Categories > Movies > High School Musical > Start of Something New

Chapter 7 - Gotta Have You

by starlightmint 0 reviews

Continuing adventures of Zanessa.

Category: High School Musical - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama, Humor, Romance - Published: 2006-04-21 - Updated: 2006-04-21 - 2051 words

0Unrated
Disclaimer: I don't own any of the HSM characters or anything. Also, though this story involves the names of real people, it is a complete work of fiction in terms of characterization and plot.

Author's note: What can I say? It's pure Zanessa. Hope you have as much fun reading it as I had writing it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 7 - Gotta Have You

Zac stood outside Vanessa's door, waiting uncertainly for her to answer his knock. Please be in. And... don't be with Lucas.

The door opened and Vanessa's face appeared in the crack. A smile curled at the corner of her mouth when she saw him. "Mr. Zac Efron. I haven't seen you around much lately. What's up?"

He felt a smile spread uncontrollably on his face. Efron. Don't get distracted.

"Nothing much." Zac put a hand against the wall next to the door. "I was... uh, just wondering about your plans for the evening."

"Just like you, nothing much," she said, cocking her head teasingly. She opened the door further, folding her arms and leaning against the doorframe. "Lucas is with Ashley doing their musical scenes today, and Corbin and Monique are out practicing with the choreographer... or something." She shrugged. "So I'm just watching TV, making it a low key night."

She's so close. And wow, she smells good. Ahh... stop it.

"Well." Zac grinned. "I hate to interrupt you, but I think I might have an adventure for just the two of us tonight, if you're willing. Do you have a dress?"

She gave him a puzzled look. "Do you need a dress?"

He laughed. "Not for me. For you. You know, something kind of fancy."

She eyed him, suspicious but friendly. "Yeah, I might have something like that."

"So you're in?" He raised his eyebrows and wore an anticipating smile, looking for her confirmation. She looked up at the ceiling, pretended to sigh exasperatedly, then nodded, smiling back. "OK. You put on your fancy dress and meet me in the lobby in five minutes."

"Make it 20 and you've got a deal."

I'd wait forever if you asked.

"OK, 20." He checked his watch-it was 6:30 already.

She nodded, then fixed him with a mock-warning look. "And this better not be some kind of trick."

"Never!" he said, putting his hands up in the air and laughing.

She narrowed her eyes playfully, smiling. The door clicked softly shut behind her.

Alone in the corridor, Zac jammed his hands in his pockets and did an impromptu spin on the spot. He headed to the elevator, a smile on his face. Here we go.

--------------------------------------------------------

Walking down the stairs to the lobby, Vanessa scanned the room for Zac's tall profile. Though people crowded the place, checking in, chatting, waiting for elevators near tall piles of luggage, she could see no one wearing the blue sweater and jeans Zac had on earlier.

Maybe this was just a big joke. Another of his wacky let's-just-be-friends bits. She checked her purse for her cell phone. I could text him... I hope he has his phone...

"Hey."

Suddenly there he was beside her. She turned and heard him catch his breath as he saw her, his eyes moving up and down the strapless dark-pink party dress she wore. "You look... great," he said, breaking into a smile.

"Thanks," she said. Her eyes widened as she realized he was wearing a dark-grey suit and a blue tie that matched his eyes. "No wonder I didn't recognize you." She eyed him appraisingly, smiling back. "You clean up pretty well yourself, Efron. Where'd you get the suit?"

Zac pulled the lapels of his suit coat forward in a mockingly suave manner. "I had it sent in from Italy while you were busy putting on your fancy dress." He laughed. "No, I brought it with me. My mom always told me to be prepared for any occasion, and I guess I took her seriously for once."

He bowed slightly and offered her his arm. "And taking out a pretty girl seemed like a good reason to get dressed up."

Wow... he seems different.

Smiling helplessly, she hooked her arm into his and they walked off toward the back of the building. "So where are you taking me for this little adventure?" she said.

But as they turned the corner, she knew in an instant. Through a set of double French doors, Vanessa caught her breath as she saw the hotel ballroom transformed into a fairy-tale wedding reception. Tiny lights sparkled all over the room, and red roses formed the centerpiece of each table. The guests seemed unbelievably happy, laughing and clinking glasses. It looked... magical.

In her ear, she heard Zac whisper. "I hope you brought your acting hat inside that purse. I think we're going to need it."

He grinned mischievously. And suddenly, she felt his hand slip into hers as he quietly opened the door, pulling her inside.

--------------------------------------------------------

"So how do you know Brian and Sarah?"

Across the table, the kindly elderly woman looked at them warmly. "Was it at the university?" she prompted.

Zac looked at Vanessa, who was lifting a forkful of cheesecake to her mouth. "Yes," he said. "I met Brian in... an astronomy class. And we used to play on an ultimate Frisbee team together."

Vanessa looked at him teasingly. Go on, her eyes said. She mimed putting a hat on her head.

He looked back at her. You're killing me, Nessa.

The woman looked confused for a minute. "I thought he graduated in psychology?"

"Uh..." said Zac. "Well, it was first-year, when we were taking a broader range of classes. You know, before you settle on your specialty." He coughed. Change the subject. "How do you know them?

"Ahh." The woman smiled. "We haven't been introduced yet. I'm Sarah's great aunt Cecilia. So I suppose I've known her since she was born." She chuckled. "And I knew from the very minute she brought Brian home that they would be married." She put her elbows on the table, lacing her fingers together. "And you two are...?

