Categories > Cartoons > Avatar: The Last Airbender > Roses of the Valley

Chapter Thirteen: The Walk

by Giroro5X 0 reviews

The Gouishi bandits find unexpected complications in their occupation of the Earth Kingdom temple, Wen Lan standing against them fearlessly. Following this, Wen Lan and Jung enjoy a quiet walk ...

Category: Avatar: The Last Airbender - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Romance - Characters: Other - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2006-06-28 - Updated: 2006-06-29 - 4595 words

0Unrated


"What are rhinoceroses doing outside of the Fire Nation?" Xiu leaned quietly towards her lady, an eyebrow rising as she observed the Gouishi bandits.

"They are of the Fire Nation army," Wen Lan observed quietly as she studied Monta's steed.

It looked as if it had recently sustained severe injuries, the reins binding its mouth not having been changed from the standard issue of the Fire Nation. Blinders and straps had been tied to each beast in effort to tame them faster, each still restless and uncomfortable.

"The riders?"

"No," the young noble answered. "I suspect they are local bandits; they must have stolen the rhinoceroses following the battle."

"Please, these are holy grounds...I ask that you leave this place," a priest said quietly, approaching the lead bandit.

Monta's face showed no sign of remorse as he issued his response. Lifting his club, he lashed it out towards the nervous priest's head. He nearly slipped off of his steed as he felt the club fly from his hand towards the far side of the temple.

Wen Lan stood with narrowed eyes between the priest and the bandit, her stance revealing that she had disarmed him.

"Fire Nation?" he grunted as he glared at her.

"This is a place of rest and sanctuary," she explained as she stood politely, bowing. "I humbly request that you leave in peace."

"And I request that you die, Fire Nation whore," he spit at her feet, intending to distract her as a knife slipped out from beneath the sleeve of his armor. He stabbed it towards her, yelling loudly.

She turned gracefully, the knife stabbing out behind her as it missed. She turned again, lifting her leg before cutting it down upon the center of his arm, the knife fumbling from his hands.

Startled, he nearly fell from the rhinoceros as he looked towards her. He felt a hand strike between his eyes, knocking him off of his steed.

"I ask again that you take this opportunity to leave," she stood politely, her attention towards the rhinoceros as it stomped around slightly, feeling the loss of its rider.

"Boss, maybe we should get out of here," one of his subordinates suggested from behind the now vacant rhinoceros as the other slowly made its way behind Wen Lan.

"Shut up," he growled as he stood, drawing another knife out from his other sleeve. "You've got a lot of nerve, whore." He dropped the knife as a pail of water smashed over his head, drenching him.

"Stop insulting my lady!" Xiu growled as dusted her hands off, glaring towards the now unconscious bandit.

"For the Gouishi!" the second rider exclaimed, his rhinoceros thundering towards Wen Lan.

She dove out of the way, rolling to a crouching position as she called out. "Xiu, bring the priests to safety!"

Nodding obediently, Xiu hurried as she guided each of the priests to the inner temple, watching from the doorway as her lady continued dodging each of the bandit's advances.

The rhinoceros stood on its hind legs, its large feet pedaling as it towered over her. It brought both to the ground with tremendous force as she dove under its hind legs.

She jumped from the ground, flipping backwards as she landed just behind the rider. Spinning, she kicked her leg out into his neck, launching him to the ground. She balanced carefully on the saddle, grasping the reins in attempt to calm the furious beast. The third bandit rushed towards her, his spear cutting through the air as he stabbed it towards her. Falling to her back, she kicked out both legs as the spear passed between them, a scissor kick shattering the pole.

He fumbled slightly as he dropped the spear, catching a glimpse of her as she reached out to grasp a section of it, lashing her arm out as it splintered against his jaw.

From the temple doorway, Xiu cheered and punched her fists to the sky.

Wen Lan crouched as she landed, facing opposite the two bandits as they readied themselves. Standing calmly, she offered once again. "Please, leave this place now."

