Categories > Original > Romance > From Orphan To Princess

2

by jadesohma 2 reviews

la

Category: Romance - Rating: G - Genres:  - Published: 2011-01-26 - Updated: 2011-01-27 - 5022 words

0MarySue
Remember how I said that keeping the adoption quiet was going to be essay, I was very wrong. The past two week have been hell, pardon. I've been looking at every one like it was their last mommments here. So that almost blew my cover. These past few days were the worst. I was shaking and distant. "Just alot on my mind at the moment." Is what I would say if one would notice.

"Jenna? When will my party start?" Beth winned as she began to bounce in impatience.

"When your cake is done." I tell her.

"When will that be?" She leets out another loud, high-pitched wine.

"About five minutes." I smile, looking upon her. She looked to cute in her brand new purple dress that came to her knees and had a flower on her chest.

Knock Knock Knock.

Right after that I hear Johnathan, as I knew I would, "Jenna? Will you be so kind as to get that?" As I do 95% of the time, I go to the door. Granted I waited for the timmer to g off and pulled the cake out, the smell filling the room, and leave it on the top self so only Johnathan and I could take it.

I whip my hands on my half apron before opening the door. The door opened with a breeze, leaving the sight of Miles in it's path. He had a newly made suit and a top hat. He looked up and smiled once he saw me.

"Ah, Miles! Lovely to see you again!" Johnathan said putting his hands on my shoulders.

"I was honored to get your letter. I would never decline an invitation to Beth's brthday party. And theres the little birthday girl her self." He said looking past me for the first time since I opened the door.

"Miles!" Beth yelled, running into his arms and being lifted right off the ground.

"Am I missing something?" I ask, very confused. Looking at the two would make you think tey are brother and sister. They look at eachother with the love only a brother or sister could.

"Miles saved me from the fire that brouth me here! He took me here five years ago!" Beth smiled widely.

"Oh. Right. Um, I have to go start with dinner, a big day and a huge family means a big dinner." I say with a fake smile, turning to the direction of the kitchen.

"Another reason I invited him! He's going to help you with dinner!" Johnathan said taking Miles' hat and coat.

I stop dead in my tracks. I've never had help with dinner and I surely don't need it! I take a deep breath and decide now is no time to argue. Before I leave the room, I peer up the stairs and see little feet that must belong to Trever.

I smile to myself and walk into the kitchen. I start to mix the glaze for the turkey when Miles comes in and definitely trys to draw in my attention.

"What should I start with?" He says tying my spare apron around his waist.

"Can you follow a recipe?" I ask not looking up from my bowl.

"Why yes, I can. I happen to be a great chief." He says softly.

"Great, theres one on counter over there. Beth's favorite." I say pouring more oil into the glaze.

"Sweet potatoes, her mother use to make them for her. She was a cute todler. She was just like your friend Trever, shy, wouldn't come out of her room. When she started to cry about it with me, she would start to play with the others and come out of the room. How did you get here?" He asked as his fingers peel the potatoes.

I stop mixing as soon as I heard him. I haven' thought about horrid day in three years, I was absolutely not going to tell a stranger about it!

"I don't want to talk about it." I say coldy, going to get the turkey from the freezer box. Johanthan put ice in a box to keep food fresh, I don't know why he doesn't market it!

I brush the turkey with the glaze and then put it in the oven. Next I take down the cake and started to decorate. I had gotten icing and sprinkles at the market earlier today. All her favorite, butter cream and rainbow sprinkles. It cost alittle extra, but a secret that Johnathan holds is that he is absurdly ritch. The only reason hes here is because he wanted to make it a better place for the new orphan. Better than where he grew up.

"The cake looks good. Ever thought of doing it for some money?" Miles said poking his head throught the space between my hand and my shoulder.

"Yeah, yeah, get back to the stuffing." I bark.

"Do I find a chip on your shoulder?" He cut up bread as he asks.

"I have my own questions to ask to you." I say drawing small dasiys on the cake.

"Ask away." He laughed putting the knife down and leans on the counter.

"Do you know who the Smiths picked?" I asked with my voice firm and strong.

He sighs, looks me in the eyes and started to talk. "Indeed I do. I mustn't tell, though. Tomarrow I shall take the child home with me and they will meet the Smiths. Then, hopfuly, they'll have a great life in our big house and family." He sighs again as I worry about which one'll be picked. It was clear it would be a huge change for them.

"I hope it's Anneliese. Maybe she'll be lucky enough to forget all about this and what happend to her. She has the greatest chance of calling them mother and father." I say writting 'Beth' on the cake.

