Categories > Anime/Manga > Fruits Basket > Bad Things Part 2

chapter 11

by stargate-lover 0 reviews

Category: Fruits Basket - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama,Romance - Characters: Hatori - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2012-06-16 - Updated: 2012-06-17 - 2882 words

0Unrated
(Hatori's POV)

Hatori!

I hear her calling for me. I tried to move but my body won't respond.

Hatori!

She needs me, but I can't. All I can see is the ceiling but I can tell her voice is getting farther away. He must be taking her. I am oddly calm, and I can't really feel that pain that should be there. Ah… I must be going into shock.

HATORI!

She's far away now, and I can hear another sound as well. My children. The love of my life and the children I had with her are crying for me, and I can do nothing for them as I fall into the blackness I couldn't hold back any longer.

Beep. Beep. Beep.

I opened my eyes but shut them right away. It was too bright. I opened them again, slowly this time, and blinked several times to clear my vision. The ceiling was not in my home, it was a bunch of squares. Then I realized that my nose had something in it. It took me much longer then it should have to realize that they were tubes, and that I was in a hospital.

"Ha'ri?" and anxious voice asked. I heard some quick footsteps and a door open, the voice yelled that I was awake. When they came back they leaned over my head and I saw who it was, Momiji.

"Ah Ha'ri, you gave us quite a scare there," another voice nervously chuckled, Shigure.

"How did I get here?" I asked. I don't understand… what happened? I can't remember.

"I found you… After I told the man where you were…well I didn't like the vibe he gave off," Momiji said, sounding thoroughly miserable. What man?

"Hatori…" an older voice asked gently, Hatsu. "Where is Inora?"

Inora? Where was she? Then it all came flooding back. Eric with a gun pointed at her. The look of terror on her face as he pointed it at me and I shoved her out of the way. The gun going off and the bullet lodging in my stomach. Her calling my name as she was dragged out of the house by that monster.

"Inora?" I asked and forced myself upright. I groaned and doubled over as a stabbing pain shot through my stomach.

"Whoa, Ha'ri, take it easy," Shigure said awkwardly.

"Inora!" I yelled. I ignored the pain the best I could and swung my legs over the side of the bed. I started to pull all of the tubes and monitors off of me.

"Hatori, you need rest!" Momiji put in and reached to try and stop me. I shoved his hand away.

"SHE NEEDS HELP!" I yelled and stood shakily. I paused to lean against the bed for support and grabbed my stomach. The pain was so bad I was now fighting not to throw up as well. I took a deep breath and started making my way to the door.

"He's right. You need to stay in bed. Officers are here to find out what happened…" Aya said after appearing in front of me.

"There's no time for that," I snarled at him. He stood in front of the door with a determined look on his face.

"You're not leaving," he said.

"Ayame, get out of my way," I said dangerously.

"No. You can't help her in your condition. Please get in bed and talk to the officers," he responded calmly. I thought for a second and realized he was right. I wouldn't be able to force him out of my way let alone track down Eric and get Inora away from him. I reluctantly nodded and Shigure helped me back to the bed while Ayame went to get the officers.

"Where are my children? Are they ok?" I asked the room.

"They're fine. They're with Kazuma in the waiting room," Hatsu said just as two officers came in. One was younger and tall while the older one was shorter and bald.

"Dr. Sohma, I apologize but I have to ask, the person that shot you…was it your wife?" the older one asked. I grabbed him by the front of his shirt and brought his face right up to mine.

"Don't you ever ask that again! That monster came into our home, shot me, and took her. Go find her. NOW!" I yelled in his face. I released him and he stumbled back a few steps. The younger one stepped forward while the other tried to recover a little.

"Do you know anything about the person that took her?" he asked calmly. I gave him all of the information I knew about the man, and they seemed quite surprised I knew so much. Everyone else in the room was shocked beyond words at the new fact they learned about Inora. I didn't leave a thing out in case it could help. Momiji looked close to tears.

"Her uncle, Dan, might know more about him. His number is in my phone… wherever that is," I muttered.

"I'm sure the nurses have it. And if he's been to jail in the states he'll be in their system, he'll be just that much easier to track," the older one said. They gave a few more reassurances before leaving.

"I had no idea…" Shigure muttered. I felt someone grab my arm and I looked over to see Momiji rest his head on my shoulder in a sort of hug.

"How could anyone hit Inora? She's one of the sweetest, most wonderful people I've ever met," he whispered and gave into his tears.

"I honestly don't know," I whispered back, feeling my throat tighten.

