Categories > Cartoons > Avatar: The Last Airbender > Roses of the Valley

Chapter Twelve: Another Perspective

by Giroro5X 0 reviews

The Demon's mask has hidden his reactions and heart, his thoughts and feelings finally revealed.

Category: Avatar: The Last Airbender - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Romance - Characters: Other - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2006-06-28 - Updated: 2006-06-28 - 4777 words

0Unrated


To claim he paid no notice to her beauty as he stood before her on the river would be a lie; Jung had noticed it upon first glance. Yet such was irrelevant; his business was with the earth kingdom army, specifically Dak-Ho.

Her debate with him upon the riverboat was something new for him. Where most witnesses attempted to flee or perhaps recruit him, she engaged him in discussion. This held no effect on him, for his ideology and beliefs remained unchanged, uncontested.

Yet it did cause him to pay particular notice to her. As he made his way back to the cave, he considered this.

He could tell there was a nervous air about her as she entered the cave the first time. Unsure about her intentions, as well as how she had come to find him, he regarded her with suspicion.

When she poured the first cup of tea, this suspicion was replaced with curiosity. Wen Lan had done something that no other had managed on the battlefield.

She had intimidated him.

He towered over most, soldiers dropping their weapons at the mere sight of him. Wanted posters were scattered about the valley to inspire wariness of him; men told wild stories of the Demon, who could devastate an entire battlefield within moments of setting foot upon it. It was due to this simple fact that no one, besides old pain Min, would seek him out, much less engage him in conversation.

Each day, she returned with another kettle of tea. In time, he found she had come to accomplish something that only a small old woman had managed.

She had impressed him.

Though not talkative, Jung was competent in rhetoric. For every riddle she offered, for every inquiry she gave, he was able to respond with full understanding and confidence.

Initially, she had been the one to begin the discussions. In time, he became more comfortable with her presence and took on the role of initiation. What had started as idle banter grew into discussions of the two nation's cultures, their legends and holidays.

An unprecedented comfort filled the cave to its walls.

He understood that in drinking the tea, a small section of his face would be revealed. It was for this reason that Jung faced away from her, towards the wall.

It was for this reason that he found himself enjoying a particular aspect of their parting.

He would stand upon the edge of the rock shelf, at first inspecting to make sure no others had followed her up the mountain. He would then focus his attention on her, politely nodding his head slowly. She would follow this up with the feature of her return to the village he enjoyed most.

She smiled and returned the nod, just before disappearing behind a patch of rocks.

After she had spent a few days visiting, he found himself recalling and enjoying her smile, admiring it. Had he removed his mask, a faint blush would be visible on his face upon realizing she had briefly occupied his thoughts.

In time, her daily visits to the cave had changed from anticipated to desired. Beneath his mask, a soft smile formed each time he heard her footsteps along the trail.

It is possible that he was completely blind to this change when it first occurred, just as possible that he had recognized it immediately. Despite either scenario, it was for this reason that he stood with a nervous tension before her as rain clouds loomed above them.

He gave her his name; something he had not shared for many years.

She gave him her hat; something to keep him dry and safe.

Jung watched as her distant figure stood in the valley. Watched as she lifted her hands and rose to face the rain.

Staring silently to the sky, he felt the drops as they reached the edge of his mask, trailing down his neck.

The next day he sat silently, curious as to what was keeping Wen Lan.

At first he felt a nervous tension, a distant disappointment that she had chosen to remain in the village; to avoid him.

This thought was quickly replaced by anger, as his mind introduced the possibility that someone had done her some harm or prevented her from reaching the cave.

Both were trumped entirely by worry as to whether or not she was alright.

He placed the hat over his head, barreling quickly down the mountain path as he kept alert; hoping that he would see her before he reached the village; that she was alright and merely running late.

Something caught his eye as he passed it, bringing him to a sudden halt. Turning, he approached it slowly. Studying it, he felt it gently with the tip of his finger.