"Can we?" the third bandit asked, stray bits of wood littering his jaw.

"Such would insult the honor of the Gouishi name!" the second insisted.

The third groaned, returning to his stance.

"Right, like there's any honor in being a bandit!" Xiu scolded from a distance.

"Ours is an honorable creed!" he yelled at the obnoxious servant.

"If it's so honorable, don't call yourself 'bandits!' Call yourself 'riders,' or 'warriors,' at something!"

"She makes a good point," the third nodded as he imagined the sound of "Gouishi Riders."

"Quiet, it would be dishonorable to abandon the name we have already chosen for ourselves!"

Wen Lan stared, sighing inwardly as she questioned whether this would lead to their retreat or not.

"How can you call yourself honorable when you stole those rhinoceroses from the Fire Nation!?" Xiu placed her hands on her hips, irritated by the second bandit's constant reference to honor.

"That's another good point," the third blinked, now looking towards Xiu.

"Pay attention," the second grumbled.

"Right," the third looked back towards Wen Lan, taking a fighting stance.

"Will you consider leaving, then?" she asked calmly, hoping they would go without any further struggle.

"Never!" The second exclaimed as he drew out his short sword, slashing towards her.

She jumped back, barely escaping the tip of the blade before stepping towards him. She slid her foot just behind his leg, her hand connecting with his jaw as she tripped him, slamming him into the ground.

"Please," she stood with graceful poise, looking towards the third with hope that he could be reasoned with. "Take your partners and leave."

The third stared, ready to accept the offer and gather his associates. Monta's voice rang out from the temple doorway, interrupting.

"Never," he growled as he pulled a priest by the shirt towards the temple courtyard, Xiu lying unconscious against a nearby column, her face bleeding from his strike.

Wen Lan's eyes went wide as she stared towards her friend, clenching her teeth as she began rushing towards the bandit furiously.

"Now now," he glared as he set the trembling priest to his knees, holding a knife to his throat. "You're gonna behave, or I'll kill him."

Glaring, she came to a stop. Her eyes kept glancing towards Xiu, hoping she was alright.

"Good," he grinned as he glanced around, inspecting the status of his forces.

The second bandit struggled to rise to his feet, the rhinoceroses having calmed, now trotting idly within the courtyard as they sniffed around.

"Kill her," he grinned beneath the cloth concealing his mouth.

"Boss..." the third protested quietly.

"Sir," the second bandit narrowed his eyes slightly.

"Do it!" he screamed, throttling the priest as he issued the command.

"...I'm sorry," the third whispered as he approached Wen Lan.

The second remained silent, standing to the opposite side of her as he lifted his sword.

She glared towards him, her eyes going wide as she noticed the girl behind him rushing away.

"Xiu!" she called out.

"Demon!" Xiu screamed as she hurried down the hallway.

"Wait, did she say...?" the third's eyes went wide as he silently hoped his assumption was incorrect.

"Demon...?" the second stood there, an eyebrow raised as his sword remained behind his head, ready to strike.

"They're going to kill her!" Xiu's distant voice pleaded.

"Dumb whore," Monta turned as he gripped the priest's clothes, his knife steadied just in front of his throat. He motioned his head towards the third bandit "Go in and kill he..."

He was interrupted by something large tearing through the wall before him, an object hurling through the air faster than his eyes could register.

The second bandit fell to the ground as the Pai Sho board slammed into his face with tremendous force, the third staring in horror as he backed away.

Monta turned quickly, watching as blood poured from his subordinates face. His eyes wide, he turned back towards the figure.

Wen Lan stared, the tension and rage filling his body visible from any distance. She stood with the silent understanding that his actions must have opened up at least one of his wounds.

The lead bandit stood with a sudden and intense fear, the scene burning into his memory. Before him stood the Demon, his body now littered with bits of wood that once formed the temple wall, the servant he had struck standing behind him glaring. His body was taught with anger, each muscle looking as if it could move a mountain. Most terrifying of all was his face, a Hannya mask with the Earth Kingdom crest in the center, red lines trailing from it.

