Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > The (Not So) True Lives Of The Fabulous Killjoys (And Their Cool Friends)

Chapter 5: The Only Hope For Me Is You

by RebelDevil2019 0 reviews

Jess finally meets Dr Death Defying

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama,Fantasy - Characters: Frank Iero,Gerard Way,Mikey Way,Ray Toro - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2011-05-22 - Updated: 2011-05-23 - 1292 words

0Unrated
“Evening D, how’s it going?” Party Poison leaned forward to pick up the microphone so we could all speak into it when needed.

“Well, I’m holed up out here like a desert snake. None o’ them Drac’s are gonna catch me out here, don’t you worry ‘bout that Poison. Oh, and Show Pony says to tell Kobra to stop being so uptight.” Dr. D’s voice echoed out through the speakers, the static still hovering in the background.

“Ah, you know us too well, D.” Fun Ghoul replied, grinning as Kobra Kid flushed with embarrassment. On the other end of the radio, Dr. D chuckled appreciatively.

“Hah, was he shitting his pants again like that time in Zone 3? I was only off the air for two days, my man,” Kobra was looking thoroughly pissed off now and leaned forward to speak into the mike.

“Never mind that now, D. We kinda need to know how we’re doing on the Drac front. We’re pretty blind out here.”

“Whoa, whoa, whoa, sunshine. I’ve got Pony on it now. Hold on a hot second . . .” D fell silent, leaving behind only the static of the radio. We waited with baited breath to hear what the problem was. If they were coming here now, to where Grace was . . . I waited with the others.

“D? Everything alright?” Even Jet Star sounded worried now. Nothing, then –

“Nope, all’s clear. No Drac’s to be seen for another 3 zones. You should be fine for a coupl’a weeks. Months if you’re lucky.” I released a breath I hadn’t realised I had been holding. At least we were safe for a while. The others also looked relieved at this good news.

“Thanks D. We appreciate it,” said Party Poison into the microphone.

“Not a problem boys. Now, where are these new Killjoys you’ve picked up? I’d like to introduce myself properly,” I instantly became nervous as all the Killjoys turned to look at me. I leaned forward to speak into the microphone.

“Erm yeah, I’m here. Hi,” I felt pretty lame, but D answered nonetheless.

“Hey there, darlin’. Nice o’ you to finally join us out here in the Zones. I trust m’boys are bein’ good t’ya?”

“Well, they kind of saved our lives, so yeah, I’d say they’ve been good to us,” I couldn’t help but notice the Killjoys exchange smirks behind my head. On the other end of the line, D laughed throatily.

“Ha! Well, I can see why that’d put ‘em in your good books. An’ how’s that lil’ sis o’ yours? Grace, isn’ it?”

“Yeah, that’s her. She’s asleep right now or I’d introduce you. Said she had a blast on the way up here, though.”

“Well, I’m glad she’s outta that place now. If there’s one thing that scares me, it’s the thought o’ all them children at the mercy o’ those Drac’s.” Dr. D’s voice became low and serious and I found myself leaning closer to the speakers in order to hear him properly.

“Listen Jess, I want you to know that whilst your with these Killjoys, aint nothin’ that’s gonna stand in their way o’ keepin’ you both safe and sound. These men have given me their word that they will protect you both with everythin’ they got, and then some. Right m’boys?”

“All the way, D. These girls aren’t leaving our sight,” Party Poison seemed to speak for the group as the Killjoys behind me murmured their agreement. I was really touched by the care they were all showing, but was still confused as to why.

“Wow, thank you, that means a lot. But, Dr Death Defying, I don’t understand why we’re so important. I mean, there are hundreds of Killjoys out in the Zones, why do Grace and I need to be protected specifically?”

“That’s a point, D,” the sharp voice behind me made me jump. Trust Kobra Kid to have something to say. “You haven’t actually told us what’s so special about these kids,”

“Ah, you’ll find out soon enough, Kid an’ when you do, you’re gonna be real grateful you looked out for ‘em when you did,” This mystified me as much as it did Kobra Kid. Me and Grace were special? I knew we could easily resist the subscribed BL/ind medicine’s effects, but I thought that was normal considering we were now Killjoys. I couldn’t think of anything about us that would make us worth protecting, but hey, who was I to complain? We had the most bad-ass group of Killjoys Battery City had ever known watching over us and I wasn’t going to refuse their hospitality.

“You’re a Killjoy now, Jess and so is Grace. I’ll throw in a mention for you both tomorrow on the show. I’m hoping you have your names all figured out?”

“Yeah, we do,” I smiled to myself, remembering the countless nights me and Grace had stayed awake, discussing and debating our Killjoy names. We had come to a solid decision little over a
month ago and I was quite pleased with the results. “She’s Violent Melody, and I’m Rebel Devil.”

I heard D’s laughter again through the speakers, “Pretty good, Killjoy, pretty good. I trust I’ll be seein’ you on the waves. You boys stay safe now and try not to get into too much
trouble,”


“We’re Killjoys, D, trouble comes with the job,” Jet Star chuckled into the microphone.

“So it does, Jet, so it does. Still, you keep me posted if anythin’ happens. I’ll be here again, same time same place if you need somethin’. Keep it real, my motor babies. I will see you all in the Zones.” With a burst of static, Dr. Death Defying was gone. Party Poison switched off the radio and turned to face me.

“So, whaddya think?” No matter what I did, I couldn’t control the grin that was spreading across my face like an idiot.

“He called me Killjoy.” The others all grinned at my obvious statement.

“Well that’s good, ‘cause you kinda are one,” Party Poison stated for me plainly, trying to hide his own smile at my obvious glee. I threw my arms around him in a tight hug, ignoring the shocked expression on his face.

“You have no idea how long I’ve wanted to hear that!” I felt Party Poison laugh as he hugged me back.

“Hey, no worries, Rebel.” I pulled away laughing with him, filled with joy as I was called by my new name. He smiled toothily at me as I sat back down on the bench, looking around at my fellow Killjoys. It was as if I had a whole new family, and a really awesome one at that. I hadn’t really thought about my parents too much, knowing that by now they had been brainwashed to forget we had ever existed. They were probably better off, and I knew that me and Grace would be safe and happy here. Korse probably had no idea where we were and was hopefully in his office right now, furious for letting the Killjoys slip through his grasp. He wouldn’t find us for months, Dr D had said, so there was no way he was gonna get the best of us for a long time. I looked over at Grace’s sleeping form and grinned as she smiled in her sleep. Yeah, we would be okay.
At least, while our luck lasted.
Sign up to rate and review this story