Carefully, he picked the orchid before continuing quickly to the village.

As he stood in the tea house, a silence flooded the serving area.

Min told him that she had yet to arrive. This did nothing to ease his worry.

Sitting against the wall, he placed the hat down before him, hiding the orchid behind his ankle as he waited patiently.

To those watching, the Demon simply looked towards Wen Lan as she hurried in. The mask had done well to hide the look of relief that filled him.

It was the first time she had been so close to him while facing forward. Warmth filled his face as he offered her the orchid, feeling her skin touch briefly against his as she accepted it.

The two walked back to the cave as the sun set, Jung scolding himself silently for allowing himself to become worried over her status.

As she walked away into the night, he considered quietly why he had been so motivated to ensure her safety. Why he had felt compelled to be near her.

The truth of the matter brushed lightly against his thoughts, a deep shade of red hidden beneath the mask.

As they rushed towards the battle, his thoughts had turned to how he could ensure her safety while turning away both sides. Resigning to the understanding that she could defend herself, he chose to put off the thoughts until the situation had become an issue.

He caught her quiet whisper, heard her as she explained that she needed him to come back.

He wanted to tell her the same. To tell her he wanted her to be safe. Yet the Demon, who stood confidently in battle and could defeat any opponent who stood in his path, found he was unable to.

Kano had the fortune of dishonor; of being able to rely on the help of his subordinates to delay Jung long enough that his attack would be successful.

Feeling the blade run over his chest, he understood that he had been cut deep. An intense shot of pain ran through him as it stabbed into his side. The knife cutting against his arm was negligible in comparison, yet still caused him to wince.

The flames washed over him, a combination of dodging and skillful use of the shields allowing him to remain on the mortal coil awhile longer.

As he emerged from the flames, he saw her gripping his throat as the admiral began moving his hands.

Rage ran through him as he rushed, thrusting his arm before her stomach, the desire to protect her pushing him forward.

He felt her hands against him as she supported him, feeling them fade away as the blood drained from his body.

Before they had set him down in the temple he had slipped into unconsciousness, succumbing to the pain and blood loss.

His eyes opened slowly, the ceiling revealing that he was indoors. An hour later, he heard her voice beside him.

He heard every word, felt each of them as if they had touched upon his heart directly. Quietly and painfully, he raised his hand up.

Feeling her take it, he allowed something that he had refused long ago.

He gave up.

He abandoned his efforts to deny that which his heart had quietly accepted as truth.

He gave up his stubborn notion that though her smile was endearing, it had not charmed him.

He gave up his resignation to needing no one.

He accepted quietly that he desired her safety, company and smile.

As she held his hand, he slowly felt exhaustion overcome him, embracing sleep.




"Jung? I brought you some water," she stepped into the room with a pail, smiling as she saw him sitting against the far wall.

"Thank you," he nodded slowly.

"You were able to move yourself?" Placing the pail down near him, she inspected his bandages to ensure that he hadn't opened any wounds in doing so.

"I'm a fast healer." It was not a skill received through strenuous training, nor something bestowed upon him. It was a natural blessing; one he was entirely grateful for.

"I see," she smiled as she began removing the bandages on his arm, drawing a cloth from the pail to wash it.

The mask turned towards her, watching as she washed the wound carefully.

Wen Lan glanced up, blushing slightly as she smiled and looked back to the wound.

"I do not think the arm wound was deep enough to scar," she observed quietly.

"That's good," he noted as his eyes remained on her. The mask hid the redness in his cheeks as he witnessed her smile.

She folded the old bandages carefully, taking some new ones from beside him before redressing the wound. Leaning over, she grasped the pail of water, setting it down in front of him before offering the ladle.

Taking it gently, he looked down towards the pail as he dipped the ladle in, drawing up a bit of water. He froze, his mask still facing towards it.

"Hmm?" she watched him carefully, fearing something had wrong. She glanced over the wounds quickly to inspect before realizing the problem. "Ah," she brought her hand to her mouth, embarrassed that she had not caught on earlier. "I apologize, I forgot," she bowed her head, turning her body away so that he may drink without her watching.