"Which one?" he growled lowly, the veins in his muscles becoming more apparent as his anger built.

"The one holding the priest," Xiu explained as she stepped to the Demon's side, nodding towards Monta.




"Ah, perfect!" Gang grinned as he set himself down in the large hot spring, the temperature just right. "Do all Earth Kingdom temples have hot springs?"

"No, it was merely our good fortune that the local priests have made an effort to maintain this one," Chin-Hwa answered as he rested on the opposite side of the spring, breathing in the steam.

"This is exactly what I needed after a tough battle," he splashed some water against his face, enjoying the heat.

"I am just grateful for the rest; I was quite worried about the general and Wen Lan," he noted quietly.

"You think they're alright?" Gang rested against the stones behind him, watching the surface of the water.

"Who?"

"Lady Wen Lan, Xiu, the Demon."

"I am sure they are fine, Gang. Each of them has shown that they can handle themselves."

"Yeah," he smirked as he looked towards the sky.

"Keep it down over there!" Min barked from behind the bamboo wall.

"You keep it down, you're the one yellin'!" Gang turned his head, yelling right back at her.

"You two talk more than the girls in the village!"

"Shut up, old pain!" Gang grunted as he turned his attention back towards the water, reassured that there was no danger within the temple walls.

Chin-Hwa smiled at the scene as he continued soaking.

"What a noisy bunch," Min complained quietly as she sat in a spring on the opposite side of the wall, glancing towards a nearby wood frog.

Its cheeks swelled as it croaked, jumping and resting on her head.

"Hmm," she closed her eyes, sinking down into the water until her nose hovered above the surface, enjoying the heat as it washed over her wrinkled skin, the wood frog croaking again.




Terrified, Monta stepped back, almost tripping.

The Demon stepped forward silently, each footstep inspiring a stronger fear in the lead bandit's heart.

"Jung, no!" Wen Lan pleaded, her eyes filled with worry. "You could reopen your wounds!"

"K...Kill him," Monta whispered the command.

"Are you insane!?" the subordinate looked up from attempting to treat his associate, having no desire to square off against a man who was rumored to kill without hesitation.

"Fine, not like I'm low on hostages!" In desperation, he thrust his hand out towards the young noble, colliding with the ground as he felt a sudden pressure on top of him, the Demon's hand gripping his face.

The Demon crouched over Monta, his hand keeping him firmly pinned to the ground as his other hand wrapped around his arm.

"What are..." Monta's eyes went wide as he stared towards his shoulder, seeing the mighty hand grip his arm near the socket.

"Disarming you," the Demon stood slowly, gripping Monta by the face as he began squeezing and pulling slightly.

"Jung!" Wen Lan rushed towards him, stopping just behind him as she pleaded. "Please, no!"

"He was going to kill you," fury soaked each word as the mask remained fixed on the bandit, his grip over his face tightening as he screamed.

"You must not; please!"

"He deserves it," he growl became lower as his body trembled with anger.

"Jung!" tears came to her eyes as she wrapped her arms around him, pressing her face against his back.

The pause would have been quiet, had it not been for Monta's screaming. The tension within his body melted away, his hand releasing the bandit's face and arm, dropping him to the ground. Jung had calmed, his arms resting idly as he stood.

Monta whimpered as the pain faded slowly, his left hand gripping his right shoulder as he cried thankfully for the fact that it was still there. He felt something push him to the ground from behind, the priests and Xiu quickly binding his hands and feet.

"...I apologize," Jung offered quietly as he faced away from her.

Her arms remained around his waist, her face lifting away from his back. "Thank you," she smiled gently as her eyes remained affixed to his back.

"For?" the mask glanced back towards her.

"For not harming him."

"...Hmm," the eyes beneath the mask glared angrily towards Monta.

"Ah," she gasped slightly as she remembered his wounds, moving quickly to inspect them. Her hands traced along the bandages as she restored each, worry filling her eyes as she noticed his chest scar had reopened. "Does it hurt?"

