Categories > Cartoons > Avatar: The Last Airbender > Songfics

Come Back To Me

by Need2Write 0 reviews

Slight AU Mai Lets Zuko go if he'll go back to her

Category: Avatar: The Last Airbender - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Romance - Characters: Zuko - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2011-03-20 - Updated: 2011-03-20 - 725 words

0Unrated
A/N: A songfic in honor of my favorite pairing Mai and Zuko. The song used is "Come Back To Me" By David Cook. Remember to read and review.

Come Back To Me

You say you gotta go and find yourself
You say that your becoming someone else
Don't recognise the face in the mirror
Looking back at you


Mai stood beside Zuko as he told her about the war meeting.
"I was the perfect prince, the son my father wanted but I wasn't me."
Mai knew what was coming. He was going to leave.

You say your leaving
As you look away
I know there's really
Nothing left to say


"I have to leave."
Zuko whispered his forehead touching hers.
"I know"
Mai whispered before resuming their embrace. There was nothing left to say.

Just know I'm here
Whenever you need me
I'll wait for you


That night as Zuko slept in her arms Mai told him the truth. She told him everything. She concluded her speech by telling his sleeping form that she'd wait for him forever.

So I'll let you go
I'll set you free
And when you see
What you need to see
When you find you
Come back to me.


Mai knew Zuko wanted to leave and she knew what was keeping him back. Her. The eve before the Day of Black Sun, Mai visited Zuko and broke up with him.
"When you've seen what you need to see, when you've found you, come back to me."
Mai whispered before fleeing back to her house. Once inside Mai started to cry.
"I've let you go, I've set you free."
Mai whispered before curling up in her bed and sobbing.

Take your time
I won't go anywhere
Picture you with
The wind in your hair


Mai hadn't moved since she broke up with Zuko. She had no energy anymore. On the Day of Black Sun, she climbed onto the roof and just managed to see Zuko in his war balloon following the avatar. He was as beautiful as ever.

I'll keep your things
Right where you left them
I'll be here for you.


Mai surveyed her room. Her mother Lady Shien wished to burn all of Zuko's things which he had left. Mai threatened her with a knife.

Oh and I'll let you go
And I'll set you free
And when you see
What you need to see
When you find you
Come back to me


Mai couldn't believe Zuko was so stupid. She had let him go for a reason. That reason was not for him to break in to a Firenation prison AND get caught. Mai fumed all the way to the boiling rock. He was supposed to come back to her after he succeeded. Mai was not happy.

And I hope you find everything you need
I'll be right here waiting to see
You find you
Come back to me.


It was exhilarating, for the first time in her life Mai was fighting to save someone she loved. Yes loved, she was long past the stage of denial. I'll be right here waiting to see you win.
"Come back to me!"
Mai shouted up to the gondola hoping Zuko could hear her.

I can't get close if your not there
I can't get inside if there's no soul to bear
I can't fix you
I can't save you
It's something you have to do


As Mai was sitting in the dank prison cell., she realised that she wouldn't be able to help Zuko anymore. That hurt even more than the burn that ran down her right thigh.

So I'll let you go
I'll set you free
And when you see
What you need to see
When you find you
Comeback to me


Letting him go was the best thing Mai ever did in her life. No matter how much it hurt she knew as she sat in her disgusting prison clothes. Orange, honestly. The knowledge that Zuko would come back kept her from falling into despair.

And I hope you find
Everything that you need
I'll be right here waiting to see
You find you
Come back to me


"I guess it means I actually kind of like you"


A/N: I think I might actually write a Zutara fic. Gosh. I hate Zutara but it is tempting.........
Sign up to rate and review this story