"You really love her, don't you?" He asks.

"Yes, how could I not? She took to me when she came here, wakes me up every morning, hangs on me all day till shes ready to pass out." I laugh a solf half hearted laugh. I think I'm about to cry at the thought of her leaving.

"Don't be sad, today is a happy day! It's not every day a little girl turns 9." He whispers to me, making my skin crawl, I'm not sure if it was good or bad.

"I know, I just.... Tomarrow is going to be happy and sad. Bad timing on their part, I must say." I huff, placing the cake on the top shelf. "That's the last dish. Once your done, you can go join the party."

"What about you?" He said, getting close to me.

"I have to clean up." I say coldly.

"I can help you so Beth will have both of us at her party than just me. She looks up to you, Jenna, she wants you there." He says, taking the dish from my hand and startting to wash them himself.

"A man doing the dishes? I never thought i'd see the day." I say in disbelief.

He just laughs. "Who has won your heart?"

"W-What?" I stutter, it cought me by surprise.

"That ring you wear, does it not signify engagement?" He ask nodding to my hand.

I look down, my mothers wedding ring. "It's my mothers. It's all I have left of her. It's the only thing the robbers didn't take. It was coverd in blood so I guess they didn't see it. My sister has my mothers necklace she kept in the safe. I don't think she remembers it though." I say fighting the tears.

"Jenna, I didn't mean-"

"It's fine, you didn't know. Can you clean the rest?" I ask. I need a moment to myself.

"Of course." He sas kindly.

I walk off whiping my eyes on my arm. I let out a deep breath and shook my head. I'm reading to go into the play room. Every one was gatherd around a bored game. I came closer to find the game was chess and Trever beating Johnathan.

"Jenna! You came just in time to see me win!" Johnathan said with joy.

"With only a rook, pawn, and your king? I don't think so." I laugh and pick up Anneliese who had ran to me.

"only a king and a pawn now." Trever smiles, taking the rook from the bored.

"How did you?" He started but stoped as Trever took his pawn.

"Check mate!" He shouted moving his queen.

Johnathan was dumb founded. He had no choice than to turn over his king. Everyone cheered and patted Trever on the back. "Who wants to play me next?" He asked. Joanna took Johnathan's spot. They glare at eachother and shake hands. The step up the pieces. Joanna was white and Trever was black. The game was dmind numbingly boring seeing as both were so good, so I just played with Anneliese's hair.

"Half way through the game, I think, Miles came in. "Dinners ready." He told the crowd. They all got up at once and piled into the dinning room. The table was beautifully set and food was already there.

"Jenny Alice! Come sit next to me!" Anneliese giggled in her seat. She's finally tall enough to shit on a normal chair... With a few books underneath her.

I sit next to my little angel. Just my luck, Miles sits right next to me! Why me! I mean, there are 5 other seats open and he picks the one right next to me. It wasn't because he wanted to be close to Johnathan, the one across from him is open as well! Why is he so annoying?

We all start to eat and talk. Johnathan and Miles enjoyed wine as the rest of us have apple juice. When dinner was over, I brought out the cake.

"Happy birthday Beth! Make a wish!"I light the candles.

She closed her eyes and blew. We all cheered. I start to cut the cake. I give away piece by piece until there was one piece and two people. I give it away, figuring I don't really need it.

"Why do you put others before yourself?" Miles asked, enjoying his caske.

"Because I have to." I say stiffly.

"You shouldn't, it should be Johnathan's job." He says, his lips too close for comfort, to my ear.

Luckly, I was save by Johnathan. "Jenna, will you make up the guest room wile Miles cleans up?" He asked.

"Yes sir." I push my chair in.

I make my way upstairs, to the right, then left, and down the small hall to the only room there. The room was the best in the small house. The comfiest bed, prettiest wall paper, and the best linens. It's rare to have guest so Johnathan trys to make them comfy.

I start to make the bed with freshly washed sheets and blankets. I fluff the pillows and just look at the job i've done. My eyes go heavy looking at it. What harm could it do if I just lay on it for just a few minutes? I slide on it, curl up and close my eyes.
________________________________________________________________________________________

I open my eye to see Miles on the floor with his coat over him. He was sleeping on the floor. I couldn't figure out why. I sit up, it hits me. I fell alseep in the guest room! I know it doesn't sound too bad but Johnathan will be so mad if he finds out! I quickly get out of the bed,around Miles and to the door.