"No."

"I did not think you would be able to do such things after such a short period of rest," she smiled softly as she continued adjusting the bandages.

"It is because you have helped me to heal faster," he offered the compliment as he looked towards her, the face beneath the mask blushing gently.

Wen Lan's cheeks took on a slight shade of red as she finished, extending her hand towards the temple interior. "We should return to the room; you must rest until there is no longer any risk of your wounds opening."

He stepped towards the Pai Sho board, lifting it over his shoulder before making his way towards the temple doorway, Wen Lan walking alongside him.




It was safe to say that Gang was not pleased, upon returning. Fortunately, Xiu was able to calm him and deter him from beating each of the bandits within an inch of their life as Chin-Hwa offered to pay for the reconstruction of the wall Jung had torn through on his way to protect Wen Lan.

"Fine, fine! I won't hurt 'em!" Gang muttered as he folded his arms.

"And why is that?" Xiu kept her hands on her hips, her eyes narrowed suspiciously as she questioned him.

"Because it would upset lady Wen Lan," he growled as he recited that which she had told him, making every effort to maintain patience.

"Heh heh, I knew the tea'd help," Min chuckled as she admired the wall he had demolished.

"Still, I think it would have been more convenient to use the door," Chin-Hwa stepped beside her, the status of the wall serving to impress him in regards to the Demon's strength.

"Are you kidding?!" she looked up at him, her eyes going wide. "There's nothing romantic about going through the door! His heated passion and desire to save her from the clutches of evil drove him through a solid wall without hesitation, despite still being wounded!" She clasped her hands together, her tone becoming more excited as she described the scene.

"Some habits die hard, hmm?" he teased as he glanced towards her, her matchmaker spirit overcoming her.

"Bah, you just don't know romance!" she accused as she walked away stubbornly. "So, what will we do about these?" she motioned her head towards the now docile rhinoceroses.

"Leftovers from the battle," Gang observed as he stepped up beside her, Xiu standing to his side. "I say we eat 'em."

Xiu smacked the back of his head, her eyes narrow. "Idiot."

"I suppose we will see to it that they are returned to the Fire Nation," Chin-Hwa stroked his beard as he studied the rhinoceroses. "They look like they have endured enough pain."

"Still, do you really think they're going to be treated better in the Fire Nation?" Xiu tilted her head as she considered it.

"Hey, old man." Gang folded his arms.

Chin-Hwa sighed, yearning for the reverence he had been shown so long ago, back when it was customary to refer to him by name, and not just as "old man."

"What is it, Gang?"

"Lemme keep one," he smirked.

"What? What for?" Xiu's eyebrow perked up as she turned towards him.

"Always liked 'em," he explained. "They're big and stupid..."

"Like you?" Xiu blinked.

"Shut up, lemme finish. They're big and stupid, but loyal. It'd be good to have around the mansion."

"You aren't intending for this to become part of some disturbed training regime for the guards, are you?" Chin-Hwa stroked his beard as he looked towards the old guard with suspicion.

"Nah," Gang grinned, the thought not having occurred to him until Chin-Hwa had mentioned it.

"...Hmm. Alright." Chin-Hwa examined the beasts from a distance, smiling.

"What?!" Xiu's eyes went wide in absolute shock.

"Lemme have one too, I'll use it for deliveries." Min crossed her arms.

"No," the three said in unison.

"Jerks," the old pain muttered.




"Hmm..." Wen Lan examined the board carefully, bringing her finger down to one of the tiles. Jung had caught on to the concept of the game rather quickly, now presenting a genuine challenge to her. She slid it to an open square, before bringing her hands back to her lap.

"...Wen Lan," the mask stared at the board.

She looked up, slightly startled. It was not often that he addressed her by name. "Yes?"

There was a silent pause as he collected himself. "...Would you like to take a walk with me?"

"Of course," she smiled as she stood, glad that he was feeling well enough to suggest it.