He wanted to tell her it was alright, that she didn't have to reposition herself. By the time he had realized this, the beautiful noble had already faced away.

"Thank you," he tilted the mask back with his other hand, drinking from the ladle slowly.

"Is it alright?" Wen Lan looked towards the wall as she asked, listening to him sip.

"Delicious," he answered as he took another long sip. "Thank you for bringing it,"

"It was my pleasure; I thought you might be thirsty."

"Yes." He continued sipping, setting the ladle down when he had had enough. After a pause, he brought his mask back down over his chin. "Is my presence a disturbance to the priests?"

"They assured me it is not," she answered as she turned back towards him, sitting politely with her hands folded in front of her. "Apparently general Seung trained here when he was younger; they were more than willing to meet his request."

"I will thank him later."

"Yes," she smiled softly, her expression becoming curious as she heard a distant sound. "Jung? Did you hear that?"

"Yes," the mask looked up towards the wall as he focused, listening for anything else.

The sound had come from the temple courtyard, shouting followed by oncoming footsteps.

Wen Lan stood slowly, her eyes narrowing. "It's coming closer." Her hands tensed as she readied them, taking a step in front of Jung. She had committed herself to protecting him as he healed from the battle with Kano.

A priest ran past the doorway frantically, screaming as he disappeared from view.

"Quit runnin' and tell me where my lady is!" Gang bellowed as he ran past the doorway.

"Gang, Gang! Leave him be; the man's a priest!" Chin-Hwa scolded as he followed after quickly, passing the door.

"Yeah, well he should've told us where she was from the beginning!" Xiu called after the old noble as she stopped at the doorway, her hands on her hips.

"Xiu?" Wen Lan's eyebrow rose slightly.

"Hmm?" Xiu turned towards her lady, her eyes going wide as a smile came over her. "My lady!" She ran towards her, hugging her tight. She was overcome with gratitude and relief that Wen Lan had come back from the battle unharmed.

"What are you all doing here?" she smiled as she reciprocated the hug, overjoyed with her presence.

"Gang told us you were here; we decided to come and make sure you're alright," she grinned slightly, her attention turning towards the Demon.

"Ah," Wen Lan took a step back, turning to face between Jung and Xiu. "This is my good friend, Xiu. Xiu, you remember..."

"The Demon," Xiu bowed deeply towards him. "Thank you for saving the others and I on the river."

He nodded his head slowly, returning the gratitude. "Thank you for the hat."

Xiu lifted a hand to indicate it was no problem, flattered. "It was my pleasure, really! Thank you for complimenting it!"

"Wen Lan!" a voice yelled from the hallway.

"Hmm?" She looked towards the doorway, turning her attention back towards Xiu. "Auntie Min is here?"

"Yup, insisted on coming along."

"Wen Lan, where are you?!" the small old woman continued yelling as she came to the door, looking in. "There you are! Wen Lan, this place is terrible!"

"Auntie Min," Wen Lan's eyes went wide, bringing a finger to her mouth to suggest quiet. "This is a temple; you should not be so harsh!"

"Yeah, well it's terrible! They offered me some tea, it tasted like mud water! You! What're you doin' all bandaged up, I thought you never get hurt!" she nodded her head quickly towards the Demon.

"Hello, Min." The mask faced towards her without expression.

"Yeah, well get better soon, otherwise she's just gonna keep frettin' over you and not come back to Bai-Jing!" Min motioned her head towards Wen Lan.

"Auntie Min!" the young noble blushed as she looked towards the old woman with a mix of shock and embarrassment.

Xiu placed her hands on her hips, grinning as she noticed her lady's cheeks.

"C'mon, we've got work to do!" Min took Wen Lan's hand, practically dragging her out of the room.

"What? Where are we going?" Wen Lan looked back and forth between the old woman and Jung.

