Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > Or Would it Be Forever

And When I Come Home

by KimmaLoveLaugh 4 reviews

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: R - Genres: Drama,Romance - Characters: Frank Iero,Gerard Way - Published: 2011-05-17 - Updated: 2011-05-17 - 1789 words - Complete

2Moving
Gerard eventually got a letter from Frank, which he responded to immediately. They'd even gotten to talk on the phone. Frank seemed tired and sad but Gerard could tell that he was doing his best to keep the mood light. Gerard had asked Frank if he was coming home for Christmas and Frank assured him that he wouldn't be able to make it. It was sad for Gerard to think about. Frank had always loved the holidays.

So when Christmas finally came Gerard wasn't feeling...jolly. The Way family had tried to make the holiday season as happy and normal as possible for Gerard. He and Mikey had to put up the Christmas lights outside the house and they had to drag the old, fake tree down from the attic, setting it up, all while their mom baked cookies. Yeah it was just like any other Christmas except this time Frank wasn't there to help. You see, when Frank's father left when he was 12, the Way's and the Iero's had started the tradition to have Christmas at the Way house. Frank and the two Way sons would set up all of the decorations and make it all department store worthy for their mothers.

Frank usually complained and pouted at his boyfriend saying that he was either too cold or too short to really help, so he usually got off just untangling the string of white lights. And once the lights were untangled, he made his way into the kitchen, making hot cocoa and chatting with his mother and Donna while he waited for the cookies to be done. Then when Gerard and Mikey came back into the house, he'd bring a cup of cocoa to Gerard, kissing his boyfriend's cold lips and spending the next two hours cuddled on the couch watching The Santa Claus, trying to warm Gerard.

But this year Ms. Iero did not come to the Way household to help bake cookies while the house was being decorated. In fact, Donna had to practically beg Linda to come to Christmas dinner this year. The poor, lonely woman was going to spend the day alone. And Gerard felt her pain. Gerard did not want to be around all these happy people. He didn't want to not be able to sneak up behind Frank with a fake, plastic piece of mistletoe and demand a kiss. He didn't want to not see his boyfriend blush and stand on his tiptoes, kissing Gerard in front of all of his relatives before gently hitting Gerard's arm in embarrassment. Because those things are what made Christmas for Gerard. It wasn't the sweater that his aunt gets him every year or the new set of pencils that he was hoping for this year. It was seeing his boyfriend's face light up when he sees the Christmas lights go on the tree for the first time, or when Frank jumped with anticipation, watching as Gerard slowly takes off the paper of the box Frank had messily wrapped.

Gerard needed Frank. He needed him for Christmas. And Gerard had no hope of that coming true. He knew that he was going to spend this Christmas without his small boyfriend curled up to his side.

Or maybe he wasn't. Maybe Frank was going to be coming home. Maybe Frank was in the Newark international airport right now, dressed in his solider gear, trying to find his bag on the conveyor belt. Maybe he had found a way to get home to surprise his mother and his best friend and his best friends' mom and his boyfriend.

Gerard, however, had no reason to think that this was happening. So he spent the entire Christmas day sitting on living room couch, drawing pictures of superheros, with the pencils that he did receive from his mother. He filled up three pages with fictitious worlds as his mother and Linda cooked Christmas dinner. He was about to start a fourth page when the doorbell rang.

Furrowing his eyebrows together, thinking that his relatives were here too early, Gerard tossed his sketchbook onto the coffee table, standing up. He looked up down at his stained Iron Maiden shirt and shrugged at his appearance, smoothing down his faded black sweatpants as he made his way to the door. Once Gerard opened the door, he stood in the doorway shocked. This couldn't be real. His boyfriend, his Frankie, was not standing on his doorstep in his uniform waiting to be allowed into the house. There was no way this was real. Gerard had to have been seeing things. He thought this until the smaller man launched himself into Gerard's unexpected body, wrapping his arms around the older mans neck. Gerard stumbled backwards slightly but wrapped his arms tightly around Frank's body. He was real.

Frank was real and he was here.

Letting out a muffled sob, Gerard buried his nose in Frank's short hair. “Frankie, you're here. Baby. I— you're here.” He mumbled against Frank's head, not letting go of his boyfriend yet.

“I'm here, Gee. I'm here.” Frank said quietly, resting his cheek on Gerard's shoulder, squeezing his eyes shut to keep back the tears. “I missed you so much, Gee.”

