Categories > Celebrities > 30 Seconds to Mars > You Are The Reason I Can't Control Myself.

These Are The Lies I Have Created

by Echelonkid30 1 review

Shannon finds out the truth during breakfast, and Jared gets the most disturbing text message yet.

Category: 30 Seconds to Mars - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama - Published: 2012-04-20 - Updated: 2012-04-21 - 1397 words

0Unrated
Shannon pressed his ear up against the wall of Jared's bedroom door, listening for any sound of life coming from inside. The younger brother hadn't made any noise for three days, as Shannon had locked the door. He had tried to get out of the house to buy drugs several times, and he needed to be kept safe.

"Okay... I'm gonna unlock the door. Come on out and we can talk." Shannon said quietly through the gap in the door.

He waited for a response, but there was none. The whole house was completely silent when Jared was upset, but when he was normal, the sound of shouting, screeching and him talking to himself could be heard from a mile away. Was Jared giving him the silent treatment or was he just listening to his iPod on full volume, ignoring the whole world?

"Jared..."

"What do you want?"

Jared's voice was croaky. He hadn't talked in nearly 3 days, apart from the odd 'for fuck's sake' when he did something wrong or heard something he didn't want to hear. This felt weird to him as he was always talking or singing and using his voice.

"I'm going to be downstairs. Come down, I want to talk to you."

"Fine. I'll be down in a minute."

Jared started to get dressed, for the first time in a few days, after lazing around and wearing his pyjamas. He threw on a loose fitting t-shirt, zipped up the fly on his skinny jeans, then looked at the time, orange glowing numbers, on his silver alarm clock.

"9:43."

He made his way down the stairs, feeling more energetic by the second. He had taken one of the pills he had found, so he felt a little happier than he had done in the last few days. He smelled food wafting around the house, Shannon must have been cooking breakfast. The older Leto stared at the T.V as the sound of a news reporter's monotonous voice also rang throughout the kitchen. This was a usual morning in the Leto household.

"Frank Iero, guitarist of rock band My Chemical Romance, had reportedly gone missing after calls to the police were made late last night."

Franks sweet face was displayed on the screen, with the caption Frank Iero of My Chemical Romance - Missing. This shocked Shannon, maybe something horrible had happened to his friend, maybe he was hurt. He could have just gone on an impromptu holiday to get away from the stress of living with Gerard, you could never be too sure.

"Jared, have you seen this?" Shannon asked, as he heard Jared's footsteps entering the kitchen.

"Probably not. You locked me in my room for three days, remember?" Jared said sarcastically.

"Frank has gone missing. Watch this."

Jared looked at the TV, staring at Frank's picture. It was a few years old, he had a black mini mohawk with red shaved sides and large black crosses drawn over his eyes with eyeliner. This turned to a video of Frank's wife, Jamia, crying hysterically and carrying her little boy Miles, her daughters Cherry and Lily standing next to her.

"We just want him back. Frank, if you're watching this, please come home."

The room went silent as Shannon turned off the T.V and rested on the work surface covered in flour, putting his head in his hands and sighing loudly. The deadly silence seemed awkward and Jared decided to talk to break the tension.

"We could get pictures of him put on milk cartons."

"That's not funny Jared! Imagine how Jamia feels! What if something horrible has happened to him? He has three little kids!" Shannon was obviously upset about this.

"Okay, okay. I'm sorry."

"Why are you so happy anyway?"

"Oh, I don't know... The fact that I'm free now has made me a little chirpier."

"Don't be so sarcastic with me. I locked you in there for your own good!"

"I know. I'm ready to become sober now. I'm going to try and make life a whole lot better for my self and-"

"Okay, shut up and sit down. Are you hungry? I made pancakes."

Jared sighed and got out a chair to sit on, looking like he was lost in his own home. He wasn't hungry for pancakes, he was rarely hungry and Shannon's cooking put him off of food.

"Not really."

Shannon raised an eyebrow at his brother, while putting some of the pancakes on a blue china plate. Jared's behaviour had been a little strange and had worried him a lot, he was getting skinnier day by day and it didn't seem right or healthy. He hadn't been acting right since the text messages from Gerard had started.

"Are you anorexic?"

"No. Why?"

"If you're starving yourself for another movie role I want you to call up the director and pull out right now!"

"Shannon, I'm not anorexic and I'm not going to be another movie, so just get off my case."
"You haven't eaten anything in three days."

"I just don't feel right. Stop playing twenty questions with me."

It only took a seconds for Shannon to notice what was going on when Jared ground his teeth together. He turned around to get a closer look at his brother, who was in a terrible state. Sobriety definitely wasn't helping either.

"What the fuck is wrong with you?" Shannon screeched.

"Nothing. I'm fine."

"I can hear you grinding your teeth from here! Don't try and tell me that-"

"Honestly, Shannon... you're being absurd." Jared smiled.

"You're such a liar! You've been doing speed, haven't you?!"

"No!"

"Liar! Tell me the truth!"

Jared rolled his eyes and looked down at the table while Shannon continued to rave and rant about how everything had been a lie, how he was untrustworthy, a dirty lying bastard... he had been called every name under the sun.

"Listen. I tried really hard to give up-"

"Obviously not hard enough! You're not sober!"

They were interrupted by a loud knock on the door. Who could it have been? Jared had told nearly every religious preacher that he was a goat-sacrificing Satanist or had just told people not to come through the front porch. Shannon answered the door to a bearded figure with long black hair. Tomo.

"Good morning Letos!" Tomo beamed, gliding into the house.

Shannon grabbed him quickly and kissed him forcefully, he needed the contact and the happiness that came with Tomo visiting. Jared's lies and Frank's disappearance had bought his good mood down, he needed someone to care for him, and look out for him for a change, as he was the rock of the group.

"Morning Tomo." Jared grumbled, his head in his hands.

"Tomo, we have vegan pancakes if you want some. Jared won't eat his because he's full up on speed." Shannon mumbled, tossing a few of the pancakes in the pan.

Tomo looked even more confused than usual. Speed? There was always something new to be heard in the Leto household as it was always full of drama. He hadn't visited the brothers in a while, so he had missed out on a lot of gossip.

"What are you talking about? He asked, his eyes a little wide.

"Jared is a fully fledged drug addict. He's buzzing on speed." Shannon sighed.

"But Jared... I thought you were clean."

"So did I, until Gerard came and fucked everything up for me."

Tomo looked even more confused than ever. Jared was clean, then he wasn't, Shannon was upset, and Gerard had something to do with it? Nothing was ever normal between Jared and Shannon, there was always something that needed discussing or clarifying.

"Tomo, I'll tell you everything later... Jared, go upstairs, I need to talk to Tomo."

"Okay."

"Don't touch any more drugs, okay?"

Jared found himself in his room again, lying on the end of his bed, waiting for time to pass. Shannon had been talking to Tomo for what had seemed like hours, when in reality it had only lasted a few minutes. He sat there daydreaming, until he felt his phone vibrate. He yanked the BlackBerry out of his pocket and saw the red light flashing over and over again; he had a text. The message was from a blocked number.

'i'm coming for you and you'll be my bitch tonight, love gee xoxo'
Sign up to rate and review this story