Categories > Cartoons > X-Men: Evolution > Revolution

Chapter 09

by Mikari 0 reviews

Chapter 09: Expect the Unexpected

Category: X-Men: Evolution - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Humor - Characters: Avalanche,Blob,Jean,Quicksilver,Scarlet Witch,Toad - Published: 2012-07-03 - Updated: 2012-07-04 - 2291 words - Complete

0Unrated
Revolution

Chapter 09: Expect the Unexpected

Lance and Todd were in awe. They weren't sure if they should thank Wanda or stare in awe some more, amazed at her pure genius. There was a hole on the ground next to the Brotherhood house, it wasn't too deep, but it was deep enough. "Very good," Wanda commended.

"Great, great, I did great, I know, I'm awesome, I'm amazing, I rock!" Pietro slurred speedily. He was covered in dirt from head to toe and he would probably scream when he came out of his drunken stupor and saw the muddy mess that was his hair. But that didn't matter to him right now, because he was too focused on playing a game with his sister and friends. It was a fun game without a name and he was winning.

Fred came outside after going through his things to make sure once more that they were properly packed. Maybe he didn't want to forget anything, or maybe he wanted to put as much of 'home' as he could into his luggage. He was indeed thrilled to return to Texas, but he would miss his life in New York too. He would see how it went, how he adapted, and decide than where he would remain. "Do you think it'll be finished before I leave?"

Lance observed the pace at which Pietro brought in materials, piling them in the hole, making it square. Blocks and cement and other materials... "I think it'll be done in a few minutes! But if you cannon ball into our new pool, you might break it, or at least throw out all the water." Lance elbowed Fred playfully. The aspect of a new pool to stay cool cheered him up enough not to be bothered by his failed advances towards Kitty. Perhaps he'd give it a rest, really.

Thus it continued, until finally, the actual pool was dropped in carried by a whirlwind that lifted thins much too heavy for any ordinary one person to carry. The finish was not that of a master architect, but it was good enough. Among cheers and congratulations that Pietro would find a tad mocking if he was in his full senses, the speedy mutant finally collapsed and the atmosphere went silent.

Wanda was at his side immediately, feeling remorseful for having made him work so hard stealing materials and building a pool in record breaking time, just so she could cool off. "Pietro!" She was on her knees, gently placing her brother's head on her lap and pressing her cool hand against his warm forehead. "Too hot, all that running around must have given him a temperature."

Todd considered the possibility of fainting from heat exhaustion later and hoping for some such treatment from Wanda. He made a mental note to try it, as he reasoned that he had nothing to lose. The worse case scenario was that he was left lying on the ground and that was not the worse that ever happened to him. He tugged away the idea in the back of his mind for a more appropriate time devoid of real emergencies, though if he could manage to recall his plan at a later date or not was doubtful.

"We better get him inside," Wanda dictated with worry still filling her face and voice. Fred obediently picked up the unconscious Pietro.

Up the stairs of the house they went, with Fred silently nothing how light Pietro was, though to a mutant of his strength and size most people were light. He set Pietro down on his bed and stepped aside to grand Wanda passage to her brother's bedside.

"Thanks Fred," Wanda voiced.

Upon hearing the expression of gratitude that Fred only replied to with a simple, "no problem," Todd mused that he should have carried Pietro.

Granted, Todd was the shortest out of the Brotherhood boys and likely lighter than Pietro, but that wasn't the point. Fred didn't know how to swell up with pride at having done something for Wanda, he did.

xoxox xox xoxox

By the next day, things were going relatively alright. Ororo was recovered, Kitty and Kurt were spending a lot of time hanging out together and Remy had gotten the hang of his powers thanks to Rogue's help and life went on as always... for the most part at least. Pietro had woken up with a headache and no memories beyond drinking with everyone. He reasoned that he must have gotten drunk, which would explain the acute feeling of a hangover, but didn't know anything else beyond that. He could only hope he didn't do anything too stupid.

None the less, Pietro was happy to see that there was a pool next to the house, though he had no idea where in the world it came from. It looked like Lance was just finishing filling it with water, while yelling at Todd, who was floating in the water, that he better be telling the truth about having showered before jumping in. An impatient Fred cannon balled into the pool with a huge splash that send Todd flying with the force of the water being pushed out of its place in the pool.

The action sent Lance into a fit of complaints and profanity because he was the one who filled up the pool and he didn't even get to use it before he had to fill it up again. As for Todd, he landed face first flat on the ground like a road kill frog. Overall, Pietro thought it was pretty funny. He smiled and thought that it would be nice to enjoy a day at the pool and perhaps there was an amusing story about where it came from, though he had a foreboding feeling about that... None the less, a day of relaxation was just what he needed to get over the hangover.

Knocking was heard from the door of Pietro's room, "come in." He answered if only just to make the noise stop. Wanda came inside and inspected him critically while cringing. "What? Do I look that bad?" Pietro imagined that his eyes were red and his face puffy from the hangover. Maybe he would even have dark circles under his eyes if his face looked as bad as his head felt. Yet when he looked in the mirror he saw that his face wasn't in particularly bad conditions, but his hair was a mess.

"I'm sorry, I tried to clean your hair with a wet towel, but it didn't quite work out," Wanda apologized. She had to admit that the scene before her gave a whole new meaning to the term helmet hair. The mud had dried up and it looked like a very bad sculptor made a mud vase on his head.

