Categories > Anime/Manga > Naruto > A Kiba Inuzuka Love Story

Chapter 5 - Can You Keep Up, Kid?

by BlueEyesDontLie 0 reviews

Category: Naruto - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Romance - Characters: Kiba - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2011-06-27 - Updated: 2011-06-29 - 3025 words

0TrainWreck
Your eyes widened as you gazed at the entrance of The Forest of Death. Large tree limbs hung over the steel caged fence which surrounded the area, and from where you were standing you could see no light entering the forest at all. It was dark, scary and dangerous, and the noises of creepy birds and hissing snakes weren’t making it any better. 26 teams of Genin stood with you eyeing off the forest, all having the same expression of fear plastered across their faces.
“Twenty Six teams of genin will be entering this forest, each assigned with a scroll. Half of these teams will be given the Earth scroll, and the other half will be given a Heaven scroll. This means only half of you will pass this exam.”
Students gazed in shock as they realised their chance of passing was very limited. After the instructor gave everyone the big speech and instructions on what was about to happen, all the teams then sparred out and collected consent forms which you were meant to read over. You sat by yourself against a large boulder, reading about what you were actually getting yourself into and what to expect.
The scroll proctors called for teams to collect their scrolls, so you, Kiba, Shino and Hinata gathered to go and collect yours. After collecting your scroll, Shino decided you should sit down somewhere and talk tactics so you were all organised for the exam, so you went and found a tree away from other teams. The large oak stood about 70 metres from where the other teams had gathered, standing alone in an empty paddock. As you were seated underneath the tree discussing tactics, you could see Ino and the rest of her team walking towards you.
“What’s going on here?” she said as she flicked her hair back off of her face. “A fourth member? Well why haven’t you introduced us yet Kiba?”

Kiba rolled his eyes “There’s really no point Ino, she doesn’t talk anyway.”

“Maybe that’s because she is put on a team with someone like you. You’re the one that does all the talking, and it’s mostly about yourself so maybe the poor girl hasn’t had a chance to get a word in.”

“Shut up Ino! She’s had plenty of chances!” Kiba shot back, his anger rising. “You’re one to talk anyway...”

“What? I do not talk about myself!”

“Are you kidding? You are always going on about how you look and-’’

“Guys,” Shikamaru groaned. “All this arguing is giving me a headache. Can you all shut up?”
Kiba and Ino both glared at each other and shut up. “Anyway,” Shikamaru continued. “So who is the new girl.”

“The new kid is Kansura,” Answered Kiba. “She’s from the earth village. She was only assigned to our squad two days ago, and the kid doesn’t talk so there isn’t much we could tell you about her.”

“Kansura...” mumbled Shikamaru. “That name sounds familiar; didn’t you used to attend the academy?”

You nodded. You then glanced at Ino who was busy fixing her hair and looking at her nails. You tried not to laugh as you realised how fixated she was with herself. “The blonde one there,” you started, nodding at Ino. “She’s a bit superficial to be a ninja, isn’t she?”

Ino’s jaw dropped as she glared at you with a look that could kill. “What!” She yelled, clenching her fists.

“You heard me, you shouldn’t be worrying about what you look like. You should be spending this time with your team and working out what your plan is once you get into this place.”

“Well I would be, but we decided to waste our time to come over here and talk to you instead!” Ino then grabbed Shikamaru and Choji and stormed off.
“Gee, you’ve got a real talent with making friends, don’t you kid.” Said Kiba as he continued to mark out a map. “Do you seriously want everyone to hate you?”You just shrugged. You didn’t care if no one liked you; you weren’t here to make friends. You were here because you had to be, because your parents made you.
After working out tactics and plans, each team were assigned to one of the 44 entry gates around the forest and had to wait there until their assigned Jonin allowed them through the gate. Kiba, Shino, Hinata and you stood waiting anxiously at the entrance. An eerie silence filled the air, as a wind picked up and blew leaf litter across your feet. You looked up and stared deep into the forest. You could see the outlining of bug’s and creatures creeping over logs and blending into the trees, but you just shrugged that kind of stuff off; bugs and reptiles didn’t scare you. You are a bit of a tomboy, and the only thing that scared you was letting this team down. Just do my best, that’s all I can do.
The whistle blew. In a matter of seconds, you and the rest of squad 8 were running into the bushes, into the darkness, into what might be the last place you’ll ever see. Kiba was first, followed by you, then Shino, and then Hinata at the end. Gee, Kiba is fast you thought to yourself as you increased your pace to keep up with him. The plan was to keep going until Kiba could smell no one around, then discuss what direction you would head in from there.
“Ok guys, Here will do” said Kiba as he came to a stop. Shino laid out the map and we all studied it carefully.
“Ok, so we are here. And according to the map, the tower is 10 kilometres in that direction.” Shino lifted his hand and pointed north. “I suggest we stay in the same formation we were just in, that way Kiba can smell any oncoming attackers, Kansura can back Kiba up, I can direct Hinata orders and Hinata can follow them easily and react. Is that ok with everyone?”

