Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Holly Evans and the Spiral Path

Red Light, Green Light

by wordhammer 1 review

4th year starts with a few Slytherin encounters

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Humor - Characters: Draco,Snape - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2010-01-13 - Updated: 2010-01-13 - 9217 words - Complete

5Original
Disclaimer: Harry Potter and all related concepts are owned by someone who isn't me. I will never seek or accept money for the circulation of this work.

Holly Evans and the Spiral Path

Chapter 39
: Red Light, Green Light

*

1st September, 1994

Mum, I'd like to try writing this more like a writer would. Do you mind if I skip the QQQ 'Transcription' formatting?


Your option, Newt. As always, you're doing me the favour by recounting it at all.

The tale of the tail of the train

"Does it seem like there's a lot more room on the Express this year?"

Holly looks up at Hermione from where she is laying out across the opposite bench, reading from a small book suspended in air above her. The other residents of their cabin, Ginny and Neville, look up from their Gobstones game on the floor to pay attention to Holly's reply.

"What makes you say that?

"Well, even though the individual cars actually represent two or three cars' capacity due to the space adjustments, they still added a sixth car this year."

Holly flips a page of her text before replying.

"That seems to answer your question, Hermione, not support it."

"Well, the only reason for the planners to do such a thing as add an additional car would be to handle additional demands, as evidenced by the sheer volume of people we saw on the platform. Yet everyone has more elbow room this year compared to previous."

"Except that you and I had a solo cabin on the way home last year."

Neville clears his throat somewhat reluctantly before trying to explain. "Uhh, well no one wanted to uhh, be seen with... you. Holly."

Holly smirks as she moves to sit up on the bench. Her book stops floating as Holly closes it and slips it into a pocket of her robes.

"Neville! So even you were put off by my aura of criminality?"

"M-my gran had arranged special for me to travel with Susan Bones and her friends. This time I told her I was making my own, uhh, choice."

"Well, I feel honoured! Hermione has a point though. I think I'll take a walk."

"I, also. I'll investigate forward. Perhaps the Prefects have an answer."

"Yah, better you talk with them than me."

Hermione rises after Holly, both girls stepping carefully over Neville and Ginny's game on the floor of the cabin. Neville looks up to the girls as they open the sliding door.

"Do you, uhh, want me to come along, Holly?"

"Neville, stay here for now. Keep Ginny safe."

"Hey! I'm not some fragile flower you know?"

"Fine. You two stay here and keep our snacks safe!"

Holly ignores the redheaded girl's protests as she lets the cabin door slide shut behind her and Hermione. They exchange a quick look and split to head off in opposite directions.

Holly walks off down the train to find that the last car is 'reserved' by Goyle standing in front of the door from the previous car's exit. The rooms nearby are occupied by some younger Hufflepuffs, the next by Susan Bones and her friends.

"What's doing, Vince?"

"I'm Greg. Just standing here. Where you don' wanna be. Now piss off."

Holly steps forward slightly, looking up into the massive Slytherin's scowl. Her voice takes on an exaggerated sexy tone.

"Boy, Greg. You've gotten... big!"

As Goyle looks down towards Holly's prominent cleavage (now visible due to her v-neck jumper suddenly developing a self-plunging neckline), she catches his eyes long enough to engage in a sift of his mind.

Moving past Goyle's quickly-creepifying thoughts, Holly finds a recent memory of him standing out on Platform 9 & 3/4, yelling out 'Firs' years! Firs' years, over here!' in much the same manner as Hagrid does in Hogsmeade station. As singles or pairs of lost-looking House-less firsties approach the large youth, they are led away by either Draco Malfoy or Vince Crabbe to follow them down the platform into the last carriage car. Occasionally when an older student begins to idly hear Goyle's chant, Malfoy whips out his wand and applies a spell to Goyle that Holly recognises as a variant of the Muggle-repelling Charm, but based upon age. No one twelve or older can hear Goyle's bellows.

Holly's seduction-investigation is cut short when she hears Draco's derisive tone pipe up from behind her. A quick glance at the reflection in a window alerts Holly that Draco is pointing his wand at her neck.

"Evans. Nice hair. Flaming lesbian degenerate. Go back to your mudblood whore of a friend and we won't have to have a problem."

Holly steps back so that the wand is pushed into the skin of her neck slightly. She raises her empty hands to display a lack of armament.

"Draco. I thought we were beginning to get along after Lammas and all the... dancing."

Holly squeezes her eyes shut, concentrating some magic through her body. Draco suddenly yelps as an electrical zap shoots down his wand to shock his hand painfully. Holly twists quickly out of the path of his aim and strikes him down with a punch to the jaw. Goyle is suddenly also sent to the floor as Holly snaps a back-kick directly into the lumbering oaf's family jewels. Both boys roll moaning on the floor for a moment as Holly pulls out her new wand.

"I'd have pistoned you in the crotch too, Draco, but I wasn't sure if I could find your package there, you withered waste of a fertility potion."

Both Draco and Goyle are knocked out by a powerful stunner from the Lignum-Vitae wand that causes their bodies to bounce off the floor as the spell strikes. Holly moves through the rear door and applies the window-wall spell to the next door leading from the inter-car space into the last carriage. Holly then opens the door in a crouch and knocks Crabbe from his perch on another student's trunk into the far end of the hallway with another Stupefy. Holly uses the transparent wall charm again to look into the first two double-cabins, both of which have had their hall-windows replaced with wood paneling. The first space is filled with numerous trunks; they are banged up, partially-emptied and sorted through, with numerous small treasures, treats and curious books set aside for later division of spoils. The next room is packed full of young students. As the rest of the car is set aside for Hogwarts-ordered crates of perishables, Holly cancels her spell and returns to the forward carriage, with Crabbe levitated behind her.

"I need assistants. Dobby!"