"We're gonna show them how tea is made; I'm not gonna have them insultin' it while I'm here!" Defiantly, the old woman continued towards the door with Wen Lan in tow.

"I will come back soon, I promise!" she assured him as she disappeared into the hallway.

Jung sat silently, watching as the old pain dragged Wen Lan out of the room.

Xiu stared at the door, her hands still on her hips as she looked back to the Demon.

"Does she always get like that over tea?"

"No," he answered calmly.

"So this is a special case?"

"No," he corrected. "She gets like that over everything, not just tea."

"Heh," Xiu smiled as she took a seat across from the Demon, not intimidated in the slightest.

He had saved her lady twice now; she would gladly trust him, no matter how many soldiers thought otherwise.




Xiu had insisted that they visit the Demon's cave in order to bring him any possession that could perhaps make him more comfortable. She did this simply because she understood that it would cause Wen Lan to smile, and aid her in her mission to see to the Demon's recovery.

Understanding Min guided them there willingly, Jung took no offense to their efforts.

He had few possessions to be recovered, a few scrolls and the cup from which he typically drank his tea now stacked beside him as he sat against the wall.

"I have heard many stories about you," Chin-Hwa sat across from him, his manner reserved and pensive.

"Wen Lan has told me of you," Jung answered.

"She has told me of you as well," the old noble took a sip from a cup of tea, setting it down.

There was a silent pause between the two, both parties having nothing to say. Chin-Hwa broke it as he lifted his cup again.

"I owe you thanks," he admit.

"How so?"

"You fight for peace, yes?" The old noble sipped from the cup.

"Yes."

"Where you fight with your body, I fight with words. Other nobles of Bai-Jing have voiced their desire to involve themselves in the war," he explained. "Over the years, I have been fortunate enough to discourage them through rhetoric."

"Good," he answered lowly.

"Yes. But it is not always the case that rhetoric will succeed. Wen Lan relayed to me a point that you made; one that I agree with strongly. There will always be a minority, no matter how small, that seeks combat over peace." There was a hint of sadness in his tone as he recited the notion.

"Yes," Jung nodded slightly in agreement.

"I have no training in weapons; no skills in bending. I am powerless against those who have no desire for words or peace," he said quietly as he set the cup back down. "You, however...You have made it your purpose, finding them; turning them away from combat."

"I regret it," he interrupted.

"Hmm?" Chin-Hwa looked up at the Hannya mask before him, surprised by the words.

"Each battle I fight, I understand that I face that minority. Yet I also understand that each side has within it soldiers who would have chosen peace; who can be reasoned with."

"Hmm," Chin-Hwa nodded, smiling softly. "It is my hope, that through the efforts of myself and Wen Lan, that in time we will be able to turn them away from battle long before they approach it."

"And I shall continue to stand against those that refuse reason."

"Something that I cannot do. And yet because of you, this dream of peace will prove possible. It is for that reason that I thank you," he looked towards the Demon with confidence.

"It is for your efforts that I thank you," Jung nodded.

"To peace," the old noble lifted his cup before the Demon, smiling warmly.

"To peace," Jung lifted his cup, nodding slowly yet again.

The old man sipped, Jung setting the cup down as both smiled with silent gratitude for the other.




Gang laughed boisterously, nearly dropping the small saucer.

"What're you doing, you old drunk?" Xiu said flatly as she watched from the doorway, holding the pipa she had been using to torture Chin-Hwa's ears a few moments prior.

"I'm facin' off against the Demon, drinkin' contest!" he drunkenly waved at Xiu as he waved his hand towards Jung, who sat across from him with a small container of sake between them.

Xiu stepped forward slowly, analyzing the scene as she sighed.

"He's terrible; I'm destroyin' 'im! There'll be no comin' back from this!" he waved his hand towards the Demon again, having a hard time keeping his balance.

The servant looked towards the Demon, then towards his saucer. "That's your first one, isn't it?"

"I don't drink," the mask glanced towards her as he responded.

