Categories > Celebrities > Slipknot > I'm all out of enemies

Come away with innocence

by brittanylyn 1 review

She noticed him watching her across crowded rooms.

Category: Slipknot - Rating: PG-13 - Genres:  - Published: 2010-07-13 - Updated: 2010-07-14 - 1860 words

1Original
Melody awoke to the sound of the shower running. She rolled over and looked at the clock. 7:31. Groaning, she threw herself back under the covers. They had been in bed for an estimate of 3 hours, and there was no way she was ready to face the planet. With one final shudder of protest from the pipes, she heard the water stop. A few minutes later she poked her head out as Sid emerged, letting a cloud of steam out of the bathroom as he wandered over to the closet.
“If you get naked I’m leaving.” Sid turned around and smiled at Melody.
“Morning. Not the best night sleep of your life then?”
“No. Three hours of sleep comes nowhere close. Especially after I had to endure your head-banging crap until the wee hours of the morning and then sleep with you snoring my fucking ear off.” She snapped as she pulled the covers up over her head. Sid chuckled and took the opportunity to throw on a pair of jeans. He towel-dried his hair and brushed his teeth in the bathroom then went back and sat on the edge of the bed. Melody didn’t move. He nudged her back. No response. Could she really have fallen asleep in five minutes? He laid his hand lightly on her back and felt the soft, steady rhythm of her breathing.
Apparently, she could fall back asleep in five minutes.
Sid smiled as he watched her sleep. She was so innocent. So pure. She was a light in his life he never expected to be graced with. He couldn’t remember exactly how they met. A party, probably, or through some dope abusing friend. But he could remember exactly when he realized he wanted her around.

FLASHBACK
“Damnit Sid, why are you always late. We said we were going to be there by nine thirty! Now it’s ten! Every goddamn time you say you’re going to be somewhere you never fucking are.“
“I’m sorry, Rochelle. The band practise ran late and then I had to shower. Fucking relax.” Sid couldn’t get out of the car fast enough. Rochelle hopped out and slammed the door, rattling the rear view mirror. He clenched his teeth in an effort not to snap at her for the umpteenth time that evening. It drove him mental when she was so rough with his car. It also drove him mental when she snapped her gum, or twirled her hair, or picked fluff off his clothing, or smiled at other guys, or bitched at him for playing too loud, or snorted when she laughed, or took a drag off his cigarette, or-
“Hey guys!” He stopped mid-thought when he looked up and saw Melody walking down the driveway towards them with a six pack. He hadn’t known her long, but something about her that night made him want to get to know her. She was dressed simply, in jean shorts and a Metallica tank top. Her hair was back, something he associated with her, and she didn’t have any makeup on. But there was some sort of elegant underline to her that made him curious. “Thought you guys would’ve been here sooner?”
“Don’t ask.” Rochelle huffed, taking a beer and offering one to Sid. He shook his head. He didn’t think he could stand to be around her one more second. He couldn’t even remember why he was with her in the first place. Corey said that was a sign to bail, and he was starting to agree. Rochelle started towards the house. “Are you coming?” She snapped, looking at him expectantly.
“No, you go ahead. I’m going to have a smoke.” He replied, pulling the pack out of his pocket. She rolled her eyes and went inside, joining the party. He offered the pack to Melody. She shook her head. “You don’t smoke?”
“No, I do. I just live by the ‘no taking things from strangers’ rule. It’s definantly kept me from some not so legit situations.” She teased. Easy humour. He liked that. “However, if you have a certain type of other smokeable, it’d be fantastic.” This was usual. Sid pedalled pot when he needed extra cash, and of their handful of encounters, most of them involved her picking up off him.
“So you won’t take a harmless, pre-packaged cigarette, but you’ll trust me for illegal substances? Maybe I don’t sell to strangers.” He tossed back. She giggled and shook her head, looking up at him from underneath her thick black lashes. She was cute, he thought, but with a bit of mystery behind it. It made him want to figure her out.
“If I take a pull from your smoke, we’ve shared something. That makes us friends. Do you sell to your friends, Mr. Wilson?” He shrugged and she giggled again. He held out the cigarette and she took it from between his fingers, brushing her hand against his. Oh yes, he thought, I could easily become obsessed with this girl. Usually the thought had him running with his tail between his legs, but tonight, she was a welcome distraction. She inhaled slowly, holding it in for a minute before blowing it out. She gave it back and he took a pull for himself, tasting a sweet flavour mixing with the nicotine. “There. Now can we be friends?”
“Sure. But I gotta tell you, I don’t usually mix business with pleasure.” He winked. She rolled her eyes, but not in an offensive way, not like Rochelle. And damn, where was she? He didn’t really care, but he didn’t need the hassle of an argument either. “Are you smoking it now or picking it up for your boyfriend?” Not that he wanted to know if she was available. Not the he was available. For now. She laughed.
“No, I’ll be rolling it right this second, actually. It’s been a rough day. And I don’t have a boyfriend.” She said. “I have a girlfriend.” Sid choked on the smoke he had just inhaled, and she laughed even harder. “Just kidding!” He shoved her playfully as she continued to laugh at his reaction.
“Well, Ms. fucking comedian, to be frank, I’d rather not head inside just yet. How about we hotbox my car for awhile?” Sid knew this was being forward, but he didn’t think it would come across in a negative way. She agreed, and they spend the next two hours smoking weed and getting to know each other. She told him about how she was entering her first year of university, and how scary it was. He talked about dropping out of school, and how scary his parents had been when he told them. She talked about living on her own and working two jobs, he talked about still living at home and getting all his meals cooked for him. She talked about how much she missed her dad, and how much she hated her mom. He talked about how much his parents meant to him, and how he couldn’t imagine having to be so responsible. Rochelle ended up leaving him that night, but Sid didn’t care. He had found something even better then easy sex.
He had found a real friend.