Winky appears in front of Holly with a POP and a 'Squeak!'

"Winky?"

"Y-yes, Mistress. Dobby is a bad elf and isn't allowed at Hoggy Hogwarts or on the Hoggy Hogwarts loco... loco..."

"Locomotive. Alright, I'll need your help then. Go to Hermione, tell her and the rest of our cabin that I have a situation in the last carriage and that they need to grab a trustworthy Prefect or four and head back here."

"Yes, Mistress."

POP

Holly stores her captives and then pokes her head in on the three young Puffs and tells them they need to move up to a different car or the front half of this one. The next room is cleared similarly, but Susan, Hannah Abbott, Ernie MacMillan and Terry Boot begin arguing with her when she tries using the same commanding tone on them. Holly steps back into the hallway in frustration just as Hermione arrives via Winky-pop.

"What's the problem, Holly?"

"I need to clear this carriage and they won't budge."

Hermione moves past Holly into the cabin entry, giving the residents a friendly smile.

"Susan, would you and your friends please move forward to our room in trade? Really, I know it's an inconvenience but we just bought a whole stash of goodies that you can keep and it's really important."

Susan gives Hermione an irritated scoff after glaring at Holly through the cabin door's window.

"Just 'cause Evans says so?"

"Because I say so. I'll explain later, I promise."

Hermione enters into a longer negotiation within the room as Holly steps back into the hallway, letting the cabin door slide shut. A few minutes later Holly is subjected to much grumping and harsh staring as they abandon the cabin. Hermione turns to face Holly in the hallway once they are alone.

"Alright. I put my reputation on the line. Why?"

Holly gestures towards the last car. Once both girls are standing in the trunk-cluttered foyer of the last carriage, Holly uses the window-wall charm again on the second cabin to show Hermione the situation- within are thirty or so miserable firsties crammed into every available space including the luggage racks which are bending precariously with the excess weight. The windows are thankfully wide open to allow for breathing.

"Y'know, I had a theory until I noticed that they weren't predominantly from Asia or the West Indies."

"Holly! Why didn't you let them out?"

"All their stuffs been trashed. These aren't trusting types- we need to sort through them and their luggage calmly, carefully and most importantly without turning our backs on them."

"You don't trust them?"

"Minerva spent the whole summer tracking down magical children who were denied access to a Hogwarts education because of their lack of funding or talent- these are not kids who have been treated well, on the average."

"And why couldn't you explain this to Susan?"

"You don't think this lot is already going to feel humiliated? Look, I'm going to track down the rest of our friends and start shuffling their luggage into the other carriage. Can you, uhh... relate to them meanwhile?"

"Seems like you have our jobs backwards."

"I... yeah, I suppose."

Holly gathers herself together with a deep breath. Neville and Ginny enter the car just as Hermione starts moving the luggage out of the forward room. Ginny shakes her head in confusion. "What...?"

Holly turns to give a quick summation, relieved to have another pause before entering to talk to the firsties. "Draco and his goons gulag'd the orphan firsties and messed up their stuff. We're moving the luggage to the next car for collation as quickly as we can."

"Oh. Well the prefects wouldn't come without a reason and we couldn't give them one. What happened to the Slytherins?"

"They're hanging out back."

Ginny smiles and backs out to the inter-car space. She climbs the ladder until she can see the soles of six bare feet strapped with rope hanging from the back of the last carriage car. Upon her return Ginny finds the other three Gryffindors quickly shifting the rest of the trunks into the two emptied cabins of the next forward car.

"Oi, Holly. Where's their shoes?"

"Yorkshire, I reckon."

Holly and Ginny share a grin, then Holly sets herself to ready and slides open the door to the firsties' oubliette. Her appearance is acknowledged by a mass intake of breath.

"Hello."

(Silence.)

"We're going to change your arrangements now. The boys you met before are being punished for lying to you. I'd like for you to start exiting this room calmly, and then we'll get you some comfortable seating and have snacks and drinks brought by. My friends and I aren't going to go chatting about this to anyone. I'm all for a good prank now and again but this was just cruel, and I'm not going to add to your troubles by humiliating you in telling the teachers about this. If you decide to come forward later... well I'd be surprised, but go ahead. You can't do anything wrong to my reputation. Alright, you lot in front come out first."

After much confusion and shuffling, the students are lead out and split between the open rooms and corridor. Hermione starts to shake her head.

"We need more space. Alright! Everyone, don't move for a minute!"

The kids all freeze in place, a few giggling at the impromptu game of 'Dragons Gaze' (which the muggles call 'Red light, Green light'). Hermione flourishes her wand several times and the walls and seating in the last car are Vanished away. With another wave the cargo in the last half of the car is pushed into a solid wall of crates. A third series of wand dances puts back and expands the seating to surround the edges of the space, with a parallel set of benches down the center. After a moment, the kids start clapping for Hermione's handiwork, causing her to blush deeply.

"Oh! Well, thank you!"

Everyone starts finding seats and between Hermione's arrangements and a similar change in the rear half of the next car so that Ginny and Neville can sort through the mixed wreckage, everyone finally has room to be themselves.

Holly moves to the center of attention in front of the forward door of the last carriage. Hermione stands up next to her after calming a small girl who had remained a bit panicked. Once the room calms and Holly sees enough eyes focusing her way, she gives a slight smile.

"Alright! Well, thanks for making that easy for us. We'll get you some drinks and snacks soon so just sit tight. Remember- stick together, because divided you're easy pickings."

As Holly exits the cabin looking to bribe the Trolley lady for her complete stock, Hermione steps forward.

"Let me just say, the magical world isn't only mean-spirited bullies. There are some decent people here as well. I would recommend that you make some friends in the few hours we have left until our arrival. Friends are the ones that will stand up for you. It isn't easy to stand up for yourself, but sometimes it's easier to stand up for someone else. A few people stand up for each other and you've got a foundation, a safety net. Every time you stand up for another, you're doing a good deed that repays in how they take care of you. But every time you betray a friend, you cut down the likelihood that others will trust you and cover for you. There is strength in numbers. Like my friends and I; we take care of each other."