We all nodded to Shino’s orders. But of course, Kiba had something to say like he always did. “Can you keep up with that, new kid?” he smirked. Kiba took a step forward and you saw that there was a wire just beneath his foot. A trip wire?
“Kiba, St-”and before you knew it he had triggered the wire. You heard some rustling in the trees above you and you directed your arm straight above your head and using your telekinesis, you stopped the bunch of Kunai knives which were hurling from the trees above you. Kiba, Shino and Hinata watched in shock as a bunch of 5 Kunai hovered above their heads. You stopped them just in time, and returned Kiba the smirk as if to say I just saved your arse.
“Looks like you’re the one that can’t keep up,” You mumbled as you directed the knives away from the three. Kiba was speechless. A look of disbelief crossed his face .You guessed that he was a little embarrassed, because he didn’t say anything and just stood there trying to make out what just happened.
“Looks like someone was here before us,” said Shino, as he checked out the trip wires. “They must have been moving pretty fast to set these up and then move off again.” Hinata checked out the wires along with Shino, whilst Kiba just stood there watching them uncomfortably. He narrowed his eyes to the side before growling “Come on, let’s go.”
You all gathered into your positions and headed deep into the forest. It wasn’t until 1 and a half hours later you came across your next obstacle. You were making good time, and because Kiba was in front meant that you were getting to your destination much quicker than you imagined. But what made you stop that afternoon made your stomach drop. It was about 4 O’clock in the afternoon, and the forest seemed to be getting darker and darker. You heard a scream, one that sounded familiar but you just couldn’t quite pick it. It was full of fear, full of dread. The sound rang in your ears until you made yourself stop. “Whoa, did you hear that?” you said as you landed on a tree branch. Shino almost bumped into you because you stopped so suddenly, but he managed to avoid the collision.
“Hear what?” Shino asked.
“That noise... it sounded like a scream,”
“Well what do you know,” said Kiba as he folded his arms. “She speaks.”
“This isn’t funny Kiba, it sounded serious” you replied, feeling your stomach knot up in nerves again. You tried listening for another cry but the forest fell silent.
“It probably was. This forest is full of other genin trying to kill each other you know.” Kiba said. “Now are you done? We’re falling behind.”
“No, it sounded like someone we know... and it sounded bad.”
“I-I heard it t-to,” said Hinata from the back of the line. She twiddled her fingers nervously. “It sounded l-like Sakura.”
“Well what are we going to do?” you asked your team. You had a sudden urge to go help out. You didn’t know what the situation was but there was something inside of you screaming to help no matter what the conditions were.
“We keep going,” replied Kiba. “We’ve wasted enough time here already.”
“But what about Sakura? Are you just going to leave her like that?” you said, refusing to just ignore it.
“Listen Kansura, there probably isn’t even a problem. Knowing Sakura, she is most likely screaming at a bug or something so there is no need to go waste our time checking it out.”
“Kiba, that scream didn’t sound like it was over some bug. If you heard what I heard, you’d want to go check it out too. Come on, you’ve grown up with these people Kiba...they are all leaf village ninja, if something happened to them I know you’d be upset. Now come on, let’s go and see if they’re ok.” You didn’t give any of them a chance to reply. You took off into the direction of the scream and noticed a short time later that they were following you. Just hang in there guys, help is on its way.

