Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > Broken

Broken [Part Four]

by SweatPatches 0 reviews

Part Four

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: R - Genres: Drama,Horror,Romance - Characters: Bob Bryar,Frank Iero,Gerard Way,Mikey Way,Ray Toro - Published: 2009-12-17 - Updated: 2009-12-18 - 6035 words - Complete

0Unrated
‘Hello.’ A young girl said as she opened the door. She was tiny. Both in size and figure. She was a little shorter than me and her tiny figure made me wonder if she ate or not.

‘Hello. My brother Mikey sent us.’ Gerard said quietly.

‘Mikey Way? Yes, he called. Come in, quick.’ She opened the door, standing aside for us to go past. We entered a living room. 2 couches surrounded a TV and one chair sat in the corner with a bookshelf to its left.
‘Come this way.’ She said, placing her hand on Gerard's back. She led us to a computer room. How a computer would help, amazed me. I’d read a lot of myths and none of them described turning human.

‘I’m sorry for coming at such an early hour.’ Gerard apologized, taking a seat on a small couch. He pulled me to sit on his lap.

‘Well, you can’t come during the day, now can you?’ She said sarcastically.
‘Frank, come here.’ She said, patting a chain chair. It didn’t have chains hanging off it, it was made of chains. They entwined to make the legs, weaved for the seat and made a pretty cool design on the back. I reluctantly sat on the chair. She pressed her ear against my chest.
‘Not very strong… Just in time I see.’ She whispered, opening a book I hadn’t noticed. I looked over at Gerard, who was twiddling his thumbs. I noticed he wasn't breathing either. I couldn’t tell if it was because of me or Rose… If she was even human.

‘She’s not.’ Gerard whispered. Rose looked up from her book and looked questionably at Gerard.
‘Frank was thinking.’ He whispered again, still not breathing.

‘Gerard, if this is difficult for you, please leave. Frank can’t stress his heart too much by worrying about you.’ Rose said a little rudely, returning to her book.

‘I’m fine.’ He said, dropping his head into his hands.

‘You don’t like the way I smell, do you?’ I whispered.

‘It’s not that, baby. It’s just… You smell so sweet… Exactly how you did. I can still taste it.’ He groaned, gripping 2 handfuls of hair.

‘Leave, Gee. If this is hard for you.’ I said, fearing for my life for the first time since I’d met him. I was practically dead when I first met him so I wasn't scared then. Now, I was.

‘No. I can handle it.’ He hissed through clenched teeth.
After a few moments of silence, Rose finally snapped the book shut. I jumped at the sharp sound.

‘Your case is strange. Mikey told me what happened, how this all started and it’s not normal…. Not that this whole situation is at all normal.’ She babbled.
‘We need to do a ritual. It’ll only take about an hour but I need as much help as I can get. Gerard,’ she turned to face Gerard, who snapped his head up.
‘I’ll need you to be there. He needs to be bitten again.’ I saw the look on his face. He was scared.

‘I… I don’t know if I can do that.’ He said.

‘You have to. Your venom is still in his system and anyone else’s will destroy him. I’ll have people there to help you along, pull you away if you lose control.’
He just nodded. I knew he feared it all.
‘Okay. I’ll set it all up. Next full moon, we’ll do it. The energy is stronger.’ She said, motioning for us to stand.
Gerard leant in, ready to pick me up but I took a quick step away.

‘Don’t push yourself.’ I said. He closed his eyes and nodded.

‘You have 5 minutes till the sun rises.’ Rose informed us, pushing us out the front door.

‘We have to be quick, baby.’ Gerard said regretfully. He pulled me onto his back again and started running.
As soon as we were back amongst our friends, he dropping me on my feet and ran towards the rooms. I sighed and turned towards everyone. My newly beating heart almost stopped. Bob and Ray stood with their backs to me, arms spread to hold back Nic and the new girl. They were strong and were putting up a good fight. I pressed my back up against the wall, truly terrified of them. Their faces were the ones of murders and I was their target.
The new girl was fast. She’d slipped from Ray’s grip and ran at me. I closed my eyes and cringed back, waiting for her to rip me apart. I didn’t feel a think so I opened my eyes. Right in front of my face was the new girl, snapping her teeth inches from my face. Ray had her arms, struggling to keep her off me.