The audience seems to sit quiet, thinking on Hermione's words. A taller girl pipes up from the side.

"Are you a Prefect?"

"No, we're just students who despise cruelty."

"But what if we want to come to you for help?"

Hermione turns to address the questioning young boy.

"If you can find us, you can ask. We'll help if we can. I am Hermione Granger. The two in the forward car sorting through your things to get them back to you properly are Ginny Weasley and Neville Longbottom. My friend who just left is Holly Evans."

The entire carriage gasps and recoils. Hermione's eyebrows knot in concern

"I take it you've heard of her."

"She's a criminal!"

"And a pervert!"

"Well, uhh... that doesn't mean her advice isn't valid! Also, she's getting you something to eat, so be nice."

Hermione grimaces slightly and then turns and exits the carriage, finding Holly pushing the food trolley towards her from the other end of the next carriage as she enters. Holly calls out from behind various boxes of treats and sweets.

"Everything sorted, Hermione?"

"Other than you. I don't think I'm helping your reputation any. They all think you're a criminal and a pervert."

"The truth can be so cruel..."

"But, you're not, really!"

Holly stops the trolley at the door and pours herself a pumpkin juice. Hermione casually reaches for it and Holly hands it off, pouring another cup for herself.

"Did you tell them that?"

"Well, no..."

"You're right. You're not helping my reputation any."

"I also promised the Puffs earlier that you'd stay here so that they could use our carriage... in peace. I'm going back up there to explain a little, but no more than is necessary. If you need me later..."

"Not coming back? Are you trying to distance yourself?"

"No, just negotiating. Don't take it personally!"

Holly tosses her empty cup into a small wooden dustbin marked 'Elf-in-a-Box' and scoffs at Hermione.

"Oh, no, it's entirely a professional thing- my job as a criminal will be so much harder if people find out I can be pleasant when treated politely. Thanks for covering for me there, Hermione!"

"Is there some other way I should have handled this?"

"With Bones? I have no idea! She sees me only as a paroled murderess so really there's nothing to be done about it, is there? As for the firsties... no. It's... fine. I'll keep the little ones company with tales of horror and woe while you sit with the respectable types. At least I won't be lying to them..."

"Wait! Wait! This is... alright. I'll go back in there with the food. I'll explain things to Susan and her friends later. I'm sorry Holly. You, Ginny and Neville should just finish the sorting of trunks. Where are they, anyway?"

"Loo."

"Together?"

"I told Ginny not to leave him undefended. You want me to send one of them along?"

Hermione gives Holly a suspicious stare while beginning to smirk.

"Hmmm. Which one is less likely to be molested by your 'criminal perversion' if left with you for the rest of the voyage?"

"That would be Ginny. She's already declared herself as an arms-length friend."

"Send Neville, then."

"Spoilsport."

"I'm just trying to keep you focused on what's important."

Holly cocks an eyebrow at Hermione.

"One of us doesn't have her priorities straight. Debate to resume later."

Hermione smirks again at Holly's grin and then begins wheeling the trolley towards the rear door of the carriage which opens auto-magically as the rolling cart reaches the doorframe. A few minutes after Hermione's departure, Ginny and Neville return followed by Cedric and several other prefects.

"Oh good. I was hoping to get back to my reading."

Or so the story goes.

Well, I think that was fine.

You'll be happy to note that I quietly freed Draco, Vince and Greg upon arrival. Not that they appreciated it much, but the lack of any additional public humiliation has, I think, dampened their desire for an immediate reprisal. That and their wands are still in my travel case. Don't think of this as me being vindictive- the Prefects all agreed that the punishment was fair; at least once Cedric started laughing about it.

Holly


*


Minerva,

This is the explanation as promised. I shared my memory of it with Newt so she could fill in the details and I'm sending a copy to Padfoot and Moony for their enjoyment and edification.

Newt, use the formal formatting, so we can see the difference.

By your command.

Transcription: 1st September, 1994 starting 7:08 PM GMT


All the students have been seated in the Great Hall, aside from a mass of young first-years standing before the staff table. At the center of the raised platform is a stout wooden stool upon which is propped the Sorting Hat, Adrian. Having just finished his song, Adrian is joined by Professor Minerva McGonagall, holding a long scroll before her.

Minerva: "As I call your name, step forward and sit upon the stool where I shall place the Sorting Hat on your head, that you may be sorted. Ahrens, Abi..."

Adrian: "Fourth Year, EVANS, HOLLY!"

Minerva lets the scroll roll to closed and lifts up the Sorting Hat, turning him to face her.

Minerva: "I beg yuir pardon?"

Adrian: "I apologise, Professor McGonagall. Upper class sorting comes first, for transfers and re-admits. Holly Evans! Step forward and be Sorted!"

Holly blinks rapidly and then rises from her seat next to Hermione at the Gryffindor table. As she walks up to the center stage, she pulls out her House tie from around her neck, handing it to Minerva as she steps onto the stage. Holly then removes her witch's hat to reveal her flame-like tresses and turns to sit on the stool. While the Great Hall erupts in whispers and titters from those who hadn't yet seen her fiery hairstyle, Holly takes a moment to rearrange her wool skirt over her crossed legs and then tips her head back slightly, prompting Minerva to place Adrian on her head.

Adrian: [thought] 'Welcome once more to my...'

Holly: [thought] 'What are you up to, Hat? Are you doing this for Albus' sake?'

Adrian: [thought] 'You should know better than that, Miss Evans. I rarely respond to coercion and usually with a rousing laugh. I am asking you to be re-Sorted, as I am in a bit of a pickle.'

