Categories > Original > Romance > Taming A Princess.

Trading Handbags For Haystacks.

by shehadtheworld12 1 review

Delilah's first day at school...oh no.

Category: Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres:  - Published: 2010-04-11 - Updated: 2010-04-12 - 2904 words

1Funny
Three days later.

“Oh…my….God!” I whined as I looked around the…I don’t even know what this was. “There’s grass everywhere! And I’ve never seen so many cows in my life! Do you not love me anymore?” I cried out as I looked around the scenery in disgust. We were in this God forsaken state they call Tennessee as I cringed. I never felt so betrayed. Was it possible to sue for that? I shook my head and sighed.

“We certainly aren’t in California anymore Toto.” I mumbled.

“Delilah you’re acting like a drama queen, sometimes in life we have to make decisions that aren’t always the greatest. This is our situation. Make the best of it.” my father replied as I scoffed.

“Make the best of what? Straw hats? Grass? You have got be kidding me, does this place ever seen the sun?” I asked looking up at the gray sky. Does anyone realize how much the humidity is going to screw up my hair?

“Bet they don’t even have a mall.” I mumbled under my breath. This was not the way I pictured spending my last two years of high school. It was supposed to be with my friends, not with cattle.

“This is just the country side, there’s more to it than you think. Just please give it a chance.” my mom replied and I shook my head and fell back against the car seat. Give it a chance?

To hell I would….
~~

“Delilah, get up it’s time for school.” I heard my mother say. I grumbled as I opened my eyes and looked at her.

“Mommy?” I asked as I sat up and rubbed my eyes.

“Oh mom, I had the worst dream ever. I dreamt that daddy has to leave his job and we were forced to move to Tennessee!” I cried out as I held a hand to my heart.

“Uh sweetie?” my mom asked and I looked at her as she motioned around. I sighed and cursed under my breath as I looked around the lavender room and tasteless walls. I rolled my eyes. Fuck me on a Tuesday morning….it was real.

“I’m not going to school.” I mumbled as I laid back down and threw the pillow over my head in attempt to get over the fact that I wasn’t in California anymore.

“You have to.” she replied and I shook my head.

“I can’t believe you’re actually doing this to me.” I whispered as she sighed.

“Delilah we’re not punishing. It’s part of life and sometimes you have to accept the end result whether you like it or not. How bad can it be?” she asked curiously and I threw the pillow off and looked at her.

“Considering people leave their Christmas lights on, even though it’s March, I would say pretty insignificant.” I retorted as she shook her head.

“Delilah you’re just so…dramatic sometimes. Now let’s go or I’m really going to ruin your life by making you take the bus.” she replied and I rolled my eyes and glared. I wouldn’t be caught dead riding in those unsanitary yellow contraptions. The thought of even touching a seat was enough to make me cringe.

“Fine, can I at least have some privacy to get ready?” I asked her as she nodded and let out the door as I huffed and threw my pillow at the closet. I threw the covers off of me and looked around in disgust at my room. It was small, small, and small. It was half the size of my old room. I didn’t even have a nice view to look out of. It was a view of you guessed it…grass. I sighed and looked out at the overcast sky and got up to take a shower. Guess there’s no reason to tan out here…

When I finished, I let my hair dry in to curls as I shivered from the cold morning air. I grumbled as the cold always seem to piss me off. I looked through my closet and sighed. This whole place needed a makeover. The floors were scratched, the yard didn’t have a pool, and my room was so boring. I would need to access the situation immediately in order to save this poor house’s life. I rummaged through the shirts and settled on my favorite pink Hollister shirt and skinny jeans before putting on my favorite pair of black heels. I put of a blue zip up hoodie and did my make up (flawless of course) as I grabbed my school bag and looked in the mirror and sighed. Even my reflection knew we both weren’t happy.

I walked down stairs and grabbed an apple before my mom had come in with her coffee.

“You ready?” she asked.

“Not like I have a choice.” I said grabbing my schedule out of my bag and looked at my mom.

“Try to have a good day?” she said as I looked down. Try….yeah right.

“Fine.” was all I said.

“You know you’re way around right?” I nodded as I grabbed my car keys ad walked out of the house and into the unnecessary cold as I grumbled and started the car. The school wasn’t too far from where we lived, but I wouldn’t walk. I was perfectly fine taking my car to anywhere I needed to go, that was the whole purpose of a car right?

