam: I’ve gotta say, lunchtime here really surprised me.
Ember’s Voice: Tell me about it. Who knew the line to the cafeteria lady would be like a mosh pit?
Sam: That’s putting it mildly. The line to the bread truck outside looks even worse.
Ember’s Voice: Just make sure you save me the curry roll.
Sam: Is there anything here is Japan that hasn’t been made into a bun? Uh oh, someone’s coming this way. (Hiroshi approaches Sam.)
Hiroshi: Hello, you’re Sam Manson, right?
Sam: Yeah, nice to meet you. You are…
Hiroshi: I am Murata Hiroshi, a classmate of the kunoichi your friend met last night.
Sam: You know her?
Hiroshi: Yeah, since we were in grade school. She’s bit on the impulsive side I admit.
Sam: Gee, I didn’t see that at all.
Hiroshi: In any case, I want to give this to you. (Hiroshi takes out a piece of yellow paper with writing on it and hands it to Sam.) Actually, it’s really meant for your friend.
Sam: Oh thanks, but I think Danny’s good with what his dad’s already given him. If I know him, he’s already built an ecto-taser the size of a cell phone by now.
Hiroshi: Ah, actually, it’s not for Danny. Rather, it’s for your other friend.
Sam: Wait a second…
Hiroshi: It’s ok, I’m a friend. (Ember emerges from the amulet.)
Ember: Finally! I’ve been dying to get a good look at this place. The amulet’s nice and all, but I’ve been itchin’ to take a look at a real Japanese high school up close and personal.
Hiroshi: Amazing, an amulet with a separate dimension sealed within. The level of magic needed to do that must be high.
Sam: Trust me, I’m as amazed about it as you are.
Hiroshi: The paper I’m giving you will help to mask your presence. That means you can freely travel around the school halls without being detected by anyone with no spiritual powers or sensitivity to the ethereal. It also grants you access to the areas of the campus very few students can enter.
Ember: Wait, what? There’s other ghosts here too?
Sam: So, I guess you’re a shaman yourself then.
Hiroshi: In some ways yes. I’m an omyonji in training. I sensed your energy the minute you came on stage, but I had to verify for myself.
Sam: Funny, I thought I sensed something similar when I was there. Guess my hunch was correct too.
Ember: This place gets more fun by the minute. If you’re anything like Sam here, you must have a partner too.
Hiroshi: You mean a familiar.
Ember: If you wanna get all technical, sure, I guess.
Hiroshi: Oh, I do. He’s around somewhere.

(At that moment, a door opens in midair. A male ghost dressed in a Shinto priest robes and wielding a staff steps out. He has on a pair of purple round rimmed sunglasses on his face.)

Ghost: Yuriko’s brother did it again!
Hiroshi: It can’t be helped. The oni did get too close to the campus.
Ghost: But he didn’t have to go and kick it on school grounds! That kind of horseplay puts stress on some of the barriers. And the fence will have to be replaced again.
Hiroshi: It’ll work itself out, trust me. In any case, there’s some people I’d like you to meet.
Sam: I’m Sam, this is Ember.
Ember: We’re just crashing here until we use up all the comforts of the dormitory.
Ghost: A shaman, wow. I haven’t seen one of them in a good long time. I am Jinpei, Hiroshi’s partner.
Ember: I’m dying to see what else this place has, so I’ll catch ya later, Goth. Time to do some sight seeing. (Ember floats off.)
Hiroshi: Charming.
Sam: Indeed she is.
Hiroshi: The two of you working together, it seems like an odd fit.
Sam: We have a very unique situation. Right now, we’ve got about 8 more months to step our game up.
Hiroshi: Sounds like you have a dilemma. Well if you wish I can give you one piece of advice. There is a book in the local history section called “The Tales of Kurokame”. I would suggest you take it out and give it a read, then come see me.
Sam: The Tales of Kurokame…
Hiroshi: Trust me, it’s an eye opener.

(Later on in the afternoon, Danny and Sam are walking together near the entrance to the main school building, having a talk.)

Danny: Wow, sounds like you had an interesting encounter.
Sam: I was more surprised at what I learned about the school. The fact that there actually are ghosts here is one thing, but the hidden areas here, that’s intriguing.
Danny: I know. I didn’t mention it to the others, but I always felt something was a bit off about this place.
Sam: I’m sure the professor can shed some light on that. Hey, where is he anyway?
Danny: He’s in a meeting with my parents, Mr. Lancer, Miss Hoshino and Principal Nakamura. We won’t see them until later this evening.
Sam: Ah, right. And how was your second meeting with the female ninja?
Danny: Yuriko?
Sam: Unless you met with any other kunoichi I should know about, yes. (As if on cue, Yuriko leaps between the two.)
Yuriko: My ears are burning. Who called?
Danny: Where’d you come from?
Yuriko: You’d never believe me.
Danny: Sam, Yuriko and vice versa.
Sam: Ah, the mysterious girl I’ve heard so much about.
Yuriko: And you must be the shaman that Hiroshi told me about.
Danny: So, what’s up?
Yuriko: I wanted to give you a heads up; the Kendo Club’s got a couple of guys looking for you.
Danny: Recruitment I imagine.
Sam: I can’t wait to see how this develops.
?: Daniel Fenton!!

(Danny, Sam and Yuriko look towards the gate, where a rather large kid in a kendo uniform waits, wielding a shinai. On his forehead is a bandana whose characters read ‘Burning Youth’.)