Holly: [thought] 'You've got like seventy-two new firsties to sort. I'd think that's fairly straightforward.'

Adrian: [thought] 'Ninety-one actually, and it isn't the quantity of recruits concerning me but the qualities they are displaying. Many of our new students are coming from orphanages and poor families that now have an opportunity that was denied them until you donated the Basilisk's components to the Education Fund. Now I have Slytherins to place. Survivors, you understand? How do you suppose they shall fare, in the withering House of inbred purebloods? As it stands, I can see only three or four that would survive the House without you, instead of the fourteen or more that I wish to sort properly.'

Holly: [thought] 'So, you're thinking I'm to be a Slytherin?'

Adrian: [thought] 'You always were, Holly. I just wanted you to apply yourself to nobler ideals.'

Holly: [thought] 'So it wasn't Fate that wanted my courage, but you?'

Adrian: [thought] 'Fate wants your courage as well. I just happen to agree.'

Holly: [thought] 'You know I'm already likely to be quite busy this year...'

Adrian: [thought] 'Yes, Albus' games will no doubt test your ingenuity, stealth and acting talent, but that's really Harry's challenge, isn't it?'

Holly: [thought] 'Doesn't mean I won't be suffering for it. Besides, isn't this a very Gryffindor thing for me to do?'

Adrian: [thought] 'Surely you aren't going to allow your choices to be guided by something as foolish as labels, Lady Black? It IS your choice. Though I'd like to add that if you decide to allow me this favour, I would be most grateful.'

Holly sighs, thinking for a moment, and then begins to smile in a sinister and indulgent fashion, her gaze now slowly crossing to the occupants of the Slytherin table.

Draco & Pansy: "Oh, no!"

Four Weasleys: "No. Way."

Hermione: (smiling) "Brilliant!"

Luna: "Are we having fireworks now?"

Adrian: "SLYTHERIN!"

Holly stands up and turns to hand the Hat to a stunned Minerva. She notes that professors across the staff table are indulging in polite clapping with three notable exceptions. Professor Snape's applause appears heartfelt despite his ever-present scowl, which prompts a portion of his House to follow suit; Professor Garvin is seething, having bent his silverware in his grip; and Hagrid rises slowly from the table and proceeds to faint with a considerable crash, taking out a standing iron torchiere filled with candles in the process. Also of note is the great number of Gryffindors clapping at the selection.

Holly: (whispering to Minerva) "I'll write later to explain."

After passing off the Hat, Holly descends from the stage and walks over to sit near the front end of the Slytherin table, where a space had been left for any firsties to fit. The closest Slytherin at the table turns out to be a giggling and clapping Astoria Greengrass.

Astoria: (whispering to Holly) "My sister hates you, you know? This is going to be just excellent!"

Holly: "Can I count on your support then?"

Astoria: "Oh, certainly not! She's a cruel bitch when she doesn't have a reason to hurt me. I will place some wagers, however."

Holly: "Twenty galleons says I'm expelled before Hallowe'en."

Astoria: "You'd bet against yourself?"

Holly: "I want to win; if I'm still here it's because I have conquered. If I'm out, at least I'm up some coin."

Astoria: "Now I'm thinking it's a sucker's bet, but I'll take you up on it."

Holly reaches over and shakes Astoria's hand once in agreement.

Adrian: "Third year, Fordham, Melody!"

Transcription ends.

Well, I can't decide. Serve your own preference, Newt.

For now I'll stick to the QQQ formatting for transcribing events as they happen.

Alright...


Mum, as you can imagine, Professor Snape had some strong opinions on the sudden change in his House, though that wasn't what was really getting his goat. You'll recall that he dragged me aside for a private meeting before pudding.

Transcription: 1st September, 1994 starting 7:41 PM GMT

Holly and Professor Snape enter a comfortable meeting room through a door near the Staff table in the Great Hall. As Holly turns to regard her new Head of House, Snape points forcefully towards the hearth where several wingback chairs are positioned.

Snape: "SIT down, Evans."

Holly moves carefully across the room and sits in the nearest chair, adjusting her robes briefly for comfort. Snape struts to standing in front of her, sneering down his nose with his arms crossed in front of him. He regards Holly for a moment before quietly spitting out his next command.

Snape: "You will tell me what exactly that infernal Hat said to you to induce this travesty."

Holly: "Sir, you seem tense..."

Snape: "DO NOT SPEAK to me as if we are equals. What did the Hat say?"

Holly: "Adrian asked me to be re-Sorted so that he could allocate a fair amount of non-pureblood firsties into the appropriate House for them, as I would take responsibility for their safety."

Snape: "Ridiculous! I am the authority within Slytherin and no student under my..."

Holly: "Pansy's healing well then? She still seems to flinch near the older boys."

Snape fumes for a moment from the interruption, but then turns away to look into the hearth fire for a moment.

Holly: "Sir, I had no plans for this. I'm already a little concerned..."

Snape: "SILENCE! It's enough of a trauma to think that I would have to deal with you as a student this year. This is intolerable!"

Holly: "What's your problem?"

Snape: "You are... POTTER! For a moment, I had actually enjoyed the notion that your slut of a mother had whored herself out to Black as well, perhaps even indulging little Peter in a fornication to make him the closest semblance of a man he would ever muster and completing the set of Marauders for whom she would spread her thighs; then you would have been nothing more than a mistake, another bastard born of an indiscretion with that cheap trollop. Knowing your parents birthed you and then experimented on you, turning you into this freakish thing... well, I can barely stand to be in the same room with you."

Holly sits, unimpressed by the Professor's tirade.

Holly: "You done?"

Snape squints, and then raises his head back in a sneer. Holly's expression turns angry as well.