Pietro was speechless. He searched for words in his head, some sort of expression of anger or reproach, but Wanda looked so very apologetic he didn't know what to say to her. The look in her eyes told him that this was somehow her fault and he would have to remember to get the full story later... out of Lance, or Todd, or Fred, but not from Wanda herself. He didn't want to make her feel worse, especially since she had been so peaceful to live with ever since her memories were replaced some time ago.

"I... can fix this..." Pietro told himself with little confidence at first; then repeated it more firmly as if to give himself hope. "I can fix this," with a truckload of shampoo. Wanda nodded and without further ado, Pietro vanished out of her line of vision in a speedy blur that headed towards the bathroom.

xoxox xox xoxox

Another day passed and it was time for Fred to leave. People gave the Brotherhood odd stares at the airport, some recognizing them as mutants and others wandering about the strange mismatched group. The looked over the electronic board and after a few minutes of wandering around lost, they made it to the proper terminal and waited for Fred to check in. Once that was done, all that they could do was wait and make small talk which of course included Todd and Lance poking fun at Pietro's hair and having him dump their refreshments over their heads.

"What a waste," Fred pouted, as if he didn't have enough going away snacks already.

The boys got into an argument about the state of Pietro's hair in a picture Lance claimed to have taken and locked away in the safety of his email so that Pietro couldn't just steal his phone and delete it. Fortunately, Pietro's hair was back to normal after being thoroughly washed, but he was seriously considering paying off some geek to hack into Lance's email. While their petty argument went on, with a security guard, who was blatantly ignored, occasionally telling them to keep their voices down, Wanda stood up to stretch her legs.

The boarding process for Fred's flight would not begin for another fifteen minutes or so. Wanda approached the large full wall sized glass window on the side of the terminal and looked out at the runway. An airplane was parked below, being refueled, with workers wearing orange vests running around it busily, checking its tires and looking at the turbines and under the wings for a round of basic maintenance. Another aircraft of a similar size with the logo of a different airline on its sides and tail, was taxiing to the take off runway, getting into position and speeding off. It rose above the ground and retracted its tires, elevating higher until it disappeared beyond the clouds in the distance.

A cart full of luggage was taken near the airplane that was being fueled. Most of the bags it carried were the common black of medium and large sizes, with others, rarer than those, appearing in many different colors and sizes. The workers busied themselves in connecting a conveyor belt to the cargo hold of the airplane, loading the row of bags inside. Wanda looked to another area were yet another airplane was. That one was connected to a jet bridge with passengers exiting at the terminal next to the one they were waited at. Wanda looked at the people coming out of the tunnel not too far away and recognized two of the passengers.

Jean glanced over at the Brotherhood with Scott sharing her curious and slightly disapproving look. The security guard kept hushing the loud quartet of young men and they continued to ignore him. Somehow, their topic of conversation had shifted from Pietro to pizza, though there was basically no real relation between the two themes. It all started when Fred began talking about pizza at random and the boys became locked in a debate about the best pizza topping.

Wanda's eyes met Jean's and she shrugged her shoulders, then went back to looking out the glass window at the various activities happening in the runway and aircraft parking. Jean chuckled as she gave Scott a reassuring nod, "it's okay," she ascertained. "They're not here to cause trouble. I could read no bad intentions in their minds. They're only here to see Fred off. They're a little unruly, but that's all."

"I guess we should let them be then," Scott concluded. The last connecting flight that he shared with Jean was full and the seats were not particularly comfortable, it was nothing like the X Jet. His neck was still stiff from the trip and jetlag made him yawn. He wanted to get back to the institute and rest.

Scott and Jean went on their way, but they only managed to walk a few steps before they were frozen by Wanda's voice crying out "stop!" They instinctively and automatically looked in her direction, though she wasn't talking to them. She was yelling because an airplane that looked like it had been getting ready to taxi to the runway had turned towards the glass window and was heading right towards them.

The pizza conversation immediately stopped as Fred, Lance, Pietro and Todd, stood up from their seats at the terminal waiting area, alarmed and alert. Scott and Jean joined them, with Jean using her psychic abilities to try to stop the aircraft from moving any further. The nose of the airplane was almost touching the glass, which it would undoubtedly shatter. Passengers were panicking, there were screams and running all around. "It's not working... I can't hold it..." Jean had her eyes closed in deep effort, but her mind couldn't hold out for much longer, her brained strained by the force of the approaching aircraft that pushed against her psychic hold.

The turbines started spinning faster and faster, though the airplane was on the ground. The impulse would be too much for Jean. "I'll blow up he engines!" Wanda offered unsure. It would be dangerous, but it seemed less dangerous than letting the situation progress as it was.

"No! The wings are full of fuel, if the engines catch on fire they'll explode and there are passengers inside!" Scott protested.

"Then what are we supposed to do?!" Fred reproached, angry at whoever was causing this on the day of his flight no less. Somehow, it didn't look like the pilots were in control of the vessel.

To be Continued

This chapter focuses on the brotherhood, though the main characters of the later most vital chapters of this story are still Kurt, Kitty Rogue and Remy. None the less, I do like the Brotherhood, so they were fun to write. Really, I have nothing against Pietro; in fact, he's my second favorite next to Wolverine. I just can't resist if he's fun to pick on.
Sign up to rate and review this story