Danny: Normally, people just refer to me as Danny. Only my grandparents and bureaucrats call me Daniel.
?: That may be, but I try to remain as formal as possible in matters such as this! I am Harada from the Seimei Kendo Club and I, being the current strongest member, challenge you.
Danny: Wait, WHAT?!
Harada: You were quite impressive going up against a rather troublesome spirit! But I doubt you will have the same kind of luck against a strong human opponent as me. Now BEHOLD!

(Harada takes a stance and rapidly swings his shinai around him, much to the dismay of Danny.)

Danny: Er, I suppose that could be impressive.
Yuriko: Well he sure does have speed.
Sam: The bright side is we’re down wind of a cool breeze.
Harada: This is just a sample of my speed. I can go even faster! And my technique is such that very few can accurately describe it. Let us do battle and see who is—

(Harada’s spiel is cut short as a punch sends him skywards. A lone girl, who is in a black gi and grey hakama walks towards them, an annoyed expression on her face. A carrying case for a bokken is strapped across her back.)

Girl: If that braggart spent half his time training instead of boasting, he’d be competent.
Sam: Oh great, ANOTHER challenger.
Girl: Ah, no, I’m not as punch drunk as Harada. I’m Ishida Yoko, captain of the Seimei High Kendo Team.
Danny: I was under the impression that Harada was the leader.
Yoko: No. He is in no way at all affiliated with us.
Yuriko: To be more blunt, Harada’s the leader of the Kendo Club, one of the school’s many after school clubs. Yoko’s part of the official school team.
Yoko: The Kendo Club is comprised mainly of guys that are trying to get into the team, samurai movie buffs or those who flunked out of the team. It wouldn’t be so bad if wasn’t run by Harada.
Sam: Let me guess, Harada was once a member of the kendo team but he was kicked out for being an idiot.
Yoko: Close. He agreed to a match with me where the loser would have to give up their spot on the team.
Yuriko: The guy lost in 20 seconds.
Sam: Wow that was fast.
Yoko: I’m glad I ran into you, Danny. I had heard that a transfer student had taken on an oni and not gotten killed in the process.
Yuriko: I thought you were off in the woods meditating. (Yoko holds up a cell phone.) Oh yeah, YouTube.
Yoko: In any case, your abilities were quite interesting. I came here to give you an invitation to watch the kendo team in one of our sessions.
Yuriko: Oh, so that’s how it is? Not so fast Bushido Girl! You’ve seen the kids moves? He’s tailor made for ninjitsu!
Yoko: But his handling of a sword is precise and focused, even in the heat of battle. If anything, he is suited for kenjutsu.
Yuriko: No WAY! Ninjitsu is his bread and butter!
Sam: Hmm, looks like you just got yourself in the middle of a recruitment drive.
Danny: Lucky me. (Hiroshi appears.)
Hiroshi: Of course, you could always opt to learn both. Trust me, these two will be at it for awhile.

(Meanwhile nearby, Rei sits on a bench, watching the events unfold.)

Rei: I guess the Americans will fit in just fine. That’s good to see.
?: I agree.

(Rei turns to see Hayate, dressed in a business suit, standing behind her.)

Rei: Brother? Where did you come from?
Hayate: Oh my trip ended sooner than I expected, so I decided to see what’s up here.
Rei: So far the American seemed to have adapted quickly. Danny seems to be getting a fair share of attention himself.
Hayate: So I heard! And I see Yoko’s interested in drafting him for that team of hers.
Rei: If Yuriko has her say, I think that will be a non-issue. Oh, did you get that item I asked for?
Hayate: Oh, almost forgot. (Hayate reaches into his pocket and pulls out a tear shaped jade necklace.) It took some time but a friend of mine had tracked it down.
Rei: Thanks. I owe you one.
Hayate: I’d ask why you wanted it, but I’m afraid of the answer.

(Several days pass and the class slowly, but sure gets used to the school and the town. One day, during afternoon activities..)
Kwan: Man, I’m officially BEAT! (Kwan sits down on a bench near the stadium as he observes Dash doing chin ups on the pull up bars nearby.)
Dash: It’s like I told you dude, the work of a class president is harder than you really think.
Kwan: Yeah, but I seem to remember you pushing most of the duties on other people.
Dash: Yeah, well sometimes you need to delegate the duties to others.
Kwan: Riiight. I bet you wish you can delegate Mrs. Testlaff’s training schedule.
Dash: Nah, I don’t mind. I’ve been so pumped for the tournament I haven’t even given Fenton a second thought.
Kwan: That’s a good thing.
Dash: I know, I know. Still, I can’t believe the dweeb’s gotten that much attention.
Kwan: Oh, I believe it. You know why?
Dash: Uh, his unique and average hair?
Kwan: Nope. The dude’s a late bloomer. Once some of that inner potential started leaking out it was only a matter of time.
Dash: Suppose you could be correct there. Oh, I had an interview with that Ueki kid today.
Kwan: Me too. I never answered so many questions about American football in my life.
Dash: I didn’t even know it was that popular here. That took me by surprise.
Kwan: Read ‘Eyeshield 21’.

(Elsewhere on campus, Paulina sits alone at a table, busy as she draws in her sketchbook.)