Holly: "Your hatred for me is only a reflection of your own self-loathing for having not been able to hold the attention of the one person in all creation who valued you positively for what you were and could've become. This hatred has shriveled your soul like an ashwinder sucking the moisture from a plum, and now that hate chews on the desiccated prune that's left. Its fibres keep the shite-smelling invective flowing out of your mouth, so obviously you've fed your hate well. It's a very strong and healthy hate. The only problem is that I'm not your target. I have done nothing to you but treat you almost as kindly as my mother had, seeing your value through your many faults. It's safer, easier, less risky to hate me. But I'm here to get something accomplished and your hate is in my way. Your options are to redirect it, get lobotomised or retire from teaching. I still have every reason and more than enough capability to end you, Mr. Prince."

Snape: "What did you call me?"

Holly: "I've been giving people new names of late. I cannot fathom why you would take your father's muggle name as a nom de guerre when your mother's provided so much more style and pureblood cachet. You even called yourself the Half-blood Prince, yet today and for the last fifteen years it's Snape. It's as if you gave up trying to define yourself and acquiesced to carrying on your father's legacy of lusting above his station and using hatred and violence to express himself."

Snape: "HOW DARE YOU..."

Holly: "YOU STARTED IT you schoolyard bully! I told you to grow up during our last private meeting and all I get from you is 'your mother was a whore'? It's not even original- Draco hit me with that one before second year! What do you want? Pain? Enter my mind, I'll show you pain!"

Snape: "I've been in your mind, there's nothing to impress me there!"

Holly: "Really? Before my adventure in the Chamber of Secrets you were treating me with cold sympathy, so I know I had passed muster back then! Since beginning of last year all you've seen is the showroom. All the good stuff's stored in back!"

Snape turns his sneer onto Holly once more.

Holly: "Welcome to my parlour..."

Snape and Holly stare at each other in a deadlock of mental engagement. Minutes pass, with Holly's face forming a grimace and Snape's sneer fading into a worried look of astonishment. Finally they both turn away with a gasp, Holly immediately standing and turning away while Snape spins away to empty his stomach onto the floor. Holly pulls out her new wand and snaps off a spell as Snape begins to rise from the floor.

Holly: "Obliviate."

Snape swishes his wand across his face, barely deflecting the spell which instead shatters a stone vase next to the hearth. Snape quickly twists off a different brownish spell at Holly's feet. Holly is struck before she can jump away and finds herself literally rooted to the spot as the floorboards rapidly extend strangling vines that bind Holly and hold her upright.

Snape carefully rises to full standing, and then tosses his wand to the floor in front of the fireplace. Holly stops struggling in the vines to stare venomously at the bat-like man. Snape’s voice is quiet, icy and controlled.

Snape: "You have every right to want that blocked from my memory but I think I will be able to help you better, the better informed that I am."

Holly mumbles something and then bites through the vines covering her now lipless and razor-toothed mouth. Spitting out the torn plant tendril, Holly's face reverts to normal and she gives Snape an appraising look.

Holly: "I won't insult you by asking where your loyalties lie, but I would like to know what you intend to tell your masters."

Snape: "The Dark Lord has not yet risen, and should he succeed in that I will do nothing to share information with him about you, except what may be reasonably deduced. The Headmaster will not be privy to this meeting's details nor what I have learned from them, ever."

Holly: "Why?"

Snape stands back a moment, his brow creased in an almost painful expression of thoughtfulness.

Snape: "If your mother and I had produced a child, you are what I would wish to have raised. Capable. Insightful. Competent. I think your greatest challenge now is to create the... Potter version of you to please the masses. He should be humble, earnest and uncomplicated. Every act of his should be unsurprisingly simple-minded and honest, with barely a hint of self-direction. Pure and virginal. Your opposite."

Holly twitches her arm and the vines rapidly rot away. Once free, Holly reaches towards her wand on the floor. The dense instrument jumps into her hand and Holly sheathes it back along her forearm.

Holly: "Well, I'm glad we're finally on the same page."

Transcription ends.

Since you're already up to speed on the cancelling of Quidditch in deference to the upcoming Tri-Wizard Tournament as the Headmaster announced, we'll just move along to this evening's last bit of fun- Holly meets the Snakes.


As with most Houses, the first night includes a brief announcement of expectations to the newly-arrived students. Professor Snape's was derailed slightly, as you might expect.

Transcription: 1st September, 1994 starting 9:09 PM GMT

Slytherin House members are assembled in every available space in their common room, focused on the speech of Professor Snape, their Head of House. Holly is sitting against the wall in front of the hidden entrance to the Punishment Room. No other student rests within two yards of her, by their choice.

Snape: "...any rule breaking will be punished, as decided by our Prefects. Unity within the House requires acceptance of the consequences for your actions."

Holly: "Sir, may I speak?"

Snape: "Stand when you formally speak to a Professor, Evans. You know this."

Holly stands up and steps forward, looking at Snape first but locking eyes with other students as she speaks.

Holly: "Since the adjudication of punishments by the current Slytherin prefecture has exceeded the limits of the House charter... and human decency, I don't think that their independent judgment should be allowed until the Prefects re-prove their worthiness to lead. I wasn't in Slytherin when I was punished. The practice stops now."

Snape: "Evans! Sit down before I..."

Holly's gaze snaps to the Professor.

Holly: "Flogged, sir."

Snape: "You will..."

Holly: "...across my breasts. Sir."

Snape: "I... apologise for interrupting. Please continue."

Holly: "The only way to ensure fairness is for the use of authority to be documented and reviewed. Infractions should be written down and submitted to the Professor. Time, action, involved parties, explanation of concern and recommendation for punishment must be included. The Professor will approve, reject or investigate further. To cover the humiliation aspect, I suggest that the judgments that are approved be tacked for public view in this room, on a 'Settlements' bulletin board. Our secrets stay our secrets, but I want to know if I can trust to be alone with a Housemate."

Whispering between the students begins to rise as the membership considers Holly's suggestion. Tracey Davis stands up after listening to several opinions that seem to irritate her.