Sighing, she narrowed her eyes. "Hey, old man. Wen Lan says she lost her favorite hair comb at the bottom of the bathhouse. Go find it for her."

"My lady is in trouble?" he blinked drunkenly before looking towards the Demon. "My lady is in trouble; I've gotta go help my lady," he bowed his head, dropping the saucer as he stood up and stumbled his way out of the room. "I'm comin', lady Wen Lan's hair comb!"

"Are you sure that is wise?" Jung asked as she set the saucers and container of rice wine aside.

"Sobers him up every time, they'll just find him sleeping in the bath house tomorrow," she smirked. "Sorry if he was botherin' you."

"No, it was interesting to finally meet him."

"Lady Wen Lan told you about him, eh?"

"Yes," he nodded slowly.

"He's got a good heart, he's just a little dumb sometimes, and likes to drink when the day's over." She sat down, taking her pipa again as she played lightly with a few strings.

"Chin-Hwa told me about that," he nodded his head towards the pipa.

She grinned, flicking a finger against one of the strings. "Old man deserved it."

"Can you play it?"

"Nah, but I am actually picking a little bit of it up. It's a lot harder than I figured it'd be in reality," she examined it as she tried to figure out a chord, looking back up towards him. "Have you ever played one?"

"When I was young, yes."

"Oh wow, really?" she blinked, the notion of the Demon playing a pipa not something she had ever imagined. "Do you think you still can?"

"I doubt it."

"Here, try," she extended it towards him, smiling. She hadn't anticipated having any common grounds with the Demon, enjoying the opportunity to interact with him.

Jung took it slowly, studying it before positioning it carefully as he tried to recall the basics. Gradually and crudely, he began playing.

She watched his fingers, the sound symphonic in comparison to that which she had been subjecting the old man to.

Within a few minutes, he had smoothed out the basics and had managed to enter the rhythm of the piece, playing it slowly as he tried to recall the notes. He stopped suddenly, offering the pipa back to her.

"I can't remember the rest."

"It was still great!" she complimented as she applauded softly. "I don't think even lady Wen Lan can play the pipa; I'm impressed!"

"Thank you," he nodded as he accepted the compliment.

"Lady Wen Lan told me all about you," she changed topics, her face becoming a bit more serious.

The mask stared towards her silently.

"...Thanks," Xiu smiled softly. "For saving her. Twice. I'm grateful," she bowed as she kneeled.

"I am glad to have done so," he answered.

Smiling, she looked back up towards him. "Alright, I should get some sleep, it's late."

"Sleep well."

Xiu stood, taking the pipa as she turned. She stopped, glancing down at it before looking towards the Demon.

"Hey," she started. "Would you mind holding onto this?"

The mask looked up towards her curiously.

"Well, you know how to play it. And if I have it in front of me, I'm just gonna keep practicing with it. If I do that, it's not as much fun to play for the old man," she grinned as she offered it to him.

"...Hmm," the mask turned towards the pipa, studying it.

"Think of it as a trade for the hat," she smiled softly.

He looked back up towards her, nodding after a pause. He took it gently, sitting back against the wall as it rest in his lap.

"Thanks," the bowed again, walking towards the door.

"Sleep well," he offered again as she stepped into the hallway.

Turning, Xiu bowed towards him once more. "You too." With that, she made her way down the hallway.

He sat against the wall, studying the pipa before taking it in his hands again. Slowly he began playing, the room filling with a slow and simple song.




The two sat silently across from one another, Min's arms folded as she looked forward sternly.

"Get better," she muttered.

"Yes," he answered.

"Get better sooner, I mean. If I'm out here makin' sure you're alright, I'm losin' business back home."

"I apologize."

"Don't apologize," she grunted as she looked to the side. "Just get better. Last thing I need is t'be worried about you."

He stared towards her, pausing before nodding.

"Good. And keep drinkin' that tea I made you, you'll heal faster."

"Yes," he nodded. Another pause filled the room.