Paulina: I suppose this collar could be a little more angular. The hem size though, it’s a bit short for my tastes. The sunflower is a nice touch.
?: Whoa, you’re pretty good at this.

(Paulina turns around to see a tall girl behind her. Her hair is dyed blonde with a ponytail wrapped by a thing black ribbon. Around her neck is a silver necklace.)

Paulina: Oh, thank you. Sorry, I didn’t see you there.
Girl: Well, you seemed to be really focused on your sketching, so I didn’t want to disturb you.
Paulina: That’s cool. What’s your name?
Girl: My name is Haruka. I’m the class rep for 2-A.
Paulina: Yeah, that’s the class where what’s her name is from.
Haruka: I was not aware we had any new classmates named what’s her name.
Paulina: Yeah, sorry, I haven’t been much of a name collector mood lately. I do know she’s hanging out with Danny.
Haruka: Ah, you must mean Yuriko. Yeah, she’s kind of drawn to people with even a hint of fighting potential.
Paulina: Oh, then she better be wary of Sam. She’s what I like to call the clingy type. The two of them go way back.
Haruka: Ah, I wouldn’t worry too much about it. Let’s just say boys aren’t Yuriko’s type.
Paulina: Really? Wow. Care to discuss this over some bubble tea?
Haruka: Why not? I’m bored.

(Meanwhile in town, Danny is sitting at an outdoor table with Sam, Dani, Youngblood and Daigo in a café. Nearby, checking on her guitar is Ember.)

Danny: This town never ceases to amaze me. A café where ghosts can pass freely and no one’s the wiser.
Daigo: You can thank the locals for that. Many of our homes and businesses have special wards and seals in place. This helps to let permitted spirits wander undetected.
Ember: Good to know. Saves me the trouble of having people freak out.
Dani: Technically speaking, you can pass off for human.
Ember: I know, but my previous activities kind of got me blacklisted in some choice spots. Plus the flaming hair thing.
Danny: Let’s not forget the legions of adoring fans.
Ember: Never bring up Klemper again.
Sam: What amazes me is that someone your age is already a freshman in high school. You must be a genius or something.
Daigo: You’re just saying that because it’s true. My sister of course insists it’s some sort of clerical error.
Youngblood: Never underestimate the young. We can be very sneaky. By the way Sam, you’ve got company.
Sam: Again?! (Sam looks over her shoulder. Several shikigami have begun to gather around her.) These little guys have been following me everywhere.
Ember: They started appearing ever since Hiroshi told you to read that book.
Dani: I didn’t know you could attract so many shikigami like that. And you’re not even an omyonji.
Youngblood: You know what these guys are?
Dani: Well, yeah. Pops has a whole big damn library in his home. I can’t help but read when I’m in there. But it doesn’t explain why they’re here forming around her.
Youngblood: It could be that the book is controlling them. Maybe you can order them around.
Ember: That would be sweet!
Sam: Oh right. It’s not as simple as ‘Shikigami, go and fetch me an apple’.

(On cue, one of the shikigami darts off and comes back a few seconds later, carrying an apple within its grasp.)

Sam: Ok. So I guess it is that simple.
Ember: Cool.
Danny: Now these guys I would not mind having around the house.

(A couple of seconds later, a kunai with a note attached to it lands in the middle of the table, startling the group.)

Sam: WHOA!!
Danny: This is not what I expected when I wanted an instant messaging service here. (Daigo and Youngblood look out towards the roof nearby.)
Youngblood: Where’d it come from?
Daigo: Can’t say for sure. Whoever sent it out is long gone.
Danny: I have an odd feeling this one’s for me. (Danny takes the note off of the kunai.)
Sam: But who do we know out there who’d send a ninja assassin to deliver a note?
Danny: I’ll draw up the list of names later. Odd, it just says to meet them at the Muramasa Shrine tonight at 11.
Daigo: Muramasa shrine, huh? They just had to pick that place.
Sam: I don’t like it. It sounds like a trap.
Ember: All the more reason to spring it. Let’s go for it.
Danny: I’m rather curious about it myself actually. I don’t know if I should alert the professor.
Dani: You really don’t have to worry about that. (Dani point to the entrance of the café where York is standing, with a kunai of his own in hand.)
York: I see you got one too.

(Later on that night, Sam sits at the foot of her bed, frowning as Star does some yoga exercises.)

Sam: I am not worried, I am not worried, I am not worried…
Star: Keep telling yourself that, eventually you might believe it.
Sam: How can he just agree to go and run off to some shrine like that? It’s insane! For all he knows, he could be up against a squad of super ninjas there.
Star: Yeah, but York’s gone on ahead to make sure it’s fine.
Sam: Yeah. I guess it should be ok then.
Star: Be honest Sam, it’s not the challenge that’s worrying you. It’s Danny, right?
Sam: Well, DUH! He’s my friend.
Star: But you want more than that. Admit it, you’ve been getting quite uncomfortable with the idea of any other girl talking with him or making googly eyes at him. And he’s gotten ‘that look’ in his eyes since more and more boys started talking to you or tried to get your number. It’s so blatantly obvious you two have the hots for each other only a blind man couldn’t see it coming.
Sam: It’s kind of…well, complicated with him. Ok, not that complicated really, but it’s a huge step.
Star: It’s worth the gamble, trust me.
Sam: Yeah, but he kind of made me promise to stay here.
Star: And when have listening to Danny ever stopped you?
Sam: Good point. Where’s Ember? (The window opens and Ember peeks in.)
Ember: FINALLY!! I was wondering when what it would take to get you out of this room!
Sam: You were gonna leave without me?
Ember: Actually I was willing to wait at least half an hour. Now come on, dipstick’s got a lead on us.

