Categories > Movies > High School Musical > Start of Something New

Chapter 6 - Two Conversations About One Thing - Part II

by starlightmint 2 reviews

The continuing romantic adventures of Zanessa.

Category: High School Musical - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama, Humor, Romance - Published: 2006-04-21 - Updated: 2006-04-21 - 842 words

0Unrated
Disclaimer: I don't own any of the HSM characters or anything. Also, though this story involves the names of real people, it is a complete work of fiction in terms of characterization and plot.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 6 - Two Conversations About One Thing

Part II

"Excuse me, sir! Coming through!"

Fumbling with a long, thin package balanced on one shoulder, the hotel employee almost hit Lucas as he charged through the lobby. Stumbling to his right, Lucas heard another voice yell at him to get out of the way. Two more hotel employees were hoisting a giant box between them, going in the same direction.

"Whoa," said a familiar voice. Lucas looked up to see Ashley coming down the stairs. "It is never this busy in here at six in the morning."

"Maybe it's a convention, or something." Lucas shrugged. They headed out to the front doors to catch the van to work, ducking and weaving through an onslaught of employees lugging a set of speakers and multiple floral arrangements.

It was the first opportunity he had had with Ashley alone in four days-the first chance he had to ask about Zac for Vanessa. He hadn't been able to track her down while the Wildcat actors shot the basketball sequences, and couldn't get her alone for a minute during the classroom scenes. Then yesterday, she had grabbed Zac and gone off into the downtown core before he could even think to chase after them.

But this morning they were going to the high school in Murray, outside of Salt Lake City, where the theatre set was located. They were shooting just Bop to the Top and What I've Been Looking For today. Meaning Lucas would be alone with Ashley for the entire day.

"So I haven't seen you around for a while," said Lucas, falling into step beside Ashley. "Busy?"

"Oh, just checking out the city, you know." She waved him off absently. "I wanted to do a little exploring, and Zac came with."

"Zac, huh?" He tried to sound nonchalant. "You guys are pretty good friends, right?"

"Yeah, I'd say so. As close of friends as you can get in the business, anyway."

The van was parked in front and Ashley jumped in first, spreading out in the spacious backseat. Lucas grumbled good-naturedly, taking the smaller seat in front of her. He said hi to their driver, who tipped a salute and pulled away from the curb. The tires rumbled below them as they rolled onto the street.

OK, James Bond. One more time.

"So how long have you and Zac known each other?" Lucas casually leaned back over the seat to face her.

Ashley thought. "I think it's been about... two years. We met at a party... or something. Wow, I can hardly remember. It just seems like Zac and I have been friends forever."

She rummaged through her purse for something. "Anyway, yeah, we hang out all the time. His friends hang out with my friends. I guess we all just sort of clicked."

"So... did you guys ever hook up?"

He kicked himself mentally. It sounded like a bad question the minute it left his mouth.

Ashley looked at him abruptly and stopped fumbling. "Lucas. What's with the interrogation? I'm not trying to pry into your life."

"Well, you know... I'm just curious," Lucas said, lamely. "You know. Get to know your co-stars and all that. I like to know the lay of the social territory before I make my faux pas."

Ashley rolled her eyes, as if to say, /Whatever/, and resumed rummaging. "Well, not really. He was always preoccupied with someone else." She located a lip balm and pulled it out, applying it. "It was Danielle Panabaker, actually. He took her to graduation, a double date with her sister Kay and Jesse McCartney. I guess they hit it off."

Suddenly Ashley trailed off and looked up at him, an odd look on her face. But before Lucas could register it, she was speaking again, her eyes soft.

"Look. You cannot tell anyone this, but they actually just broke up really recently. And I really don't think he's over her yet."

No way. Lucas was rapt. "He doesn't seem that broken up."

Ashley's face folded in concern. "You just can't tell because he's so laid back, so friendly. That's Zac." She shook her head sadly. "I think it's why he's been going after Vanessa overtime during this shoot. You know-the rebound thing."

Oh... no.

"But Nessa really likes him." Lucas felt sick.

Filled with anxiety, Ashley's eyes met his. "Oh, no. Seriously, Lucas?"

He nodded.

"That... is not good." She put her hand to her forehead and gave Lucas another anxious look. "I really, really think he's just looking for a distraction before he goes back to see whether he and Danielle still have anything going." She sighed, and put her hand to the window, looking out at the scenery whipping past them. "I just hope Vanessa doesn't get hurt."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note: What is up with that Ashley chick? Review!
Sign up to rate and review this story