‘Frank! Get out of here!’ Bob yelled, trying to keep Nic from passing. As soon as those words passed his lips, Gerard came bursting through the door. He took one look at the scene in front of us and grabbed me around the waist and ran. He took me to his room. No-one had even touched the door, in fear that I would rip their heads off.
Gerard sat me down on his double bed but sat in the rocking chair on the opposite side of the room. Again, he wasn't breathing.

‘Gerard, I’m sorry. I’ve fucked everything up.’ I said, bringing my knees up to my chest.

‘No you didn’t. We don’t know what caused this so no-one is to blame. I’m sorry I can’t be near you now but it’s safer for you till I can get used to it.’ He whispered. I could barely hear him. I’d forgotten human ears weren’t as strong as vampires.
‘I forgot too.’ He said, a little louder.

‘I’ll go to my room.’ I said, standing up. Gerard was at my side, leaving the rocking chair swaying. He pushed me back onto the bed gently and sat near me. Not next to me like we would have.

‘No. If the girls get past them, they’ll get you. If you’re here with me, I can protect you.’ He said. I nodded and just sat there. I was afraid to touch anything in case it left my scent and drove Gerard madd. I could see him shifting further away from me slowly out of the corner of my eye. I sighed and got up from the bed, coring the room and sitting with my back against the furthest wall from him. I brought my knees to my chest so I was as small as possible. I felt a sudden wave of emotion and broke down in tears. My heart began to race in my chest. It felt strange. After 20 years of nothing, it felt foreign.
‘Baby, what’s wrong?’ Gerard asked, sitting in front of me with his hands on my knees.

‘I-I… I’m fucking mortal! No-one can be around me! I fucking hate it! Everyone wants to fucking eat me!’ I yelled, hugging myself.

‘Shh, baby. Come here.’ He whispered, lifting me with ease and putting me in his lap. I tried to get away but he held me to him.
‘It’s okay. I won’t hurt you. You know that.’ He promised. I sobbed into the crook of his neck, still hugging myself tight. I was more holding myself together than hugging. Like there was a huge hole in me.

‘Sing for me?’ I asked, slowly calming down.

‘What do you want me to sing, baby?’ He asked, rubbing my back as my sobs faded.

‘Anything.’ I whispered.

‘Okay…. Put your hands on my waist, pull the fader. Run it back with original flavor.’ He sang, putting on a girly voice and moving his hips as he sang.
I started laughing, wiping tears from my face.

‘Trust you to sing Lady Gaga.’ I giggled. He always knew how to make me smile.

‘It’s been in my head for days.’ He shrugged. I nodded and rested my head back into his neck. He tensed up underneath me and he stopped breathing. Again, I tried to get away so he could breathe but he held be tighter.
‘It’s okay, baby. It’s not hard for me… the scent is just a little stronger now.’ He said, kissing the top of my head.

‘Do I smell better now?’ I asked, curios of what he thought.

‘You smell the same. It’s just stronger, like I said.’ He whispered, kissing my head again.
‘How do I smell?’ He asked.

‘Weird. Mortal senses suck. You smell like cigarettes and coffee… with a hint of… I don’t know, smells like Diesel Green.’ I giggled. I used to use Diesel Green when I was younger. It gave my mother a headache and reminded my father of his ex girlfriend. I used to give him funny looks when he’d call me Cassandra.

‘I love Diesel Green. That’s what you mainly smelt like when I first saw you… well, that and blood. And whiskey.’ He noted.
‘You weren’t drinking that night… your blood was clean.’ He looked confused. His eyebrows slanting in.

‘It was the men that stabbed me. They were drinking at a local bar.’ I said, remembering watching them as they left the pub and followed me for 3 blocks.

‘I’ve never asked, why were you out so late? Jersey isn’t a safe place to be at night.’

‘I was walking home from Jessica’s. We were on a date and we went back to her place… dirty minded girl.’ I giggled.
Gerard sighed, kissing my head again. I looked up at his troubled eyes.
‘What’s wrong?’ I asked, placing my hand on his cheek and stroking it with my thumb.

