Categories > Cartoons > X-Men: Evolution > Revolution

Chapter 06

by Mikari 0 reviews

Chapter 06: Heartbreak

Category: X-Men: Evolution - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Humor,Romance - Characters: Boom Boom,Shadowcat,Toad - Published: 2012-06-25 - Updated: 2012-06-25 - 2322 words - Complete

0Unrated
Revolution

Chapter 06: Heartbreak

Todd returned to the kitchen and greeted the cook with a grin. "Here's the next order."

The cook, a blond young woman, by the name of Tabitha, received the handwritten note and raised an eyebrow. "What's a kapoosheno?" She knew what it meant, but she asked anyway. The real question was who would want to drink a cappuccino in this merciless summer?

"It's a coffee," Todd replied as if the question was real, and he thought it was.

Wrinkling her nose in distaste at the mere prospect of a hot drink, and more so a hot drink that she would have to prepare, Tabitha inquired. "Who's the masochist?"

"Huh?" Todd had been distracted looking through the kitchen cabinets while Tabitha's eyes remained on the note in disbelief. "Amanda," he answered simply and matter of factly. "Don't ask me how she can stand it, yo, because I'm sure I don't know."

Tabitha's answer came as a surprise for Todd. "I do," she frowned as she said this, as if she remembered something personal, deep and regretful. Yet there was also a confident look in her eyes that assured that what had afflicted her in the past was something that she had found the strength to assimilate, accept and move on. "She's heartbroken," Tabitha assured with a full certainty that Todd didn't understand how she could have.

"She's on a date," Todd pointed out with confusion. How could anyone be heartbroken while on a date? If he was on a date with Wanda he wouldn't be heartbroken, all the opposite, he would be jumping with joy, probably literally. "How could she be heartbroken?"

"This isn't a date," Tabitha solemnly assured, as if paying her respects to someone who passed away. "It's a breakup..." The solemn silence hung in the air for a full minute, during which Tabitha's steady gaze kept Todd quiet. Then finally, Tabitha sprung to life without warning, startling Todd. "We have to spy on them!"

Without warning, Todd was her accomplice in spying. He didn't agree to it, but he didn't know how to disagree... if he wanted to disagree, which he didn't. "What about the French vanilla cappuccino and the shaved ice?"

"What shaved ice?" Tabitha blinked in confusion. "If we had shaved ice here I would have eaten it all. This hot kitchen is murder!"

"What about the big fridge?" Todd pointed at the large door at the opposite side of the kitchen.

Tabitha shuddered, remembering her own attempt to seek the comfort of ice. "I'm not going in there!" She stubbornly declared like a frightened child clinging to her mother's skirt, except she was actually holding on to the doorframe of the kitchen.

Todd looked at the door curiously at first, then with distrust. "What's in there?" Whatever it was, it certainly bothered Tabitha and he knew she was very brave.

Tabitha studied Todd for a moment with an analytical gaze. "Then again, it might not bother you so much." She grinned mischievously and swung her arm around his shoulders, her tall white chef's cap slightly askew. "Go take a look." She gave him a small push towards the fridge's door.

Worried by her tone, Todd shrunk back, but Tabitha kept urging him on. Seconds passed and eventually push turned to shove, literally. Thus to save himself from being flattened against the fridge's door, he went in. Then suddenly he jumped back and over a laughing Tabitha who, thankfully, closed the door. "What's in there?" Fright and alarm filled his voice and an unnatural green tint overtook his face. Anyone who said Todd usually looked a little green didn't know what Todd looking green looked like. That, right then, more so than ever before, was Todd looking green, very green.

"Tea leaves," Tabitha replied between giggles. "I thought you would be stronger than that against the smell."

"Who could stand that?!" Todd took a sharp intake of breath. Suddenly Amanda's cappuccino didn't seem so bad in comparison to that odd selection of tea. The ice probably held the stench of the tea leaves and any shaved ice that could be made out of that would be most foul. He would just have to forfeit his hopes of getting a good tip now.