You were close. You could hear a lot of noise; yelling, the sounds of tree branches falling, the sound of panic. “Kansura slow down,” yelled Kiba from behind you. “You’re going to wear yourself out.”
“No, we have to get to them” you replied. You continued to jump from tree to tree, searching franticly for the team that was in distress. You were so busy concentrating on the person in trouble that you forgot to keep an eye open for traps and other ninja. As you landed on anther tree branch, you felt yourself trip on something. You fell to the ground, scraping your knee. Shit! I just triggered another trap!
“Kansura!” called Kiba from behind you. With one massive burst of speed, he leaped onto the tree branch which you had fallen on. Kunai with paper bombs attached to them started to fall from a tree to your right. Kiba darted toward you and quickly picked you up, dodging the Kunai just in time. “Everybody get down!” he yelled, diving to the ground.
As the kunai hit the ground, a massive explosion filled the area. Trees fell around you, hitting the ground with such great force that it shook the whole forest. One by one trees fell like dominoes, and a massive roar filled the area. Smoke from the explosion drifted into the air, and you all coughed as you accidently inhaled it into your lungs. Once the thick, black fog had cleared, you noticed Kiba lying on top of you. He shielded me from the blast... you thought as he slowly got up and sat beside you. “Are you alright?” he asked immediately, scanning his eyes over you to see if you had any wounds.
“I’m... I’m fine,” you slowly replied. Kiba had just saved your life. If he hadn’t thought quickly like he did, you would have been the dart board for those kunai’s. You felt so stupid, usually you were always cautious of what you were doing, and you were always carful about where you landed and what was around you. That’s why you felt so stupid, stupid for letting yourself get so carried away and putting your team mate’s lives at risk by triggering some stupid trap.
You awakened from your state of anger when Kiba started coughing violently. He must have inhaled too much smoke, why did I have to be so stupid!
You sat him up so he was sitting upright and grabbed a bottle of water from your pack. “Here, drink this,” you said as you offered him your bottle. His coughing was starting to get worse, making you nervous. Your hands were shaking as you handed him the bottle and watched him down the water which was inside. His coughing started to ease, and so did your nerves when you realised he was starting to get better. Shino and Hinata came as quick as they could to Kiba’s side. “Kiba, are you ok?” said Shino calmly, making sure Kiba could hear him.
“Yeah, just a little smoke, that’s all...” he managed to say in between small, jagged coughs.
Watching Kiba cough like that made you stomach turn. A wave of guilt washed over you, almost bringing tears to your eyes.
“Listen. Kiba, Guys... I’m really sorry about what just happened. I should have been more careful about where I was going... I guess I was in such a rush to help Sakura that I forgot all about traps, and put every single one of you in danger...”

“It’s ok Kansura, just forget about it. But for now, I think we should rest. We can’t risk any more of these accidents if we go searching for Sakura, I’m sure she will be fine.” Shino stood up and looked around at all the fallen trees. “After all, she has Naruto and Saskue there to help. If she isn’t at the tower before we arrive, then we will inform the proctors to go looking for them.”
You nodded unwillingly, but inside you knew that was the best thing to do. You couldn’t risk making any more mistakes and putting your team in danger like that again. You glanced over at Kiba who was still slightly coughing from his smoke inhalation. “And Kiba...” you managed to say. “Thank you for saving me back there.”

“Yeah, I guess you can say we’re even now.” He forced a smirk before starting to cough again. You wanted to smile, but you still felt too bad to even force a grin onto your face. You narrowed your eyes to the side before heading down to a nearby creek with Hinata to re fill your water bottles.

________________________________________________________________________________________________


“You Like this one, don’t you.”

“What?”

“Kansura, you like her. I can tell.” Shino folded his arms and sat down against the tree next to Kiba."

“I do not!” Kiba shot back. “What makes you think that?”

“I was watching you two back at the class room, before the first stage of the Chunin exam. When she was about to walk over to her friends, you stopped her. You had that protective look in your eye, the one you get when you really care about someone and don’t want them getting hurt.”

Kiba was all chocked up. He re positioned himself and folded his arms, slightly annoyed. “Get real Shino, I just didn’t want her going near any of them sand ninja. That’s all it was.”

“And what about that little stunt you pulled then? Care to explain?” Shino replied, eager to here Kiba’s response. “If you really hated her like you make it out to be, you wouldn’t have put your life on the line to save her just now.”

Kiba swallowed and narrowed his eyes to the ground. “Ok, so maybe I did get a little worried about her. But that’s just how I get for my team mates, I’ll always protect them. Also, if you don’t remember, Ancho said at the beginning of the exam that if one team mates dies or gets injured and is unable to go on, the whole team is disqualified. “ Kiba crossed his arms as he tried his hardest to explain to Shino what he was thinking. “And maybe she is changing; I can tell her attitude towards this whole thing is different from when she first joined our team.”

“You may think what you want Kiba, but let me tell you one thing. Relationships with team members aren’t really a good idea. If it doesn’t work out it puts a massive strain on the way the team communicates and it develops a slightly unwelcomed awkwardness.”

“But Shino I don’t like her, seriously dude get that idea out of your head.”

“Just remember those words Kiba.” With that Shino stood up and walked down to the creek to check on you and Hinata.
Ok, I’ll admit it. Maybe I do think she is a pretty cool chick. She is strong, and she stands up to me unlike other girls back at the village that pretty much swarm over me. But I don’t know if that’s a good thing; sometimes her always talking back to me gets annoying but for some reason, it’s kind of a turn on. I do appreciate the way she is changing just to make us happy. Come on Kiba, focus. You can’t be thinking about girls right now, keep your mind on the exam.
Sign up to rate and review this story