Tracey: "I think this is an excellent idea. The records can become a set of precedents, and our Prefects will have the venue to show and prove their good judgment."

Miles Bletchley steps forward after clearing his throat to silence a resurgence of whispers.

Miles: "False submissions should carry a penalty. We cannot allow the Professor to be inundated to the point where practical enforcement is hampered."

Holly nods in agreement.

Holly: "Recommended punishments will be visited upon the submitter for a false submission. Submissions must be hand-delivered. A judgment against punishment due to arbitration is not a false submission."

Pansy: "This seems familiar. Where are you getting this, Evans?"

Holly: "House Slytherin bylaws, 1919 edition. You can have it back now. In fact, I'll put back almost all the books I took from the Slytherin library. Does anyone still doubt that I belong in this House?"

Draco: "I don't."

Snape: "Well. This has been unexpectedly... productive. Welcome to Slytherin. Class schedules will appear in your rooms by morning. A moment, Miss Evans."

Holly steps over to the Professor's side as the room quickly empties of other occupants.

Holly: "Muffliato. What?"

Snape: "When did you... plunder... our library?"

Holly: "Adrian said Professor Flitwick won the wager, sir."

Snape: "Ah. During your punishment then. We'll see if I can make up what you've cost me in the no doubt extensive pool options that will be offered during our next staff meeting. Sleep well."

Holly: "No chance of that, sir."

Snape: "Excellent."

Transcription ends.

Slytherin dorms are split into double-occupancy rooms, but as the fifth girl in our year I've got this room to myself. Winky brought me some Pepper-Up, so I'll be working on wards the rest of the night. Turns out you can have a House-elf at Hogwarts, if you're a Slytherin and they don't stay overnight. Something about 'allowing families to maintain channels of communication.' Winky doesn't like Dobby at all, so she stays in the room and only pops back to the Madhouse each night to sleep and perform a cursory clean-up of Natalia's pizza boxes.

Unfortunately, that's about the last thing I can tell you about what happens in the Slytherin dorms. Part of the first night induction includes a Vow everyone takes to keep our secrets within our membership. It's a nifty way to ensure early House unity. You wouldn't believe how many books they have about Vows, Oaths and magical contracts in their library (now that I've had Winky put them back).

Love,
Holly

*

14th September, 1994

Grandmum Minerva,

Holly has been trying to relate some of the events that have happened in the Slytherin dorms but can't break the secrecy vow. I've decided to at least tell you about a few that might explain some unusual behavior. Also, Mum's very tired from setting up defenses and the like.

The tale of blonde ambition. 2nd September.


Holly slumps into the Great Hall looking for a spot of breakfast when she spies Draco Malfoy and his merry band all sitting at the table, staring at her entry. Holly continues to move towards the group as Draco initiates the taunting phase of his planned comeuppance for Holly.

"Well, well, well. Our boldest firstie finally rises. Maybe now you are beginning to regret interfering with me on the train, Evans!"

Holly stops her shuffle, blinks several times and then lets out a sigh.

"I see you came to breakfast early to establish an alibi. Draco, would you and your friends please return to the Slytherin common room. There's something I need to say to the entire House."

Holly then turns around and begins to walk back out of the Great Hall. Draco and his companions look quizzically at each other. They sit discussing the possibilities for a piece until Daphne stands up from the table.

"It must be an apology, Draco. Let us allow little Miss Evans a chance to earn herself a position within the House by her abject humiliation. Perhaps as a doormat!"

The gathering alights from the table and walks happily back to the Slytherin dorms. Upon entering, they spread out in disbelief. Hanging from the rafters are five boys from the sixth and seventh years. They have been each bound by layers of ropes and hang in a line that allows them to rub against their neighbors just slightly, yet none of them are moving or struggling in the least. Holly steps up from behind the display, grabbing one boy by the robes and pulling him back up towards the library ladder to account for the arc of the ropes from which he is suspended.

"Today's lesson is in physics. What you see before you is known in some circles as Newton's cradle."

Holly lets go of the student, who then swings back towards his fellows. Upon striking the next boy in line his motion is ceased, but the boy at the opposite end of the line bounces away and up in a similar arc towards the framed picture of Salazar Slytherin mounted above the hearth. As this other boy's inertia is reversed by gravity, he swings back into the line, once more projecting the first boy in an arc towards Holly. He then reverses course and the pattern repeats.

(Knock)... (Knock)

"Basically, this is about force, momentum and conservation of energy."

(Knock)... (Knock)

"The short version, for your political education, is this..."

(Knock)... (Knock)

"...these fools tried to take me down, so I strung them up."

(Knock)... (Knock)

Holly then snaps out her Lignum Vitae wand and incants 'Finite Incantata', causing all five boys to collapse to the floor, groaning and sore but no longer petrified.

"You have until Hallowe'en to try and beat me. If we haven't settled this by then, I will give up all pretense and start using lethal countermeasures. Or you could think, and learn. Draco, a word?"

Draco's companions suddenly fade back into the hallway or over to their dorms as Holly approaches. Draco's own expression of surprise hasn't changed since he entered the common room.

"Draco? Yoo hoo! Over here, blondie."

With a few snaps in front of his face, Draco reverts to a scowl and turns to speak with Holly.

"If you think this has anything..."

"Shut up and listen. Your political capital is draining quickly. If you want to impress everyone, here and in the other Houses, you'll go to Dumbledore and arrange for Quidditch to be restored."

"What in Merlin's name are you talking about?"

"Draco, I don't want to fight you. Not because I'm afraid of you but simply because I have better things to do with my time. I'm offering you a quick win. It means nothing to me as I'm banned from Quidditch anyway, but if you move to restore the competitive season in a way that works around the Tournament, even invite the guest schools to participate, you'll earn such accolades as you've always felt you deserved but never got."

