Categories > Games > Devil May Cry > Undying Power

Chapter 6: Salvage

by dvlsnvrcry432 0 reviews

"Why did you save me?"

Category: Devil May Cry - Rating: R - Genres: Fantasy - Characters: Vergil - Published: 2010-01-22 - Updated: 2010-01-22 - 801 words

0Unrated
Danielle gasped as she saw a bright white flash before her. By reflex, her eyes closed and she felt a large gust of wind blow a few strands of her hair over her face. Nervous and afraid, she opened one eye and saw Vergil standing in front of her but not facing her. She opened her other eye and looked up at him. He seemed somewhat majestic in his blue coat with his sword in his hand, ready to strike should the need come. She looked in the direction he was facing and saw the creature stuck in a hole in the wall that his body had made. Blood leaked from the hole and trailed down the wall, creating a puddle at the base where the wall met the floor.

"Are you all right?" she heard Vergil ask her.

She looked up at him again, but he wasn't looking at her.

"Um...yes." She began to stand up only to be surprised when he grabbed her elbow to help her up. She looked up at him. "Why did you save me?"

Honestly, Vergil didn't have an answer to that. As he looked down at her delicate face and frame, he was somehow reminded of his mother. She was petite as well and seemed delicate, but everyone who knew her never saw her as weak or incapable of protecting herself.

And yet, demons had taken the kind and loving woman's life away.

Perhaps that was why he had saved her twice now. She reminded him of Eva and he knew that deep down she wasn't weak at all. But there was something else, wasn't there? Vergil shook his head before turning to her. "I have to go now." He began to walk away, but when he glanced back at her he couldn't help but feel guilty about leaving her like this. Exhaling, he looked at her and said, "Come with me."

Danielle didn't miss the hint of guilt in his voice as she followed him out of the resteraunt. They walked silently through the dark streets, the only time he said something was when he asked her where she lived. When they finally reached her apartment building, she looked up at it, unsure.

Vergil noticed a bit of fear in her eyes. "Is something wrong?"

"I don't want to be alone."

Taken aback by her response, he walked over to her and looked down into her hazel eyes. In them, he saw her unsurity and anxiety. Of course an innocent mortal like her would be afraid. She wasn't used to the way demons were. But then, he remembered the demon magic she had used on him.

"Are you a demon?"

"No."

"What about the magic?"

"Oh," Danielle said, looking down at her feet. She reminded Vergil of a small child who had just been caught sneaking sweets before eating her dinner. "Please don't tell anyone about that."

"I won't. But will you tell me why you have that ability?"

She looked up at him, her eyes narrowing in speculation. "Well, why were you able to brush away like nothing? No one can do that."

Damn, he thought. "I'm not just anyone," he spoke, saying the first thing that came to mind.

"You're not human, are you?"

Vergil turned away.

"I knew it!" she said in an "a-ha!" manner. "I've known it the second you saved me in the alley." She sobered. "Wait, if you're not human then...what are you?"

He said in a low voice, "I'm a demon."

Danielle stiffened then took a step back. "A demon? Really?"

"Half-demon."

"Half-demon?" Then a thought occurred to her. "No...i-it can't be. If you're half then you're...Sparda's son?"

"You know of Sparda?" It seemed so strange to him that a woman like her would know of the Legendary Demon Swordsman.

"Yes." She brushed a strand of her hair behind her ear, drawing Vergil's attention to her face. "I'm descended from a group of humans who fought alongside him. Sparda gave them a bit of his demonic magic so that they wouldn't be so overpowered by the demons. The powers were passed down through their children. I inherited them from my father."

"It would make sense that my father would do something as noble as that."

Suddenly, Danielle looked up at him and smiled. "It's kinda lucky of me to have met the Savior's son himself."

Vergil froze at the sight she made. Her arms were covered in her own blood, but she could still smile so warmly.

Who was this strange woman?

Unsure of what else to do, Vergil turned and began to walk away.

"Wait!"

Vergil stopped and looked at her over his shoulder.

"Will I see you again?"

"Perhaps," was all he said before he kept walking into the night.
Sign up to rate and review this story