He stood quietly, his pace calm as he made his way to the hallway, feeling the sleeve of her robe touch against his arm every so often.

"Good evening, lady Wen Lan! Good evening, Demon!" Xiu smiled as the two passed.

"Where are you off to?" Chin-Hwa smiled as he looked towards them, happy that the Demon was well enough to move without any indication of exhaustion or pain.

"We are going on a walk," Wen Lan smiled as she bowed towards them.

"Do you need an esc..." Gang was interrupted by Xiu's hand covering his mouth.

"Have fun!" she smiled innocently as she struggled to keep the old guard quiet.

"Wen Lan, help me make tea when you get back!" Min called to her.

"Of course, auntie Min." She bowed before returning to the Demon's side. "Shall we?" she asked as she smiled softly towards him.

"Yes," he answered quietly as he began walking towards the gate.

"What was that for?" Gang whispered with agitation.

"You old oaf; you really think she wants anyone tagging along with her?!"

"Why wouldn't she?"

Min sighed, feeling that she and Xiu were alone in understanding the vast complexity of romance.

"It's her chance to be alone with him!" the young servant explained with sharp whisper.

Gang stood there, raising an eyebrow in perplexity. His other eyebrow lifted as the puzzle pieced together, followed by him folding his arms as he blushed slightly. "Fine, I'll allow this," he grunted.

"You allow whatever lady Wen Lan allows you to allow," Xiu countered, folding her arms mockingly.

"Yeah yeah," he muttered as he stepped up to one of the rhinoceroses, patting its neck.

"Which one are you gonna take?" she asked curiously as she placed her hand on its horn, petting it.

"Whichever one needs me to protect it," he answered as he studied the beast.

Xiu blinked as she looked towards him, a gentle smile coming over her as she admired the old fool.

"Min, join me in a game of Pai Sho?" Chin-Hwa offered.

"Fine, but no cheating this time," she grunted.

"I never cheat, you simply deny the move is legal," he explained as they walked towards the temple interior.

"It isn't legal!" she insisted.

Though Chin-Hwa was a master in the art of debate, he found discovered long ago that words had no effect on Min once she had decided upon something.




They walked quietly along the trail, exchanging observations of their surroundings.

"What is that on that branch, there?" she looked towards a tree, noticing a yellow eye facing in no particular direction.

"A tree chameleon," he answered as he continued forward, his mask turning slightly to face it. "They're common in this forest."

"Ah," she continued watching it as she passed, looking towards him. "Have any ever come by the cave?"

"One entered and hid there, until I returned him to the forest."

"How kind," she smiled as she looked back towards the trail, blushing slightly in admiration of his compassion.

"Did you have any animals, growing up?" He was grateful that such questions had become comfortable between them.

"We had turtle ducks," she smiled as she remembered. "My father and I would feed them in the garden. We also had a messenger hawk."

"I see," he nodded.

"My father insisted it was strictly for business, but would still allow me to pet it and give it a treat each time it returned with a message." She would have countered with the same inquiry, but she had made a point of not prying into Jung's past.

"No rhinoceroses?"

"Hmm? No, why?"

"Gang seemed to be inspecting them carefully; it led me to believe he had experience with them."

"He led a very interesting life before he came to be employed by my family; it's entirely possible that he's tamed them in the past."

"Hmm," Jung came to a stop as they arrived at an estuary, a wide bridge built over it. The moon reflected gently off of the surface, illuminating the clearing as fireflies danced around it calmly. The pale tint of each flower could be made out under the soft moonlight as a small waterfall sounded in the distance.

"Fireflies," her eyes lit up as she observed the insects celebrating the night, stepping ahead of him onto the bridge. She placed her hand upon its rails as she watched them joyfully, turning towards Jung with a smile.

Admiring her beauty, he stepped towards her. He stopped on the bridge beside her, placing a hand on the rail as he looked out towards the forest.

"It is beautiful," Wen Lan whispered as she took in her surroundings, closing her eyes as she breathed deep.