(Sam smiles, picks up her nearby bag and leaves out the window with Ember.)

Star: Whew, I thought they’d never leave! Ok you two, they’re gone! (Tucker and Rei enter the room, each with a laptop in hand.)
Tucker: Nice touch using her emotions to get her out.
Star: Well, someone had to say it. I trust everything is in place.
Tucker: I planted the mini camera on Danny right before he left.
Rei: And if I am correct, Danny should be running into my friends soon.

(Meanwhile on the roofs of the town, Danny quickly runs. He is dressed in a black sweat shirt and grey pants. He has a satchel at his side and on his hands are a pair of gloves. Carefully he leaps and swings across to each roof.)

Danny: Sheesh, the roof jumping isn’t as easy as comic books and anime makes it out to be. Good, they’re here. (Danny leaps onto a nearby roof, where Yuriko and Hiroshi are waiting.)
Yuriko: Perfect timing!
Danny: Yeah, tell me about it. I lucked out tonight. Mom’s off on an errand in town and Dad’s working on his presentation for the class tomorrow.
Hiroshi: Muramasa Shrine’s entrance is a good 20 minutes away from here.
Danny: Thanks.
Yuriko: Well, let’s get going.
Hiroshi: You two go on ahead. I’ll catch up to you shortly.

(As Danny and Yuriko run off, Hiroshi turns and looks down towards the bushes nearby.)

Hiroshi: Ok you three, come on out! (Dani, Youngblood and Daigo peer out from their hiding spots.)
Dani: Oh man!
Daigo: How’d he know?
Hiroshi: I can sense the energy coming from him you know. Even if he is using an artificial body, I’m still able to sense it.
Youngblood: Wow, you’re good.
Hiroshi: Thank you. Come on, let’s walk. I don’t really like roof jumping and I expect we’ll be meeting Sam and Ember any minute.

(At the steps gates leading to Muramasa Shrine is York and Shizuru, waiting for their students to arrive.)

York: You know, there is something I’ve been trying to figure out…
Shizuru: I swear, Hotsuma was the one who ate the last of the donuts.
York: No, not that. It’s actually about Dani.
Shizuru: Oh, you mean how was she able to last for so long without degenerating.
York: Yeah. The shot I gave her with the Fenton Dejecto, as well as using a sample of DNA from Danny, was all I needed to permanently stabilize her, but there was something else I noticed. In the times she used her powers, they were somewhat limited, almost as if someone had made sure that she couldn’t use them at full capacity.
Shizuru: Well, you can thank me for that.
York: How so?
Shizuru: I suspected that there was something, well, unique, about Dani when I first encountered her. After I saw her use her powers for the first time, I decided to make sure she couldn’t rely on them too much. So I placed a seal on her. Not only did it keep her powers safely in check, but it redirected the reserve built up energies to her body.
York: Well, that sure explains why she’s so strong.
Shizuru: And I guess it would be moot to point out that she is still carrying that pesky seal with her. Do you want me to tell you how to undo it?
York: Not yet. No, not quite yet. I think there’s still much for me to teach her. Ah, our students are here. (Danny and Yuriko arrive.)
Yuriko: Hoshino-sensei! What are you doing here?
Shizuru: I received an express mail kunai myself. Least I could do was make an appearance.
Danny: Well, we’re here. Whoever sent us those messages sure picked a spooky spot to hold a fight.
York: Yes, the shrine hasn’t been inhabited for ages. In the old days it used to be a rendezvous point for shogunate officials.
Danny: So, any idea what this could be all about?
Shizuru: Not exactly, but I have a pretty good hunch. We swept the place for traps, but everything looks clean.
Danny: Good. We kinda have some stragglers on the way.
York: I figured. Danny and I will go on ahead.
Danny: let’s go. (Danny and York go up on the stairs onto the path leading up towards the shrine.)
Yuriko: I’m surprised that you hardly ever mentioned him before.
Shizuru: It’s a bit of a long story. He has a troubling habit or either keeping to himself or disappearing on some odd journey every now and then.
Yuriko: So, it made dating him difficult then?
Shizuru: It wasn’t like that! (Sam arrives with Ember.)
Sam: Man, I am never running that hard ever again!
Ember: Next time, we take a taxi.
Sam: Ok, where’s Danny? What’s going on?
Yuriko: Oh, Sam! He went on ahead with York to the shrine.
Shizuru: And it looks like you aren’t the only ones worried about him. (Shizuru points to the arriving Hiroshi, who is accompanied by Daigo, Dani and Youngblood.)
Ember: Hey, what kept you guys? I was wondering why you were dragging your feet.
Daigo: Blame Hiroshi.
Dani: Yeah, he insisted on taking the scenic route.
Youngblood: The scenic route wasn’t too bad.
Dani: You’re only saying that because you got to go to a store to pick up a copy of Ultra V-Jump.
Youngblood: Hey, you insisted on buying at least two bags of snacks before we got here.
Ember: Yeah, uh, I kinda asked her to pick up some snacks for me when she had the chance.
Dani: Here you go. (Dani tosses a couple of rice balls towards Ember.)
Yuriko: And does Mom and Dad know you’re here?
Daigo: Duh, of course, who do you think sent me? They thought it was unusual to see you slip out of the house so suddenly.
Yuriko: Ah, figures!
Shizuru: In any case, Sam go on ahead with Yuriko. I need to speak with the others.
Sam: Thanks.
Ember: I’m going too. I sense a lecture coming and that bores me to death. (Sam, Yuriko and Ember start up the path.)
Youngblood: What does she mean by that?
Shizuru: Well, there’s something important that I need to tell all of you about. First things first- do you have a melon roll in there?
Dani: But of course.

