Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > Against My Rules

Not Good Enough for Truth in Cliche

by IsisBane 2 reviews

'The girl in the mirror isn't me...'

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Romance - Characters: Frank Iero - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2011-01-10 - Updated: 2011-01-10 - 2020 words

2Insightful
This chapter is brought to you by multiple doses of sugar in the form of Kool Aid and cookies, sleeping all day, and watching Vampire Knight, Death Note, Elfen Lied and High School Of The Dead :) Also, sorry for the lack of MCR in the last chapter. I had to write that part... it was kind of necessary


Adam refused to tell me what he was doing. He just did it without consulting me. I was halfway afraid to see the end result. He actually ended up cutting my hair, which kind of pissed me off. I figured it'd grow back anyway, though.

Here's how it started: Adam asked me if I liked the color purple. I said 'yes' and he then proceeded to tell me how nice that would make my eyes look. I understood what he was talking about when I was handed purple contact lenses. I sighed and put them in. I snuck into the bathroom to look in the mirror. I was mortified when I saw how they looked.

I walked back to Adam. "A, are you insane? This makes me look like more of a freak than the gray did."

He ignored me, grinning. He started on my hair next. Since I had washed it that morning, he didn't really need to prep it. He did get it wet, but that was all. He started chopping off my long waves, talking to me about how amazing this would be when it was done. When he finished cutting it, he did some other things that I wasn't quite sure what they were.

I figured it had to do something with the color, considering I had to wait about thirty minutes while he gave me a manicure. I still didn't get how he was so good with things like that. After the manicure was finished, Adam rinsed my hair out and put something else in it. I waited another few minutes before he rinsed it again. He dried my hair and straightened it.

Next he went onto my clothing. He'd already selected an entire outfit, and he pushed me into Jay's spare bedroom to change. After I finished that, he pulled me back into the small living room to do my makeup. That took him around twenty minutes to perfect.

He stepped back and looked at me, smiling. "It's perfect."

I stood from my seat and walked to the full-length mirror in Jay's room. My eyes must have been affected by those stupid contacts, because that girl in the mirror wasn't me.

My hair had been cut a bit past my chin, and was now a chestnut brown with bright lavender highlights. Violet eyes coated with heavy eyeliner stared back at me. My style was slightly different. I had on an off-shoulder black top with silver and lavender roses covering the front of it, and a silver studded belt around it. A black tulle skirt with purple ribbons barely covered me, and fishnets with matching arm-warmers covered my legs and arms. The outfit was completed with shiny black three-inch platform boots, clad with purple buckled running up the length of them.

It couldn't have been me. This girl may have stuck out, but she was pretty. People wouldn't stare at her like she was a circus act just because of her face. She was worth looking at.

Adam poked his head in the door. “What do you think?” he asked hopefully. I looked at him. What did I think? Did I like it?

I broke into a smile. “Adam, it’s amazing. I love it.” I went over to him and wrapped my arms around him. He laughed. "I thought you might. I didn't what to change you too much, but I guess I did."

I smiled and pulled away from him. "Hey... you wanna go show Jay?" he asked, grinning. I nodded eagerly.

"Aren't you gonna clean the apartment up?" I asked, following him down the hallway. He smirked. "Jay can clean it up. Now come on!"

He took my hand and pulled me out the door with him, locking it from the inside. Adam helped me down the stairs, considering I was still getting used to my shoes. As we walked through the parking lot, Adam looked at me.

He smiled lightly. "I think you looked just fine before. You might like this now, but you'll miss your old self pretty soon. Just remember that it's not too hard to dye your hair black and take those contacts out."

I nodded quietly. He was right, and I knew it. It was weird seeing that little defiant white streak in my hair without my black waves falling around it, covering one of my icy gray eyes. Of course I loved my style now. But even if I didn't like it in a few weeks, I also knew I was the only one who would feel that way.

Our walk continued in silence, just as before. I hated that I couldn't talk in fear of saying something that would hurt him. Adam was too fragile. And I think that's why I'd never understand.

Starbucks came into view a few moments later, and I spotted Kyrsten standing outside. She was leaning against the wall, apparently talking to someone on her cell. As we crossed the street, she looked up and saw us.

Her expression was one of pure surprise and absolute shock. She said something into her phone and hung up. She continued to stare until we reached the sidewalk. She ran up to me and hugged me. "It's amazing! You look so pretty!" she cried. I smiled weakly. So I really hadn't looked pretty before?

She pulled away and looked at me. She shook her head, grinning. "I don't even recognize you. Adam did an amazing job."

I nodded. "That he did", I said, still trying to make my smile look genuine. Why is this bothering me? I hated myself. Shouldn't I be happy that she can't recognize me? Maybe I just want a little reassurance that I wasn't so bad before... but will I get it?