‘I took you away from everyone, Frankie. Your friends, your family. You had a life, I didn’t. Maybe this is a fresh start.’ He sighed. I looked up in horror.

‘I was as good as dead, babe. You saved me. And what friends? Jessica was my girlfriend but I didn’t love her like I love you. Don’t ever think for a second that I would want a different life. Without you, I have nothing. I am nothing.’ I said sternly, straddling his legs so I could be at his height.

‘You are not nothing. You are gorgeous, sweet and can do anything you set your mind to. You could go out there right now and start living. You could have a family, Frankie. A real family. A wife, kids. Just think, if I had called 911 like I planned to, you could have had all that instead of wasting 20 years down here. If I hadn’t had seen your face, you’d have that.’ He whispered the last part, hanging his head.

‘Don’t say that.’ I whispered as tears ran down my face. I cupped his face in my hands, making him look at me.
‘I don’t want a wife or kids. I don’t care about having a life. I have everything I need right here. A boyfriend who loves me, friends who would die for me. I don’t need anything else.’ I said, looking him right in the eye. I pressed my lips against his, forgetting I was mortal for a second. I pulled away quickly, searching his face for anger or any sign of hunger.

‘I can handle it, baby.’ He whispered before he near slammed his lips against mine. It was the first time I’d kissed him since he’s returned. It wasn't the kiss I wanted though. I wanted a full make-out but I couldn’t have that. His teeth were razor sharp and he wasn't allowed to bite me just yet.
He worked his lips gently against mine, careful to keep my skin away from his teeth.
After a moment of kissing, he pulled back. He didn’t look distressed or angry. Just happy.

‘I hate being mortal! All my cravings are coming back!’ I groaned, throwing my head back.

‘Like what, baby?’ Gerard asked, stroking my hair.

‘Cigarettes, coffee, sex…. Mmmm… chocolate.’ I moaned as I thought of the melting heaven in my mouth. All foods tasted like nothing. Like you were chewing or drinking air. Coffee left a certain aftertaste in your mouth but nothing more than that.

‘You sound like a pregnant woman!’ Gerard laughed. I scolded him when he wasn't looking. I sighed and thought of a cigarette in my mouth, the toxic smoke traveling down my throat. I felt something between my lips. When I looked, I saw a lit cigarette hanging there. I shrugged it off and took a draw.
‘Hey! That’s mine!’ Gerard said, trying to take the cigarette out of my hand.

‘Mine now. I don’t know where this came from.’ I said, taking another, long awaited, draw.

‘I watched it float from my packet in my draw. Stupid telekinesis.’ He whispered, folding his arms over his chest like a child.

‘Aww… poor baby.’ I cooed, placing the butt at his lips. He took a long draw and opened his lips slightly. I took the cigarette back and took another draw.

‘As for the other 3 cravings, I can only help with 2.’ He said before I passed him the rest of the cigarette.

‘I know but I wasn't asking. I’m perfectly happy now. Plus, it’s only teenage hormones. It’ll pass in a moment.’ I said, pecking his lips.

‘I’ll be back. Don’t move or leave my room please.’ He said as he picked me up and sat me back on his bed. I watched him as he walked out of the room. For the first time in months, I looked around his room. It hadn’t changed from when I was last in there. Still the same pictures on the wall. Some of his family, most of me. We’d gone through a stage where, everywhere we went, we had to photograph it. There were pictured of us in Italy, Paris. One of Gerard drinking from a Kangaroo when we went to Australia. Even one of us lying on his bed. His bedside table held a special picture. It was 2 years into our relationship and we’d finally taken the next step. He’d taken the picture just after we made love. We were naked, sweaty and smiling like fools. There was blood on the pillow behind Gerard’s head. It’s a well known fact that, when vampires have sex, we bite. There was a line of blood from my neck down past where the picture ended. It was my favorite picture that we’d ever taken.
‘That’s my favorite too.’ Gerard said, startling me as he walked back in with 2 cups of coffee and a bar of Cadburys chocolate.
‘Sorry. Forgot you can’t hear me.’ He giggled, placing one cup in my hands and the chocolate on the table in front of the picture.