"I... don't... Why are you trying to help me?"

Holly rolls her eyes before responding.

"Because. We danced. If you and I are enemies, I gained nothing from Lammas, aside from a dress I'll likely never wear again. If you continue to fight me, I'll be forced to kill you and there goes my education. Go do some good, earn some positive press. If you act like a gentleman as the term goes on or heaven-forbid an actual Slytherin, I'll help you beat the Gryffindors on the pitch. The team's mostly intact with only a keeper to replace, so their tactics aren't likely to change. Think about it, alright? See you in class."

Holly turns and exits the common room, hoping to grab some breakfast in the last ten minutes before History of Magic with the Ravenclaws.

...which is why the Malfoys have arranged for the additional arena space to be built just to the northeast of the castle, leaving the Quidditch pitch undisturbed. As I understand it they have arranged to allow sponsor adverts along the walls of the arena to help defray their own costs, though with the castle elves handling the construction I imagine that is only for wood and paint.


The tale of the disgruntled professor. 8th September


Severus Snape enters the office of the Headmaster, finding within the proper occupant behind his desk. Also in attendance is the quite rotund Associate Professor Garvin, whose skin tone is beginning to resemble an overripe tangerine with white splotches contrasting the deep orange hue of his apoplexy, and Holly Evans, who is sitting calmly in the carved wooden chair, her expression mostly conveying a sense of fatigue.

"You sent for me, Headmaster?"

"Yes, Severus. It seems one of the students of your House is upsetting Associate Professor Garvin, here. He has asked for your involvement in disciplining the young woman."

Professor Snape takes on an ugly expression of distaste and turns to A.P. Garvin.

"And what is the nature of her latest transgression?"

"SHE... WON'T... SPEAK!"

Even Professor Snape is mildly surprised at the nature of the issue.

"Marcus, I assure you that in receiving none of Miss Evans' delightful repartee you should count yourself fortunate. Why does this concern you?"

"She is undermining my authority and disrupting my classroom! Her complete failure to acknowledge my orders is destroying my credibility!"

Snape turns to Holly.

"Is this true, Evans?"

"Yes, sir."

"By my magic, IT TALKS! Never in all my years...!"

In concern for A.P. Garvin's rising state of agitation, the Headmaster interrupts his impending rant.

"Marcus, perhaps you'd like to sit down and sample one of my lemon sherbets. I'm beginning to become concerned for your health..."

"Never you mind my health, Dumbledore! This child freely admits to defying my authority in my classroom! What are you going to do about it?!"

Professor Snape scowls at the other professor in irritation and once more directs his attention to Holly.

"Evans. Why have you been ignoring this professor?"

"Two reasons, sir. The first is that he continues to ask me questions as Miss Black, after having ranted for nearly a half-hour during our first lesson about how undeserving I was to hold any sort of title or claim to the House of Black. Basically, he shat upon the honour of my House and now addresses me as a member of it to further the insult."

Albus once more interrupts with a concern.

"I didn't know it meant that much to you, Holly."

"The class concerns status and society, Headmaster. Like operating in the Potions lab as if all substances are potentially toxic, I treat my presence in the class as a training ground for the execution of my societal responsibilities. I'm taking it seriously, because that's where it is treated seriously."

"What was the other reason for your protracted silence, Miss Evans?"

Holly sits back in her chair and smirks slightly before responding.

"The Professor suggested that muggles had contributed nothing to societal development in over two hundred years. I countered that the use of non-violent protest has had a dramatic effect on the British Empire in India as well as the equal-rights movements in America, but he didn't believe me. This is a demonstration, to prove its power."

A.P. Garvin's frustration reaches a breaking point as he attempts to denounce Holly's behavior. His health, however, takes the argument away from him.

"THAT... is NOT... THERE'S... (HIC)... (Hic)... Aggghhkk!"

At which point Marcus Garvin falls to the floor of the Headmaster's Office. Professors' Snape and Dumbledore immediately rush to his care as Holly looks on idly from her chair with mild concern.

"Y'know, if it's a heart attack, I have an idea on how to bring him back..."

All three conscious occupants of the office are then startled as Adrian the Sorting Hat begins laughing quite loudly.

Holly says Associate Professor Garvin should be ready to resume teaching next month. I haven't heard whether the school governors have decided to pay Adrian for acting as his substitute.



The tale of Marauder woes. 13th September


Holly sneaks into the tertiary Transfiguration lab. Closing the door, she looks around at the boxes of vinyl records and equipment gathering dust and shakes her head. Minutes later, Hermione enters the room behind her.

"Oh, Holly! Are you alright? You've been keeping your distance so insistently in the few classes where we still match schedules that I thought you were angry with me somehow."

As Holly turns to answer her friend she is enveloped by a strong and immersive hug, one that interrupts her original thought enough that she simply eases into the embrace, rocking with Hermione for a minute. Holly and Hermione both are startled to realise that Holly has started crying, and Hermione briefly becomes worried for the sake of her ribs when Holly doubles the strength of her embrace before releasing her bushy-haired friend.

"(Snif) I'm sorry, Hermione. I didn't mean to shut you out or just fall apart on you just now, but I've been living in a minefield for the past week, y'know?"

Holly rubs away her tears in annoyance as Hermione quickly gives her a second brief hug.

"It's alright. How are you? Has it been horrible? What have they done to you? Did Professor Snape say anything? Oh! You said he was being told about Harry over the summer! What... mmmmppph!"

Holly interrupts Hermione's inquisitive ramble with a forceful kiss to the lips. When she steps back with a smile, Holly notices that Hermione looks both guilty and suspicious. Holly's smile is undimmed.

"God, I've missed you! Same rules apply though. If you don't let me answer your questions before asking more, I'll take this to the next level, and in public besides. You won't be able to find a boy to date you until you graduate."