"No one, that's who." Tabitha ascertained. "It's really no wonder this place is going broke."

Todd nodded slowly then, on the topic of breaking, he went back to his previous curious inquiry about Tabitha's peculiar theory. "Why did you say Amanda is heartbroken?"

"A hot drink on a hot day or ice-cream in a chilly evening, it's the perfect distraction for one dealing with a recent heartbreak," Tabitha explained.

"There's a breakup about to happen..." Todd finally concluded. He followed Tabitha out of the kitchen and toward the area that held the tables past the counter. Thankfully, the manager was too focused on polishing a bottle of old wine to notice the white clad lady who was not to leave the kitchen, as that was the chef's place.

xoxox xox xoxox

Tabitha crawled behind the various tables and decorations, followed by Todd. The two silently made their way towards Kurt and Amanda's table unnoticed, and settled quietly under the table next to it to eavesdrop curiously.

"What I mean is..." Amanda was fidgeting with a delicately embroidered napkin, twisting the material nervously between her fingers. Such details as the fancy napkins and tablecloths were other reasons why the cafe was going broke. Yet even if Amanda, just as most people her age, could not afford to visit the cafe very often, she was glad to visit it when she could. It had a very calm and peaceful atmosphere of elegance to it, devoid of the rowdy crowds that gathered at the ice-cream parlors, malt shops and fast food restaurants all over the city. With her eyes downcast, as if the napkin was suddenly very interesting, Amanda gently trailed into silence. She smoothed out the napkin for lack of something to do and it became evident that she wouldn't, she couldn't, speak any further.

Kurt watched the wrinkles disappear from the napkin, Amanda seemed so nervous that he thought she would tare the fabric apart as easily as if it were a paper napkin from any other beverage and snack shop. But she didn't, she was too gentle, everything about her was gentle and sweet and it was all very nice, but it wasn't for him. He knew it now, this life he led was stressful to her and, even if it pained him to admit it, he liked the adventure in his life more than she ever could like it; more than she could even understand it. "You're breaking up with me." It was as clear as day now.

"I'm sorry..." Amanda kept her eyes downcast as if ashamed. "I'm so sorry... I just... I can't..."

"It's okay," Kurt interrupted. He was hurt, very hurt, but he could understand. This wasn't about him being a mutant and a blue one at that; this was about them being two very different people. She was quiet, timid and sweet and he was cheerful and adventurous. Their differences could not be reconciled, the chemistry between them wasn't strong enough, and perhaps it wasn't even there to begin with. "I understand," and he did, but it hurt.

Amanda slowly lifted her eyes and Kurt forced himself to smile slightly, in a friendly way. "Thank you for understanding and for everything." She was curious and he was interesting. To be sure he was nice and he had a kind and courageous heart, but they were not meant to be for each other as more than friends and now she knew it, she knew it beyond the shadow of a doubt.

Suddenly, the table cloth that shielded Tabitha and Todd from sight was violently pulled off the table with the decorative vase that had been in the center of it being tossed on its side. Natural white roses and water spilled over the table as the white base with delicate black and golden swirls rolled off the edge of the polished wood table and shattered as it hit the floor. "You're fired, both of you!" The manager and owner of the cafe shouted angrily at his irresponsible and improper chef and waiter. The old man had wondered where they had disappeared to and it was Tabitha's foot sticking out from under the tablecloth that gave away their position.

"What about my tip?" Todd complained unwisely.

The manager roared something incoherent in a mix of French and English that could neither be called French nor English. That was their cue to leave, thus Todd and Tabitha, dashed out, still in their uniforms, and didn't look back until they were a good distance away from the cafe.

xoxox xox xoxox

Breathless from all the hopping, Todd held on to the back of a park bench, leaning over in exhaustion. "I can't believe we got fired..." It was only an expression as he could indeed believe it and even unconsciously expected it.