‘Thank you!’ I almost screamed, trying to restrain myself from just mauling the chocolate.
‘What's a cigarette taste like to you?’ I asked randomly as I sipped at my hot coffee, trying to keep my mind away from the solid heaven.

‘Nothing, really. It’s more of a habit than anything else.’ He said, sitting next to me.

‘I feel sorry for you at the moment. You can’t taste chocolate.’ I said, picking up the bar and opening the wrapper. I broke off 2 pieces and handed him one.

‘Well, I’ll just have to feel sorry for you when you come back to this life. You’ll have tasted it and miss it even more than I do.’ He said, poking his tongue out at me.

‘Bitch.’

‘Cock sucker.’

‘Only to you.’ I giggled.

‘Suck it.’ He said, gripping his package through his jeans. I put my coffee down on the table, taking his too, and pushed him back on the bed. As I was about to un-do his jeans, he grabbed my wrists and pulled me to lie on top of him.
‘I was kidding, baby.’ He whispered.

‘I wasn't.’

‘Just get your strength up. You don’t need to do anything for me, baby.’ He said, pecking my nose.

‘What if I want to?’ I countered.

‘I won’t let you. I could hurt you.’ He said regretfully.

‘But you won’t. I trust you.’

‘When someone is in that much pleasure, they over-react. I can’t guarantee that I’ll be able to stop myself from hurting you.’ He said, stroking the length of my face with the back of his hand.
‘I’ve never been with you while you’re human, baby. I got used to being able to be rough and not hurt you. Now, I have to be very careful. You will break so easily. If my hand slips, I could crush your skull right now. I could go to kiss you and hurt you. You don’t understand how breakable humans are till you’re close to one.’ He said, still stoking my face. I sighed and nodded. I knew humans were breakable but I’d never had to be careful. When I was near humans, I was drinking from them. Back then, I was reckless and didn’t care if I killed my food. I had to control myself when I was with Gerard so he didn’t see that side of me. But when I fed alone, I went all out. Snapping necks, gouging skin. It was just what I did. That was me. I’d always clear my thoughts and think of happy things till one day I came back still thinking of how I killed 4 men. Gerard and I had a fight that night and we didn’t talk for a week.
‘I over-reacted.’ He said.

‘I hate when you do that. It’s so weird.’ I said absentmindedly. I was still thinking about the fight. I cried myself to sleep every night, never left my room till I had enough. I was the one that apologized, I was the one to break down in tears because I thought I’d lost him.
‘I really am sorry. I never meant to kill them… I couldn’t care less about them, is all.’

‘I was just upset that you lied to me for so long. I understand how hard it is to just let them walk free, blood pulsing in their systems. I would have understood, baby.’ He said.

‘I know. I just couldn’t let you see me like that. I was afraid you’d be disgusted.’

‘I would have helped you, not pushed you away.’ He said. I smiled at him and lay back on the pillows. He did the same and held my hand as we looked at the ceiling. He’d painted it but I’d never noticed it. The roof was black with a full moon, 2 dark figures lurking over a grave. I couldn’t see the name on the grave since my eyesight sucked.

‘When did you do that?’ I asked, not ever remembering seeing that.

‘Last night while you were sleeping. I was going to do the whole room but I couldn’t think of anything else. I wanted to paint you… but I know you’d yell at me for it.’

‘No, I’d just never come in here again.’ I said, still trying to read the grave.

‘It’s your dads.’ Gerard said, answering my thoughts again.
‘I remember visiting it while I was gone. I sat there for ages, just thinking about you.’

‘Why didn’t you just come back?’ I asked.

‘I was protecting you… well, I thought I was till I got a call from Mikey.’

‘Mikey called you? Wait? He knew where you were? Even after I begged him?’ I asked, a little pissed off. I’d begged and begged Mikey to see where Gerard was but he kept saying that Gerard hadn’t chosen a path. He was just wandering with no guide.

‘I told him not to tell anyone where I was. Either way, it didn’t help. The Takers still came after you.’ He sighed.

