Categories > Celebrities > Fall Out Boy > Her Best Therapy

Chapter Twelve

by highoxer15feet 0 reviews

What would you do in six months?

Category: Fall Out Boy - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama,Humor,Romance - Published: 2010-02-23 - Updated: 2010-02-24 - 1457 words

0Unrated
Carson chewed nervously on the inside of her lip, wringing her hands in her lap. She glanced out the window, not wanting to meet Brendon’s eyes. He looked at her worriedly, but didn’t say anything as she reached to turn up the music. She still didn’t say a word until they were at the counter, ordering their ice cream.

“I’ll just have plain vanilla,” She said softly to the person behind the corner.

“Damn,” Brendon snapped his fingers. “There goes my theory.”

“What theory?” Carson asked quizzically.

He smirked, “That you were pregnant.”

She laughed, “No. Not even possible.”

His eyes widened, looking at her disbelievingly, “Not with Pete?”

“Not with anyone,” Carson informed him simply.

“Seriously?” Brendon’s jaw dropped. “Like why? Was it on purpose?”

Carson shrugged, “Sometimes. With Kyle it just didn’t feel right, so I told him I was waiting for marriage, when really I’ve just told people that. And I just didn’t have time for boyfriends in high school or in college.”

“That is like the saddest think I’ve ever heard,” Brendon sighed dramatically.

She bit her lip hard, thinking desperately; I can’t do this. I can’t do it. I can’t. “Bren. I have cancer.”

“Very funny Car,” He still smiled easily. “Now tell me why you brought me here.” The smile slowly becomes forced as he stared at her serious face, “Car.” It was nothing more than a breath of air, and she didn’t say another word. The smile was gone now, replaced with a look of desperation. “How long?”

“I’ve known for about two months now,” She confessed. “The doctor doesn’t think I have more than four months.”

“How could you not tell me?” He choked out. “How could you leave me in the dark like this?”

“No one knew,” She stammered. “Only Gabby.”

Brendon just shook his head, standing up from the table they had been sitting at, “I just- can’t. I don’t know if I can get over this. I’ll- I guess I’ll see you around.”

Carson could only watch in horror as he walked away from her, leaving her at the small ice cream parlor. She pressed her hand tightly over her mouth, stifling the sobs that started shaking her to her core.
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Pete was not worried. Honestly. Just because he was in Carson’s apartment at eight at night and she wasn’t there did not worry him at all. He thought this repeatedly, snapping out of his own thoughts as he heard urgent knocks on the door.

He drags himself up off of the couch, opening the door moments later to an angry Ryan Ross. He barged into the apartment, pushing past Pete. Ryan turned, crossing his arms over his chest, “What did Carson do to Brendon?”

Pete mirrored Ryan’s stance, “I don’t know what you’re talking about. I just knew that Carson was meeting Brendon. I have no idea what they may have talked about.”

“You’re lying,” Ryan spat at him. “I know you know. Because if it’s something that can make Brendon come home crying hysterically, and not be able to speak a word, someone’s fiancée would know.”

“Ryan, Car has to tell you on her own,” Pete’s voice told him softly.

“No!” Ryan snapped. “I can’t help him if I don’t know what’s going on. I’ve never seen him like this. He’s seen me fall apart, but I’ve never seen his breaking point. He’s the strong one. I don’t know what to do.”

Pete looked away, knowing he’d regret what he was about to do. “Ry, Carson has cancer. It’s untreatable and they don’t think she’ll last more than four months at this point.”

Ryan’s eyes widened, staring at Pete in disbelief, “No. No. That can’t be true.”

“It is,” Pete whispered back, feeling the weight of the truth descend onto his shoulders.

“I’m so sorry.” Ryan spoke genuinely, “Let me know if there’s anything I can do to help.”

“Same to you, I know Brendon’s going to take a while to take this in,” Pete consoled him the best he could.

“How are you doing?” Ryan asked earnestly, looking into Pete’s eyes. “It’s okay to tell me. I won’t even tell Brendon, just. Seriously. Let me know what’s going on in your head."

Pete sighed, looking away from Ryan’s piercing gaze, “I’m terrified. I have never been so scared in my life. Honestly, this kind of stuff is only supposed to happen in movies. It’s not fair to fall in love with a girl who’s going to die.”

Ryan squeezed his arm, “Life’s not fair. We both know that by now.”

“Can’t it be on my side for once?” Pete whispered, his voice cracking as tears rushed to his eyes. Ryan reached out, hugging Pete tightly.

“I’m so sorry. I know I’ve said that but. I don’t know what else to say.” Ryan muttered, trying desperately to think of something more to say. Before he could think of anything to say, both of their heads turned as the front door was opened.

Pete wiped away the few tears that had fallen, and smiled weakly, “Thanks.” Carson walked in, exhaustion written across her face and both arms weighted down with groceries. “Car, we didn’t need anything,” He sighed, taking the bags from her.

“I’m just. I need to bake. I need to bake cookies and cake and cupcakes and brownies,” She explained, looking at him with tears ready to fall. “I bake. When I’m upset, I bake.” She looked over, and her shoulders fell, “Are you here to get mad at me too?”

Ryan shook his head, “No. Brendon wouldn’t tell me what happened…. Pete did, sorry. Don’t blame him. But I’m not going to condemn you for hiding it, and I’ll take care of Brendon. We’ll see you soon, I promise.” He hugged her briefly, waving at Pete before leaving.

Pete opened his arms, and Carson rushed to him, hiding her face against his shoulder, still trying not to cry. “It’s okay, it’s all going to be okay.”

“No it’s not,” Carson shook her head. “It’s never going to be okay. I’m dying. And I’m leaving you all here. I don’t want to leave you guys.”

“It’s not your fault, it wasn’t your choice,” Pete led her slowly to the couch, pulling her closer.

“I’m going to hurt you all,” She cried, slightly hysterical. “We should’ve never started anything.”

“If I recall correctly, I was the one who pursued you,” Pete smirked. “I knew I wasn’t getting myself into anything easy, but love is never easy.”

“It should be, I shouldn’t have to leave you,” Carson covered her mouth as she continued to cry.

“We are going to have a beautiful wedding, and we’re going to make the most out of the time we have,” Pete assured her. “The doctors could be wrong; you probably have more time than you think.” He couldn’t help but silently pray, beg, for just a little more time.
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
A/N- Oh man, it's been a long time since I've updated. If you notice a change in the writing style, it's because about three fourths of this was written over a year ago, and the rest was written in the past few days. I just found the file again on my computer and remembered how much I loved these characters, and decided to update. I can't promise updates on certain days, or even give a good timeline, but I'm going to try to slowly, begin writing again. Please, please, please review, let me know what you think, whether you're a new reader or someone who's been with me from the start (if there's any of you left).
Sign up to rate and review this story