Kyrsten glanced inside. "Come on. Jay's waiting to see it."

I sighed quietly and took a hesitant step forward. Kyrsten giggled and took my hand, pulling me away from Adam. "Let's go!"

I opened my mouth to protest, but was pulled inside before I could even get a word out. Jay stood when he saw Kyrsten. I wasn't sure if he saw me, since I was slightly afraid of his reaction and hiding behind the older girl's back. Kyrsten stepped out of the way and I mentally cursed her for it. Jay's eyes landed on me, and he smiled.

He quickly strode over to us. "Cara mia, you look beautiful", he said.

I blushed slightly. "Thanks Jay..."

He pulled something out of his pocket. I saw a glint of metal. He carefully opened his fist and handed the object to me. I stared at it, a small smile creeping its way onto my face. "I love it."

He grinned. "I figured you would. I remembered that you lost your mom's abalone necklace when we were kids. That one almost looks just like it."

I closed my fingers around it and threw my arms around him. "Thank you so much", I said. I could have cried at that moment. I couldn't believe that Jay remembered something like that. It was so long ago... but even I never forgot it.

Jay chuckled. "I know it's not much, but I wanted you to have it."

I shook my head. "Oh no... This necklace means so much to me. You can't imagine how much it means."

He pulled away from me. "Would you like me to put it on you?" he asked. I nodded, trying to make my smile reduce in size. It wasn't even possible.

I handed to him and turned around. I almost moved my hair out of the way by habit, but realized that I didn't even have to. He slipped the necklace over my head and clasped it. I moved my hand up to touch it. Even though it wasn't the same necklace, I felt like it had the same memories behind it. I just wished it had made contact with my mother.

I turned back to Jay. "Thank you so much", I smiled.

He nodded just as Frank peeked around his shoulder. I only just realized he wasn't still sleeping as he was when Adam and I had left. Frank stared at me, slight disapproval in his eyes. "You wanna walk back to First Avenue with me?" he asked, still giving me that look.

I shrugged. "I don't mind if Jay doesn't."

Jay glanced at the little gremlin that was gripping onto his arm. "Sure..." he mumbled awkwardly. "I'll see you at the concert, anyway."

I smiled and gave him a quick kiss on the cheek. "See ya, Monster."

Frank impatiently tugged on my arm. He gave me that blank stare that I'd already seen too many times. I sighed at gave Jay an 'I am so incredibly sorry' look and turned to the door. Jay pulled me back, breaking mine and Frank's record of personal space invasion. I looked up at him, his unreadable blue eyes gazing down at me. He leaned in closer and before I could even breathe, his lips were gently pressed to mine.

I had somehow forgotten how sweet his kisses were in the three years since I had seen him. I couldn't even think. My mind was clouded with thoughts I couldn't explain, and the world around us froze. God, I missed him.

He almost regretfully pulled away and let go of my arm. I smiled weakly up at him. "I'll see you tonight", I said quietly. He nodded and I quickly walked out the door without even saying a word to Kyrsten or Adam. Frank was on my heels as I walked down the sidewalk, surprisingly quiet.

He broke the silence within a few moments. "Why did you do that?" he asked.

I shrugged. "What did I do?"

He walked a bit faster so that he was next to me. "You changed yourself. Weren't you happy before?" he asked.

I shrugged again. I really didn't know what to tell him. "I didn't want to be a freak-show anymore."

He laughed quietly. "Freak-show? Is that what you think you were?"

I nodded. "And it's not what I think. It's what was obvious."

Frank shook his head. "Did you ever think that maybe all those people looked at you because not only were you pretty, but you weren't like them? They couldn't copy you if they had wanted to. And now you're just another clone."

I froze. What the hell? The mindless little fuck finally decides to share a piece of wisdom after I've gone and done something apparently stupid? I tried not to sound the least bit fazed by what he had said. "Do you think after all the shit you put me through today that I'm really gonna listen to you?" I scoffed.

He shrugged. "I don't know. I just thought maybe you'd understand what I was saying. But I guess you don't."

At that moment, either he sped up or I slowed down. Because I dropped back behind him pretty far. Maybe it was a little of both. Whatever it was, I didn't care. I was officially afraid if Frank could be serious about something when it came to me.


Okayy... I'm not sure when I'm gonna get to update next. I'm not saying I won't be able to in a long time, I just don't have too much time on my hands. I've been homeschooled my entire life and I'm going to be attending an actual school for the first time within the next few weeks. So I really have a lot on my mind. This story takes considerably longer to write for some reason, but I'm sure I'll be able to update my other story; The Puppeteer. But as far as this one goes, again: I have no clue.
Sign up to rate and review this story