(Meanwhile, at the end of the path, Danny and York arrive at Muramasa Shrine.)

Danny: Wow. If someone wanted a spooky ninja duel at night, this is the perfect place to do it.
York: Indeed it is. I think I remember Hamato-sensei telling me of a match he had here.
Danny: Remind me to ask about it later. Looks like our guests are here.

(Two figures step out of the shadows in the shrine. One is a rather stout figure, dressed in a grey gi with a noh mask obscuring the face. The other is a considerably taller person in a black gi with a sleeveless vest and grey tabi boots. The face is covered by a white kitsune mask.)

Danny: This is the story of my life. 2 weeks here and I get challenged by ninja.
S. Ninja: You are Danny Fenton, son of Madeline Fenton, correct?
Danny: That would be me.
S. Ninja: We need to confirm something with our own eyes. That is why we have called you out here tonight.
Danny: Ok, I’m game. Let’s get this over with. I’ve got a test on Nobunaga in the morning.
York: Danny, are you sure? You don’t even know the terms of the fight yet.
Danny: It’s ok. I’ve got a good feeling about this.
York: That’s how it begins. Then arms get broken.
S. Ninja: The rules of this match are that the winner will be determined via a knockout or submission. If I deem it so, I will stop the fight myself. This is strictly one on one, so no one shall interfere or the match is forfeit.

(The other ninja nods in agreement to the rules, then leaps high and lands at the center of the clearing, in front of the shrine.)

York: Very well. Danny, be careful. I’ve got a feeling about this one.
Danny: I know, I know. (Danny walks to the center and exchanges bows with his opponent.)
O. Ninja: So, I hear that York has been teaching you to fight.
Danny: Oh, more or less. (Danny takes a stance)
O. Ninja: We’ll see just what he’s taught you. (Assumes own stance.)
S. Ninja: And…begin.

(With these words the fight begins. The ninja begins the initial assault by going with a series of rapid fire jabs and hooks, all aimed at Danny’s head or chest. Danny, in turn, concentrates mostly on dodging or intercepting the incoming blows with a few blocks. As one hook nearly lands on his jaw, Danny attempts to grab the wrist, but his opponent, sensing his intent, draws the hand back quickly and hops backwards a couple of steps, maintaining their stance while checking the wrist.)

Danny: You backed off quickly.
O. Ninja: I had to. If I didn’t, you’d have me in a wristlock or try to use the advantage to get me in a hold.
Danny: You think?
O. Ninja: I know. You’ve been trying to gauge my speed & see if you could catch me off guard, looking for an opportunity to end this quickly. Sound strategy.
Danny: Yeah, so I’m guessing that won’t work on you.
O. Ninja: It could, if you’re able to catch me. I guess it would be an insult to hold back on you from here on.
Danny: What?

(Almost immediately, the ninja closes the distance between them, tagging Danny on the side of his jaw with a stinging hook. Danny is slightly stunned, but aware enough to dodge the follow up punch aimed for his opposite jaw side, as well as the straight punch aimed for his upper chest. Danny is now on the defensive as he begins to duck and parry away a rapid and brutal barrage of punches and strikes all aimed primarily at his head and chest. But soon, as Danny leans back to avoid an uppercut, he barely intercepts a fast spinning back kick that is blocked by raising both his arms.)

Danny: Whoa!! That was close.
O. Ninja: Come on, don’t hesitate. If you do, I promise I’ll make you pay for it.
Danny: (thinking to himself) Yeah, this ninja is a lot tougher than I’m being led to believe. Looks like I’ll have to take a more aggressive approach now.

(Danny exhales, then begins to throw a few rapid jabs of his own. As the ninja quickly parries them away, Danny then tries to catch his target off guard by throwing a quick roundhouse. His foe narrowly raises their guard in time to absorb the blow, as well as the spinning back fist that he goes for. Fueled by confidence, Danny renews his attacks, mixing in a variety of punches with a few randomly placed front and roundhouse kicks. But as Danny goes for a leaping spinning back kick, his opponent jumps and nails him with a kick to the chest, sending Danny back.)

Danny: Damn!!
O. Ninja: Don’t tell me you’re giving up that soon.
Danny: Trust me, I’m just getting started.

(Danny quickly reaches into his satchel and pulls out several shuriken, then tosses them at his opponent. But before they even reach, the ninja extends a collapsible staff and twirls it in a circle, deflecting them all away.)