The door creaked open and Miles started to move. He looks my way and smiles as I blurt rushed words at him. "I'm sorry for taking your bed. I was tired. Well, I'll leave you to your self now." I say quickly then opening and shutting the door quickly.

I turn the cornor to the main hall way when I see Anneliese standing ouside my door. She smiled at me and asked, "Jenny Alice, what's today?"

"The 16th of July 1801." I return he smile with possible tears. This might be the last time I might get to do this with her.

"Okay." She sais as her rosey cheek rose and her eyes closed.

I pick her up, brushing hair from her face, taking in the cute smile, hair, and gorgeous blue eyes. For the memory of her will only be enough is I know of her happinesss.

"Let's go get you dressed." I saying moving towards her bed room. Why does this door not chreak? I think opening the door. I get her dressed quickly to ensure not to wake any one else up.

I take her to my room so she wont wake anyone. There, she jumps on my newly made bed, untouched from last night. She looks so cute in her pink dress that I just washed. Suddenly she stops. She looks up at me with those big blues. "Jenny Alice, I'm hungry."

"Alright, come with me." I say taking her small hand into my much larger one.

To my surprise I see Miles standing with a cup of coffee in his hand. He smiled. "So how'd you sleep?" I shot him a look to warn him. "Good thank you." Anneliese said adorably.

I laugh at the cuteness and begin making the pancakes. "Can I have some?" I hear Miles ask. I glare at him but nod.

I give out the 6 pancakes and get aprovel from both of them. After I am done eatting every one starts to come out. They all grabed muffins, porridge, bread, everyone has their own thing. All till Johnathan came in.

He told something to Miles in private then told the crowd. "Everyone to the play room, now."

"We all file into the play room, the only room where we can all fit. Johnathan and Miles both stood towards the the back near the windows wile I stand in the door way holding Annelieses' hand.

Miles cleard this throat. "I know not everyone knows this, but I am here to take home a child for the people I work for. They could not be here. Tonight whom ever is chosen, will meet them. I should really get to the point, shouldn't I? Well, the orphan they have chosen is Jenna."

my eyes widen. This is a shock, it would be to any one. Now, I know this sounds chidish, but, I drop Annelieses' hand and start to run. I end up running to my room. I lock myself in, sinking, putting my head to my knees, and start to cry. I am not going. They need me here. I'm not letting Philly take my spot. No. Never. She wont be taking care of every one. That is my job. I'm not letting that be torn from me.

"Jenna, Jenna it's Miles, you need to come out. We have to be there by noon, so start packing." He says through the door.

"I'm not going any where! They need me here!" I yell back.

"Can you at least come out and help Anneliese. Shes crying for you." Johnathan's voice said.

I gasp and open the door. I see no Anneliese, all I see is a very angry looking Miles. He slames his hand on the door to keep it open. Next thing I know, I'm packing my things.

"I don't need a baby sitter." I say to Miles as he leans on my door.

"Actually, you do. You might lock the door again." He saud, shaking his head at me.

"That was a dirty tirck you played to get me out." I mummble.

"It was the only way to get you out! You wouldn't do it for anyone else!" He says taking my packed bags.

I try to think of a good way to say that is not true, but he was right.

Every one was crowded around the steps waitting for me. Some were crying and some just looked sad. Anneliese was being help by Philly, my guilt already taking over me.

"Bye bye Jenny Alice, promise to come and vist?" She said through watery eyes and gasps of air. Tears had made her face wet and they still continued to drip.

I nod, with my own tear filled eyes, I take her from Philly's arms and hold her close. I did so with everyone. When I was done, I even got one from Johnathan.

"Your just a little rose bud waitting to bloom." He says to me. I smile and whip my eyes.

I say one more good bye then pulled out the door to an awaiting carriage. The driver noded at me and smiled. I returned the smile, then was helped in by Miles. I sat on the finely made seats. Miles came in after I, taking the seat across from me.

"Like I said, you will be meeting the Smiths tonight and at the end of the year, they will have a ball in your honor. A teen aged staff memmber will be assigned to you for surivce. From tonight on, you will forever be a Smith!" He says grandly.

"No."

"What?

"No. I will not be a Smith. I am now and forever be a Lilyman." I say glaring at him then I turn to the window.

"You look more like a rose girl to me." He says. I look at him, knowing the mystery has just been solved. "A red rose girl." He slids to my side and gets close to me.

"You put-"

"Yes, I did put the rose on your bed." He said before I could.

"How?" I ask as he looks into my eyes.

"Would you believe magic?" He asks, getting so close I can feel his breath on my ear.

