Categories > Celebrities > 30 Seconds to Mars > Deaf Heaven

In Dreams They Look on Thee

by chem_x 1 review

I had the sheet from the room in my back pocket and sonnet twenty-nine in my front pocket even though it was covered in blood.

Category: 30 Seconds to Mars - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama,Romance - Published: 2010-09-06 - Updated: 2010-09-06 - 1301 words - Complete

2Moving
Violet sat rosy cheeked and bandaged in the white room, she wasn’t going to be staying long, I had heard her arguing with the doctors that she was leaving soon and they couldn’t fight back with her on her wits end.
“So you were in the crash with me?” I started casually.
Two huge grey eyes shifted over to me, they were the colour of the sky on a rainy evening. “You remember…?” she whispered, looking uneasily at me.
“The nurse told me you came in with me.” I smiled tongue-tied at her.
“That doesn’t mean I was in the crash with you.” She pouted.
“She told me everything she knew Violet.”
“Oh.”
Violet stared at her hands as she rested them across her stomach; she had a tube in her right wrist and a bleeping machine by her side. “I think I’ll go asleep for the nigh’ Jared. Why don’t you go for the night…?”
“Will you be here when I get back?”
“Of course I will.” She sighed, pursing the side of her mouth and looking at her hands again, “Good night Jared.”
“Goodnight Violet.” I smiled. I reached over and kissed her forehead, she squirmed lightly and didn’t look at me; she lay down with her side to the door. I could tell she was a crap liar; she just wanted to get rid of me.
I strolled over to the plastic chairs that sat nailed to the hospital walls, it was uncomfortable, and stiff but I didn’t bother complain, I’m sure she sat around on them for me, “You heading home dear?” An older nurse smiled at me, shuffling passed me.
“I told Violet that I was but she’d try escape, I think I’ll just head down for a cup of coffee.”
“Oh lovely dear, my break is now, I’ll join you.” She said politely, I nodded and linked her arm, she was old and fragile looking. A sudden gust of wind would knock the poor lady over.

“And my grandson,” The old nurse, Janine laughed into a cup of tea, “Why he was always quite the rebel.”
I laughed and dunked my biscuit into my coffee, half of it crumbled and turned soggy in the cup, “Why he gets it from you.” I chuckled at her.
“Why dear, my shift is starting soon, we better head on up again.” She smiled, pushing her thin-framed glasses up her nose again.
“Of course, Violet will be having her supper soon.” I smiled.
“What a lovely girl. Ah yes.” Janine mumbled, dragging her feet towards the lift.

“Doctor to floor five! Doctor to floor five!” a petite blonde nurse screamed down the phone, I could hear painful yelling down the corridor; Janine sprinted to the scene, faster than any granny I had ever seen in my life.
A crowd of nurses was huddled around Violet’s door, I ran up behind them, pushing and elbowing my way through. I could hear Violet screaming from outside, something had happened.
I feel into the previously white room. Violet stood on the bed in only her nightdress, blood was pouring from her body; she stared at me, crying, and coughing up more blood. Around her letters of sheets, she was covered in deep paper cuts, the window in front of me was smashed, and the glass cluttered around Violet’s feet.
A nurse ran up to her, a doctor by her side, sweat on his brow and blood splashing onto his white uniform as Violet shook and panicked. “Violet, calm down! Violet!” I called, trying to be heard over her screams. Janine shot passed me like a dart, her eyes determined; her mission clear.
Violet jumped up and down, blood dripping from her; she dodged the needles that the nurses held. Valium shots held like arrows in their hands. As the doctor leapt towards her she leapt from the bed, her cries mellowing and sad. They were more sobs than anything. She dashed into my arms, drenching me in blood and tears. Janine handed me the needle subtly as I patted her back, “its okay Violet, I promise its okay.”
I could feel her heartbeat thumping, each pulse felt like a drum being hit against my chest. Her breathing was shaky; she was hiding her face in my t-shirt.
Flop.
Her body lost balance, her hands dropped to her side and I could her quickly as her legs gave in. I pulled the needle carefully out of her back. “What the hell happened?” I demanded.
Medics rushed in and pulled her onto a stretcher, my clothes were stained red and felt tight. Everyone breathed out and stood silent for a moment, I was stunned; I had just drugged Violet and let the doctors take her away. “I heard- heard a crash, rushed in and saw pages flying around- and- and went to call the cleaners- and- and when we got there.” The nurse pointed around the room, sniffing and wiping her eyes.
“This is madness…” I muttered; bending down to pick up the sheets, expecting some stupid notes from idiot kids, it wasn’t. I gasped and looked quickly at each sheet. “Impossible! Impossible!” I cried, familiar pages looked back at me, they were mint, and fresh, they didn’t look like they had been tossed into a river. I fell to my knees and stared over them. On one- “Sneck-up” was smeared across it in a dark red.

I sat beside Violet’s bedside; she sniffed and sobbed lightly, looking sorrowfully at my clothes. “I’m- I’m so sorry.” She bawled.
“It’s okay once you’re okay darling.” I hushed her, holding her hand tightly. “Do you want to tell me what happened?” I asked in a low tone.
She looked like a mummy wrapped up in all the bandages, “I can’t tell you here.” She whispered so quietly I had to move in close to her, squinting at the wall as she mumbled.
“I need answers…” I said, examining her face when I was close. She was torn and battered, her lip looked like it was split in two and her cheeks looked like they had been clawed by a lion.
“Not yet Jared.” She wept, pulling the bed sheet around her more. “I want to get some sleep-”
“I’ll leave then.” I muttered.
“No!” She gasped, “I mean… I was going to ask you to stay here…” She sniffed. Her eyes were bloodshot and watery, she looked afraid.
I pulled myself onto the bed beside her, not touching off her body in case she felt sore, “I’ll stay as long as you want.”
I watched her turn to her side, facing me this time. She held my hand tight as she squirmed in pain; her whole body was cut and slashed. I had the sheet from the room in my back pocket and sonnet twenty-nine in my front pocket even though it was covered in blood.
It took her half an hour of restlessness before she fell asleep. I admired her fondly; I loved how her creamy brown ringlets of hair rested on her nose as she slept; how her lips pursed as she cringed in her sleep- dreaming. I wondered what she was dreaming about- whatever it was it left her breathing uneasily, she squeezed my hand everything she sighed heavily. I could almost feel the dream as my own with her. Her pulse in her arm was hammering. Thud! Thud! Thud! She wasn’t resting easy. She woke briefly for a moment every few minutes but her eyes told me she was okay. I sighed and fell asleep beside her. 'But when I sleep, in dreams they look on thee...'
Sign up to rate and review this story