I cringed as the school came into view. Centennial High School here in Franklin. This definitely wasn’t the place for someone like me, it sounded like a detention facility rather a high school. I turned off the car and grabbed my bag as I looked out and frowned. Everyone was staring at me while I awkwardly locked the door. Now normally I wouldn’t mind it when all eyes were on me….but this time…these eyes scared me. Eyes that clearly said who the hell are you, and you don’t belong here…

How undeniably and inevitably right they were.

I walked by the many faces and stares as they taunted me with their eyes, I never felt so small. This wasn’t how it was supposed to be. I was feared by them, not me fearing them. I decided to just ignore the annoying stares and snickers as I walked inside, taking a deep breath when the eyes had subsided. The school was pretty large with lots of unfamiliar rooms and decorations , rather tacky if I might mention. This wasn’t even close to being my old school. I swore I could still smell the nasty aroma of grass.
I couldn’t get away from it could I?

I walked to the front office and up to the desk as a woman in a purple suit was speed typing at a computer while I waited for her to acknowledge me. I tapped my foot softly as it took a good minute before she spoke.

“Can I help you?” her monotone but with a small country accent had asked.

“Umm…I’m a new student, can you please tell how to get to my first class?” I asked nicely but she only seem to analyze me as I felt awkward. I studied her features, she could surely benefit from an eyebrow wax and a new lipstick shade…

“Where’s your first class?” she asked.

“It says room 213 Mr. Taylor.” I replied and she softly sighed. God, it was a simple question. It didn’t look like she was doing anything else interesting.

“Make a left and then a right. Go past the gym and make another left. It’s right there.” she said in a certain tone, I was sure she was mocking me. I glared at her slightly as I took my paper.

“Thank you.” I retorted and walked off as my heels clicked against the floor. I knew I was going to hate this place more than the actual fact I had to go here for the next two years.

So I followed Mrs. Iobviouslyhaveastickinmyass’ directions and walked down the hall as several guys whistled at me and I scoffed. They looked like they spent way too much in the barnyard. I shook my head, nothing could ever compare to California beach boys. I smile in relief as I managed to make it to my first class, figuring I was early, I walked inside only to find that class had started and everyone stopped what they were doing as they looked at me. Again, with the unwelcoming eyes.

“May I help you miss?” a man with a protruding belly and a hair piece that looked like it was made of a beaver (probably was, considering where I live at. Animals are everyone’s friend.) I giggled inside and looked at him.

“I’m in this class.” I replied as I handed him my schedule and he looked at it before nodding.

“Okay welcome. You may take a seat next to Ingrid.” he said pointing at a girl with red and black hair as she didn’t look up from her seat as I nodded awkwardly and went down the aisle despite hearing the snickers again. This wasn’t fair, I felt like an outsider, people loved me! Now they just stare and snicker at me…was it possible I was the nerd for once? I cringed at the thought.

“Uh, babe? The mall is that way.” a boy with brown hair had said and at first, I thought he was serious, till I realized he was mocking me. I glared at him inside.

“Really? Cause the farm is that way.” I retorted pointing in the other direction and he turned back around defeated as I shook my head. Can you say loser? Despite the fact that I felt like a loner, I was determined to not be fully stepped on. I looked around completely bored still my eyes stopped at the girl. Ingrid. Her black hair fell to her face as she was drawing rather than listening to the lesson. Her dark clothes were in such contrast to the other students who wore such casual clothes. Despite her dark personal, she actually looked normal compared to the others. I studied her black shirt and pants. She looked like a poster child for that one store where all those Goths go…what is it? Hot chocolate? No…Topic? Yeah that’s it. Hot Topic. I’ve never been in there, and I’m not sure I want to…

“Hello.” I said softly to her as she looked up, her eyes coated in her black, her lips red, and her lip and nose pierced, what kind of person would do that to themselves? She gave a glare before returning to her drawing and I looked back offended. Gosh, I was just trying to be nice. I’m sure she doesn’t get that often anyways. This day was just going to get worse and worse was it?
~