“I missed you too, baby. But you're here. You're fucking here. And it's Christmas. And you're here.” Gerard rambled, eventually pulling back so he could get a good look at his boyfriend. Frank had certainly grown up in the last seven months. He was tanner and Gerard could tell, just by holding him, that he had lost weight but gained muscles. He also looked tired and his eyes were dull. But he was still beautiful. He was still the most beautiful man Gerard had ever seen in his life.

Gerard stared into the face of the man that he loved and he smiled widely, tears leaving streaks down his face. After a few moments of re-memorizing the face that he adored, he attached his lips to the younger man in a desperate kiss. Both of the men's lips reacquainted themselves with each other again. The lips that moved so well together were now, once again, united.

The kiss was short lived though. Donna had come out into the living to see who was at the door and once she saw her eldest son kissing a man in uniform, she yelled Linda's name to get her to come into the living room. She made her way to the couple, tearing Frank away from Gerard, taking him in her arms. Frank laughed lovingly and wrapped his arms around Donna, holding her close. She was after all, like a second mother to him.

When Frank's actual mother came out into the living room to see what all the commotion was about, she gasped, clapping her hand over her mouth as the tears already made their way to her eyes. Frank pulled away from Donna and made his way to his mother, wrapping his arms around her, holding her close to him as she sobbed.

“It's okay, Ma, I'm okay.” He said as the emotions got the best of him, too. He hid his face in his mothers neck as they both cried. After a few moments, they pulled away and Frank smiled at his mother. “Merry Christmas, Ma” He spoke softly kissing her cheek. She hugged him again before letting him go again, stepping away from him.

“Merry Christmas, Frankie.” She whispered and for a few minutes everything seemed okay. Everybody was back where they were supposed to be.

The afternoon and evening went by quickly. After changing into regular clothes Frank was reunited with Mikey and Mikey even got to introduce his new girlfriend, Alicia, to his best friend. Finally. The Way relatives came over and there was laughter and smiles and Gerard and Frank held hands practically the entire time. The family talked about anything and everything, but none of them touched the subject of the war. And when Gerard's Uncle Al asked Frank how it was overseas, and Frank's only response was a shrug, it was dropped. Gerard didn't let it slide, however, that once his uncle mentioned the war, Frank's hand tightened around his and his eyes dropped to the fancy china on the table.

After the extended family left, Linda made her way to guest bedroom of the Way house, which was also a tradition that had started when Frank was 12, and Gerard and Frank made their way to Gerard's bedroom. After they were both settled in the small bed, Gerard wrapped his arms around Frank, kissing his temple.

“How long are you here for, baby?” Gerard asked after they were comfortable.

“I have to leave the day after tomorrow.” Frank spoke quietly, his fingers tracing patterns on Gerard's shirt. “It'll be a long time before I'm back.” He whispered and Gerard just nodded. Gerard knew that it was uncommon that soldiers get to come home while in the middle of a tour. In fact, Gerard still wasn't sure why Frank was allowed to be home now. He was just thankful that it happened.

“I love you, Frankie.” Gerard quietly reminded his lover after a few minutes of silence, rubbing his hands over Frank's side.

Frank looked up at Gerard with sad eyes. “I love you, too, Gee. Forever.” He let his head tilt back down so he was resting on Gerard's chest.

“Baby, are you okay?” Gerard asked gently, not wanting to pry.

“Yeah, I'm fine, Gee. Just tired.” Frank answered routinely, like he had to give that answer all the time. Gerard knew that there was something wrong with Frank. He didn't know exactly what and he wasn't sure if he ever would, but he knew his boyfriend was just tired.

“Frankie, will you talk to me?” He tried again.

“About what, Gee?” Frank looked up at Gerard once more, letting his fingers tangle in the cloth of Gerard's t-shirt.

“About what happened overseas.” Gerard responded softly, holding Frank closer for support. And he felt Frank tense. He saw Frank swallow, his adam's apple jumping with the movements of his throat.

“That's something I hope you never have to know about, Gerard.” Frank said sincerely, looking into Gerard's eyes. And in that moment Gerard understood. Frank was trying to protect Gerard. Frank was trying to protect Gerard like Frank had to protect his country.
So, i wrote this chapter quickly and I'm not sure if it's any good. But I was kind of in a happy mood so I brought him home for a bit.

Um, I was listening to this fantastic version of "The Ghost of You Live":http://nooneseverwhotheyremeanttobe.tumblr.com/post/5444381993/sazziexo-this-has-to-be-one-of-my-favourite#notes while writing this...

Well let me know what you think! :D
Sign up to rate and review this story