"...Wen Lan," the mask turned towards her slightly.

"Yes?" she looked up towards him, still smiling softly.

Upon seeing her face, he turned away to face the opposite side of the bridge, approaching the rail slowly.

The Demon, who would stand against the mightiest bender without fear, found himself unable to look upon her smile as he tried to deliver the words.

He looked out towards the distant waterfall, his heart pounding as he searched for the courage he had summoned so often before.

Her body turned towards him, worried as she stood nervously, hoping he was alright.

A silent distance fell between them, the flow of the estuary sounding lightly as it passed. The fireflies continued their dance, the quiet having no effect on them.

The pause stood for a long time, both sides feeling as if it dragged by forever as Wen Lan watched with worry.

"Jung..." she voiced his name softly, hoping nothing was wrong.

"I..." the word was strong, as if forced from him painfully. He trailed off upon realizing he had interrupted her.

Her eyes widened slightly as she felt her heart inexplicably beating faster, blushing as she watched his muscular frame become tense.

"...Love you," he practically whispered the words, his body rigid. He had hoped to say more to her, to articulate it better. Yet he could find the proper words, much less part with them.

Wen Lan brought her hand to her mouth, her eyes wide as she stared. .

Another silence occupied the night, causing a slight hurt within him as he suspected quietly that she felt nothing for him, that his affection was unreciprocated.

"Jung," she whispered as she stepped forward.

"It's fine," his frame relaxed slightly as he accepted his suspicion, berating himself for thinking that one such as herself could feel for a demon.

Quietly, she placed her hands on his back, bringing her face gently to rest upon it.

A silent gasp escaped his mouth from beneath the mask, feeling her touch. The mask lifted slightly, facing towards the distant waterfall.

"...I love you, too," she blushed as she whispered the words, a quiet joy enflaming her heart as it pounded harder beneath her flesh.

The two stood there silently, the fireflies passing in what seemed celebration of their confessions.

Slowly, he turned his body to face her, his hand lifting slowly, nervously as he brought it to her cheek.

She rested her cheek in his palm, blushing as she stared up towards the mask.

"Jung..." she said quietly as she lifted her hands slowly, carefully towards the mask, resting her fingers on its edges. She could feel his body tense nervously as she made contact with it.

Lifting her fingers slightly, she apologized. "I'm sorry..."

"No," he brought his hand slowly to the mask, his other hand lifting to its border. His hands shivered nervously as he considered that which he was doing. Looking to her eyes he found quiet confidence, slowly removing the mask.

His right hand held it, placing it on the rail of the bridge. He stood nervously before her, as if he had been stripped of everything.

She felt compelled to cry as she looked upon his bare face, tears coming to her as she witnessed him.

He was completely bald, a scar running along the center of his head, another trailing over his right eye and meeting with it before slipping between his eyes. A third scar ran horizontally from the right side of his face and over the bridge of his nose, connecting with these. A deeper scar ran from the bottom right of his jaw across his mouth, moving under his left ear as the others met with it. Separated from the others, another ran horizontally, lightly on his left cheek. A few stitches remained along the scars with no particular pattern to them.

His eyes were green, a look of slight shame and nervousness occupying them as he glanced away from her.

Softly, she touched her fingers along his cheeks, feeling the warmth of his skin as she gazed towards his eyes, seeing no hatred nor disdain in them, only humanity.

Jung looked towards her, his eyes locking with hers as he felt her fingers upon him. He lifted his hands to hers, touching them softly.

"You're beautiful," she whispered softly, smiling as tears lined her cheeks.

He brought his finger to her cheek, wiping away a tear as he looked towards her with the same love he had been concealing for so long.

Slowly, she drew her mouth closer to his, closing her eyes. Her lips quivered softly as she felt the warmth of his face near hers.

His fingers sifted through her hair, taking her cheek in his palm as he closed his eyes, bringing his lips to hers slowly.

The two embraced one another on the bridge, their hearts taking solace in one another as the fireflies danced around them.
Sign up to rate and review this story