York: I see. I guess there was no avoiding this at all. (Sam, Ember and Yuriko arrive at the nearby gate, next to York.)
Sam: Danny!
Ember: Whoa, who’s the chick with the staff and sweet ninja gear?
Danny: Wait, you can tell that’s a woman?
Sam: Duh, the breasts under hat vest of hers was a dead giveaway!
Yuriko: Seriously.
York: In any event, this is an interesting match.
O. Ninja: I agree. Now, fight me with your full power Danny. Stop holding back.
Danny: I’m sorry, what do you mean?
O. Ninja: I know all there is to know about you and your friends. There’s no need to keep any secrets with me.
York: It’s ok Danny.
Sam: Professor, are you sure…
York: Trust me Sam. Besides Danny would have done it anyway.
Danny: And since the teacher gave his official approval, then it’s fine by me. (Danny sighs and transforms into his Danny Phantom persona.) Alright, lets do this.
O. Ninja: I’m surprised. You’re willing to fight me with no weapons?
Danny: Not quite. (Danny raises his right arm. Almost immediately, the energy forms and gathers until a large sword, in the shape of a katana and comprised of solid ecto energy, forms in his hand. It glows a bright green as Danny grips it.)
Yuriko: Whoa. Now that’s a handy power.
Danny: I’ve been trying to repress it for so long, but I figured with the upcoming battle, I need all the help I can get. So, unknown to everyone, I’ve been training to master it. Not only can I control the energy, but I can bend and shape it to any size I can carry.
O. Ninja: Interesting. But let’s see now how you can use it in battle.

(With a sudden burst of speed, the ninja attacks with her staff and just as quickly Danny goes on the defensive, raising the sword block the incoming strike to the left side of his head, then just as quickly blocks the two follow up attacks aimed at his ribs. The ninja then turns her body and swings at Danny’s leg sweeping him onto his back. As he makes contact with the ground, she leaps and raises the staff high, intent on striking him hard. Literally at the last second, Danny goes intangible, letting the staff strike the earth and shattering it all around. Becoming tangible again, Danny raises his free hand and fires at the ninja with a few ecto-blasts, but she manages to back flip away from each of them. As she does so, Danny gets up quickly and, with a burst of speed, flies towards the ninja as she lands from the final back flip and attempts to knock her out with a haymaker. But she manages to duck the attempt and, sticking her staff into the ground, uses it to spin around and nail Danny in the jaw with the heel of her foot, knocking him down. Rolling backwards as soon as he hits the ground with his body, Danny springs back on his feet and freezes the ground in front of him using an ice beam as the ninja dashes towards him. Without losing a beat, the ninja slides on the ice, then leaps over Danny and before he knows it, lands behind him. He finds one end of the bo staff aimed at the middle of his face, but she finds the point of his sword aimed at her throat.)

S. Ninja: Enough. The match is now over.
Ember: A draw? Lame.
Yuriko: Yeah, I was hoping for at least a TKO!
Sam: Professor, what was all of this about? Who are these people?
York: It's hard to explain, but this was not just some random challenge. This was a test to properly gauge Danny's abilities. (The ninja lowers her weapon as Danny changes back.)
Sam: So far, I'm guessing that Danny did well.
S. Ninja: Oh you could say that.
York: As for who these people are, Yuriko should already know one of them.
Yuriko: Yeah. I was wondering when he'd fess up. Ok sensei, you can ditch the mask. (The Short Ninja removes his mask to reveal himself as Hamato.)
Hamato: Nice to see you too, star pupil!
Ember: Ok, that just leaves the femme fatale here.
Danny: Yeah, who is she, Yuriko's mom?
Yuriko: Would not surprise me if it was. Believe me, my mom can kick like a mule!
York: Yes, about that...it is someone's mom all right.
Sam: Wait a sec, you can't mean...

(The ninja removes her mask to reveal the face of Maddie Fenton. Danny's jaw drops)

Danny: MOM!!!
Maddie: Oh don't look so shocked hon. I do keep an active night life.
Danny: Look Mom, I can explain but you gotta promise not to go ballistic and blast Ember!
Ember: Oh yeah, she is the type to shoot first and dissect later. Lucky me.
Sam: It's a really long story, Mrs. Fenton. It'd probably take three seasons to explain it of it was a TV show.
Maddie: It's probably not as complicated as figuring out why shikigami keep appearing around you in the dorm. Yes, I can see them, even without the Fenton Goggles.
Danny: So, you knew all this time about us then.
Maddie: More or less. I got suspicious after what happened during the school trip. York's appearance later on made it clearer. Especially after the meeting in the alley and on the roof.
York: You must mean the day I saved Dani.
Maddie: Yeah. I thought I recognized that quick draw.
Danny: Oh boy, uh I don't suppose we could, you know take our time and not reveal any of this to Dad just yet?
Sam: I'm still trying to figure out how she managed to keep tabs on us like this all this time and not raise our suspicions.
Ember: What's done is done girl. She knows the secret, end of discussion. I say we grab a bite to eat and hammer out the details over it. (A small wisp of blue vapor escapes Danny's lips.)
Danny: That'll have to wait! We've got company. Lots of it.
Hamato: Yes. And I don't think they brought tea and rice crackers with them!
?: Oh, we'll be enjoying that...on your graves unfortunately!

(On the roof of the shrine stands Penelope Spectra, dressed in a purple version of her battle gear.)

Maddie: Well well, Spectra!! I guess you came here for a rematch!
Yuriko: Oh God, its Martha Stewart's evil twin!
Spectra: HEY! I look hot for my age! I was hoping to rid myself of Danny here, but I never figured I'd get an opportunity to kill those who foiled my plans at the Olde Amity Library. Ah, luck truly be a lady.
Ember: Yeah, she can be a real bitch too. No, wait, that's just you!
Sam: Snazzy.
Ember: Thanks.
Spectra: Oh, cute retort. I've got the perfect playmates for you!