"Someone with serious mental issues," Hatsu growled.

"Clearly. A monster, as Ha'ri said," Ayame agreed. Everyone was silent for a few seconds, all lost in their own thoughts.

"Can I… Can I see the kids?" I asked, finally breaking the silence. Momiji jerked upright and ran from the room without a word. He came back in a minute later with Summer followed by Kazuma with Hikaru. I propped up my knees a little and laid them in my lap facing me. They had to be the most beautiful babies I have ever seen, though I suppose I'm biased. They had jet black hair to match mine, as soon as their hair got thicker and we could tell for sure what color it was going to be Inora was ecstatic. She had been hoping they would get my black hair. They also had brilliant blue eyes that looked like they were taken right off Inora. When I held them the first time in the delivery room and saw that, I had actually given a little cheer.

Now I was just hoping to see those eyes again on the woman I love. I picked them up and held them gently to my chest. They stared up at me curiously, like they knew that their daddy's heart was breaking. What if they had to grow up without her? No. I can't think that way. Inora is strong, she'll be ok.

"She'll be ok," I whispered to them, to everyone, to no one, to myself. "She'll be ok."

Time…happened. There is no other way to explain it. I neither noticed or cared about time passing, it was almost like I was existing outside of it. I just laid in the slightly propped up hospital bed holding the kids, they were the only thing that was keeping me from going crazy. So it was possibly a few hours later when Tohru and Kyo showed up, followed not that much later by Yuki. Shigure took them out into the hall to explain everything, when they came back in they looked slightly dazed.

"Your babies… they have such wonderful features. When I saw them they didn't have hair and I couldn't see their eyes. They're beautiful," Tohru commented. I looked over at her and saw Kyo looking over her shoulder curiously. That's exactly what happened last time. He would hover near Tohru's shoulder every time she would hold one, but he always got awkward and refused when someone asked if he wanted to hold one.

"Kyo, come here," I said and picked Summer up from my lap. He edged forward with a suspicious look. When he got close enough I held her out to him.

"Nuh uh. Those things are too… soft," he said while shaking his head quickly.

"Soft?" I raised an eyebrow at him.

"Yeah… like fragile and stuff. I don't want to hurt her," he said and tried to take a step back but surprisingly Tohru stopped his retreat.

"You won't hurt her," I smiled.

"Kyo just hold your arms out like this," Tohru said sweetly and positioned his arms. I reached out and tucked my daughter in his arms and he automatically adjusted to make a comfortable bed for her.

"See? It's easy. You handle her just like a pro," I patted him on the shoulder but ended up groaning and clutching my stomach in pain. The few more inches I had to reach up for his shoulder stretched out my abs.

"I'll go get the nurse!" Tohru squealed and ran from the room. Kyo didn't notice as he was locked on Summers face who was simply staring up at him. I glanced over at Yuki who was watching Kyo curiously. I remembered that he hadn't held them either.

"Yuki, Come hold Hikaru. He must be getting tired of me by now," I joked. He hesitated then glanced and Kyo's content expression again before walking over. He held out his arms and I placed Hikaru in them. Everyone else in the room watched with warm smiles as the former cat and rat stood side by side with babies in their arms and equal looks of wonder on their faces. The bossy nurse hustled into the room with Momiji a minute later.

"Oh well aren't you two adorable!" she gushed. Everyone was surprised that she was talking about Kyo and Yuki, especially them.

"She's right! You look so happy holding them," Momiji giggled while Tohru nodded fiercely off to the side.

"Now, Dr. Sohma I would appreciate it if you would try to take it easy. If you keep straining yourself you'll never recover," she said briskly.

"But I wasn't-" I tried but she wouldn't listen.

"I'll give you something for the pain, but it won't do much good if you keep trying to move about," she scolded.

"I didn't-" I tried again.

"Honestly doctors are the worst patients. You think they would know these things already! Goodness me," she muttered while putting the meds in my IV drip.

"I do-"

"Now rest. Dinner should be coming around soon," she said as she hustled out of the door again.

"Oh you should have seen your face! You looked like you were being scolded by your mother," Aya laughed.

"I was not straining myself, she doesn't know what she's talking about. I was shot, I think I'm entitled to be in a little pain," I grumbled.

"Why Ha'ri. Are you pouting?" Shigure giggled.

"He is! Look he has his arms crossed and everything!" Hatsu laughed. I sighed and forced myself to uncross my arms, but I didn't respond knowing it would just bring more taunts from them. They were still laughing when the room's phone rang and Momiji picked it up.

