Categories > Original > Humor > A Zacky Movie

Hey Dad Soup and Post Cards

by Brideofbillie 0 reviews

Just a really sweet/sad chapter.

Category: Humor - Rating: G - Genres: Humor, Parody - Published: 2006-06-11 - Updated: 2006-06-11 - 846 words

0Unrated
A can of alphabet soup lands on the hood of the car.

Zacky:
Alphabet soup coming up!


Zacky rolls down the window and tries to grab the can. Bigfoot hears and turns around.

Max:
Uh, duh, dad...

Bigfoot starts coming towards the car. Zacky gets the can, but can't get it through the crack he left.

Max:
Dad!

Bigfoot runs toward the car.

Max:
Stop playing around! He's coming!

Max grabs his father's hand and turns it so the can gets through. Bigfoot crashes into the side of the car and is sent sprawling along with a lot of the equipment he dragged along. He lands and a pair of headphones lands on his head, which is playing "Staying Alive". Bigfoot is startled at first, then begins to enjoy it. Cut to the inside of the car where Zacky has just taken the cigarette lighter out of the dashboard. He balances the can of soup over the lighter.

Zacky:
Well, it's nice to know this thing's good for something!

While they wait for the soup to heat up, they sit. Bigfoot does the hustle in the background. Max and Zacky catch each other looking at the other and quickly look away. Zacky then smiles and starts to chuckle.

Max:
What's so funny?

Zacky:
"Hi Dad" Soup!

Max:
Huh?

Zacky:
Don't tell me you don't remember "Hi Dad" Soup.

Max just looks blank.

Zacky:
Oh, come on! Sure you do! You used to spell things out using the letters, like, uh, "Hi Dad" or "Maxie" or...

Max:
..."Ambidextrous"...

Zacky:
Yeah, that's...Nah, little words, like...

Max:
"Hasta la vista"?

Zacky:
Like "Bye bye"!

Max:
...or "I pledge allegiance"...

Zacky:
...or "I love you"...

Both Max and Zacky suddenly look sad.

Max:
Is it soup yet?

Zacky:
Oh, I almost forgot!

Zacky uses his teeth to create two holes in the top of the can.

Max:
Woah! Where'd you learn to do that?

Zacky:
Your granddad taught me that when we went to Yosemite.

Max:
You two did a lot together, huh?

Zacky:
Yup.

Now Zacky looks sad. Suddenly the talk simultaneously.

Zacky:
Max, you and I have to...

Max:
Dad, listen I have a...

Zacky:
How's the soup?

Max drinks and leaves a soup mustache on his upper lip.

Max:
Not bad.

Max sees his dad grinning.
Max:
What?


Seeing Max with a mustache reminds Zacky of what Max was like as a little boy. He just grins.

Zacky:
Nothing.

Bigfoot climbs on top of the car and settles down to sleep.

Zacky:
Welp, might as well get some shut eye. I don't think we're going anywhere tonight.

Zacky gets comfortable. Max looks lovingly at his dad, then down at the remnants of the soup in his cup. He fiddles with something at the bottom. Max then taps his father and hands him the cup. Zacky looks at the bottom of the cup to see the words "Hi Dad" spelled out. Zacky gets choked up and looks over at Max, who is settling down to sleep.

Zacky:
(whispering) Hi, Maxie.

Scene fades to later that night. Both Bigfoot and Zacky are snoring. Max can't sleep because of the noise. So, he finds a postcard and begins to write.

Max:
(writing) Dear Roxanne, Couldn't sleep, so I thought I'd drop you a line. Dad and I are having a great time. We're only days away from L.A. and I can hardly wait for the big concert.
Max stops writing and looks sad. Then looks over at Zacky.
Zacky:
(in his sleep) More Hi Dad Soup, please.

Max gets a half smile on his face looking at his dad, then decides to re-write the postcard.

Max:
(writing) Dear Roxanne, Sorry I lied, but I'm not really going to the Powerline concert. You may never want to see me again...

He stops when he realizes that won't work either.

Max:
Oh, man! I'm dead no matter what I do!

Max stomps his foot on the dashboard. The glove compartment pops open and the map unfolds into his lap. He follow the route on it to Lake Destiny and then looks down to L.A. A pencil rolls out of the glove compartment and conveniently stops, pointing from the route on the map directly to L.A. Max picks up the pencil then starts erasing. He then draws a new route to L.A. The pencil tip breaks just before he finishes. Zacky yawns. Max breaks out in a cold sweat, picks up the pencil tip and finishes the drawing, puts the map back in the glove compartment and sits back nervously as Zacky seems to awaken.

Zacky:
How many cups of sugar does it take to get to the moon?

Max:
Uh, three and a half?

Zacky goes back to sleep. Max sighs, looks at the postcard and then tears it up. He opens the car window and throws the pieces outside into the wind. The pieces are carried toward the camera. One piece gets caught in a branch close up, with the words, "I lied" written on it.
Sign up to rate and review this story