(Suddenly, the group finds themselves surrounded by a large assortment of oni and demons, each of various shapes and sizes. Some have makeshift weapons.)

Danny: Whoa. This makes me almost wish I was fighting Box Ghost.
Sam: Tell me about it. This may get tricky.
Spectra: Oh that's not the fun part! (At her side suddenly appear two male masked oni and one female one. One male wields a nodachi and the other a kusarigama with a weighted chain while the female has a naginata.)
Yuriko: Oh boy. This looks fun.
Spectra: Meet the Hebi Clan. Demon ninjas who have a nice little score to settle with your new ninja friends. And believe me, it's a lot!
Danny: Ok, demon ninjas. This really could be troublesome.
Hamato: Indeed. These are no ordinary oni, young one.
Yuriko: Like that's ever stopped me.
Maddie: Enthusiasm noted, but let us handle those 4. Spectra's mine, I've got a personal score of my own to settle with her.
York: In that case...(a puff of smoke later and York is in his Monk attire, his sword still in the simple staff sheath.) Who is your opponent, sensei?
Hamato: I suppose I'll take the sickle wielder.
York: I always get the sword guys. (As an oni dashes forward, with it's club raised to strike down York, it's suddenly beheaded. Shizuru appears besides him wielding a chokuto of her own.)
Shizuru: Guess that means I get the naginata wielder.
York: Wow, a chokuto?
Shizuru: Grandpa had it in his attic.
York: Hey, what about--
Daigo's voice: We're up here!!

(Everyone looks to see, standing on a tree branch, Daigo along with Dani and Youngblood. Dani has already transformed while Daigo has a pair of sai in his hands.)

Dani: So, we miss anything yet?
Danny: No. You're just in time. (Danny activates the Fenton Blade.)
York: Now then, let’s get this over with. I've got some papers to grade and a class to teach tomorrow morning.
Ember: Fine with me. you heard him kids...LET'S ROCK!!


(End of Chapter 6!!!)



And now a special, cosplay themed edition of Otaku Filler Theater!!


(I arrive at the scene, still dressed in the Shinsengumi uniform.)

Me: Hey! No, I can’t explain why I tend to take my sweet ass time between chapters. The details would bore you anyway and no one wants to hear about what happens behind the scenes at Toys R’ Us in Time Square anyway. The point of today’s segment is about us cosplaying! But where’d Dani go? (Dani arrives, dressed in a black and white version of the Shinsengumi uniform.)
Dani: Here I am!.
Me: Cool choice and all, but why the different color scheme?
Dani: I’m not particularly fond of the color blue. (Zuko arrives dressed in a fire red and white version of the uniform.)
Zuko: Honestly, I gotta say it feels comfortable. But I still don’t see why you made me switch swords.
Me: Uh, unless my history is wrong, I never recalled any of the Shinsengumi members wielding dual Dao swords, no matter how sweet it would look.
Zuko: Gotcha.
Dani: But why dress up for this edition anyway?
Me: Oh, I thought I’d liven the mood a little. Fun little distractions like that keep us from going insane.
Zuko: Sure, but did it have to be Ty Lee to help me pick a costume? You have no idea of what I had to endure.
Dani: Mai couldn’t be found. And if we sent Sokka go with her…
Me: Or Suki. Or Toph. Or, at the most extreme, Azula…
Zuko: Oh. Never mind. (Sokka comes out, dressed as a Soul Reaper.)
Sokka: From now on I want approval before anyone decides to include me in any games requiring me to become bait.
Dani: But you are such a good runner.
Sokka: THAT’S BESIDES THE POINT!! Anyway, why are we here?
Me: Well…(I pull out a poster.) Some friends of mine asked us to help promote their business and hopefully kickstart a new food franchise across Japan.
Sokka: In short, you sold us out for free eats.
Me: I did not!
Sokka: Yeah right.
Zuko: Especially hard to believe since you have a bowel of ramen in your hands.
Dani: Which reminds me: Ichiraku Ramen? (Dani points to the Ichiraku Ramen store that everyone is in front of.)
Me: Yup. They needed some extra funds after Pain hit Konoha. And word has it that they have a place opening up in Karakura Town. (Uryu, dressed as Goemon Ishikawa VIII, steps out of Ichiraku.)
Uryu: I fail to see why you have me dressed as an associate of Lupin III. My new Quincy uniform is a far more superior choice.
Dani: Uh…
Zuko: The whole point of cosplay is to dress as someone else.
Sokka: And honestly, the Quincy uniform kind of…sucks.
Uryu: HEY! The Quincy uniform is a majestic design! And it’s far more effective than those Water Tribe outfits!
Sokka: HEY! Those are warrior clothes you’re messing with!
Me: (Completely ignoring them) So, how are you guys enjoying it so far?

(I turn to a table where DarkDP, Anita and DWolf are seated, clip boards in hand. DarkDP has a Ghostbusters uniform on, Anita is dressed as Yuki Nagato and DWolf is dressed as Ryoga Hibiki.)