‘What?!’ I yelled.

‘You didn’t know that?’ He asked.

‘No… When was this?’

‘2 months ago. They were after you so I made a false track. I didn’t realize they were after both of us. After leading them half way to China, I got a call from Mikey saying that a few had broken down here and were looking for me.’ He said, watching my face.

‘How did I not know about this?’ I asked. I remembered some noises outside my door one night but thought nothing of it.

‘I guess Lara wanted you to stay calm and not bring me into anything. That’s why I came back. I watched over the entrance for a few weeks and that’s when I found you, asleep as the sun was rising.’

‘That seems pretty stupid now…’ I said, thinking of it.
‘Why did they want us, though?’

‘Well, if I spoke jiberish, I would have asked.’ He said sarcastically. I giggled and lay my head on his chest. He wrapped his arms around me.
‘Oh, the girls apologize. They feel really badd for acting like they did. They wanted to say it themselves but I wouldn’t let them in here.’

‘I forgive them. I take it as a compliment.’ I said, half serious.

‘How?’

‘I must smell nice if everyone wants to eat me.’ I laughed.

‘You do smell good. Your blood is sweeter to me than anyone else.’ Gerard said, tangling his fingers in my hair.

‘That’s good. I know you won’t eat me…. Yet.’

‘Frankie, I’m not going to eat you. Ever. I don’t think I can control myself around your blood. I will do what I have too to make you happy. Nothing more.’ He said. I sat up and opened the top draw of his bedside table. His pocket knife was still there, where it belonged.
‘What are you doing?’ He asked as I pulled the knife out. I clicked it open and pressed the blade to the inside of my wrist. The silver sliced my skin easily, leaving a deep, leaking cut. Gerard's eyes widened and he backed up.

‘I want to see if you can stop.’ I said, sitting close to him. He kept moving till he was in the corner. I sighed and straddled his thighs, making sure he couldn’t move. I lifted my bleeding wrist to his lips, waiting. He opened his lips a tiny bit, breathing on the cut. He looked up at me, pleading with his eyes.
‘I trust you.’ I said. He closed his eyes and set his lips on my wrist. He kissed the sliced skin first then let the blood spill into his mouth. His body froze.
After a moment, he began sucking again. I could feel a huge amount of blood being taken from me. It left me slightly lightheaded. I watched as his jaw tensed and he ripped himself away, smashing the back of his head against the stone wall. It did nothing to him but the wall had chipped.

‘Are you trying to make me kill you?’ He hissed. The blood had stopped seeping by then and I just tucked it into my chest. I wrapped my free arm around his neck and pressed myself up against him.

‘I told you, Gee. I trust you. You didn’t kill me, I’m still alive.’ I said, trying to make him see the way I did.

‘I could have killed you so fucking easily, Frank. Why can’t you see that? Is it because you’re not used to being so vulnerable?’ He spat. I felt my heart drop. He never called me Frank unless he was madd.
‘I-I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have said that.’ He whispered, wrapping his arms around me.

‘I love you, Gerard. I hope you know that.’ I whispered.

‘I know you do. It’s in your head. And I love you too.’ He said. There was a knock at the door. Just a few silent taps.
‘What?’ Gerard yelled even though there was no need. The door opened slightly, leaving enough space for someone to poke their head through.

‘Star is here.’ Lara said, poking her head in the gap. She wasn't breathing, like everyone else. I sighed and got off Gerard. I sat on the other end of the bed, away from everyone.
‘Frank, I’m sorry. I don’t want to hurt you.’ She said.

‘I’ve heard it all before. Just go.’ I said.

‘Frankie, it’s not her fault. Your blood is so appealing to everyone. Even Star thinks so and she’s hard to please.’ Gerard said when Lara had left the room. He slid closer to me, trying to get me to sit on his lap again. I just shrugged out of his grip.
‘What's wrong with you, Frankie? One second you’re all happy then you won’t let me touch you? I can’t keep up.’ Gerard said, hurt tainting his face.