If you said yes, you are of course correct. This school was like Dante’s Inferno. Every class a new level of hell. I got in trouble for the most random things. Especially Gym. I don’t think I got on the coach’s good side when I asked about the school’s outfits. I mean who wants to wear red and white? It’s so typical. He only glared and demanded I put it on as I growled and did so. I’m so burning these when I get the chance. Even math was more complicated. Then in Bio I was told I’m going to fail this class if because I didn’t want to cut a frog open. Are you serious? Just because those green things are wart infested and slimy, I still wouldn’t cut it open, what kind of people live here?! History seemed to lighten up more, except the fact that the nerd next to me like to see how far he could flick his boogers….and now that I brought that up, I don’t feel like eating my orange anymore…

I figured I’d go to the library considering I’d be alone for a while. Maybe I’ll text Kristina and let her know my suicide plan. I avoided everyone and they avoided me like the black plague. This would never happened in California. There, guys would give up their seats to me and give me things. Here, the only thing I get is glares and snickers behind my back. I rounded the corner and out of nowhere I collided with someone and somehow my orange went flying across the hall as I groaned at the smack of my boob. The other person grunted and growled.

“Watch where you’re going Barbie.” the boy muttered and I gasped offended as he stalked off.

“Asshole.” I retorted as I picked up my bag.

“Here.” some said as I looked up. It was a skinny boy, curly brown hair with blue eyes and black rimmed glasses and a narrow shaped baby face and skinny jeans with a Slipknot tee and a black sweater, the only person here who actually seemed normal…

“Thanks.” I mumbled as I realized he was holding my orange in his hands.

“You’re not from here are you?” he laughed slightly as I grumbled and took the orange from his hands.

“How can you tell?” I asked sarcastically as I put the orange safely in my bag.

“Well for one, no one here wears Hollister, and two…well you look like a poster child for Limited Too.” he replied as I shook my head.

“Is it such a crime in this town to like pink?” I retorted and he smiled as he shrugged.
“Possibly.” he said as he helped me up of the floor.

“Thanks.” I said softly. He held his hand out and shook his head.

“No problem. I’m Torrin.” he said extending his hand.

“Delilah.” I replied and he smiled.

“Cool name.” he said nodding.

“You too.” he replied as I smiled. He was kind of cute, not that I would date him, I just meant ‘cute’ in general.

“Can I ask you something?” I asked curiously.

“Sure.”

“Why are you being nice to me? Everyone else seems to think I’m a mutant.” I explained as he looked around and shrugged.

“Maybe I’m not like everyone else.” he replied and I looked at him for a moment. Despite his appearance, it was better than having no friends right?

“Look…obviously were from two different classes, but you look like you could use some guidance and direction.” he smirked as I glared at him but nodded in defeat. He was right for once.

“I guess you’re right.” I put in as he laughed and nodded.

“I always am…so come on you can have the opulence of sitting with me at lunch so you’re not a complete and total loser.” he smiled as I shook my head and shrugged.

It was better than reading in the library….then again….everything was…

“Perhaps if you stick me you might be able to fit it in…I think.” he said awkwardly.

“Wow Torrin, thanks for breaking that last strand of hope.” I said sarcastically as he laughed.

“It’s in my job description to do so.” he teased as I shook my head. For a nerd he was alright…
~

“Where did you move from anyways?” he asked curiously. The end of the day had finally come and I savored the sweet sound of the last bell. I still couldn’t believe I actually had to attend here. At least I had Torrin for the time being, even though he won’t stop taking a huff of his damn inhaler every 20 minutes.

“California.” I said checking my lip gloss.

“I can see the trauma it would cause for…a person like you.” he replied.
“Person like me?” I asked curiously from my mirror.

“Uh the ‘I love wearing pink, I hang out at the mall for a living, puppies are cute’ kind of gal.” he teased.

“Gosh Torrin, your sense of humor just astounds me.” I retorted. He laughed of course.

“I’m just saying. It’s not all bad here. You’re just…going to have to embrace your country side.” he said simply as I slammed my compact mirror. I leaned against the locker and glared.

“I don’t have a country side.” I replied as he shrugged and fixed his glasses.

“Then I suggest you get one if you want to survive here.” he retorted as I frowned.

“I’ll see you in English, Barbie.” he said as he walked away while I watched him leave.

“Sarcastic mother fuc-” I mumbled as I stopped and felt someone staring at me. I looked across from where a boy who was abnormally tall with black short hair and brown eyes staring at me. He was leaning against his locker with his black backpack in hand as his eyes were glued to me. I glared at him before shutting my locker and get as far away from him as I could.

What a freak…
Sign up to rate and review this story