"No." I say and swiftly sliding to the other side before he got to my ear. I laughed when he fell face first onto the seat.

"You thinks that's funny?" He asks rubbing his nose.

"Yes, to the highest extent." I laugh, kicking off my flats and making my self comfy.

"Is this the real you? Hyper and happy?" He smiled.

"It's just a side of me that I wasn't able to show before. I had to be so up tight. Now I feel free! I'll still miss the life I had before, both of them, but I think I'll make it." I smile, thinking of my, third, new life. "What about you?"

"I like to believe that I'm willing, adventurous, reckless, and a romantic." He says leaning towards me.

"Oh." I say. His beautiful eyes looking into mine. I feel my face getting hot, my heart beatting faster, and my hand clutching the lether of the seat.

Suddenly the carriage stoped. "We're here. Come out and see your new home." His gaze broke when he left for my bags.

It took me a minute, but I sliped on my flats and got out. I stoped in amazment. The court yard was beautiful. Trees lined your path to the door with rose bushes in between. A fountain stood right in the midddle.

"Follow me and I'll show you up to your room." Miles said with two small bags in hand.

He starts to walk and I follow him, still looking at the beautiful court yard. I was so memorized by the beautiy, I almost ran into the door. Luckly Miles stoped me before I did.

His arm hit me right in the stomach. "Thanks." I say, catching my breath from the blow. He just laughs a me.

Before I can say a word against it, my breath was taken away once again. The parlor was gorgeous with lily's on each tile on the floor, walls wearing a soft shade of pink, and doors behind the grand stair case that took up most of the room.

I feelt a little nug on my fore arm. "Come on, this isn't your room." Miles said trying not to laugh. I follow him again up the steps. The light pink hall way exposed more hall way than I thought and even another stair case at the end of the hall.

Miles took the right then stoped at the third door down to the left. He waited for me to chatch up to him before he opend the door.

Another breath taking room. This one was coral with white trim running around it. The room was filled with a king sized canapy, a pearl white vanity, a wall full of books, two chairs, a sofa, and a table.

"Is this really mine?" I ask in a daze.

"Yes, all yours, where do you want your bags?" He asked.

"Any wehere!" I say, jummping onto my bed, letting my long brown hair fly.

"You haven't even seen the best part!" He says moving to glass doors I just now noticed. I follow him out to a balcony that looked over the back yard, which, was 100 acres. I could see a huge tree and a lake side by side.

"I have another thing to show you." Miles whispers to me. He dragged me back into my room and opened another door across from my bed. "You'll like this one." He opened the ddor, he was right! I loved it! The room was my cloaset! It looked almost as big as my real room! Two of the three walls were coverd in dresses. Big, small, sexy, frumpy, short, long, designed, plain, long sleeved, short sleeved, and every thing in between. I was in heaven! The third was coverd in jewls and stones. I ran to that wall before any other. This one is my favorite.

Suddenly, I feel something wraping around my neck and hearing Miles whisper. "This is a welcoming home gift from the Smiths." I follow his hands that are new to my shoulders, loving every minute of it. When I reach my shoulders, his hands are no where to be found, even though I can still feel the warmth of them.

I look down at the necklace. It was a small heart shaped stone with the engraving of Jenna on it with a rose underlining it. I gaze at it while thinking, why me? Why not another? Why not one that can grow up in this life and not look back on the life before?

Eventally I walk out of my closet and to the book shelf. How could they have known I love to read? I scroll my finger over the selection. I finally settle on The Lost Spirt. As soon as I sit down, A girl bursts through the door. She wore a black maids dress that went down to her mid thigh. Her dirty blonde hair was lying on her shoulders. She was mummbling something under her breath and throwing her feather duster before noticing me.

"Oh horse shit! I'm so sorry! I forgot you were coming today! I'll just straighten up-"

"No, it's fine. I made the mess, I'll clean it up." I say eyeing her. "What's you name?

"Madeline." She bows to me. "Sorry for coming in like that. My mother just made me so mad, so I come in here, read a book, take a hot bath, by the way, best bath ever!" Madeline said pointing to the only unopen door in the room.

"So you must be Jenna. Well I'm suppose to wait on you hand and foot. Like that's gonna happen! Oh and it's almost lunch so your little chelf should be here any moment." She said laying down on the sofa.

We hear a knocking at the door.

"That'll be him!" she says getting the door. A tall vurly brown hair boy walked in. He was taller than Madeline, which is saying something. He held a sliver tray and he put it down on the table in front of me.