‘It’s the human emotions.’ Someone said. Some strange girl was standing in the doorway. She dressed in, what looked like, latex. All black, skin tight and shiny with a large leather jacket. She had big black boots on. She reminded me of an assassin that actors portrayed in movies. I wouldn’t have been surprised if she pulled out a few guns.
‘He’s not used to them, having given them up for so many years.’ She said.

‘How do you know that?’ I spat, not really feeling up to having strange women explaining my life.

‘It’s your aura. It’s a rainbow, not just a specific colour. Don’t worry, you’ll be fixed in a few days.’ She turned to Gerard, who had been silent for a while.
‘Good to see your home. Relax a little, this is normal.’ She said. I heard Gerard mutter something but I couldn’t make it out. I saw the lady nod and shake her head.

‘Don’t mind me, I’m just going to go to my room till you’re done talking behind my back.’ I said harshly as I crossed the room and slammed the door without touching it. I only made it halfway to my room when Gerard came running out behind me.

‘Frankie.’ He called. He was about to grab my wrist but I flung him backwards. Like I said, when I’m angry or upset, my power went a little far.
‘I don’t know how many times I have to say it, I’m sorry. I’m sorry. I’m fucking sorry. I can’t keep up with your mood changes. I don’t know when you want me to touch you and when you don’t. I don’t know how to help you because your mind keeps shifting. I just can’t keep up.’ He said desperately. He still stood where he had landed, not even attempting to come any closer.

‘I don’t know what I’m doing, Gerard. I don’t know what’s wrong. I just can’t control anything and I want it to stop! I feel helpless and weak.’ I said, my hands shaking slightly. I could feel my heart racing. The feeling annoyed me beyond belief. I should have had a heart beat, let alone my own blood to spill.

‘Let me help you. Tell me what you want, what you need and I’ll get it. I’ll try to make you happy. Just let me help you, please?’ He begged. He took one small step towards me, testing the waters. When he saw that I wasn't going to stop him, he kept coming till he was in front of me.

‘Please help me, Gee. I need you.’ I whispered as I dropped into his arms.

‘Just 2 days, baby. 2 days and it’ll go away.’ He said. He curled his arm under my knees and placed one behind my back, lifting me up. He took me back to his room, where that strange woman was sitting in the rocking chair.

‘I don’t think I introduced myself. I am Star.’ She said offering her hand to me. I took it slowly, just gripping it.
‘Back to why I originally came. I hear you went to see my sister, Rose. She is good at what she does. Witchcraft is in our blood.’ She said.
‘During the ritual, I ask that you be wary of who you have around. I have spoken to Michael and he has warned both, Damien and I, about some unexpected visitors that we may or may not know. If something stops the ritual, Frank, here, is as good as dead.’ I looked at her, trying to see if she was kidding.

‘She’s not joking, Frankie. I already know this… That’s why we’re heading a few states out.’ He said.

‘What?!’ I yelled. No-one had told me I was leaving my home.
‘Why didn’t you tell me sooner?’ I asked Gerard, glaring at him.

‘You’re stressed enough as it is, Frankie. You need to be calm. Your heart is weak from being motionless for so long and causing too much stress could send you into cardiac arrest. You know what happens if we have to go to the hospital…’ He said, taking both my hands in his. I just nodded, trying to stay calm. I leaned forward, resting my head on his shoulder.

‘I will be accompanying you out of the state. Be up at 4.30 on Wednesday. Have a good day.’ She left the room without a backwards glance.

‘I’m scared, Gee.’ I said, still looking out the open door. Star had long since disappeared from view but I kept looking.

‘I know, baby. Just don’t think about it. It’ll be over soon.’ He said.
We lay on his bed for a while. Not talking, not moving. Just laying there with each other. Bob eventually came in, telling us it was okay for us to go out there.
Nic was sitting on the wooden table, hands behind her back. The new girl wasn't in sight at all.

‘Frank, I am so sorry! Please, forgive me.’ Nic said, fighting the urge to hug me. I could see she was also fighting the urge to snap my neck.

‘It’s okay. Everyone’s tried to take a snap at me now, so it’s fine.’ I said, staying close to Gerard. Not that I could leave his side even if I wanted to. He had my hand tight, making sure he could grab me if someone lost control.