"Don't ever do it again," she muttered.

Jung looked towards her, unsure as to what she was referencing.

"Don't ever go and get yourself almost killed again, hear me?" she looked towards him, her eyes narrow.

Silently, he stared.

"Idiot," she practically spit it, her voice almost a whisper. "Worrying me sick."

"I apologize," he responded after another pause, understanding her complaint.

"Yeah, well, just don't do it again."

"I will try to avoid it."

"That's all I can ask for, isn't it?" She sighed as she looked towards him.

He nodded.

"I packed my old Pai Sho board. Old man Chin said Wen Lan's pretty good, almost beat him once. How're you at it?"

"I've never played."

"What?" her eyebrow rose. "Never played Pai Sho?!"

"Never."

The old woman sighed. "I bring you tea; I send a beautiful girl to your doorstep, I come out to make sure you're getting proper tea while you're out here; and now I have to teach you how to play Pai Sho!?"

"I don't nee..."

"You need to know how to play Pai Sho!" she pointed at him accusingly as she interrupted. "Only savages don't know how to play Pai Sho!"

Before he could make the argument that most people would regard him as such, Min had made her way to the door.

"Doesn't know how to play Pai Sho! I can't believe it!" she continued complaining as she made her way to the hallway, a priest looking at her confusedly as he passed.

He stared after her, leaning his back up against the wall again, finding himself grateful for Min's concern as well as the old pain herself.




"No, you are actually permitted to make that move. Auntie Min insists it is not legal, yet it is." Wen Lan pointed towards the piece, the Pai Sho board sitting between them.

"Why does she insist it's illegal?" the mask looked up towards her.

"It is the move that lord Chin-Hwa always used to defeat her, back when they played," she smiled softly.

"Ah," he smiled beneath the mask, now understanding why Min had spent so much time telling him otherwise.

She leaned over, looking towards the empty pail of water. "Ah, please wait for me; I will get us some more water." Standing, she took it gently before making her way towards the door.

"Thank you."

She smiled at the door, nodding towards him before disappearing behind it. She greeted a priest in passing, making her way towards the well at the edge of the courtyard.

"Good morning, lady Wen Lan!" Xiu smiled as she approached from the well, her sleeves rolled up as she carried a full pail.

"Good morning, Xiu! How did you rest last night?"

"Just fine," she took the pail in both hands as she bowed to her lady. "And you?"

"Very well," she nodded, smiling as she continued towards the well, Xiu walking alongside her. "I saw your pipa beside him this morning; did you leave it there last night?"

"Yeah," she set down the pail as she offered to help Wen Lan fill hers. "I spoke with him last night before I turned in. Did you know he can play it?"

"Really?" Wen Lan blinked as she lifted a hand, politely declining Xiu's offer to assist. "I had no idea."

"I was surprised too! I asked him to hold onto it for me, I figure it'll give him something to do when auntie Min's dragging you around and making you help out with the tea," she laughed.

Wen Lan laughed lightly, holding the now full pail as she began walking back. "Xiu; thank you so much for bringing the others here. It means very much to me," she bowed her head.

"You're too kind, my lady! I thought you'd be upset, since we came in and ruined your alone time with the Demon," she grinned as she prodded Wen Lan softly with her elbow.

Wen Lan blushed deeply, continuing along with the pail. "I..." her eyebrow rose, interrupted by a distant crashing noise.

Xiu turned towards the sound, curious as to its source. Her eyes went wide as a rhinoceros crashed through the main gate, followed by two others.

The young noble set the pail down, stepping forward as her body tensed, her eyes narrow as she looked upon the invaders.

The first rhinoceros stomped forward, its rider calling out his decree. His hair was short, a cloth covering the bottom of his mouth. His armor appeared to be made up of remnants of Earth Kingdom uniforms.

"I am Monta, of the Gouishi bandits! I claim this temple in the name of our clan; all who stand against me will be executed on the spot!"
Sign up to rate and review this story