Categories > Cartoons > Avatar: The Last Airbender > Songfics

If I Can't Love You

by Need2Write 0 reviews

Oh my a Zutara fic! Basically Zuko is pining for Katara.

Category: Avatar: The Last Airbender - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama,Romance - Characters: Zuko,Katara - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2011-03-25 - Updated: 2011-03-25 - 704 words

0Unrated
A/N: A Zutara fic! From me! This fic it to "If i cant love he" from the Broadway musical of beauty and the beast. And no I do not own anything. Now be nice and review as this is my first fic for this pairing.


If I Can't Love Her


And in my twisted face
There's not a slightest trace
Of anything that even
Hints at kindness

Zuko raised his hand to his scar. She had touched him there. She didn't seem to care that he was ugly and dishonoured. That was the difficulty she didn't care about him. She loved the Avatar.

And from my tortured shape
No comfort no escape
I see but deep within
Is utter blindness

Zuko stared at his reflection in the water. Thanks to his father he was trapped like this for the rest of his life. Katara would never know what he looked like without his scar.

Hopeless
As my dream dies
As the time flies
Love a lost illusion

It was hopeless, Zuko thought as he stared at the campfire. Everyone was family here bar him. No one had ever loved him. Zuko tried to look away but his eyes were drawn back to Katara everytime she smiled or laughed.

Helpless,
Unforgiving
Cold and driven
To this sad conclusion

Katara only glared at him. It could be worse, Zuko reasoned. Zuko knew why she was unforgiving and cold. He understood her drive and her frustration at feeling helpless. He wished she knew it too.

No beauty could move me
No goodness improve me
No power on earth
If I can't love her

Before Zuko saw Katara, he didn't care about any form of beauty but he soon found everything from a single firelily to the way a piece of fabric fluttered to the ground somehow connected to her beauty. Before he realised he loved her, no goodness could help him be a better person. He knew he was evil and cruel and he knew that would happen again if he can't love her.

No passion could reach me
No lesson could teach me
How I could have loved her
And make her love me too

Zuko kissed her once at his beach house. It was gentle but passionate. When Zuko and Katara finaly broke away, Katara ran. Zuko stood there dumbfounded. When Mai kissed Zuko it was controlled but slightly passionate. Zuko could never bring himself to return her passion. Zuko could have loved Katara, if only she had given him the chance.


If I can't love her
Then who?

Who else was there if there wasn't Katara? The thought of going back to Mai after spending time with Katara, made him depressed.

Long ago I should have seen
All the things I could have been
Careless and unthinking
I moved onward

I should have joined their group earlier, Zuko thought as he watched Katara and Aang train. I could have stopped her from falling in love with the Avatar.

No pain could be deeper
No life could be cheaper
No point anymore
If I can't love her

Every time he saw her even after the war, even after she married Aang, even after he married Mai under political pressure, even after Katara's children were born, even after his children were born, it hurt. Zuko was the firelord but he thought he had the cheapest life in the firenation. There was no point in being the firelord, Zuko thought, If I can't love her.

No spirit could win me
No hope left within me
Oh I could have loved her
And that she'd set me free

Sokka worshiped the Moon, Azula worshipped Fire. Zuko had no spirit. He couldn't bring himself to worship if they wouldn't let him love her. He had no hope for the spirits. Zuko could've loved her and Katara could've set him free.

But it's not to be
If I can't love her
Let the world be done with me

But it's not to be, Zuko thought as he watched a heavily pregnant Katara help her other children off Appa. I think I shall kill myself, Zuko though as Katara hugged him. I think I shall if I can't love her.
Sign up to rate and review this story