‘Hey! I haven’t taken a snap at you yet.’ Bob said, crossing his arms over his chest. I giggled and took a few steps closer to him. His eyes narrowed in on me, his body rigid.

‘Frank, don’t push him.’ Gerard warned me. His eyes were on me but I knew his mind was on Bob. Whatever Bob was thinking was disturbing Gerard.

‘I just want to see if he’ll snap at me… I smell good, don’t I? Wanna taste?’ I whispered, grinning as I watched him quiver.

‘Frank… Please, stop this.’ Gerard whispered to me, tugging on my hand.
I sighed and stepped away from Bob. As soon as I was a few good feet away from him, he cracked up laughing.

‘See? Didn’t even make a move.’ He said smugly.

‘Please, Bryar. You were snapping, piece by piece. Any closer and I would have killed you.’ Gerard said, wrapping his arm around my waist. Bob nodded, defeated. He went and sat next to Nic on the table.

‘Gee?’ I said, looking up at him. He looked down and ‘hmm’d’ so I knew I had his attention.
‘I’m going to my room. I feel wrong being out here.’ I whispered. Bob and Nic could still hear me but it was my way of telling them that I didn’t want them to butt in.

‘Okay, baby. I’ll go see Mikey and I’ll be in soon, okay?’ He asked. I nodded and kissed his cheek before walking through the large doors and trekking to my room.
I kept looking behind me, watching for someone to just jump out of their room and take me. Most of the people that lived in the Underground slept in a tent or a cabin. The Underground was a few million years old so the rooms that we inhabited were already there. Before Gerard had saved me, he was down there with just Mikey. They went exploring one day, going further than anyone had before. They ended up finding the main room and the 10 bedrooms. He and Mikey kept it a secret. They claimed their own rooms and when they finally met Bob and Ray, they joined them too. I was next to join their little coven. Then Nic and the New Girl.
I made it to my room, closing the door quietly and passing over to my wardrobe. I went searching, not for clothes, for my photo stash. I’d hidden them from everyone.
I pulled out 3 large albums and sat on my bed, flicking through them. I’d ordered them from the oldest to the newest.
There were so many of us, just being stupid, hanging out. Whatever we did, Gerard had his camera.

Gerard entered my room when I’d just finished the 2nd album.

‘Hey, Gee.’ I smiled up at him. He sat next to me, looking over my shoulder.

‘Hey, Frankie. You’re happy.’ He stated, twirling my hair in his fingers.

‘Yeah. I don’t know why. Just am. Love you.’ I said, putting the albums on the floor.

‘Love you too baby.’ He kissed my cheek.

‘Hey, Gee…. Would you mind if I went out for a minute?’ I asked, suddenly getting an idea. I felt like I needed his permission first.

‘Where to, baby?’

‘I want to see my dad… Just to show him I can be in the sun.’ I said, falling back against his chest.

‘Okay, baby. I’ll walk to the entrance. Don’t be too long okay? And tell him I said hey.’ He asked.

‘Course not.’ I jumped up off the bed, dragging Gerard out the door and down the hall. He slowed me down when we came to the open area. He picked me up and cradled me like a baby as we walked along. People were glaring, sniffing the air and running away. I just giggled.
Gerard set me down a few feet from the door. On the wall next to the door was a clock. It was 1.32pm and the sun would be angling in, shining in the open doorway.

‘Love you.’ Gerard said, kissing me before pushing me towards the already opening door. I slowly stepped into the bright sun light. I half expected to start drying out. But I didn’t. I stood in the sunshine, feeling it warm my skin. I turned to face Gerard before the door closed. He had this camera again, snapping a few pictures.
‘You’re so beautiful baby.’ He said.

‘I wish you could come out here with me.’ I sighed. It felt kind of wrong for me to be in the sun without him. It felt like an experience we should have shared together.

‘I wish I could, baby. I really do.’ Were the last words he said before the door closed. I sighed and wandered off towards my father.
I sat on my gravestone again, looking at my father’s name.

This one is longer. Couldn't find a cut-off point.
Sign up to rate and review this story