"You wanted me to do that! No wonder you've been keeping your distance."

"What? Me, create a situation where I can kiss you without protest? I'm a Slytherin for two weeks and already my every action is suspected of treacherous design. Did you like it?"

"No less than the last time, but no more. Also I'm feeling a little ill. I'm not sure if Professor Dumbledore was completely successful in his removing of the Compulsion."

"He wasn't. Florean sifted you while storytelling at the Cup and found out two things. You still have a cloud of interference, and you DON'T (poke) PROTECT (poke) your MIND."

Holly's poking of Hermione's shoulder leads to a brief poking contest that quickly degenerates into a tickle-fight on the floor that Holly loses to Hermione's longer reach and her own desire to be close with her friend. It is this scene that greets the Weasleys as they enter the room.

"HA HA HA HA S-stop! Stop! I yield! HA HAHAHAHA."

"No surrender for you! I will have you asphyxiating for your crimes, you dirty two-timing serpent!"

George decides to interrupt before Ron's excitement robs him of his last few brain cells.

"Ehhh, Hermione. Does this mean that you've chosen the other path again?"

Hermione sits up from torturing Holly on the floor with a guilty expression. She looks at George with complete fear etched in her face.

"Ummm... no? I... I was just..."

Ginny shoves Fred into George and the whole room relaxes into laughter. Holly is hoisted from the floor by the Twins as Ron, Ginny and Hermione find seats on the empty tables. Once upright, Holly looks around for a moment.

"Where's Neville?"

Ginny pipes in immediately. "He's cleaning cauldrons for Snape. The ruddy bastard accused him of cheating because his last potion came out correctly. Wait, don't you still see him in Potions? I thought your year matched the Gryffindors and Slytherins for Potions and Defense."

"It does, but it's been hard keeping track of everything going on around me, so I sometimes forget things that don't seem important. Neville being chastised by Snape isn't exactly ground-shaking news. I'd be more concerned if he stopped. Speaking of which, what the hell is wrong with you people?!"

Incredulous looks are traded between the other Marauders as Holly stands up in front of them.

"I've been a Slytherin for a fortnight and you haven't done a thing to me! Are you building up to something or did you just forget?"

Hermione tentatively answers for the assemblage.

"Well we talked about it that first night and we all agreed that you needed our help, but we didn't know if you had been able to make any allies or who they might be. We're all glad to see you're surviving, but we didn't want to add to your troubles."

"Oh. That makes sense. Stop that, alright? My Slytherin citizenship is at risk the longer you hold out on me. No one there believes that I'm not just a Gryffindor in Slytherin clothing, so you're actually keeping me isolated. I'd appreciate it if whatever you do is less than disruptive to my overall education, but please, feel free to humiliate me to your satisfaction."

Ron spoke up in confusion.

"But, we're Marauders now. Aren't we?"

"Sure, Ron. And part of our credo puts pranking each other as much of a high priority as pranking anyone else with more ego than is healthy. That brings up the other part. Why isn't the station running?"
Fred stepped in for this one.

"With the Dementors gone, the need disappeared."

"Yah, but the value didn't! I need you lot to embody your chaotic natures; you need to be villains of the establishment so I can build alliances. Bring back the station, rules or no. For one thing, Natalia has about six crates of vinyl coming to fill out the playlists. Also, we can still be Marauders together if we can work out ways to communicate through the wireless broadcasts. I need the station going and pretty soon we'll be able to sell another twenty to thirty receivers to my House-mates, so get to it!"

Everyone was enthused by the coming changes and they sat together, including Neville an hour later, discussing the coming year, teachers and a few of Holly's experiences in her new dorm, though they all came to understand the restrictions under which Holly now operated.

The next morning...

Holly enters the Great Hall (alone, as usual) with very little concern for defending herself. Two steps into the room she is enveloped from both sides by meter-wide cream pies that slap down from where they had been suspended and Disillusioned above the entry doors, one coloured red and the other gold. The sheer volume of cream smashing together with Holly sandwiched in the middle sends gouts of the mixed confection spraying across a third of the Great Hall, splashing many students to their dismay. Fred and George rise up cheering in tandem, clapping in celebration with Ron, Lee, and the girls of the Quidditch squad aside from Ginny joining in their glee. Hermione rises from the table, her hands covering her mouth in astonishment. Several seconds later, the crusts of the tandem pies fall to the floor revealing a thoroughly frosted Holly. She turns towards the cheering Gryffindors and speaks out in a loud voice.

"Gentlemen, I accept your challenge."

Holly then turns right around (spraying more of the cream around the floor and into the face of the absolutely livid caretaker Mr. Filch), and proceeds to strut back out of the Great Hall in search of a shower and change of clothes.

The cheering dies down rather quickly, and Hermione pulls on George's sleeve until he turns a worried face to focus on his almost-girlfriend.

"W-what, Hermione?"

"I don't think you and I have a future together George. Or at least, you may not have a future."

"W-what?"

Hermione then turns away to hide her grin, biting her lip to keep from laughing.

Don't worry. George and Hermione were never serious, but it did work out as a partnership in pranking Fred on several occasions in the last month.

~Newt~


*

Spiral Tangents alert!

Tangent 10: 'Taste Testing' should be along soon to describe some of the more fun trouble Holly experienced over the summertime. Almost entirely smut, though never just that, of course. I would have posted this sooner, but Newt has been holding back on her World Cup experiences, and there's just nothing you can do to that inkblot to make her talk until she's ready.

Tangent 11: 'Spider in the Snake Den' will cover more on Holly's experiences in the Slytherin dorms. It isn't particularly sexual, but should be funny. There just wasn't a simple way for Holly to tell Minerva about them because of the House vows.
(Silly Author I am to make rules that make it harder to tell the story, but would you really expect any different from Slytherin House, given what has already been established?)
Sign up to rate and review this story