"Hello?" he asked. There was a pause then, "Really? So-… uh huh. Oh… ok I'll tell him… thanks, bye." Everyone was listening curiously as he went from excited to worried over thirty seconds. He hung up and looked at me, biting his lip, which isn't like him at all.

"What is it?" I finally asked.

"That was the police. They said that Eric guy was stupid enough to use a credit card to get a hotel room. They looked at some security cameras and saw him and Inora go in… we gave them her picture, see…" he trailed off.

"And?" I asked feeling a little inpatient.

"so they know she's in there and they're going to go in but… they wanted me to tell you that with his mental state he might try to hurt her when he realizes they're coming to get her," he said sadly. Everyone was silent, and I couldn't even think properly. If they were going in now… I should know the outcome within a few minutes right? I couldn't see how it could take any longer than that, it's not like he's some sort of criminal mastermind. I just hope they were taking him seriously though…

"She'll be fine. I'm sure once the cops go in he'll be like a scared little bunny," Hatsu said. "Oh… no offence Momiji." And Momiji actually chuckled once before he started pacing. I wish I could have paced as well but I just had to settle for alternating between playing with my fingers and clutching at my knees. After about a minute of that a hand slipped into mine and held it tightly.

"She'll be ok. She's a strong woman with good instincts," Shigure said. I wish I could know how they all seemed so sure that she would be ok. That man was a lunatic, I wasn't sure about her safety at all. Now that I was paying attention to time again it seemed to creep to a stop. It seemed like after an eternity that the phone rang again, Momiji grabbed it before the first ring was done.

"Hello?" he sounded slightly panicked this time. We all held our breath as a group until Momiji broke into a smile and hung up without saying anything.

"She's perfectly ok!" he cheered with happy tears. I let out the breath I was holding with a half sob half chuckle, she was alright. "They're bringing her straight over here."

"Thank God," I whispered and felt a few tears trickle out of my eyes. It really wasn't that long, but it seemed like it, before the door flew open. Everyone's head snapped up and grinned in unison at the sight in the door frame. Inora ran into the room and, after seeing Summer and Hikaru in the arms of Kyo and Yuki, practically dove into my arms sobbing.

"You didn't answer me. You were just laying there with a glazed over look at the ceiling. I couldn't even tell if you were breathing as he drug me out," she somehow managed to say through her hysterical sobs.

"It's ok…we're ok," I said soothingly as I rubbed her back. She cried herself out slowly onto my shoulder as we held each other. She sniffed and leaned back a little to look in my eyes.

"Don't scare me like that again," she said with a weak chuckle.

"I'll see what I can do," I laughed and leaned forward to press my lips to hers. She promptly grabbed my head in a death lock and I felt her tongue positively demand access to mine. I granted her access, not even caring who might be in the room, and ignored the pain as I clutched her as close to me as possible. If I could help it I would never let her go again. We broke apart to breathe but as soon as we did where we were came crashing back to us. I looked to see amused faces on Shigure, Ayame, Momiji, Hatsu, and Kazuma, and embarrassed faces on Kyo, Tohru, and Yuki.

"Uh…later huh?" Inora whispered to me and I grinned.

"We have forever," I whispered back and she rolled her eyes at my cliché remark.

"Ahem," someone said from the doorway, the older cop stepped in. "Mighty fine woman you have there sir. By the time we got there he was knocked out on the floor. Turns out she was just biding her time until he dropped his guard… until she could kick him in the head. Now, we have this guy on assault if not attempted murder, breaking and entering, and kidnapping. Don't you worry, he'll be going away for a long time. Either here or in the states. Good day to you," he said cheerfully and left. Everyone was silent for a minute before Kyo laughed.

"Kicked him in the head, huh?" he asked with a grin.

"That-a girl. You make your master proud," Kazuma patted her on the back.

"I should have known not to worry," I said and she smiled and gave me another kiss.

"I love you. So much," she said and leaned her head on my shoulder. I kissed the top of her hair, still clutching her to me and stoking her hair.

"I love you too. Words cannot describe."

(A/N): Hmmm. I think that one was one of my better written chapters. Ok so I know I didn't give you much warning but this is basically the end. I have an epilogue thought out cuz I like those. And if you would like, I was thinking of writing a smutty chapter for after he gets out of the hospital…? So if you want that TELL ME! Otherwise how will I know? Lol oh and that last line he said was a paraphrase of what he told her at their wedding while they were dancing…. Yeah. :)
Sign up to rate and review this story