PRESENT DAY
Cold. Freezing, arctic cold.
Melody screamed and jumped up. She stripped the now soaking wet shirt over her head and threw it at Sid, who was laughing so hard he had to hold on to the headboard for balance.
“SIDNEY WILSON YOU ARE FUCKING DEAD!” She screeched as she chased him out the door, down the stairs, and into the kitchen. They raced around the island in the middle of the room, Melody screaming obscenities. Suddenly, Sid turned around and she ran straight into his chest. He wrapped his arms around her and held her there as she struggled. “You better let me go or so help me God I will knee you so hard in the balls it will hurt even think the word fornicate!” He laughed again and held tight, until finally she gave in and let him hold her.
“You fell asleep again. I missed you!” He mumbled into her hair. She loved that he was tall enough that she fit perfectly under his chin. It made her feel safe. She wrapped her arms around his waist, felt the heat from his body warm her hands. Pressed up against him, she couldn’t help but to think about what it would feel like to kiss him, to have his hands running all over her body. Stop it, she instructed herself. I am not willing to risk our friendship just because I haven’t gotten laid in months.
“You could’ve woken me up in a nicer way.” She whined. He chuckled and kissed the top of her head, then looked down with a mischevious look in his eye. She looked down too and realized why. Crossing her arms over her chest to hide the fact that it was cold in the kitchen and she wasn’t wearing a shirt, she said “Not my fault, it’s freezing in here.”
“Not complaining.” He teased as he let her go. He took off his shirt and handed it to her, turning his back to comb through his cupboards. She slipped his tshirt over her head and inhaled the musky scent he left behind. “However-“ He paused as he got down two bowls and a box of Lucky Charms “- If you want me to act responsibly, do not wear lacy undergarments to bed and take your shirt off in the middle of the night whilst being all cuddly and shit. I had to put it back on you, or risk you getting poked in the back.”
“Gross!” She exclaimed as they sat down at the kitchen table.
“Hey, friend zone or not, I am a man. And when I wake up in the night, half asleep, and find myself cuddling with a half naked girl? Shit might go down. Or, up.” He shrugged at her and took a big bite of cereal, looking over the game on the back of the cereal box. She chewed slowly, thinking. Their relationship had always been blurry around the edges, but nothing had ever gotten serious. A few drunk, sloppy kisses and some suggestive cuddling maybe, that’s as far as it went. But over the past couple of months, she had noticed a gradual change in how they acted towards each other. It was unedited, yet more polite. Raw, yet defined. She noticed him watching her across crowded rooms, making sure she was safe. And when he was on stage, their eyes met more then had to be coincidence. Anyone who met them asked if they were in a relationship. Anyone who already knew them, knew that they should be. But they swore up and down that nothing was going on. And technically, she reflected, they hadn’t been lying.
But could she say the same now?
Sign up to rate and review this story