Dark: Hey, all good.
Anita: The free food is a nice bonus.
DWolf: Thanks for the cameo and all, but could you have at least given me the option of choosing my own costume?
Me: Sorry, but thems the rules of getting a cameo in the Filler Theater.
Dark: The upside is that aside from free press, you get free food.
Anita: The down side is that sometimes you get admirers that give you unwanted attention. (Kon leaps on the table in front of Anita.)
Kon: Ma’am, your very costume captures the sublime quiet beauty of Yukari! May I suggest a cute and cuddly mascot to compliment your—

(Kon is quickly silenced as I drop an elbow on him and smash him away with a bokken.)

Me: SHE DOESN’T NEED YOU!!
DWolf: I’m guessing that is normal.
Dark: Oh yeah, it is.
Me: Hey, where’s Timmy?
Timmy’s Voice: I’M NOT COMING OUT!!
Dani: Oh come on, you look really cute.
Timmy’s Voice: I DON’T CARE!! I WON’T DO IT!
Me: The sooner you get out here, the sooner it ends.
Timmy’s Voice: …fine.

(A few seconds later, Timmy walks out muttering to himself, dressed as Sanrio’s Badtz Maru.)

Me: Wow.
Timmy: First one that laughs gets a face full of my foot, I swear.
Zuko: It’s uh…
Uryu: Very fitting.
Sokka: You always seem to get saddled with the cute and cuddly mascot costumes.
Timmy: It wasn’t my choice, the designer was insistent on me wearing this outfit. (A girl squeals in delight.) Who was that?
Me: Don’t look now, but you have an admirer. (Paulina dashes towards Timmy.)
Paulina: SO CUTE!! But I think he’d look so much better dressed as this! (Paulina holds up a sketch of a cat costume.)
Timmy: You can’t possibly be considering making me wear that.
Anita: I don’t know, I wouldn’t mind seeing that.
Timmy: Not you too.
Paulina: I’m sure I can do better than the designer of his costume. That’s it, I’m officially declaring a challenge!
Me: Oh no.
Dani: Not that.
Paulina: I declare an open cosplay design challenge by yours truly!
Me: Please stop saying that word!
Paulina: I have practiced long and hard in design and will take on all comers!
Dani: If those words are heard by her…
Paulina: So who will accept my challenge to—
?: PI-YAAAA!!!!

(From out of nowhere, a pair of feet missile dropkicks Paulina in her head and sends her flying into a stand nearby. Those pair of feet belongs to Tootie, cosplaying as Haruhi Suzimiya)

Tootie: A challenge huh? So, you dare openly challenge the T.N.T. Brigade? I accept your proposal!
Zuko: Uh, silly question time.
Timmy: The Tootie ‘n Timmy Brigade.
Zuko: Never mind. Forget I asked. (Paulina rises from the rubble.)
Paulina: A simple ‘yes’ would have been better, you know.
Tootie: It was her idea! (Sam walks by, dressed as a Soul Reaper captain.)
Paulina: Very well. We each take two guys and dress them up in the appropriate costume. Whoever the audience picks wins!
Tootie: Fine by me! Chose your victims—err, subjects!
Paulina: Come on you two, I’m gonna make you even more handsome! (Paulina grabs Sokka and Zuko by the wrists.)
Sokka: Whoa, wait!!
Zuko: Don’t bother fighting it, Sokka. We were involved whether we knew it or not. (The two are dragged off.)
Tootie: As Vice President of the T.N.T. Brigade, it’s mandatory for you to participate!
Me: What? How’d I get to be Vice President?!
Uryu: I volunteered you after you made me Secretary.
Tootie: Ok, Timmy, let’s get you out of that uniform!
Timmy: Wait, NOT IN PUBLIC!
Anita: This is weirder than usual.
Dark: Yeah, I know.
DWolf: Wow, he wears boxers.
Dani: I’d thought he would be a briefs kind of guy.

How will the cosplay contest go down? Does Paulina have any surprises in store? What will Tootie do to answer the challenge? Are there any time travelers, aliens and ESPers among the ranks of the T.N.T. Brigade? How did Uryu get to be a member? And how some no Naruto cast members showed up at Ichiraku Ramen?

Shikamaru: That I can explain. Look over there. (Sai is reading from a scroll to Naruto, Sakura and Hinata.)
Sai: In order to keep the bloodline of all Hokage and Hokage candidates from dying out, the law of Konohakure shinobi permits the party in question to have more than one spouse, or permits the practice of Saishoudoukin.
Naruto: Wait, WHAT?!
Sakura: This presents a problem.
Hinata: Yes, I’m not too sure I’m comfortable with the idea of being a mistress.
Sakura: I don’t either. So, I think it would be better if the idiot marries us both.
Hinata: The law does permit it. Of course, we need to figure out who gets him first.
Naruto: Oh man, I am in a pickle.
Neji: I’d like to have a few words with you, Naruto!


In the next chapter, after a huge fight, Danny is given a choice that will make him become stronger, but he must stay in Japan for 3 months in order to do so. Sam and Ember take the next step in their journey together and one of the classmates of Danny will say their final goodbyes as they stay behind in Japan. Oh, and did I mention the Valentine date with Danny and Paulina?

Oh yeah…Danny Fenton vs. Dash Baxter, 1 on 1!!


Theme Songs for “Progress”

“Heat of the Battle” and “Storm Center”- Shirō Sagisu (From the ‘Bleach’ OST)

“Hammer”- Pelican City
Sign up to rate and review this story