His mind went blank. Out of the corner of his eye, Zac could see Vanessa playing with her cheesecake, lifting another forkful up to her mouth. Her mouth. Under the table, he felt his foot being gently kicked.

Oh... I know.

He put out a hand across the table toward Cecilia. "I'm Troy Bolton. And this is Gabriella Montez."

Cecilia shook both their hands, smiling. "You two make a lovely couple."

"Oh..." He blushed. "We're..."

"...getting married next June," finished Vanessa, suddenly putting her hand over his on the table.

What?

He looked at Vanessa with wonder, and a warmth spread inside his chest as she met his eyes, daring him to contradict her.

She is... unbelievable.

He grasped her hand, pretending to be a loving fiancé, and smiled at Cecilia.

"Oh, congratulations!" Cecilia said, clapping her hands. Then suddenly, she leaned forward and whispered, beaming. "But you know something? It's just like Brian and Sarah. I could already tell."

He felt Vanessa squeeze his hand, and laughed. "I guess... it's just that obvious."

--------------------------------------------------------


"Don't break my heart... my achy breaky heart...."

Vanessa danced on the hardwood floor as the wedding band played. Beside her, her dance partner suddenly stomped his feet.

"I don't like this song. I give up." He sat down on the floor.

Talk about impatient, she laughed to herself. The five-year-old boy had dragged her away from Zac and out on the crowded dance floor just a few minutes earlier.

She crouched down and looked him in the eye. "Well Jimmy, dancing's all about having fun. You don't always have to like the songs, but you dance because you're out to have a good time with your partner. You don't just stop." She put out her hand. "You want to give it another try?"

Jimmy rubbed his eyes and sat back, thinking. Then he nodded, determined. "OK."

They got up. Over his head she could see Zac sitting at their table, his suit jacket off and tie loosened, leaning back in his chair and watching her. She smiled and nodded her head at him as she continued dancing with her tiny partner.

Suddenly the song finished and the band settled into a slow number. She looked down at Jimmy apologetically. "Well, I guess this is it for us. Thanks for the dance though, Jimmy. You did great."

He screwed up his face and shouted dramatically. "Ahhhh, I'm tired of dancing." Quick as a flash, he ran off to the other corner of the room, leaving Vanessa alone on the edge of the dance floor.

"So Gabriella, does this mean your dance card is free?"

Hey.

There stood Zac, grinning at her.

"Yeah, I think so," she said, flicking him a challenging look. "But you're going to have to bring your 'A' game, Troy. Jimmy's set the standard pretty high."

"Oh, I think I can manage," he said, laughing. "By the way-I got you something. In honour of our recent engagement."

She looked down and saw a rose from the centerpiece in his hand, its long stem trimmed off. Tentatively, he reached up and tucked it behind her ear.

Is it possible to die of happiness?

"Perfect." He took her hand. "Now where were we?"

She wrapped her arm around his neck and nestled in close to him, her smile uncontainable as they swayed to the music together. "Right about here."

--------------------------------------------------------


They ran lightly out of the ballroom together, their hands held tight. Vanessa led the way to her room on the second floor and they stood at her door, still talking.

It's so easy to be with her. I could do this all night.

"I feel like Cinderella," she said, laughing. "Spirited away from the ball at midnight, to avoid turning into a poor little cinder girl in front of her beloved prince."

Zac grinned. "Well, in this case it's to avoid the wrath of Kenny Ortega in the morning, which on the whole is a much more frightening prospect."

She pushed his shoulder good-naturedly. "Yeah, right." She smiled. "Thanks for taking me out tonight, Zac. This has been.... amazing."

"Yeah, it really has." He looked into her eyes warmly, for once not avoiding them. "I've wanted to do something like this for a long time-"

The elevator door dinged and Corbin stepped out.

Oh, come on.

Corbin waved to them, then suddenly stopped abruptly, putting his hands in the air. "Don't mind me, I'm just off to bed." He laughed. "Continue... whatever you were doing. Whatever it might be. Forget I was even here." His door closed quickly behind him.

Thanks, man.

"As I was saying..." he continued, his voice suddenly breaking.

"...That you've wanted to do this for a long time?" She finished off the sentence in a teasing voice, but her stare was serious. He looked down at her, his eyes intense, and broke his hand free from her clasp, wrapping his arms around her waist and pressing her to him close.

"Yeah. And... there's something else I've been wanting to do."

He leaned down and kissed her, his lips soft on hers. Her hands slid up around his neck, pulling him in closer.

Nothing has ever felt so right.

When they broke apart, he was still smiling at her.

"I sure hope you took off the acting hat for that one," he whispered, breathless.

She laughed, then put her finger to her lips. He moved a stray hair out of her face and grinned at her. She kissed him on the cheek and held him close, then slipped out of his touch and clicked her door open. Ducking her head, she smiled shyly at him.

"Sweet dreams, Zac," she said. "This was the perfect adventure to have tonight."

As she closed the door, he closed his eyes and let out a deep breath.

Sweet dreams to you too, Vanessa.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note:

Man, do I love weddings!

By the way, I haven't been using songs in this fic, but the song running through my head the entire time I was writing this chapter was "Gotta Have You" by the Weepies. In case you're interested, it's available on a free download compilation called Sweet Nothings from Nettwerk Records: https://www.werkshop.com/nettmusic/sweetnothings.jsp
Sign up to rate and review this story