Tabitha, far from being upset was laughing in amusement. "Did you see his face? Did you see how red his face was and how his mustache twitched and how his whole head swelled up and... and..." her voice was lost to laughter.

Todd grinned, "I guess that was kind of funny."

Noticing something peculiar, she pointed at the odd outlines that protuberated from his thin chest. "What's that?" She jabbed her right index finger at his chest. What was under his tuxedo blazer was hard and cold.

Todd removed two bottles of some fancy liquor. "I snatched them on the way out." He smiled, proud of himself.

Tabitha blinked in surprised amazement. "How in the world did you have the time?"

Todd shrugged, "I just did." A professional pick pocket had his ways.

"Thanks," Tabitha snatched one of the bottles from him, the one that looked most appetizing, though she very well knew that he wasn't offering her one.

Todd was going to protest, but knew all too well that he wasn't going to recover his stolen property, so he didn't bother trying. "You're welcome," he intoned with sarcasm. He examined the bottle he kept and imagined himself having a romantic dinner with Wanda, presenting the fancy drink for their delight.

"You're thinking of Wanda again, aren't you?" Tabitha correctly guessed. The look in his eyes was unmistakable.

"Yeah... but if anyone sees the bottle they'll take it. Especially Fred," Todd mused aloud.

"Why Fred?" Tabitha curiously inquired. "I know he loves to eat, but I didn't think of him as much of a drunk."

"He's not," Todd confirmed. "But he's been thinking about going to live with some relatives in Texas. Some aunt and uncle that were really fond of him as a kid. He's going to assume it's for a going away party or something, yo!"

"So Fred's going to Texas..." Tabitha mused over the thought. A slight bitterness akin to jealousy overcame her features. "I wish I had someone to go to," there was a hint of worry and it confused Todd. "Someone that would..." Tabitha shook the worry out of her head and smiled again, though it didn't reach her eyes. It was as if her concern had not yet completely faded to the back of her mind. Todd didn't know what that concern was, as far as he knew, Tabitha was just fine with her independence. Yet her situation had changed, but she wasn't about to reveal what troubled her, not yet, not unless she had to. Maybe her problem would go away on its own, she could only hope. "See you later," without warning, Tabitha said her goodbye and ran off with the bottle.

Todd held the distinct feeling that she had some kind of problem, but the notion only lasted seconds. This was Tabitha, strong independent Tabitha, she would be fine. Looking at his clothing, he finally realized that he had run off without changing out of the uniform he was provided with. The suit was a tad loose on his thin physique but he thought he still looked cool. He wondered if Wanda might think so too and rushed back to the Brotherhood house to show her.

xoxox xox xoxox

Meanwhile, back at the cafe, to say Kurt was embarrassed was an understatement, but he didn't care about that anyway. Though he understood that Amanda wasn't the one for him and had promised her his friendship, the mask fell as soon as she left the cafe, her missing order forgotten as much as his. He was hurt, he couldn't deny that. Amanda was the first girl who gave him a chance. He had liked Kitty first and did for a long time, even now, but she had always been, to the extent of his knowledge, out of reach.

Now the girl who gave him a chance had left his side, offering to remain only as a friend. They were not perfect for each other, but they had been mostly content and he could settle for that, because he still thought he should. Kurt still thought that he should be thankful and happy with what he got, because few would actually show an interest in him. But he was wrong, he didn't know of Kitty's growing feeling. It had taken her a while, certainly longer than him, but with the passing of time the special connection she shared with Kurt grew into love. Yet she feared it was too late and never spoke of it. Even so, such silences could not last forever...

To be Continued

What could Tabitha's problem be? Just in case anyone made an assumption because of the bottle, no, her problem is not alcohol. But she does have something that's bothering her that will be revealed in the coming chapters. Also more KurtxKitty and RemyxRogue is on its way!
Sign up to rate and review this story