"Aw! Look! It's little Tommy! Your a big boy now!" She mocked.

"Tommy?"

"My name is Thomas!" He barked at Madeline.

"Yeah, but I'll always know you as my little cousin Tommy!" She said pintching his cheeks.

"Can you not call me that in front of her?!" He asks.

"Why have you got a crush on her?!" She laughs.

"NO! I, unlike you, am trying to be professional!" He yelled. He gave Madaline a look then left.

"HA! That was so funny! I love making him mad!" She laughed again.

"Don't you think that was alittle mean?" I say taking a bite of the dish.

"Nah! I do it all the time!" She says. "Oh, you got some on your dress! Come with me! I'll help you pick out one that'll look perfect on you!" She says running into my closet and coming out with a light pink dress and matching heels.

She shoves them into my arms and me into the closet to get changed. I slip on the soft dress and surpirsingly comfy heels.

"You look beautiful! Damn! I have to go! I'll take your dirty dress and plates! See you in a few! Bye!" She said running out the door.

As soon as shes gone I kick off my heels and go to the balcony. Looking out into the yard makes an idea pop into my head, I grab my book. Looking all around, I see roses growing on a fence that goes from the tip of the balcony to the ground.

First, I drop my book that landed with a thud when it hit the ground. I swing my leg over the balcony bar and my foot touches the top of the fence. When my feet finally hit solid ground, I pick up my book and run to the huge tree.

I sat down under the shade. I look out to the still water then to my book. I only get to page 10 when I hear "That was smooth back there." I look up and Miles was standing over me.

"Heh, thanks. I did it all the time when I first got to the orphanage. There was a fence just like thatright out side my window. I'd sneek out every night to see my old house, before it was sold." I say looking dow at my hands.

"You still never told me what happend to your family." He say sitting next to me.

"Do I have to tell you?"

"It would make me happy." He said.

"Now I'm really not going to tell you." I smile widly.

"Now that is just pure evil." He laughs, moving him self closer.

"Why do you want to know so badly? Why do you want me to relive the worst part of my life." I ask him.

"So I can hold you when you cry, so you will open up and trust me, so you'll learn to love me." He says softly.

I start to shake. The love in his eyes is real. I want to... but he just seems too perfect. I mean, how can he be everything that I love in a man?

"It's fait I guess." He said answering the question I only asked in my head.

"I stoped believing in fait along time ago." I say with the vison of the frist week after flashing before my eyes. How I didn't believe anymore, and how it got worse once my sister was adopted.

"Don't you think things happen for a reason?" He asked drawing near.

"Not since my parents were taken from me out of greed!" I yell.

"It's alright, my parents were killed too." He says pulling my head onto his shoulder.

I look up at him and he nods.

"They wanted something my father had, he wouldn't give it to them, and he and mother paid the price." He said.

"I'm so sorry, how old were you?" I shift my head.

"Seven."

"Aw! You were just a child!"

"And so were you." I lift my head an look at him. I look down for only a second, and when I look up, I see nothing but a rose and a note in his place. I pick it up and read it.

You believe in magic now?

"No." I say to myself, putting the note in my book. I needed a book mark.

"Jenna! There you are! They're back! The want to meet you!" Madeline says stumbling over the hills.

I shoot up and ran past her. For some odd reason, I'm dying to meet them. "Come on ,this way!" She grabed my arm and pulled me through a door. It was obvious this was the kitchen. "Come on, Tommy! They want us behind her!" She yells at a very shocked Thomas whom just droped an empty bucket and started to follow us.

She dragged me into the parlor. She lashed me in front of her right before the huge front doors open. Then, a man walked in. He was decorated in various pins and metals. He had brown wavey hair and blue eyes. A women came in after him. She had brown hair and light brown eyes.

When hers met mine, they lit up. I huge smile was painted on her lips. She came to hug me when the smile was full blown.

"Oh Jenna! I'm so happy to finally meet you! Ive wanted a child for so long! You have made my dream come true!" She squeezed me. "I'm Isabella and this is my husband, Robert. Oh and I see Miles has given you the necklace." She points to the stone. "That's odd, I didn't put the rose in the design. It doesn't matter though, it's pretty. Why don't we go into the dinning room to get to know eachother?"

I nod as we walk into the dinning room.
---

Haha! Jadesohma has done it again:D I hope you like this one! I hope it made you cry or make you smile:) I know I loved writting it. And please don't get too happy about the length, I never write this long! I don't know what got over me! But thanks any way! Keep the reviews coming!
Sign up to rate and review this story